Kings/Canucks Game Day Thread...

jfont
10-30-2003, 06:29 PM
where's herby and the regular gdt? :mad:

well, here's one and post your thoughts here...

jfont
10-30-2003, 06:57 PM
crap!

breakdown on defense...1-0 canucks

Herby
10-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Sorry...I've been battling the flu the last few days.

Kings just go down 2-0, awful goal allowed by Cechmanek.

Too bad because the Kings have dominated the game for the most part.

KingPurpleDinosaur
10-30-2003, 07:51 PM
how are miller/norstrom playing? i would have expected them to strengthen our defense. but it doens't seem like it is...

jfont
10-30-2003, 07:56 PM
score! finally dang it! 2-1.

Sam
10-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Belanger!

2-1 Nucks right now. And WTF was with Avery's penalty earlier? What was he thinking?

jfont
10-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Sorry...I've been battling the flu the last few days.

Kings just go down 2-0, awful goal allowed by Cechmanek.

Too bad because the Kings have dominated the game for the most part.
you get better man...take care...

anyway, cechmanek is always a slow starter...hopefully he'll play much better as the season goes along. come to think of it, kings are in trouble...he has to get out of this funk fast.

KingPurpleDinosaur
10-30-2003, 07:58 PM
did cech get pulled?

jfont
10-30-2003, 07:59 PM
did cech get pulled?
he's been replaced after giving up the first shot of the 2nd period on a very stopable shot.

Sam
10-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Yep. Huet's in now. Vancouver's second goal by D. Sedin was just weak.

KingPurpleDinosaur
10-30-2003, 08:02 PM
hah! there's a reason why i have my avatar as Huet....

GO HUET!!

Herby
10-30-2003, 08:06 PM
The Kings are dominating this game, been really unimpressed by the Canucks in this one.

KingPurpleDinosaur
10-30-2003, 08:08 PM
all cuase Huet wasn't in net my friend...

Face Wash
10-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Robitaille KILLED us on that play... He turned the puck over in the first place...

3-1 VAN

Herby
10-30-2003, 08:42 PM
When it rains it pours, man the Kings just domianted this game in all 3 zones, outshooting Vancouver by more than a 2-1 margin, but just had no luck either shooting or making plays, that fluke goal my Morrison just summed it all up perfectly. The Kings are working hard in these games, just don't have the firepower to put pucks in the net.

Herby
10-30-2003, 08:49 PM
1 goal on 30+ shots against one of the worst starting goalies in the NHL also isn't going to cut it either, the Kings offense is awol right now

LaVal
10-30-2003, 08:58 PM
HORRIBLE play by the Canucks tonight. absolutely brutal. the only reason we won was because Dan Cloutier was far and away the best player on the ice and stole the game. i'm really impressed at how the Kings dominated despite their injuries. lacked the finish on this one

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Andy Murray needs to be fired. Belanger is being *horribly* misused on the fourth line. And this is with Allison and Stumpel out with injury! His tenacity catalyzed around 5 plays tonight that should have resulted in goals had Sean Avery and Ian Laperierre displayed a modicum of talent. Christ, stick him with Palffy and Frolov and watch that line kick ass. That way you can keep Robitaille-Armstrong-Klatt together full-time too.

While we're on the topic of Sean Avery - I honestly believe he's the dumbest player I've ever seen. Boneheaded play after boneheaded play, and with 10 minutes to go who's he bothering? Cooke. Wow, we'll miss his significant offensive contributions :shakehead

jfont
10-30-2003, 09:16 PM
this is just crap! after making all these great plays, the kings need to finish. and don't give me this crap about getting snakebit. now i know palffy is having personal problems, but the others have to step up. luc keeps shooting which is good but the others need to crash the net hard.

seasons young but they need to get desperate cause if they don't, they'll be cathcing up again and you never know if they can even make the playoffs like last year. with deader and allison still out and their timetable for their return uncertain, they need more than the belanger line stepping up every game.

Herby
10-30-2003, 09:19 PM
I agree about Belanger, Murray has always insisted on using him in a checking role when I think he could be so much more. He is a great defensive center, IMO one of the best in the league, but that doesn't mean he can't create offense.

Another poor coaching move by Murray.

LuckyLUC20
10-30-2003, 10:04 PM
How frustrating... Kings totally outplayed the Canucks (esp. in the 2nd period) but end up with the loss.

I agree with you all... put Belanger on a scoring line... preferably with Ziggy. Come on Murray!

agentfouser
10-31-2003, 12:18 AM
i'm not down for belanger on a scoring line. i would certainly have him out for crucial faceoffs, i think he deserves power play time, and there's no doubt that he's got untapped offensive potential; i've been saying that he's going to have a breakout year all summer. but, he's played on scoring lines in the past, and i think that he's a lot more comfortable in a defensive capacity. he thinks defense first, and that's what he's best at. i say keep him in a stopper role, and put him with klatt and lapperierre, and you would then have a very effective checking line, capable of matching up against other teams' top units and still putting points on the board.

as for the game, i agree with laval, cloutier was the difference. chechmanek did not show up. we played very well, but, like others have mentioned, just did not have the finishing skills there tonight.

it is absolutely fantastic to have miller and nostrom back. cammalleri wasn't too effective tonight, i hope he gets back into the stride he had in preseason. the effort was there, so that's a good sign.

jfont
10-31-2003, 06:27 AM
i agree with fouser. belanger has been in scoring lines before but was not up to the challenge...but, being a year older and more mature, you never know if he'll really breakout if he's paired with ziggy...i say try him out on the scoring lines and then lets see what happens. what do you have to lose besides the 3 game losing streak? and its early enough in the season so you can experiment...hopefully an experiment that would pay off...

Old Hickory
10-31-2003, 06:28 AM
Andy Murray needs to be fired. Belanger is being *horribly* misused on the fourth line. And this is with Allison and Stumpel out with injury! His tenacity catalyzed around 5 plays tonight that should have resulted in goals had Sean Avery and Ian Laperierre displayed a modicum of talent. Christ, stick him with Palffy and Frolov and watch that line kick ass.

Belanger is a mystery. He excels on the 3rd line, but when he plays on the second line in offensive situations he disappears.
I know in the past he has asked Murray not to place him on the offensive lines. He likes thje role of a checknig center.

I do agree that if he had a finisher on his line his numbers could be amazing

guzmania
10-31-2003, 07:11 AM
Went to the game last night. Had great seats but it took a while for me to get accustomed to the view. I was right behind Cech when he got pulled. The shot came on a break away, it was right on the ice and went in off the bottom of the post, far side. I really don't consider that a soft goal. Boy, I wish he would have stopped it but, geez it wasn't shortside, under the arm or something.

Personally I'm really starting to worry about Frolov, he played on the perifory again last night. Al, shoot the puck, especially when you are in the slot. Try hanging out in front of the net.

Squid looked like he was a mad dog out there. His shifts were really excellent. Full bore effort. Pirnes looked good too.

The return of Matty and Miller was really special and they were really shutting down Nas and Bert. Better things are ahead for our D.

The Canucks are HUGE and move pretty well.

Cloutier gave up no rebounds, and there weren't many folks going to the crease to find one even if one dropped.

IGM
10-31-2003, 07:37 AM
Cloutier stole the game fro the Nuck but the rest of the team played their roles well too. Kudos to the Nucks for stealing one from us. Great job.

Kudos also to the Kings for playing their first real game of the season. We did lose but for once this year we saw a physical effort. We saw a team playing desperate hockey and it was great. Our total SOG allowed was 15 late in the third and I stopped paying attention after awhile so I don't know what it ended up as but that is GREAT team D. Chech looked awful and Huet looked great. CH could have saved the one he let in but I think that if he was given the start that the game would have been a 1 1 tie. RC shows signs of being the dominant goalie that he has been in philly but until he starts playing consistantly solid I would start Huet.

I think that I saw the worst game that AM has coached since he became our top dog and if you read between the lines of what he said after the game on fox (I tape the games) he sure was quick to lay blame. In fact, he has done ALLOT more of that this year then he has during his tenure as our coach. I have this feeling that HE will be the first to suffer if we don't start playing well soon. (within the next 11 games or so)

I am also wondering if it might not be time for the change. Now, I am not one of those "WE LOST SO FIRE OUR HIGH SCHOOL COACH" guys. He has more than shown that he is a very good NHL coach and that he belongs. I do think though, that we are beggining to see the same pattern of lack of TEAM effort that we saw most of last year. Now, I would continue to say that it is all because of injuries and that might be the reason, but, it is starting to look like the team might not be responding to him anymore and while that is unfortunate, it does happen in sports and if that is the case then there is really only one sure fire way to fix it. I hope it doesn't come to that because I like AM and would hate to see him go. However, if that is what it takes to make the team actually play the way they did last night EVERY GAME then I could live with it.

Look at what Nolan did with a far inferior team in Buff. Of course, I wouldn't advocate the moving of AM for awhile longer and then only if we had the right person in mind. It would be stupid and poor business to move him for an "interum" coaching situation with the coming CBA. IF it comes down to moving AM then it should either be at the end of the season OR if we have the right replacement in place. I think that we will be fine and that the team will bounce back and play well enough to keep us in it until blah blah blah and blah blah blah blah get back and that when that happens that we will see the team that is so great on paper take control. Of course, if that doesn't happen, I would expect to see AM sacrificed by the mid point or around there.

Congrats to the idiots who called into Kings Talk. Thank you for the obvious "When will" question that the lame HAVE to ask every freaking time ANYONE from the org stands still for a second.

Thank you also for the "DT DID NOTHING THIS OFFSEASON" BS that seems to be a growing opinion on the other board and among the lame that dominate Kings Talk. I would only answe them with, Look at our roster and compare this years and last years and then call me back. I also get a kick out of the "WE SHOULD HAVE SIGNED FEDS" camp. The guy is going to be almost 40 when his contract is over and with the exception of last year, HIS CONTRACT YEAR, he has averaged 67 points per season. $8 mill for 67 points, that's a great deal. Prospal is sure showing why he is worth the big money also. Look for another stellar 55 point season from him for the $4 per that he gets. (approx) They weren't worth the money. I am not going to go through that whole nightmare again but lets just say that the team is playing like it is missing its top two offensive players and like a team that has guys trying to do things that they aren't capable of doing every night. Now that Matty and Miller are back our D will be solid most nights and when Stympy gets back we will look better on O as well.

Of course, as long as AM uses guys like Frolov on our energy line and doesn't give Ebell any more responsibility then playing as a checking center I tend to think that our weaknesses will be easy to exploit but our talent will help us beat the weaker teams of the league, like we were doing at the beggining of the season.

GKJ
10-31-2003, 09:11 AM
1 goal on 30+ shots against one of the worst starting goalies in the NHL also isn't going to cut it either, the Kings offense is awol right now
At least you're blaming your offense. The Flyers would be blaming Cechmanek for that too.

I didn't see any of the goals except Ohlund's because my Center Ice just came back up today, but how the hell did the Kings not score on Cloutier but once? Maybe he's staking his claim for a starting job.

swinginutter*
10-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Dissapointing loss last night. Although we played a bit more physical, it still didn't cut it in my eyes. Most of the games that we've out-shot opponents in, the scoring opportunities were minimal. That unbelievable goal Modry scored a few games back has been a *****ing curse. He's shooting now everytime from no angle, that makes absolutely no sense. Why in the world AM would ever play Chartrand as a second line center is just baffling. And, who could ever figure out his line combos? The only one i've ever known is his third line, it never ever dismantles. Let's see last night it was supposed to be.

Brown/Robitaille - Army - Ziggy (1st line)
Frolov - Chartrand - Klatt (2nd line)
Avery - Belanger -Lappy (3rd line)
Cammy-Pirnes-Robitaille (4th line)

During the course of the night, these lines were scrambling all over the place. And, again where the ***** is Brennan. Get over Chartrand for five minutes, and let this guy play. All though we picked it up as a team last night in physical play we need a pure d*ck head in our lineup. Allen was crushing Avery with continuous cross checks that for some weird reason the ref wasn't seeing. Now my point is let Allen try doing that to Brennan, see WTF happens.
As far as the Avery comments, I disagree. He obviously bugs every fan out there. But more importantly he bugs the ***** out of every teams top players. If you didn't hate him i'd be disappointed. Everyone seems to be too caught up with his dumb penalties, and although he does take stupid ones from time to time, some of the calls this year against him were complete *****. It's his job to create havoc, and to get under the skin of top players and I love it. Even though Bertuzzi was patting him on the top of his head like he was his son, he still had Bertuzzi off of his game. Believe it or not, that's why every player on Vancouver was taking a run at him. Bertuzzi would have destroyed Avery, but Avery doesn't give a ***** and every team wishes they had one. He did the same to Colorado in Vegas, where three players were ejected because of him. AM needs to let him play his game, but our philosphy most of the time is to play like p*ssies! We lack nastiness in a major way. And the nasty players we have are wearing suits, sitting next to me.

jfont
10-31-2003, 09:38 AM
you really like these colorful metaphors, eh swinginutter?

KingPurpleDinosaur
10-31-2003, 12:53 PM
I think that I saw the worst game that AM has coached since he became our top dog and if you read between the lines of what he said after the game on fox (I tape the games) he sure was quick to lay blame. In fact, he has done ALLOT more of that this year then he has during his tenure as our coach. I have this feeling that HE will be the first to suffer if we don't start playing well soon. (within the next 11 games or so)

i dont get this comment. we were 4 out of our top 5 players out, you know this, and yet we're still a competitive team. Heck, at one point in time we were sitting atop the top of the conference, did you really think we could hold that spot when we're fighting off teams with the likes of colorado, detroit, dallas, vancouver, etc etc etc??

we were overachieving, that's fact. and the reason we were doing so was BECAUSE of andy murray. i'ts not like we were able to do it based on our skill alone and this was the norm. it woulda been nothing short of a miracle had we kept it all the way til the return of all our top players. i duno about you, bu tw/o our top 4 players, i expected us to get ties and losses at best.

plus, not many people said that we "didn't play well" last game, jsut that we couldn't get the damn puck in. so to say that the coaching staff isn't doing their job motivating their players when we outshot these guys 2:1 or that andy murray is going to be the fall guy if we continue to play tlike this is just ridiculous

LaVal
10-31-2003, 05:54 PM
I didn't see any of the goals except Ohlund's because my Center Ice just came back up today, but how the hell did the Kings not score on Cloutier but once? Maybe he's staking his claim for a starting job.

or maybe when Canuck fans say he's good during the regular season they are telling the truth.