One of the Biggest, Quietest Pluses of the Season

DJ Spinoza
10-31-2003, 12:46 PM
Brooks Orpik.

With Fleury starting off outstanding, Fata's good play this year, Koltsov's buzz, and other things, Brooks Orpik seems to be going unnoticed.

He seems to be getting better as the games go on. The only thing I don't like is that occasionally he goes for a hit when he shouldn't as well as occasionally he makes dirty hits.

But he is slowly adapting to the NHL and is not looking like a deer in the headlights.

I would rate his adaption to the NHL right behind Fleury for my pluses this season, no matter how unnoticed it is.

:handclap:

Big McLargehuge
10-31-2003, 12:50 PM
He's been our best defenseman IMO just above Melichar.

He's been great, very solid.

Koltsov71
10-31-2003, 01:19 PM
I agree that he does seem to be getting better every game. I still see some rookie mistakes, but they are bound to happen. Even with those, he's been one of our top defensemen this year.

JDB3939
10-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Koltsov, how's it feel to finally watching our favorite Pens doing well their first year in the league?

GO BROOKS!

AEKaki
10-31-2003, 03:21 PM
It's very awsome to see our favorite pens finally getting the chance and delivering.

I am talking about:
1-) Fleury: He has been THE best.
2-) Koltsov: Has played just indredible hockey and has improoved his all-around game.
3-) Orpik: Has been our BEST DMEN, better then Tarnstrom-Melichar.
4-) Malone: He's doing good.

I am hoping that soon we'll see Sivek or Beech or Surovy do the same and next year our D would get a boost with Whitney hopefully.

We'll have a good team in 2 years.

stardog
10-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Brooks Orpik.

With Fleury starting off outstanding, Fata's good play this year, Koltsov's buzz, and other things, Brooks Orpik seems to be going unnoticed.

He seems to be getting better as the games go on. The only thing I don't like is that occasionally he goes for a hit when he shouldn't as well as occasionally he makes dirty hits.

But he is slowly adapting to the NHL and is not looking like a deer in the headlights.

I would rate his adaption to the NHL right behind Fleury for my pluses this season, no matter how unnoticed it is.

:handclap:

AMEN...glad to see people seeing the same things I am. Orpiks development is a GREAT plus....still who do you think will be better in the long run? Orpik or Jackman?
And to see him doing this without a Pronger or MacInnis to guide him is amazing as well

Proffessor G DIDDY
10-31-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah I think the 5 best and most consistent players for Pittsburgh have been Malone, Koltsov, Fata, Orpik, and Fluery. Hopefully the coaching staff will also give guys like Murley, Surovy, Meloche, Lupaschuk and Scuderi the same respect as the 5 in Pittsburgh right, because quite frankly apart from Straka, Lemieux and Morozov, the rest of our Veterans have been average and in many cases poor.

The Tang
10-31-2003, 09:39 PM
yeah, orpik has been playing pretty good, but didnt we pretty much expect that? think about it: we HOPED fleury and Koltsov would play good, and were thinking fata MAY play good, but we've been high on Orpik since he got drafted, and most people agree he should have been on the team last year, so is this really a surprise to us? i think this is why he has been, as you say, a quiet surprise. we pretty much expected him to perform at a level at which he is at.

Big McLargehuge
11-01-2003, 06:18 AM
We've all been high on Orpik yes, but can you say you were honestly expecting him to step in and be our best defenseman right out of the gate?

GoPenguins
11-01-2003, 06:55 AM
Orpik has been our best defender in the last couple of games and has been one of our better defensemen all season. It seems like it takes a few games in the NHL to get used to the speed and skill level.

Now if we'd had Lupaschuk and/or Scuderi up here keeping him company from the beginning of the season, perhaps we'd have another rookie D-man settling into life in the NHL :)

The Tang
11-01-2003, 08:46 AM
We've all been high on Orpik yes, but can you say you were honestly expecting him to step in and be our best defenseman right out of the gate? not the best, but one fo the top, yes. i do think he would be making more rookie mistakes though, which hasnt been the case. i expected some more kaperistus type playing.

Wingboy2999
11-01-2003, 11:44 AM
I personally really enjoy watching Orpik play. Gotta love his hits and even when he does the dirty stuff. Next coming of Kaspy?

The Tang
11-01-2003, 11:46 AM
nah, he'll be better. he doesnt constantly fly off to make a hit instead of making a smart play. plus, Orpik is bigger and stronger, so hes better at pinning and clearing the net.

Robert Paulson*
11-01-2003, 11:54 AM
nah, he'll be better. he doesnt constantly fly off to make a hit instead of making a smart play. plus, Orpik is bigger and stronger, so hes better at pinning and clearing the net.
I agree. Brooks will be better than Kasparaitis defensively. He hasn't stopped improving since the beginning of the season.

DJ Spinoza
11-01-2003, 11:58 AM
I think Orpik showed today that he can be physical and throw his weight around while still being a good defensemen.

Hopefully there will be more games like this from Brooks.:handclap:

Koltsov71
11-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Another good game for him today. Several solid hits and good play in his zone.

Can't say enough good things about our four rookies thus far.

DJ Spinoza
11-01-2003, 12:24 PM
As well as guys like Fata, Bradley, even Melichar and Morozov.

The biggest plus is the adaption and improvement of the rookies and young players. The wins will come eventually, if a couple more players can do this.

Not this year, maybe not next year. But they'll come eventually.:)

puskarm
11-02-2003, 06:40 PM
I almost started a thread about how well Orpik has been playing -- happy to see I wasn't imagining it.

However, I think it's best to say Orpik is playing well, period. Being the best defenseman in Pittsburgh is like being the strongest man at Vassar. My dog could play the blueline better than Drake Berehowsky or Marc Bergevin. So calling him the best defenseman in Pittsburgh is hardly a compliment.

Nevertheless, Orpik has been playing much better -- to the point where he's looking like a steady defenseman. I think watching the Pens makes you feel like solid defensive play is somehow special. It's not -- it's what defenseman are supposed to do. Unfortunately, Orpik, a ROOKIE, is the only blueliner the Pens have who can actually play defense properly.

What I don't get is giving Berehowsky another second of ice time? Call up Lupaschuk already and at least let him play the point on the power play. I NEVER thought I'd say this, but boy I can't wait until Roszival gets back.

Holzinger and Berehowsky should never play another second in a Pittsburgh uniform. They are both god awful, period. Good to see they finally got rid of Bum-gartner.

Proffessor G DIDDY
11-03-2003, 12:07 AM
True those two are horrible and also Buchberger. I really think Buchberger, Holzinger and Bumgartner should be replace by Surovy, Meloch and Lupaschuk who have been canningly good in the AHL.