Opinion on Steigy

Pensfan66
10-31-2003, 09:09 PM
I think he's a terrible play by play announcer. Don't get me wrong he knows his stuff, but surely they could have found someone better. I for one would have liked to see Tab Douglas get a shot at it. Usually play by play guys have a certain flow to their voice and sound good for radio or TV. He doesn't have any of that. He sounds bad when he gets excited. Just because he's been loyal to this organization doesn't mean he should have just gotten the job.

Ric Flair
10-31-2003, 09:11 PM
I don't think he's very good either. Seems to me he spends to much time whining about how none of the refs like the penguins and they always miss calls on the opposition because of it.

Jacob
10-31-2003, 11:12 PM
I understand the action when I'm listening to him, that's all that matters.

Evilo
11-01-2003, 02:03 AM
I love him.

kutdacheez
11-01-2003, 03:18 AM
I think he's a terrible play by play announcer. Don't get me wrong he knows his stuff, but surely they could have found someone better. I for one would have liked to see Tab Douglas get a shot at it. Usually play by play guys have a certain flow to their voice and sound good for radio or TV. He doesn't have any of that. He sounds bad when he gets excited. Just because he's been loyal to this organization doesn't mean he should have just gotten the job.

I personally think he is below the average for a play by play announcer. Mike Lang (once, a long time ago) was one of the best radio play by play announcers.
Paul Stiegerwald, however, brings something else to the table. He actually knows whats going on. He visits the room and has more "current" info about what is going on than any of the (Penguin) announcers in the last 15 years. As Jacobv2 says . . . at least you know what is going on.

Big McLargehuge
11-01-2003, 05:17 AM
On the radio he's good because, as it's been said, he explains everything very well, but I can't stand him when he's doing TV games.

Koltsov71
11-01-2003, 06:55 AM
Steigerwald is decent.

Errey on the other hand..

The Tang
11-01-2003, 07:30 AM
i liked Steigy better when he was with lang. speaking of bad though, Lang doesnt even talk about the game half the time anymore

Koltsov71
11-01-2003, 07:43 AM
speaking of bad though, Lang doesnt even talk about the game half the time anymore

Yeah, I've noticed that too.

Der Schweinehund
11-01-2003, 12:05 PM
For once, I wish Lange would refer to the "biscuit" as the "puck." I think Lange can't escape from a Smurfville-like world of cliches.

It could always be worse...Joe Bowen or Rick Jeanneret.

Koltsov71
11-01-2003, 12:09 PM
It could always be worse...Rick Jeanneret.

Making fun of that guy is one of my favorite hobbies. I understand that he probably has a local group of fans that like him, but I simply cannot stand the guy.

Robert Paulson*
11-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Making fun of that guy is one of my favorite hobbies. I understand that he probably has a local group of fans that like him, but I simply cannot stand the guy.

Is that the Empire sports guy? I've listened to ONE Buffalo game on the radio, and never want to again because of this guy.

Koltsov71
11-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Is that the Empire sports guy? I've listened to ONE Buffalo game on the radio, and never want to again because of this guy.

Yep, he is the one on Empire.

The Tang
11-01-2003, 02:03 PM
For once, I wish Lange would refer to the "biscuit" as the "puck." I think Lange can't escape from a Smurfville-like world of cliches.

anyone else remember when he kept refering to Straka as the "sauerkraut kid" and no one knew what he was talking about? then edzo finally asked him ON AIR one night why he kept calling him that. he went on like that for about a year or something liek that

Der Schweinehund
11-03-2003, 04:18 AM

What's really awful right now is that with Lafontaine going into the HHOF tonight, that means sportscasts are full of highlight reels of him, and thus, I get to hear the "La-la-la-la-la-la-fontainnneee..." by Jeanneret over, and over, and over, and over again.

The only call worse was Jeanneret's "mayday, mayday, mayday" call. He has such a brutal voice - I would rather put my head into a doorframe and slam the door constantly instead of listening to Jeanneret.

Der Schweinehund
11-03-2003, 04:22 AM
anyone else remember when he kept refering to Straka as the "sauerkraut kid" and no one knew what he was talking about? then edzo finally asked him ON AIR one night why he kept calling him that. he went on like that for about a year or something liek that

I am really becoming somewhat impatient of Lange now. At one point, his Lange-isms were funny and creative. Now they are tiresome and extremely repetitive. Did his ability to develop new ones just stop? I mean it's like an 85-year old small-time comedian who uses the "take my wife...please" punch line for every joke.

But - Lange is still far, far better than most. Jim Hughston is the best in the game in my opinion for play-by-play.

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 04:46 AM
I am really becoming somewhat impatient of Lange now. At one point, his Lange-isms were funny and creative. Now they are tiresome and extremely repetitive. Did his ability to develop new ones just stop? I mean it's like an 85-year old small-time comedian who uses the "take my wife...please" punch line for every joke.

I don't mind his phrases so much. It's his actual play-by-play calling that seems to be lagging.

Der Schweinehund
11-03-2003, 08:53 AM
I don't mind his phrases so much. It's his actual play-by-play calling that seems to be lagging.

Can't say I really have noticed that part. That being said, I have only heard him regularly for the past three years (thanks to Center Ice) and that just might not be enough time for me to measure.

For me, I have seen/heard the decline of legendary HNIC voice Bob Cole. He was without question the single best play-by-play in the business, but has really lagged in the past 5 years. I hate to say it, but it has symptoms of age - forgetfulness and confusion being the prime things which are evident.

With respect to Lange, another thing bugs me - it's the tendency to have inane 5-minute discussions while the play is happening. I think there was one about NCAA football that he and Errey had during the season opener. Ok - I realize that NCAA football is a far, far, far bigger blip on the radar screen in US sports than the NHL is. But are there really viewers of the NHL game hankering and eagerly awating NCAA information while the game is going? (Well - maybe the answer is "yes")

Yet another thing that irks me, while we are on topic, is FoxSports Pittsburgh's broadcasts of the games. Take a page out of HNIC's book and crank up the volume of the background/crowd noise. It is annoying having virtually nil background/crowd noise. I don't consider it a low-attendance thing either, given FSP has always seemed to be low even with a rowdy/full house. It makes for a so much more appealing sports broadcast.

No Quarter
11-03-2003, 09:42 AM
What do you guys think of Phil Borque as a colorman. My self personally, I like both him and Errey. I think they both have great Knowledge of the game and throw in perspectives of certain situations that you just would not be thinking about at that time that are dead on the money.
But I don't think either are cut out for play by play.

The Tang
11-03-2003, 09:46 AM
What do you guys think of Phil Borque as a colorman. My self personally, I like both him and Errey. I think they both have great Knowledge of the game and throw in perspectives of certain situations that you just would not be thinking about at that time that are dead on the money.
But I don't think either are cut out for play by play.
i think Bourque is still getting used to it. teh first few preseason gaes you could tell he was struggling, but he seems to be getting better consistently. i think he will be a rpetty good color commentator. i dont know about play by play in the future, but im happy with where he is right now.

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 09:49 AM
What do you guys think of Phil Borque as a colorman. My self personally, I like both him and Errey.

I don't care for either one, personally.

GoPenguins
11-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Phil Bourque is kinds learning the ropes, so I have reserved judgement on his performance thus far. Bob Errey though has had a bit more experience. I must admit I am not too enamored with Errey so far. He seems to like stating the obvious (such as "you have to shoot the puck to score") etc.

Perhaps I am comparing him unfairly to Edzo. Edzo was a great color man last year and very entertaining. He and Lange had a good rapport. I am assuming it helped him land some Stanley Cup playoffs work for ESPN.