Yet another victim of Keenan's quirks

Captain8
11-01-2003, 10:26 AM
Samuelsson.

Flying under the radar, I still can't understand why he was scratched the other night. And I can't understand why Hordichuk, Messier, and Goren have been given opportunities on the top line while a much better all-around player (who can and does play a gritty game) has been ingnored.

More than ever, it appears that nothing will prevent Keenan from wreaking havoc with the roster and failing to establish any kind of cohesion.

In another thread, TFK made the point that a Shvidki callup would mean having to clear waivers if he is demoted again. Fair enough. And today, Russo tried to explain why Weiss was not called up. Well, maybe the rationale that trumps everything is Dudley's desire to protect them both from Keenan.

MoeHowardDavid
11-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Samuelsson.

Flying under the radar, I still can't understand why he was scratched the other night. And I can't understand why Hordichuk, Messier, and Goren have been given opportunities on the top line while a much better all-around player (who can and does play a gritty game) has been ingnored.

More than ever, it appears that nothing will prevent Keenan from wreaking havoc with the roster and failing to establish any kind of cohesion.

In another thread, TFK made the point that a Shvidki callup would mean having to clear waivers if he is demoted again. Fair enough. And today, Russo tried to explain why Weiss was not called up. Well, maybe the rationale that trumps everything is Dudley's desire to protect them both from Keenan.

Keenan should be allowed to experiment early in the season. Besides, Goren played well infront of the net on Thursday.

Heimy
11-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Just as interesting was the revelation that Dudley is relegating his decisions to the Rampage's director of hockey ops...

Dudley said: "I called San Antonio after the Philadelphia loss and asked [director of hockey operations] Bobby Jay, `If you had to pick a big guy who's playing well and can help us, who would you pick?' He said, `Lee Goren.' I said, `Send him up here.'"

So what are we left to believe?
A) our guru of hockey talent doesn't trust his own judgement
B) our master scout can't make a decision
C) our fearless GM would rather not be held accountable
D) our great architect doesn't know squat about players in his system
E) all of the above

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty cynical about the direction this hockey club is taking. :shakehead

Captain8
11-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Just as interesting was the revelation that Dudley is relegating his decisions to the Rampage's director of hockey ops...

Dudley said: "I called San Antonio after the Philadelphia loss and asked [director of hockey operations] Bobby Jay, `If you had to pick a big guy who's playing well and can help us, who would you pick?' He said, `Lee Goren.' I said, `Send him up here.'"

So what are we left to believe?
A) our guru of hockey talent doesn't trust his own judgement
B) our master scout can't make a decision
C) our fearless GM would rather not be held accountable
D) our great architect doesn't know squat about players in his system
E) all of the above

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty cynical about the direction this hockey club is taking. :shakehead

As with most GMs, I think a great deal of what Dudley says is BS -- sometimes out of habit.

But even that assumption would not detract from the impotence he has been projecting lately. We know that Keenan and Cohen have been running things as they see fit. And now enter Bobby Jay?

PUCKBOY99
11-01-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm no fan of either of these clowns, but what are the chances that he was looking for an opinion from someone that sees the players every night & thru training & he respected that opinion enough to call the guy up? From what I saw of Goren, he was anything but out of place...aside from the one BONEHEAD play, I thought he was very effective.

As far as Sammuelson, I missed a few games, but the first 3 it seemed to me that he was the best forward..........but who the hell am I ??? :D

Heimy
11-01-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm no fan of either of these clowns, but what are the chances that he was looking for an opinion from someone that sees the players every night & thru training & he respected that opinion enough to call the guy up? From what I saw of Goren, he was anything but out of place...aside from the one BONEHEAD play, I thought he was very effective.

As far as Sammuelson, I missed a few games, but the first 3 it seemed to me that he was the best forward..........but who the hell am I ??? :D

Of course you're right PUCKBOY99...but I'm still not done blowin' off steam from the waiver draft. :cry:

Clash*
11-01-2003, 04:48 PM
FWIW, Bobby Jay was hand picked by Dudley to run the hockey operations for San Antonio. He's one of Dudley's guys, so I believe he's just askin one of the guys he trusts for their opinion, especially since he's seein him nitely

justapantherfan
11-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Of course you're right PUCKBOY99...but I'm still not done blowin' off steam from the waiver draft. :cry:

You and me both. Especially after tonights butt whipping. I can only imagine how we can throw out 2 goalies in the same draft. I can only :handclap: the management for thier great work.

Goren may not be the best player on our team but you have to give him credit, at least he goes and hangs out in front of the net.

Although I do not remember seeing him on the ice to much tonight.

PUCKBOY99
11-02-2003, 03:45 AM
I wonder what would happen if they sent the top 6 to San Antonio & brought up their top 6 if it was made clear that someone needs to stand in front of the net &/or shoot the puck????

I know this would & could not happen......but damn it sure SHOULD!!!! :mad:

justapantherfan
11-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Well you need not worry about Goren I guess. From what I read he was sent back after the game. :mad: That's what is sad. Have an off night and you get sent back.

PanthersRule96
11-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Referring to Goren being sent down,

In limited ice time, he was a minus 3 and deserved every one of those minuses according to the Sun-Sentinel.

I'd have to think that since Goren must clear waivers I think, Weiss or Shvidki will be the next callup, or (I hope not) Beaudoin.

Clash*
11-02-2003, 04:41 PM
I'd have to think that since Goren must clear waivers I think, Weiss or Shvidki will be the next callup, or (I hope not) Beaudoin.
If Shvidki doesn't stick, he'd have to clear waivers as well. so I don't see him bein the call-up. Especially after goin pointless now in a few games. as for Weiss, this comes from the Palm Beach Post...

One prospect, center Stephen Weiss, is becoming "a dominant player" at the AHL level, General Manager Rick Dudley said. Weiss has played well enough to earn a call-up, but Dudley is inclined to keep him there for now. "We want him to think he's the cat's meow," Dudley said. "Because a confident kid with that kind of talent level is going to be that much more effective when he does get here."

I only see guys that can shuffle back and forth that they'd want to get some NHL experience bein called up. The Taticek's and Campbell's. Only reason bein, they don't have to clear waivers and management wants to have them see first hand what the NHL takes to succeed.