11-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Ten Games, Nine Points

Negatives:
1) Burke's and Boucher's Inconsistent play
2) we haven't won a game in two weeks

Positives:
1) Bierk - best goalie this year is also the cheapest
2) Doan - Mini Bertuzzi?
3) Nagy - 30 seems very likely. 40 is not out of the question.
4) Mara - 50 point season?
5) Tanabe - huge minutes and fantastic skating

Team has been very competitive and very entertaining thus far and look far from a squad that I would designate as worst in the league. It's looking more and more like we will be a bubble team and should finish anywhere from 12th to 20th.

winnipegjets4life
11-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Positives:
1) Bierk - best goalie this year is also the cheapest
I think its time to stop waitin for boucher to regain his confidence and time to deal him and make bierk the permanent back up (possibly starter until one of the minor leaguers are ready, and i mean after Burke leaves)

2) Doan - Mini Bertuzzi?
I'd like to think so, but not quite. I'm happy with his startand i hope he keeps it up. If he does....he should get a call to the all star game.

3) Nagy - 30 seems very likely. 40 is not out of the question.
I think this is the year he breaks 30.....my guess is around 35...not quite 40 yet

4) Mara - 50 point season?
Doubt it....40 points is more reasonable.

5) Tanabe - huge minutes and fantastic skating
PLeasant suprise! i thought he would not be abything special but he's been playing important minutes as well

i didn't really have much to say bout the negatives......good points hbk
thats my 2 cents

hbk
11-01-2003, 01:32 PM
The goaltending problem - Phoenix style

a) keep Burke and trade Boucher. Burke retires and we are left with Zac Bierk and JM Pelletier as our goalies for at least one season until LeNeveu is ready to push for a starters job. Realistically, we could be forced to deal for another netminder. Making a trade to make another trade is never a good thing (see Buffalo and the upcoming decision to move Tim Connelly).

b) Keep Boucher and deal Burke. Takes time to find a squad willing to take Burke at a price the Coyotes are willing to accept. The real question is what other assets would we have to part with to get a deal done. Are left with two NHL capable netminders and potentially some useful assets.

I still prefer option b. Burke seems to be playing like he's distracted. I think he expects to be gone and the sooner Phoenix can make a move, likely the better.

Waldo
11-01-2003, 01:35 PM
You've covered the positives really well. I would like to comment on a couple of others. Although not an offensive force, I've really liked the way Gratton has been playing. He's been doing much of the unheralded but important play, such as playing rugged, sticking up for his teammates, winning important faceoffs, and playing a solid defensive game. I think he will be scoring some goals but I think he has been underrated overall. He is a team guy and a consistently hard worker. He was a good pickup and I'm happy with his play. Another player that has not been getting much mention is Hulce. He plays a solid physical defensive game and is our top +/- guy at +6. Both these guys were getting a lot of negative comments about them when acquired but have turned out to be very solid contributors.

Hoot
11-01-2003, 01:44 PM
The goaltending problem - Phoenix style

a) keep Burke and trade Boucher. Burke retires and we are left with Zac Bierk and JM Pelletier as our goalies for at least one season until LeNeveu is ready to push for a starters job. Realistically, we could be forced to deal for another netminder. Making a trade to make another trade is never a good thing (see Buffalo and the upcoming decision to move Tim Connelly).

b) Keep Boucher and deal Burke. Takes time to find a squad willing to take Burke at a price the Coyotes are willing to accept. The real question is what other assets would we have to part with to get a deal done. Are left with two NHL capable netminders and potentially some useful assets.

I still prefer option b. Burke seems to be playing like he's distracted. I think he expects to be gone and the sooner Phoenix can make a move, likely the better.

I agree. Trade Burke to a contender; there really isn't much left for him to play for in Phoenix exept professional pride.

hbk
11-01-2003, 01:45 PM
You've covered the positives really well. I would like to comment on a couple of others. Although not an offensive force, I've really liked the way Gratton has been playing. He's been doing much of the unheralded but important play, such as playing rugged, sticking up for his teammates, winning important faceoffs, and playing a solid defensive game. I think he will be scoring some goals but I think he has been underrated overall. He is a team guy and a consistently hard worker. He was a good pickup and I'm happy with his play. Another player that has not been getting much mention is Hulce. He plays a solid physical defensive game and is our top +/- guy at +6. Both these guys were getting a lot of negative comments about them when acquired but have turned out to be very solid contributors.

good points.

really, my take on the 2003-2004 Coyotes is they are exceeding expectations and more importantly several players who are cornerstones of this franchise are developing their abilities at a faster rate than any of us expected.

XX
11-01-2003, 03:37 PM
several players who are cornerstones of this franchise are developing their abilities at a faster rate than any of us expected.

Reason number #1 why this season looks like a half assed next season.

ulf
11-01-2003, 04:31 PM
the good: the yotes are an exciting young team playing an entertaining brand of hockey.

the bad: the record is probable indicative of our talent but no wins in 7 hurts.

the ugly: burke's play