Caron

Rowsdower
11-02-2003, 03:49 PM
After Fleury's incredible start I think it's safe to say he is here to stay, has won the starting job and will likely be the Pens starter for a long time....because of this, I am curious if anyone else thinks it may be a good idea to deal Caron....I figure we could get a nice return for him from a team looking for some youth in goal (perhaps Calgary?)...it's obvious nobody wants Aubin so we could just bring him back up and let him backup Fleury....dunno...it seems like it could work....what do you guys think we could get for him...

kutdacheez
11-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Caron who?

Big McLargehuge
11-02-2003, 04:08 PM
err...Caron?

I'd say it's way too soon to part with him.

Jeff Goldblum
11-02-2003, 04:11 PM
I feel bad for Sebastien Caron. He proved he was going to become a good NHL goalie, and when we picked Fleury, his confidence was killed. Hopefully he will be stellar in the chances that he is given. If we could trade Caron along with Kraft for a young forward with good potential, I'd be happy. I just think Caron has the talent to succeed as a starter, and should'nt live in the shadow of MA Fleury. Keep him or trade him, I'm happy either way.

tom_servo
11-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Unfortunately, Caron is getting pressure from Fleury and now Chiodo. He's still got to prove himself.

The Tang
11-02-2003, 06:53 PM
but the question is, could we get anything for him? there is zero goalie market right now, two teams with servicable back ups that no one wants.

and quite frankly, i dont trust aubin in goal for the pens.

Ticallion961
11-02-2003, 08:14 PM
but the question is, could we get anything for him? there is zero goalie market right now, two teams with servicable back ups that no one wants.

and quite frankly, i dont trust aubin in goal for the pens.

I'd be happy if Aubin never comes to pittsburgh again, and i doubt he will. It seems as though Chiodo is outplaying him in WBS

Der Schweinehund
11-03-2003, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't be too eager to move Caron. He has almost 4 years more of physical/conditioning maturity than Fleury. Fleury will suffer fatigue at some point and I can see Caron getting more playing time in spurts - probably around December and February. Besides, when he signed the 4-year deal he would have had to have known that he would be second fiddle to Fleury, most likely sooner than later.

That being said if a deal comes along that is very positive for our team, then I think it is insane not to jump on it.

From the sounds and looks of it, I guess Chiodo's not looking like too shabby of a 7th round pick thus far. Maybe he is destined to be the long-term backup for Fleury when all is said and done.

AEKaki
11-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Sportsnet (Canada) always questions Edmonton's goalie situation lately on their weekly HockeyNews segment.
Edmonton always had strong goaltending, and Caron is just that.
We could get a nice return from Edmonton.

Other teams?

Toronto - Belfour's 1 year experience was nice, but he has been really struggling this year. No idea what we could get from that team.

New York Rangers - You just never know with that team, that's why I named them.

San Jose - Nabokov hasn't looked sharp so Caron might attract interest.

Calgary - Definetely this team needs an upgrade in goal. With Turek injured and just awfull for them, like some Flames fans say, this team could look at Caron.

Washington - If they unload as "rumoured" Kolzig, then they might ask for Caron's value.

Now, I am a big fan of Caron.
He really impressed me last year.
I obviously prefer Fleury, but I still like little Caron.
If we find a nice package, which is possible, because the market for goaltending is not dead for young goaltenders. Some teams might think that he's another Lalime...

The Tang
11-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Sportsnet (Canada) always questions Edmonton's goalie situation lately on their weekly HockeyNews segment.
Edmonton always had strong goaltending, and Caron is just that.
We could get a nice return from Edmonton.

Other teams?

Toronto - Belfour's 1 year experience was nice, but he has been really struggling this year. No idea what we could get from that team.

New York Rangers - You just never know with that team, that's why I named them.

San Jose - Nabokov hasn't looked sharp so Caron might attract interest.

Calgary - Definetely this team needs an upgrade in goal. With Turek injured and just awfull for them, like some Flames fans say, this team could look at Caron.

Washington - If they unload as "rumoured" Kolzig, then they might ask for Caron's value.

Now, I am a big fan of Caron.
He really impressed me last year.
I obviously prefer Fleury, but I still like little Caron.
If we find a nice package, which is possible, because the market for goaltending is not dead for young goaltenders. Some teams might think that he's another Lalime...

edmonton- i dont see then going after anyone really. theyll most likely stick with Salo. the criticism mostly comes in the play offs for him.

toronto- i can see them wanting a young goalie (Belfour is old and Kidd jsut sucks), but like you said, what would they guve us? they gave up most their young guys for Nolan and they wont part w/ a d-man like Kabrle or McCabe.

NY- i just dont see it

SJ- theyre trying to trade kiprussuf and have that Tesla, Toskala, whatever his name is. i dont see much interest from them at all.

Calgary- i wouldnt put it past them. and that turek contract is haunting them big time. i cant beleive the owner approved of it. i would have fired the gm for just suggesting that.

Washington- they have Oulett in the minors, i dont see them trading for a gaolie. if Kolzig is dealt, i can see them going after Hurme or Boucher who have 1 year left on their contracts. they need defense more than anythign at this point.

davemess
11-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Trading Caron now would be a huge mistake, the return would be minimal compared to his potential worth to this team as Fleurys back up for the next few years.

If Caron can prove himself further in the NHL then his trade value will only increase and thats good for the Penguins long term.

Only reason to considering trading Caron now is if you believe he will fail to become an NHL goalie, nobody should believe that at this point.

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Trading Caron now would be a huge mistake, the return would be minimal compared to his potential worth to this team as Fleurys back up for the next few years.

If Caron can prove himself further in the NHL then his trade value will only increase and thats good for the Penguins long term.

Only reason to considering trading Caron now is if you believe he will fail to become an NHL goalie, nobody should believe that at this point.

Agreed.

Der Schweinehund
11-03-2003, 02:55 PM
toronto- i can see them wanting a young goalie (Belfour is old and Kidd jsut sucks), but like you said, what would they guve us? they gave up most their young guys for Nolan and they wont part w/ a d-man like Kabrle or McCabe.

The Leafs have their young goalie already - Mikael Tellqvist. He has been solid this season. And as much as one can criticize Belfour this year (and believe me, I am a professional Maple Leaves critic), it really has been an awful defense, not Belfour that has been at fault.

The Pens just shouldn't trade Caron right now unless it is just a stupid-killer, Milbury-esqe deal (eg. Comrie and a pick for Caron) that just isn't going to happen regardless.

Robert Paulson*
11-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Charpentier (sp?)

Yup, that's how you spell Charpy's name :)