Claude Lemieux

Claude4Eva
11-03-2003, 04:19 AM
Hi Devils fans!

Being a die hard Claude Lemieux fan I was wondering if you guys would have liked to have Claude back for 1 more season. I loved it when he was with the Devils and I found the fans treated him really well (like he deserved to be ). The Stars ruined him and cuz of them he is nowhere. I know he wants to become general manager and I hope his wish is fufilled soon cuz I'm missing hockey season without Claude.

Tbg1515
11-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Hi Devils fans!

Being a die hard Claude Lemieux fan I was wondering if you guys would have liked to have Claude back for 1 more season. I loved it when he was with the Devils and I found the fans treated him really well (like he deserved to be ). The Stars ruined him and cuz of them he is nowhere. I know he wants to become general manager and I hope his wish is fufilled soon cuz I'm missing hockey season without Claude.

I would try him for a season, on maybe a fourth line or even Gomez and elias' line Scotty and Claude clicked when he was here in 2000......I d say if he's cheap why not

4check22
11-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi Devils fans!

I love the guy. It killed me when he left here the first time, and the second time was crushing as well. Bring the man back to Jersey. I also like having him on a line with Elias and Gomez. People will say that he is too slow and has no business being on a line with such speed, but I can remember him having amazing bursts of speed just a couple years back with Phoenix. When he is motivated, he is a force. I honestly think that he has been unmotivated to play the past two years. Playing with a winning organization like the Devils might breathe some life into those old lungs.

MattNJD
11-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi Devils fans!

First off, your user name is AWESOME!!! :handclap: I am also a very die hard Claude fan, and I consider him my favorite Devils of all time!! As far as bringing him back for one last kick I just don't know. My heart screams "yes", but my head says "maybe not". If signing him means benching Rupp or Berglund than I don't think its a very good move. Those guys need NHL time if they are going to develop. However if signing him means more team accountability, a stronger NJ playing system, and a rebirth of Gomez than I can deal with Rupp & Berglund riding the pine for another year. There are roster problems however. Who goes to Albany?? Both Rupp and Bergs would have to clear waivers and that just ain't happening. Either of them would be taken by the first GM that had a shot on the waiver wire. It would make sense to me that both David Hale and Paul Martin could spend the entire year in Albnay developing skills but the Devils mgt seems set on having them both in the NHL. So in answering your question about bring Cluade back to Jersey, I simply am not sure. I have to put my faith in Lou on this one. He'll make the right move in the long run. If that means bringing him back I'm ALL FOR IT! If it just doesn't make sense right now I'll always have 95 and 00 to remember #22 in red in black with a Cup over his head.

Unthinkable
11-03-2003, 05:09 PM
If signing him means benching Rupp or Berglund than I don't think its a very good move. Those guys need NHL time if they are going to develop.

Bingo. This is far more important to me then bringing Claude Lemieux back to the team for one last grand finale. I like Lemieux, but lets stick with Rupp, Bergs, PIkkarainen, and Pihlman for now hopefully filling that void from within. Lou drafted them for a reason. If Pikkarainen can play anywhere close to the game that Essa Tikkanen did in Edmonton, we're in for some very interesting times down the road. Maybe Pihlman will be the next Claude Lemieux here with the Devils.

However if signing him means more team accountability, a stronger NJ playing system, and a rebirth of Gomez than I can deal with Rupp & Berglund riding the pine for another year.

Benching Rupp for a whole season would be a three steps backwards mentality for this organization right now. Its time to show Milbury the error of his ways in letting him go. Rupp is our best shot of having a legitimate power forward in the lineup right now. These types of players aren't easy to find by any means. You find them and you bring them along slowly development wise.

NJDevils#4
11-03-2003, 05:24 PM
I always liked Lemieux, but he's days are over. The memory is good enough, but we have guys like Rupp and Berglund that need to play that kind of position on our team. If we were like 2-6-2 or whatever ,then maybe I'd say yes.

Zednikfan20
11-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Yes, Lemieux's best days are behind him, but he is still Claude!!!

He has more heart in him than most of the players around the league.

The Devils were the best team for him. I just can't believe a season has begun without PEPE!!!

Niedermayer21
11-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Elias--Gomez--Gionta/Lemieux
Friesen--Madden--Langenbrunner
Berglund--Rupp--Lemieux/Gionta
Pandolfo--Rasmussen--Stevenson
Brylin, Larionov, and Marshall

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--White
Martin or Hale/Albelin or Brown

Brodeur
Schwab

I think that Martin and Hale could shuttle between Albany and the Devils in order to get the maximum playing time and experience. Whoever is playing best plays in the NHL. Gives each a little more incentive. Also, Albany needs a veteran d-man down on the farm. I could see Albelin and Brown moving up and down without worry of being claimed. If one is claimed, then so be it. Or they could rotate conditioning stints, but I don't know how long Lou can get away with that. Maybe his friendship with Bettman will make the league look the other way. :dunno:

That would make room for Claude Lemieux. I have Brylin, Marshall, and Larionov as extras, but they would play almost full-time with whomever is playing poorly at center or wing sitting out in favor of them. If Rupp is playing well, then maybe Rasmussen isn't. If Gomez is slumping, then Larionov could be moved to the top line for a game or so. If Berglund or Gionta are not producing, then Brylin fills in for the guy who is playing the worst. We all know Turner Stevenson will not be healthy for the rest of the season, so when he is out, Claude plays. Claude can also play for Gionta against some of the more physical teams.

Hey, if he has nothing left, then we let him go. But he is worth taking a shot at for one last season, just as we are letting Larionov play his last season with the Devs. After this season, the kids will take over, especially if there is no season next year. A lockout gives Parise and Tallackson and Vrana and Khomutov more time to be NHL-ready.

Should Grant Marshall need surgery, or should he require a long stint on IR, then Claude should definitely be signed. That would be the best case scenario for bringing Claude back IMO, although I hate to see Marshall sidelined for too long. He was great for us in the playoffs and apparently loves being a Devil.

Tough call. That is why Lamoriello gets paid the big bucks!!! :D

Claude4Eva
11-04-2003, 04:19 AM
I know he's kind of old now :confused: but it's still great to see that many of you appreciate him. I still can't believe he's not playing though :shakehead . When my husband and I saw him last year he told us he would probably retire after this season and I freaked out. Talk about getting a wake up call when I heard the Stars told him to retire or go to the minors wtf??? and then I really couldn't believe when they put him on waivers and nobody picked him up. How sad.....