David Koci

Big McLargehuge
11-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Has anyone seen the guy play this year? Every report I've heard of him- be it from camp or Wilkes-Barre- has been extremely impressive.

Apparently he's hitting anything that moves and has been responsible defensively. Dejan Kovacevic said he and Lupaschuk have been the Baby Pens best defenseman thusfar in yesterday's paper.

I'm just confused since the guy could barely crack the AHL last year.

Evilo
11-03-2003, 09:31 AM
He has a great +/-. That's all I know ;)

The Tang
11-03-2003, 09:48 AM
i was very surprised when Dejan said he would be a call-up if a stay at home was needed. funny cause he didnt do all that well in preseason, but he seems to be doing good now.

Big McLargehuge
11-03-2003, 09:51 AM
He must have done something to get the Pens interested. He was one of the final cuts in pre-season.

Jeff Goldblum
11-03-2003, 10:52 AM
He must have improved drastically. I saw him in the ECHL last year, and he wasn't even teh best defender on his team.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
11-03-2003, 12:51 PM
I didn't even think he was still with the organization untill I heard he was at training camp.

Seabass
11-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Has anyone seen the guy play this year? Every report I've heard of him- be it from camp or Wilkes-Barre- has been extremely impressive.

Apparently he's hitting anything that moves and has been responsible defensively. Dejan Kovacevic said he and Lupaschuk have been the Baby Pens best defenseman thusfar in yesterday's paper.

I'm just confused since the guy could barely crack the AHL last year.
He's been playing very well, but he's still dumb as an ox.

Big McLargehuge
11-03-2003, 01:28 PM
so was Moran and he stuck around for 8 years.

GoPenguins
11-03-2003, 01:43 PM
I sincerely hope Lupaschuk, Scuderi or Boileau get the call over Koci, in that order. No disrespect to Koci, but with Focht and Melichar, as well as Orpik, we have a nice group of rugged defensemen with size. Someone mobile with decent size, like the afore mentioned three, would better suit this team.

Koci's size will make people think he's the second coming of Mike Wilson. He is a decent AHL defenseman but I think he'd struggle bigtime with the speed and pace of the NHL. He might hit well, but he has to be able to catch them to hit them :)

Big McLargehuge
11-03-2003, 02:03 PM
I'd like to see him get a chance at some point.

Granted I love these types of defenseman.

PensFan68
11-03-2003, 07:42 PM
I'd like to see him get a chance at some point.

Granted I love these types of defenseman.

I agree. It would be nice to see what he could do. I'm a huge fan of the physical style of play.

Then I think that he spent most of last two years in Wheeling and wonder if it'd be a wise choice. Although he's still young.

See, I can't even make up my mind now. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't be disappointed if he got called up over someone else just to see what he could provide(if he continues to play well in WBS).

Canadian Chris
11-03-2003, 08:13 PM
I remember watching Koci here in Prince George, and figured at the time he could do ok in the NHL just because of his size, and he's a pretty strong guy. Then last year I hear that he's struggling and now apparently he's coming back around. Well that is damn good to hear.

I really really enjoyed our PG Cougar Defense when we had him, Hamhuis, Christian Chartier(baby leafs) and Wedderburn(Baby Avs....hershey?) on the back end....those were the good days :p

tom_servo
11-03-2003, 08:17 PM
I'd give Lupaschuk the nod first, but I'd like to see what Koci can do. I didn't know he was 6'6".

PensFan68
11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/penguins/20031104babypens1104p8.asp

Speak of the devil. An article about him in today's Post Gazette.