Does Schwab get a start this week?

tmg
11-03-2003, 10:11 AM
The Devils play Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. Typically, on a three-games-in-four-days, the backup will get one of the back-to-back games. But it may be better to use Schwab against out-of-conference San Jose and use Brodeur two nights in a row against in-conference contenders Toronto and Ottawa.

So, what do you think is the plan? Schwab for San Jose Wednesday, Toronto Friday, Ottawa Saturday, or none of the above?

Unthinkable
11-03-2003, 10:23 AM
The Devils play Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. Typically, on a three-games-in-four-days, the backup will get one of the back-to-back games. But it may be better to use Schwab against out-of-conference San Jose and use Brodeur two nights in a row against in-conference contenders Toronto and Ottawa.

So, what do you think is the plan? Schwab for San Jose Wednesday, Toronto Friday, Ottawa Saturday, or none of the above?

San Jose makes the most sense to me, but I could see him getting the start against Toronto with the way they have been playing defensively lately.

tmg
11-03-2003, 10:39 AM
San Jose makes the most sense to me, but I could see him getting the start against Toronto with the way they have been playing defensively lately.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably best that Schwab starts against Toronto. He had two starts against Toronto last season and allowed a total of one goal in the two games (unfortunately for the Devils, that one goal-allowed was in a game in which they failed to score any goals).

Tbg1515
11-03-2003, 11:26 AM
I think he should play against San Jose, but he could also start against tToronto his former team, no matter when starts he will not get Ottawa!

4check22
11-03-2003, 01:26 PM
I think he should play against San Jose, but he could also start against tToronto his former team, no matter when starts he will not get Ottawa!

You may be right, but I don't think Burns would refuse to use Schwab against any team at this point in the season. I can remember games when Colorado would use Aebischer or Billington against Detroit in the hay-day of their rivalry. It makes sense to use Schwab in the middle game to break up Marty's two starts in four nights. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Schwab in against either the Leafs or the Sens -- too early matter right now, especially when you can prevent an early season injury to Marty from being overused.

Missionhockey
11-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Start him versus Toronto. This way Marty's fresh for Ottawa possibly the most dangerous team in the league. Not that Toronto's a slouch but its not like the Devils can't win with Schwab in net. He still gives them a good chance to win.