Kara Yorio has to be the only person who didn't get her moneys worth the other night

Unthinkable
11-03-2003, 08:20 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1810388

KARA YORIO
Nov. 3, 2003 12:17 p.m.

It was a new view the other night. Got to sit in the stands with the fans and watch the game like a customer. The seats were pretty good, up just enough and in the corner, a great view of the near goal but a lot of guesswork on play at the other end.

The arena was jumping: Devils-Flyers in Jersey. OK, jumping might be an exaggeration, but there was a 10-year-old a couple of rows back who didn't miss an opportunity to yell. In a particularly nice moment, he tried to chant along with the crowd. "Rangers suck!" he shouted. The woman with him leaned down and spoke in a teacher-like tone. "They're saying 'Flyers suck,' " she corrected.

Ah, the passing down of hockey through the generations. And people say this sport will die if it shuts down. With tradition like that?

So all was well in section 103, row 14, seat 10 when I glanced at the ticket. Ninety dollars. Was this worth $90? There were some good, intense moments, but the game-winning goal was an unscreened shot that hit the glove of Flyers goaltender Jeff Hackett. For $90, he should have caught that. For $90, maybe a little overtime would have been nice.

So who and what is worth the high price of admission these days? If a family is sitting at home with $400 to burn, which game is worth a trip to the lower bowl?

Granted, I myself wouldn't have spent 90 bucks for a single ticket to any hockey game, but still this was as intense of a regular season game as you can find with more action and hitting then you see in most playoff games.

ginner classic
11-03-2003, 08:39 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1810388

KARA YORIO
Nov. 3, 2003 12:17 p.m.

It was a new view the other night. Got to sit in the stands with the fans and watch the game like a customer. The seats were pretty good, up just enough and in the corner, a great view of the near goal but a lot of guesswork on play at the other end.

The arena was jumping: Devils-Flyers in Jersey. OK, jumping might be an exaggeration, but there was a 10-year-old a couple of rows back who didn't miss an opportunity to yell. In a particularly nice moment, he tried to chant along with the crowd. "Rangers suck!" he shouted. The woman with him leaned down and spoke in a teacher-like tone. "They're saying 'Flyers suck,' " she corrected.

Ah, the passing down of hockey through the generations. And people say this sport will die if it shuts down. With tradition like that?

So all was well in section 103, row 14, seat 10 when I glanced at the ticket. Ninety dollars. Was this worth $90? There were some good, intense moments, but the game-winning goal was an unscreened shot that hit the glove of Flyers goaltender Jeff Hackett. For $90, he should have caught that. For $90, maybe a little overtime would have been nice.

So who and what is worth the high price of admission these days? If a family is sitting at home with $400 to burn, which game is worth a trip to the lower bowl?

Granted, I myself wouldn't have spent 90 bucks for a single ticket to any hockey game, but still this was as intense of a regular season game as you can find with more action and hitting then you see in most playoff games.

I should have known Kara does not know anything about the game after picking the Nux to collapse this season....where is it worth the price of admission....in Vancouver you daft wench!

NewarkDevil
11-04-2003, 07:42 AM

I think thats what she was referring to, the fact that $90 is more than any normal New Jerseyan or anyone else for that matter is willing to shell out 41+ times a season.

Unthinkable
11-04-2003, 09:38 AM
I think thats what she was referring to, the fact that $90 is more than any normal New Jerseyan or anyone else for that matter is willing to shell out 41+ times a season.

Yes, I get her point, but it still sounded like sour grapes coming from the spoiled kid who gets five hundred bucks worth of Christmas presents then throws a fit because he didn't get one more present he had hoped for with the comment about the last goal not being up to her standards. Thats hockey though. Not every goal is of the Pavel Bure on a breakaway variety. What the hell did she expect to see more of in a Flyers/Devils game? She happened to pick apart the one game this season which I still today feel gave me the biggest bang for my buck edge of your seat entertainment-wise watching on Center Ice of all the games I've watched since opening night. No one told her she had to buy the high priced seats for this one. My guess is her job provided the ticket to her for no cost and she still felt the need to take the easy position of "this game is pricing itself right out of town" agenda which has already been done to death instead of covering how incredible the game was with up and down end to end action and awesome hitting from both teams after the former Stanley Cup Champions had a less then stellar debut earlier last month.