Who is the odd man out?

LetsGoPanthers
11-04-2003, 03:31 AM
Trying to look over our future, which looks really bright, I get stuck on at one place all the time;

In net: Luongo. Not much debate I think.

Defense:
1. Bouw., Veteran (or Lojek, I really think he'll be good...)
2. Krajicek, Mezei
3. Van Ryn, Lilja (or similar)

Forward:
1. Nedorost, Jokinen, Kozlov

3. Hagman, Kreps, Campbell
4. Hordichuk, Taticek, Samuelsson
(Maybe Nilson should be in here somewhere too...)

The 2nd line always leaves me with a very good talent on the outside...
2. Huselius, Horton, Stewart
2. Horton, Weiss, Stewart

How would you solve this?

Am I missing something, or should one of Weiss or Huselius be traded for a good defenseman?

Any thoughts? :)

PanthersRule96
11-04-2003, 10:44 AM
I think Novak will be a good dman. He was awesome for SA last yaer in his first Pro year.

Rattrick
11-04-2003, 11:02 AM
I don't see Stewart playing on the second line.

PanthersRule96
11-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Also, don;t count Novoseltsev out. He's been the best forward and could be the next Jokinen although like the same age, and he could break out soon.

Players that we should keep IMO

Jokinen
Kozlov (maybe)
Taticek
Campbell
Horton
Huselius
Weiss
Stewart
Nedorost
Kreps (he need to produce in the OHL first)
Novoseltsev (only if he plays like he is)
Shvidki- I feel he'll get another shot.
Hagman

Thats 13 guys. That would be an awesome team IMO. Tons of skill and scoring.

Defense

Bouwmeester
Krajicek
VanRyn
Novak
Mezei
Lojek

Goalie

Luongo
??????? ALthough Vuorio had some good stats in his finnish league.

Thewbacca
11-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Stewart not good enough for the 2nd line? If your talking about next year then yes hes probable a 3rd liner but later than that I have him as a 2nd liner.

LetsGoPanthers
11-04-2003, 02:01 PM
I don't see Stewart playing on the second line.

I believe he will end up as a solid 2nd liner.
I think his offensive talent is, if not underrated, at least enough to be a 2nd liner on a contending team down the line.
Add his size and strength and I would have him on a line with a sniper (read Huselius) and a good sized center (read Horton).

Remember, he scored two more points than Horton last year... :)

LetsGoPanthers
11-04-2003, 02:06 PM
I think Novak will be a good dman. He was awesome for SA last yaer in his first Pro year.

I'll have to agree with you.

But, (why is there always a but.. :)) at 6.01, 190 pounds I just can't see where he fits in down the line.
I my mind, if you have a skilled d, you want a better sized, more defensive minded D to go with him.

I can't see him paired with Krajicek (would make them too small) and not with Van Ryn (same thing), but maybe he could be paired with Jay, I don't know...

Coolburn
11-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Several prospects are missing from your list that could really pan out and seem to be playing extremely well:

LW Stefan Meyer - 11th in overall pts in the WHL
LW Dany Roussin - 3rd in overall pts in the QMJHL
RW Rob Globke - leading scorer and excellent leader for 13th ranked Notre Dame
RW John Hecimovic - 2nd on Sarnia in scoring and 12th in the OHL in goals scored (and he's got good size - 6'2" 220lbs)
D Topi Jaakola - top 4 d-man for Karpat and was paired with Pitkanen last yr
D Jeremy Swanson - big d-man that is on the top pairing for Barrie and can put up points too
D Martin Tuma - he's another big d-man that is in his first yr in the OHL, seems like he's getting top 4 pairing time

I'd rank Taticek ahead of Kreps at this point. Stewart might not be a 2nd line type guy but its a strong possibility. Its good to have a guy like Globke in case as he could be a 2nd line type too. I don't think Nedorost is a top line LW and better suited on the 2nd line. Huselius could get it all together and be a top line LW because we know he has the skills.

This team is extremely loaded with prospects so decisions will have to be made. I don't expect all the guys to pan out and I don't expect all of the current guys to still be around. I also expect the 1st round pick this yr to be a top pairing d-man who should complement Bouwmeester and could come from Medicine Hat too (Cam Barker). I know it sounds strange but that seems like a good possibility. A top line RW could be another possibility (maybe Russian prospect Malkin or Wojeski from the OHL). FL would also be smart to grab freshman David Brown from Notre Dame (in 6 games, he's 3-2-0 but all 3 of his wins were shutouts and in his 2 losses, he only gave up 5 goals).

FlaPanthers7
11-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Don't forget Hecimovic had a really good camp here with the Panthers this past summer. Didn't he lead the Cats in preseason scoring??? :dunno:

evildreams
11-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Novak will be one of the 6 dmen in the future.

Weiss will not be here in the future.

PanthersRule96
11-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Wojeski from the OHL

Wojtech Wolski is one of the best players in the OHL right now. He's a teammate of Kamil Kreps and expect him to go top 7 probably 5 and possibly top 3.

I'd like to disagree, but with our surplus of talented forwards, we will probably end up with a dman, albeit one of the top ranked ones as I predict we will end up picking around #10 overall. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we dealt the first round pick.

Maybe in hindsight, the panthers could have had a different deal as they had the #1 pick.

With Fleury playing phenominaly, maybe we should have picked him as he is IMO better than our own spectacular Roberto.

Hypothetically going back to draft day.
We could have maybe struck a deal with LA before they got Cechmanek

Roberto and a 2nd rounder (then we wouldn't trade to Tampa) in the past draft for Frolov, LA's first pick (Brown) and the second of LA's 3 first round picks last June.

Then, we could have had Fleury, LA would have had a goalie and we would have had Frolov, Brown the other first (we could have had Stewart with that anyways) instead of Horton and Luongo and a 2nd (Meyer or Kreps)

Back to the topic, Novak, JBO, and Krajicek have the offensive tools to make things happen. All 3 can QB a powerplay.

Bouwmeester-Krajicek
Novak-Mezei
VanRyn-?

Desert Panther
11-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Maybe in hindsight, the panthers could have had a different deal as they had the #1 pick.

With Fleury playing phenominaly, maybe we should have picked him as he is IMO better than our own spectacular Roberto.

Hypothetically going back to draft day.
We could have maybe struck a deal with LA before they got Cechmanek

Roberto and a 2nd rounder (then we wouldn't trade to Tampa) in the past draft for Frolov, LA's first pick (Brown) and the second of LA's 3 first round picks last June.

Then, we could have had Fleury, LA would have had a goalie and we would have had Frolov, Brown the other first (we could have had Stewart with that anyways) instead of Horton and Luongo and a 2nd (Meyer or Kreps)

That's a MAJOR risk. Hindsight is 20-20 in this case. Fleury may end up being better than Roberto. However, at draft day, we really didn't KNOW that. We still don't. He's played extremely well on a borderline AHL team.

Luongo however, is a KNOWN quantity. He is already in the top 8 goalies in the league and will be in the top 3. You don't trade that kind of sure thing away on a possibility of potential unless your name is Mike Milbury. Especially, when the position you are talking about is between the pipes.

patastrophe
11-05-2003, 01:42 AM
That's a MAJOR risk. Hindsight is 20-20 in this case. Fleury may end up being better than Roberto. However, at draft day, we really didn't KNOW that. We still don't. He's played extremely well on a borderline AHL team.

Luongo however, is a KNOWN quantity. He is already in the top 8 goalies in the league and will be in the top 3. You don't trade that kind of sure thing away on a possibility of potential unless your name is Mike Milbury. Especially, when the position you are talking about is between the pipes.

ditto.

lucky for milbury dipietro is finally starting to pan out. funny that all of us use the word "finally" in connection with dipietro...hes what, 22? still a baby in goalie years at any rate.

Clash*
11-05-2003, 06:59 AM
Luongo had more games played by 22, if I'm correct.

BTW, talkin about a back-up for the future. The Panthers website mentions Luongo's lil bro Fabio bein 17 and a aspiring goaltender. Anyone know any news on him?

Coolburn
11-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Luongo had more games played by 22, if I'm correct.

BTW, talkin about a back-up for the future. The Panthers website mentions Luongo's lil bro Fabio bein 17 and a aspiring goaltender. Anyone know any news on him?Just turning 17 yrs old, he's 6'2" 160 lb playing for Acadie-Bathurst Titans of the QMJHL. His record so far is 1-3-1 in 349.53 mins of play. He's got a 3.94 GAA and a SV% of .887 facing about 204 shots. There's another rookie goaltender on his team so that might not help him much. Given he was born in '86, he won't be eligible until possibly next yr (if there still is a draft next yr).