Surovy

Sutter Brother
11-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Surovy is playing very well in the A. Time to call him up!

Surovy, Tomas WIL LW 10 6 6 12 +6 6 3 0 30

Big McLargehuge
11-04-2003, 02:43 PM
That's the problem, no one has played out of their roster spot, so Surovy will dominate the AHL until an injury or a slump occurs.

I'm all in favor for rewarding players for good play, but if that "reward" is fourth line ice time he's better off in the AHL.

AEKaki
11-04-2003, 09:06 PM
I honestly think that both Surovy AND Kostopoulos need to get a call-up.
I mean Kostopoulos has been consistent in the AHL for how many seasons now? And he was never given a chance on the Pens top 3 lines (only limited 4th line action). I think TK could become a could energy player, like LaCouture was, but with more offensive upside.

Surovy will get his call when Kraft leaves.
I vote for one of McKenna/Bradley to get traded or both for TK's shot.
Since we have Webb now, we don't need those 2.
Although McKenna's trade value is probably low, we might find our-selfs interest in Bradley.

I remember a month ago, in the Calgary-Edmonton threads, Bradley was mentioned...

PensFan68
11-04-2003, 09:23 PM
I don't see how Kraft leaving opens the door for Surovy. The only way Surovy gets recalled, IMO, is if we need someone for one of the top 2 lines(at least I hope).

I could see TK getting recalled when Kraft leaves though. They could put him in place of Holzinger and scratch him.

Jacob
11-04-2003, 09:49 PM
I honestly think that both Surovy AND Kostopoulos need to get a call-up.
I mean Kostopoulos has been consistent in the AHL for how many seasons now? And he was never given a chance on the Pens top 3 lines (only limited 4th line action). I think TK could become a could energy player, like LaCouture was, but with more offensive upside.

Surovy will get his call when Kraft leaves.
I vote for one of McKenna/Bradley to get traded or both for TK's shot.
Since we have Webb now, we don't need those 2.
Although McKenna's trade value is probably low, we might find our-selfs interest in Bradley.

I remember a month ago, in the Calgary-Edmonton threads, Bradley was mentioned...
I don't see how it benefits Surovy to keep a seat warm in the press box. Nor do I see how a player performing well in the minors translates into forcing the big club to trade established, servicable, and cheap players. Just like you said, Kostopoulos has been solid for several years, why clear room now?

Big McLargehuge
11-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Exactly. There's more to read than just having the players in Pittsburgh. Surovy plays a position that we're set at for the time being and you can't just dump a player, especially Bradley, because a guy is doing good in the AHL. TK brings no more to the table than Bradley does, less actually...

Rowsdower
11-05-2003, 07:42 PM
I think they should both stay in the AHL for the time being, particularly Surovy, as our top 6 seems to be locked up and I don't see a reason to put him on the 3rd/4th line when he could get optimum icetime in WB....

CFABoy
11-08-2003, 01:00 PM
I think they should both stay in the AHL for the time being, particularly Surovy, as our top 6 seems to be locked up and I don't see a reason to put him on the 3rd/4th line when he could get optimum icetime in WB....

Well , he's ready to play 3rd line minutes in the NHL right now , so the Pens should just trade Surovy rather than let him waste down in the minors.....

DJ Spinoza
11-08-2003, 01:44 PM
I think it's time to call him up. Not because he will take a spot of someone, but here's my idea (stolen from talks on another board):

Koltsov - Kraft - Straka
Malone - Fata - Morozov
Surovy - Mario - Abid

Maybe flop Koltsov and Surovy if Mario wants speed.

Make the fourth line something like:

Webb - Buchberger - Bradley
Eastwood/Webb/Buchberger can rotate as a scratch. I guess throw McKenna in here too.

Send Holzinger down or something.

It'd be nice if a team was in need of a player like Eastwood. I like the job he's done for us, but there are a logjam of third/fourth liners that may preventing us from bringing up a guy like Surovy. Holzinger and McKenna have no trade value whatsoever.

Maybe if we move Straka, we can make the other team take one of these guys, which would then cut the salary (because of Straka leaving) and make you able to free a spot for Surovy up, even if it means you send guys like Devereaux or Holzinger to Wilkes Barre, because you'll have the extra money to keep paying the guys in the minors (Holzinger) while still being able to pay the NHL contract of Surovy or whomever you call up. All because you were able to cut 2 or so million by moving Straka.

That was a long sentence...Hope you got what I meant.

AEKaki
11-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Exactly. There's more to read than just having the players in Pittsburgh. Surovy plays a position that we're set at for the time being and you can't just dump a player, especially Bradley, because a guy is doing good in the AHL. TK brings no more to the table than Bradley does, less actually...

TK would bring alot more then Bradley.
Trust me on that.

Speed Kills
11-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Just wanted to say that I like the 1st three lines you mentioned in your response. I don't know what I would do with the 4th line , but I think we can get balance scoring from the first 3.

I would try to package someone of the players that were not mentioned in the top 3 lines to get a D-MAN.

Big McLargehuge
11-09-2003, 10:53 AM
TK would bring alot more then Bradley.
Trust me on that.

Bradley is a hell of a lot more gifted than TK. Both offensively and defensively.

Koltsov71
11-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Bradley is a hell of a lot more gifted than TK. Both offensively and defensively.

I agree.

Darth Vitale
11-09-2003, 12:19 PM
It's very simple. Send Holzinger down and don't bring him back up, then you have room for Surovy who surely will contribute more than Brian has.

It's not like these lines that we have should be set in stone, other than Fata's line maybe. This isn't Lang - Straka - Kovalev we're talking about here. [None of the other three lines would suffer for having Surovy on it, that's for damn sure.]

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
11-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Not to mention he's a much better skater.

Koltsov71
11-09-2003, 12:21 PM
It's very simple. Send Holzinger down and don't bring him back up, then you have room for Surovy who surely will contribute more than Brian has.

It's not like these lines that we have should be set in stone. This isn't Lang - Straka - Kovalev we're talking about here. None of the lines are above reproach thus far.

Why send him down? I'd just waive him outright.

Darth Vitale
11-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Why send him down? I'd just waive him outright.

That'd suit me fine too. My point is, it should be anything but difficult to "find room" for a guy like Surovy on this roster...

:dunno:

The Tang
11-09-2003, 01:00 PM
My point is, it should be anything but difficult to "find room" for a guy like Surovy on this roster...

:dunno: exactly. we dont ahve room for him as is. plus, he's a lw, and we already have one lw playign right wing.

puskarm
11-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Koltsov - Kraft - Straka
Malone - Fata - Morozov
Surovy - Mario - Abid

Cool, I think I posted darn near this exact same lineup on another thread.

:handclap:

The Tang
11-09-2003, 01:08 PM
isnt it sacreligious to have mario on anything but the 1st line?

Koltsov71
11-09-2003, 01:12 PM
isnt it sacreligious to have mario on anything but the 1st line?

Francis has been bumped down to the third line, and it seems to be working quite well. He's not producing as much, but the top two lines have been great.

puskarm
11-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Sorry this will not be pithy...

I grew up in Pittsburgh -- I played amateur hockey there when there was no amateur hockey in Pittsburgh. I can remember getting free tickets when we would get to do shootouts in between periods, and there were 6,000 people in the stands.

In 2000, when Lemieux came out of retirement, I bought NHL Center Ice, solely because of Him. I have watched almost every single game in which He's played since His comeback, because He is a once in a lifetime kind of player.

And I was hoping all off-season that He would return -- for more than one year. I wanted to see Lemieux win another scoring title - prove everyone wrong, and be on the ice in a few years when the Pens became contenders again.

Despite all that, I believe Mario's time as a superstar is up. He still makes some amazing passes, but turns the puck over more than He should on the power play, and has clearly lost His scoring touch, ever since Kovalev was traded. And although I think Lemieux works very hard, and has backchecked more in the first 10 games of this season than perhaps the rest of his career combined, I don't think He's much of an offensive factor in 5-on-5 play anymore.

I don't see the point in making Mario play 24 minutes a game. I think He should still lead the power play and get 15-18 minutes a game playing with some young kids who will skate hard and have some talent. But I think it's time to let some fresh blood give it a go on the scoring lines.

That's just a humble opinion, but you can be assured I am anything but a Mario basher. I love the guy and I love what He's done for hockey in Pittsburgh. But Lemieux playing 24 minutes a game does not help the future of the franchise.

The Tang
11-09-2003, 03:11 PM
In 2000, when Lemieux came out of retirement, I bought NHL Center Ice, solely because of Him. I have watched almost every single game in which He's played since His comeback, because He is a once in a lifetime kind of player.

And I was hoping all off-season that He would return -- for more than one year. I wanted to see Lemieux win another scoring title - prove everyone wrong, and be on the ice in a few years when the Pens became contenders again.

That's just a humble opinion, but you can be assured I am anything but a Mario basher. I love the guy and I love what He's done for hockey in Pittsburgh. But Lemieux playing 24 minutes a game does not help the future of the franchise.
your first part (in red) pretty much answers your second part (orange). we know Mario isnt what he used to be, but also remember, things change. there is a lot more defense now, and amazing plays dont come in bundles anymore.

also, in order for their to be a future in Pittsburgh, they need to focus on the now. Like you said, you got center ice just to see Mario. everyone wants to watch Mario play. he's a draw, he brings inthe money needed to keep the franchise afloat. take away what the fans want to see, they wont come. fans dont come, no money comes, and the franchise dies. we need the franchise to survive long enough for the young guys to come into their own and produce a product on ice that will make sure there will be hockey in Pittsburgh.

puskarm
11-09-2003, 07:18 PM
we need the franchise to survive long enough for the young guys to come into their own and produce a product on ice that will make sure there will be hockey in Pittsburgh.

Very well put. But I believe the Pens could accomplish the same thing with Mario playing less minutes and letting the "X Generation" get more playing time. Of course, it's easy to say what they "should" do from where I'm sitting...

Speed Kills
11-09-2003, 07:40 PM
I agree with everything you said about Mario Pucksarm. He looked good playing with Surovy last year and I think this gives the team 3 good lines.

PensFan68
11-12-2003, 06:30 PM
The only way Surovy gets recalled, IMO, is if we need someone for one of the top 2 lines.

Just quoting myself from before. With Fata going down for at least the weekend(as says PST), hopefully Surovy is the guy to get the call.