Impossible

Rschmitz
11-04-2003, 05:10 PM
to maintain a winning streak. You just run into a goaltender like the Bolts did tonight and blah. Khabibulin wasn't dominant, but the quality scoring chances Lukowich gave the other team alone was enough to kill the Bolts tonight. Lightning dominated the stats but in the end the puck bounced Washingtons way tonight. My boy Affy played another dominant game with lots of scoring chances but he needs to learn to bury his shots. If he was twenty yrs old or less id say throw him in the minors so his confidence doesn't get shot....but hopefully he shrugs this off and plays another semi-impressive game like he did tonight.

Someone in the video sessions needs to point out the obvious flaws in the defense tonight....giving up the blue line too easily and allowing the other team to turn the corner.

I was glad to see the Lightning try and get something going at the end, but Thurs they will play more consistent I promise.

aapbolt
11-04-2003, 05:20 PM
yeah the boys peppered ollie tonight but he stood big in net and did not give up any easy goals. Khabi had a bad night and so did the defense. We still need a big stud d-man back there to help out. oh well it had to happen lets hope they got this lousy game out of their system and don't repeat.

Rschmitz
11-04-2003, 05:32 PM
I seen both Lukowich and Boyle making bad decisions; don't know if that one stud defender is going to help those guys out. Khabi didn't play "awful", he obviously wasn't on fire, but many of those chances were fluky goals or Great scoring chances. That 5th goal for instance on Grahame was off two sticks and a shoulder before going in behind Grahame...who may have been too far out. Defense needs to learn to give Khabi room around the net if he is expected to make those world class saves. Can't react to something when the guy is in your face like the Zubrus SH goal and the Halpern goal.

Modin, Lecavalier AND Afenasenkov had their chances tonight; this is another one of those games u got to move on with and take em next time. Washington was a sleeping giant, they had extra incentive coming in to tonight.

petec1978*
11-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Kind of silly to panic when you outshoot a team 42-23. Some Caps fans are celebrating like they just won the Stanley Cup but 9-out of-10 times the Lightning win that game the way they played. Some of the individual errors need to be tightened up defensively, that's the only thing I worry about. The bounces and the fact Kolzig probably played one of his 2-3 best games he'll play all year... nothing you can do about that. Sometimes you get the bear (see the Atlanta game) sometimes the bear gets you (this game). As long as this team plays with energy and heart, we'll win these types of games a hell of a lot more times than we'll lose them.

In the end equation we're still in a position of strength and overall the team is playing reasonably well. No reason to believe we can't go out and roll the Kings Thursday night and start a new streak.

And if Caps fan gets uppity, you can always show him these:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standings

-Pete Choquette

Hawkeye
11-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Modin, Lecavalier AND Afenasenkov had their chances tonight;

Mo's added a lot to the Vinny line, but why didn't he take the shot when he was coming down the right wing? He should have drilled it through Ollie (and no defender in the way from what I could see). Was he looking to pass?

Oceanic39*
11-05-2003, 05:25 AM
My boy Affy played another dominant game with lots of scoring chances but he needs to learn to bury his shots. If he was twenty yrs old or less id say throw him in the minors so his confidence doesn't get shot....but hopefully he shrugs this off and plays another semi-impressive game like he did tonight.

So.... he's "dominant," yet "semi-impressive."

And Khabi should have had that shortie. Paddle was down, but he didn't move it with the puck as it moved across the crease.

Timmy1973
11-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Unfortunately last night was one of those stinkers you get every once and a while where nothing seems to go your way. Better to get everything out of your system in one game and not have it drag on for five or six games like in recent years. Hopefully we'll bounce back tomorrow night.

exterminator-x
11-05-2003, 08:12 AM
And Khabi should have had that shortie. Paddle was down, but he didn't move it with the puck as it moved across the crease.

Maybe. That was a heck of a play by Zubrus. Full speed beating Lukowich to the extreme outside, then turning parallel to the goal AT the goal-line (watch the skates skipping across the ice as he is barely making the turn -- the NASCAR fans should love this move), then shield the puck from Lukes with his left knee, while avoiding Khabby's stick poke by skipping the puck over his stick. Incredible play. Highlight reel stuff. Everyone talks about how Svitov is a Holik-type player, but I hope Svitov becomes a Zubrus-type player. Scoring line material, with size and strength on the puck, with offensive upside, and ability to be used in many different situations (PP, PK, and ES).

My hat is off to Mr. Zubrus. It inspired me to try the same move later in the night at a 10:45pm rec league game. Unfortunately the results were not the same. :dunno:

My other hat off to Mr. Kolzig. Single-handedly stole that game. Definitely deserved 1st star.

Oceanic39*
11-05-2003, 08:29 AM
I'm going to get ripped for this, but...

There's no questionning it was a good move... it certainly was. However, Zubrus was deep in the zone (as you said - at the goal-line) when he cut into the net. Because he was so deep in the zone, and because his left hand grabbed his stick right when he was on top of Khabi to put the puck on his forehand (he was sheilding with his hand, then his knee, true), he could not have raised it over. Khabi was likely expecting nothing more than a dribbler.

Khabi did right (really, who am I to question this guy... but I will anyway on this one instance) by putting the paddle down, but as Zubrus moved across the crease, Khabi's blocker hand - holding paddle down - should have followed it, thereby nullifying any chance Zubrus would have had to wrap the puck around him on the far side, or lift it over the high end of the stick (which he ultimately did). He couldn't have cut back because Luko was there. He was in too close to do anything else. Again, I think Khabi assumed he had the far side covered and there was no way Zubrus would have enough control to do anything but a weak dribbler into the paddle. Most goalies would have ended up sprawled across the crease on that. Kubina and Luko were there to take care of any rebound. Hindsight, I guess, it looked as though Zubrus only had one option there. Kudos to him for getting it in. Nit-picking... but I think Khabi tends to lose his focus early in games against perceived weaker opponents... especially if he's not tested early. (Minnesota, SJ, WSH this year for example)

Rschmitz
11-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Mo's added a lot to the Vinny line, but why didn't he take the shot when he was coming down the right wing? He should have drilled it through Ollie (and no defender in the way from what I could see). Was he looking to pass?

I was thinking the same thing. After the replay you could see Kolzig concentrating on Freddy as he came in on the right and the defender cut off the angle and disrupted the play. I honestly think Modin tried to do a psych job on Kolzig by looking Affy's way but Ollie didn't fall for it.

So.... he's "dominant," yet "semi-impressive."

yes, its an enigma

Maybe. That was a heck of a play by Zubrus. Full speed beating Lukowich to the extreme outside, then turning parallel to the goal AT the goal-line (watch the skates skipping across the ice as he is barely making the turn -- the NASCAR fans should love this move), then shield the puck from Lukes with his left knee, while avoiding Khabby's stick poke by skipping the puck over his stick. Incredible play. Highlight reel stuff. Everyone talks about how Svitov is a Holik-type player, but I hope Svitov becomes a Zubrus-type player. Scoring line material, with size and strength on the puck, with offensive upside, and ability to be used in many different situations (PP, PK, and ES).

I thought Khabi had a chance on that Zubrus goal too until Zubrus crossed the blue line. :dunno:

If you watch very very carefully though it was wierd how the puck got in. He kind of lodged it into the crevice between Khabis skate and the post. He was able to push Nik's pad just back far enough to get the puck up right and in

joeminus
11-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Agree with Chad on this one. Khabi should've had that one. I think he got caught napping a bit, just as Lukowich did assuming Zubrus would dump it into the corner to kill the penalty. Luk got totally schooled, but that doesn't mean Khabi's off the hook. He should've moved across his crease with the puck, especially (as Chad mentioned) with the defenseman behind Zubrus. Weak effort all around.

(That's not take take anything away from the play by Zubrus, which was truly sweet.)

I also don't think Kolzig single-handedly stole this one. We gave up 5 goals. Some of them, admittedly, were a tad lucky but you can't say a goalie "stole" a game when you lose by 4, no matter how well he played.

Oceanic39*
11-05-2003, 08:49 AM
I thought Khabi had a chance on that Zubrus goal too until Zubrus crossed the blue line. :dunno:

Yeesh. That's harsh.

txpd
11-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Kind of silly to panic when you outshoot a team 42-23. Some Caps fans are celebrating like they just won the Stanley Cup but 9-out of-10 times the Lightning win that game the way they played. Some of the individual errors need to be tightened up defensively, that's the only thing I worry about. The bounces and the fact Kolzig probably played one of his 2-3 best games he'll play all year... nothing you can do about that. Sometimes you get the bear (see the Atlanta game) sometimes the bear gets you (this game). As long as this team plays with energy and heart, we'll win these types of games a hell of a lot more times than we'll lose them.

And if Caps fan gets uppity, you can always show him these:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standings

-Pete Choquette

Poor Petey. Just can't face the reality of somethings. I give Tampa Bay credit. They are winning at home and beating the teams they should beat. Lets not put the President's trophy in Tampa until they playe a few road games and play a representitive number of top teams.
I fully believe that the Lightning are a for real team. its good for moral and momentum to be able to 7 of 9 games at home and 6 of 9 against teams with records under .500. The win in NJ was impressive.

On the other hand. Are you confident that the record would be similar, if 7 of the first 9 were on the road at Toronto 6-4-2-1, Montreal 6-6-0, Dallas 7-5-1, St. Louis, 7-3-0-1, Ottawa 5-3-1-1, & Toronto 6-4-2-1.
I think the best team would be happy with 3-3 on that road trip particularly with two sets of back to back games in the 6.

The rest of November seems pretty easy too.....
Nov 1 2003, Sat HOME Hurricanes 3 - 4 W 7:30 PM ET - RECAP
Nov 4 2003, Tue HOME Capitals 5 - 1 L 7:00 PM ET - RECAP
Nov 6 2003, Thu HOME Kings 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 8 2003, Sat HOME Penguins 7:30 PM ET -
Nov 9 2003, Sun AWAY Hurricanes 5:00 PM ET -
Nov 11 2003, Tue AWAY Panthers 7:30 PM ET -
Nov 14 2003, Fri AWAY Capitals 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 20 2003, Thu HOME Islanders 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 22 2003, Sat HOME Sabres 7:30 PM ET -
Nov 23 2003, Sun AWAY Hurricanes 7:30 PM ET -
Nov 25 2003, Tue HOME Rangers 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 28 2003, Fri HOME Blues 7:30 PM ET -
Nov 29 2003, Sat AWAY Thrashers 7:00 PM ET -

That's two games out of the next 11 against team with records that stand currently above .500. That would be 5 of the first 20 games.
You would think at some point the Lightning will have to play a few of the good teams. Because the stinkers all seem to be bunched together, it seems that the good ones will be bunched together too.

exterminator-x
11-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Agree with Chad on this one. Khabi should've had that one. I think he got caught napping a bit, just as Lukowich did assuming Zubrus would dump it into the corner to kill the penalty. Luk got totally schooled, but that doesn't mean Khabi's off the hook. He should've moved across his crease with the puck, especially (as Chad mentioned) with the defenseman behind Zubrus. Weak effort all around.

Basically, I think everybody (Luko and Khabby) thought they had done everything right to prevent a goal.

Lukes took Zubrus to the outside on that play, which generally is the right thing to do. However, two things: (a) Zubrus speed beat Lukes wide, but more impressively (b) Zubrus basically did a hard 90-degree turn (tires smoking, screeching, and barely getting bite) at the goal-line and went in parallel on goal. A tremendous play. He made the turn and hoped his skates would bite. They did. IMO most NHL players on a penalty kill unit doesn't successfully make that move. Zubrus could and did, and Lukes didn't anticipate that probability. He wasn't ready to physically take him out the play after Zubrus made the play and he couldn't lift his stick. As they approached the goal line, Lukes is not thinking the Zubrus had the stuff to make that cut and charge at the goal.

Similarly, I don't think Khabby thought Zubrus could finish the move. That his stick down was enough. Actually, he's probably not thinking very much, just reacting, but you get the picture. That move by Zubrus took courage to make that run through the crease. It wasn't a softie IMO.

Bottom line IMO is that it was an incredible effort and play from Zubrus, and one of our two guys needed to make a similar super-human effort to stop. Neither happened. But that move doesn't work most of the time with most players in the NHL.

Several things like that came together during the game. Clearly it will go down as one of Kolzig's best games of the year. Zubrus' shortie was highlight reel play. Zubrus' and Semin's double deflection of Gonchar shot from the point. All this happening while the Bolts are serving up 40+ shots and a dozen quality scoring chances. The hockey gods deemed that the streak would end last night, and the Caps pulled together a lot of stuff they certainly have the skill and potential to do all on the same night.

Hats off to the Caps. They beat us because they were the better team last night and they earned it. While the Bolts made some mistakes, the Caps played great and deserved credit for the win. Kudos to Cassidy and Co.

petec1978*
11-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Hey Caps fan, how does it feel to be dead last in what the pundits call the worst division in hockey? BELOW bottom feeders like the Panthers and 'Canes. Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Its hillarious that you whine about the Lightning's record. WE'VE PLAYED 3-4 LESS GAMES THAN EVERYONE ELSE IN THE DIVISION AND STILL ARE IN FIRST PLACE. Soft schedule or no (and I'll point out half of our opponents in the first 8 games WERE NOT soft with Boston, Jersey, and the Wild as playoff teams and Atlanta one of only 3 unbeaten teams at the time they came in here)... the fact remains we are still 7 points ahead of the Caps despite the fact we've played A LOT less games.

So you run along and celebrate your one lucky win like you just clinched the Stanley Cup. We'll just sit back confident in the fact that we won the division last year, beat your ***es in the playoffs last year, and are right back in first place this year. Get used to it.

-Pete Choquette

txpd
11-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Hey Caps fan, how does it feel to be dead last in what the pundits call the worst division in hockey? BELOW bottom feeders like the Panthers and 'Canes. Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Its hillarious that you whine about the Lightning's record. WE'VE PLAYED 3-4 LESS GAMES THAN EVERYONE ELSE IN THE DIVISION AND STILL ARE IN FIRST PLACE. Soft schedule or no (and I'll point out half of our opponents in the first 8 games WERE NOT soft with Boston, Jersey, and the Wild as playoff teams and Atlanta one of only 3 unbeaten teams at the time they came in here)... the fact remains we are still 7 points ahead of the Caps despite the fact we've played A LOT less games.

-Pete Choquette

Thanx for helping me make my point. Yea, beating Boston and NJ was impressive. NJ was on the road. Nice!! "The other road game"...that says a lot of itself...the other road game was the blue jackets. Yea, TB played the Wild at home(Caps played them on the road), and Atlanta(Caps have played them twice already). Tampa has played 6 of 9 games against teams under .500, one those teams Minn. The Caps played 10 or 12 against teams over .500 with the two under .500 teams being Minnesota and Anaheim. No Calgary/Buffalo/Carolina games in there. And 8 or 12 on the road. I looked it up...Tampa plays 9 of its last 12 at home. 9 of its first 11 at home. in the middle of the season
36 of 59 games will be on the road. enjoy that. when the bolts play that stretch of nearly 60 games at about .500, I don't want to hear any complaints about all the road games.

petec1978*
11-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanx for helping me make my point.

You have no point. The Lightning played half of their first 8 games against reasonably strong opponents. And, even though they have played A LOT LESS games than the rest of the division they're in first place.

The Lightning are a healthy part of the reason some of the teams they've played are sub-.500, btw. But don't mention that, whatever you do.

in the middle of the season 36 of 59 games will be on the road. enjoy that.

Happens every year. Funny it wasn't an impediment in kicking your *** for the division last season.

I don't want to hear any complaints about all the road games.

Only crybaby Caps fans complain about things they can't control.

-Pete Choquette

Rschmitz
11-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Soft schedule or no (and I'll point out half of our opponents in the first 8 games WERE NOT soft with Boston, Jersey, and the Wild as playoff teams and Atlanta one of only 3 unbeaten teams at the time they came in here)...

coyotes were 3-0 too I think :handclap:

Rschmitz
11-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Don't qoute me on this but I think Boston had a similiar schedule to ours last season. Even though they made the playoffs it really messed them up because they failed to have success in the beginning of the season. Lightning however are doing well

txpd
11-06-2003, 04:24 AM
Don't qoute me on this but I think Boston had a similiar schedule to ours last season. Even though they made the playoffs it really messed them up because they failed to have success in the beginning of the season. Lightning however are doing well

1. yes, boston has a similar schedule last year. lots of home games. lots of games against weaker teams.

2. after 20 games the bruins had the best record in the east. after that they went into a tailspin for 40 games. all the while people were asking, "what's wrong with the b's?". They struggled to make the playoffs.

3. actually, petey, last year's tough middle of the year schedule had a lot to do with the Capitals making up 10 pts and taking the division lead.
you forgot that, i guess.

txpd
11-06-2003, 04:27 AM
coyotes were 3-0 too I think :handclap:

true. with a 7 game winless streak since.

petec1978*
11-06-2003, 06:41 AM
3. actually, petey, last year's tough middle of the year schedule had a lot to do with the Capitals making up 10 pts and taking the division lead.
you forgot that, i guess.

All that matters is the banner hanging in the rafters at the SPTF.

-Pete Choquette

txpd
11-06-2003, 07:43 AM
All that matters is the banner hanging in the rafters at the SPTF.

-Pete Choquette

While that is true. It is not a response to the point that I made.
I have said that schedule effects record. Thats all. I am only saying that a team's record after playing 10 home games or 10 losing teams or both, is generally better than after 10 road games, or 10 winning teams or both. Its not a radical thought....from this weeks hockey news...
5. Philadelphia (6)
Good: Undefeated at home (3-0-2).
Bad: Of their five wins and three ties, seven of those games were against teams that failed to make the playoffs last season.
Curious: Sami Kapanen had no goals in the teamís first 10 games, and then had two in their 11th game.

petec1978*
11-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Which team was #1 txpd? :joker:

I especially like the part about the "lowly" Caps.

-Pete Choquette

Rschmitz
11-06-2003, 10:07 AM
true. with a 7 game winless streak since.

Bolts probably shot their confidence after they thoroughly dismantled them in a 5-1 blow out. Lightning outplayed them in every aspect of the game.

The reason Boston struggled in the middle part of the season wasn't because of strength of schedule but lack of goaltending. They didn't have the point differential in their own division to set them apart from the rest of their division.

Still bitter from last year I suppose huh Cap fan?

IGM
11-06-2003, 07:04 PM
And you lost tonight as well. I mean, the only reason I point it out is to show you how silly it looks to say ANYTHING about what your team is doing after the first ten games. For that matter, its stuipid to say anything about what is happening until after the first 20 and even then it has to be taken with a grain of salt. I have seen teams that were stuggling in the first 20 or so games come back to win the cup or do some real damage in the playoffs. I have also seen them fail.

While it is great to see the Ning off to a solid start (as I would hate to see them contracted) to talk like YOU have done anything is as lame as me saying that the Kings are the better team because we beat you.

Both statements are equally lame.

Kudos on the great start, keep it up.

petec1978*
11-06-2003, 10:28 PM
We lost 1-0 in OT in a boring as hell trap fest. So what? We got a point on a night we played our backup. No problem there.

As far as our bragging goes, its not just about our start of the season. Its about beating the Caps out for the division (and what a joy it was predicting that to an incredulous txpd on AOL last February and the GLORIOUS amount of crow he had to eat by April) last year and then beating their little band of heartless, guttless high dollar mercenaries in the playoffs to boot. WE OWN THE CAPS. For Caps fan to come onto our board and talk **** over one game given the recent history of the series is LAUGHABLE. Your team is what now txpd? 3-9-1? They STILL haven't recovered from the pasting we gave them in the playoffs.

SOUTHEAST
Tampa Bay 10GP 7-1-1-1 16
Atlanta 13GP 6-3-3-1 16
Florida 13GP 4-7-2-0 10
Carolina 12GP 3-5-4-0 10
Washington 13GP 3-9-1-0 7

Like I said: must suck to be dead last in the "worst division in hockey" eh Caps fan? Also it must suck to know you're 7 points behind the Lightning ALREADY and the Lightning have played 3 less games. Its only a matter of time Caps fan. Only a matter of time before Uncle Ted blows up the team and you're right there next to the Pens fans you tease so much as rebuilding bottomfeeders.

-Pete Choquette

Sotnos
11-07-2003, 08:34 AM
For Caps fan to come onto our board and talk **** over one game given the recent history of the series is LAUGHABLE.
Yes it is, and for a Kings fan to read one thread on this board where someone is answering back a smack-talker and assume we're arrogant is pretty amusing as well. As far as last season goes (which is what was being discussed here), we certainly have a right to be proud of this team. What is the point of being a fan if you can't feel proud when they FINALLY accomplish something? No it's not a Cup win, but the Bolts (not Ning, not ever) showed considerable heart and fortitude in the playoffs as well as showing how far they still need to go.

As far as this year, most of us are usually waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't think any group of fans criticized their 6-0 team more than we did. :)

Rschmitz
11-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Yes it is, and for a Kings fan to read one thread on this board where someone is answering back a smack-talker and assume we're arrogant is pretty amusing as well. As far as last season goes (which is what was being discussed here), we certainly have a right to be proud of this team. What is the point of being a fan if you can't feel proud when they FINALLY accomplish something? No it's not a Cup win, but the Bolts (not Ning, not ever) showed considerable heart and fortitude in the playoffs as well as showing how far they still need to go.

As far as this year, most of us are usually waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't think any group of fans criticized their 6-0 team more than we did. :)

Well said

aapbolt
11-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Well said Sotnos and Pete, it will be very interesting to see how the season continues. Ollie had a great game and he does that from time to time but he also blows a lot of big games- all you have to do is look at their playoff record. The caps play well when it does not count, and yet, they are off to a horrible start this year. I understand that jagr is fuming and fighting with his coach, if so it is just a matter of time before that team implodes from the infighting. While comments can and will be made about Khabi's playoff record, the Bolts are a young team and they learned a lot- as evidenced by their start this year. My goodness they outshot the craps- oops caps- and without Ollie making some great saves would have scored 9 goals. If the caps continue to play lousy hockey it is only a matter of time before ted pulls the strings on this team and starts trading players for draft choices and starts rebuilding- if you are on the bottom there is only one way up and you might as well cut your losses. While the caps fans should be happy over a win- put it into perspective- it was one game not a playoff game and not a playoff series- by over celebrating you are just acting childish. By the way do you think Jagr would be happier here with our more wide open style?? Maybe ted would eat most of his salary and trade him.

petec1978*
11-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Tonight was the perfect demonstration of what I was saying...

Lightning put up 42 shots to the Pens' 15 and we KILL them 9-0. Without Kolzig and a few lucky bounces, our 42-23 shot game against the Caps would've EASILY gone 5-1 the other way. I know txpd wants to believe the Caps somehow tipped off an early season calamity for the Lightning, truth is they just got lucky and the Lightning juggernaut is still going full steam.

The division will be ours. The question is how big the gap will be between us, the Thrashers, and then the clump of the three bottom feeding floaters at the rear of the Southeast.

-Pete Choquette

Rschmitz
11-08-2003, 09:51 PM
You know Dudleys already stuttering Ovechechehekceckins name :handclap:

petec1978*
11-09-2003, 11:15 AM
I now rank the Panthers #2 in the Ovechkin derby behind the Pens after Keenan's firing. Too bad for Little Ricky the lotto will be fixed. I'd bet the farm Bettman GIVES Ovechkin to Mario.

-Pete Choquette