Check by Koltsov

Speed Kills
11-05-2003, 01:07 PM
I thought the turningpoint lkast night came when the Leafs scored a PP goal when Koltsov was called for boarding. I thought that was a clean hit.

Koltsov71
11-05-2003, 01:10 PM
I missed the hit, unfortunately. Went to the kitchen, and when I came back the Leafs were on the powerplay. The way Errey was talking, it was if the hit was the stupidest move he had ever seen.

GoPenguins
11-05-2003, 01:13 PM
I only saw the check once, and I must admit the one time I saw it I felt it was a good call. I didnt see it again though, but he seemed to want revenge for a big hit on the boards he took just prior to that.

I agree though that the Koltsov penalty was the big turning point, as after that we had the fights and retaliatory penalties etc. The Pens went from being 2-1 down and worrying the Leafs to being 3-1 down and losing all composure. McKenna's spear and fight were both very lame. Totally did not justify why we played him.

As for that altercation behind the net which ended up with Buchberger throwing needless punches until he got tossed...well that just really irked me. We ended up having to kill a PP because of his little jabs. I would have hoped his experience would have helped him keep his cool the way Webb did when he turtled.

Big McLargehuge
11-05-2003, 01:56 PM
He left his feet, it was the right call.

Der Schweinehund
11-05-2003, 02:10 PM
Seemed more like a charging call than a boarding call to me - but he absolutely deserved two minutes for either. It was so blatantly retaliatory it wasn't even funny. It was heat of the moment and obviously he was angry - he needs to divert that energy elsewhere.

DJ Spinoza
11-05-2003, 02:13 PM
It wasn't the correct call, at the very least.

You can't call a player for boarding if the player he hits is not facing the boards.

McCabe did the same thing to Koltsov seconds before.

Regardless, it was a good job by Koltsov. Showed that he won't take crap from anyone.

Big McLargehuge
11-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Well, it wasn't boarding but regardless it was a deserved 2 minutes in the sin bin.

Der Schweinehund
11-05-2003, 02:18 PM
As for that altercation behind the net which ended up with Buchberger throwing needless punches until he got tossed...well that just really irked me. We ended up having to kill a PP because of his little jabs. I would have hoped his experience would have helped him keep his cool the way Webb did when he turtled.

Not quite how it happened. Actually we went on the PP and scored a goal since Nolan ended up getting a 2, a 5, a 10, and a game on the call. Consequently, that is also the same PP that Fata got the goal. Nonetheless it was still stupid and uncalled for. I mean if Nolan jumped on a youngster or something, I empathize with the 'sticking up for the player' aspect. But this was Webb he jumped in for.

However, if Buchberger didn't do that, then we would have had a 5-on-3 for two minutes. And even moreso, if there had been more than 3 minutes left in the game at that point, it would have meant a 5 minute powerplay that even when we scored, still carried on b/c it was a 5-minute major. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Der Schweinehund
11-05-2003, 02:21 PM
You can't call a player for boarding if the player he hits is not facing the boards.

Untrue. Rule 44 covers boarding and says...

(a) A minor or major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be imposed on any player who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards.

There is no requirement for having to face the board - despite hearing this many times.

No Quarter
11-05-2003, 03:05 PM
I thought it was pretty cool to see Koltsov stand up for himself.
He seems kinda like the whole package, a skill player that plays with alot of heart and grit.

No Quarter
11-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Yeah, i like that about him the most, he doesn't care, he'll go and nail the guy back regardless of the size.

This guy is one helluva player, thank god we drafted him, worth the wait for sure.

I agree, I really hope this guy turns into a perrenial 30 goal scorer.
I really think once he figures out the N. American style game his speed will create alot of breakaways. Ala a young Marty Straka.

DJ Spinoza
11-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Untrue. Rule 44 covers boarding and says...

(a) A minor or major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be imposed on any player who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards.

There is no requirement for having to face the board - despite hearing this many times.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Zebras sure picked an interesting time to start following the letter of the law.

I see what you mean though...

JDB3939
11-05-2003, 05:11 PM
McCabe charged him first. Koltsov was paying him back. Once refs hit the Air Canada Center they feel the need to screw over every team not in a blue jersey.

I'm surprised the Leafs aren't undefeated at home every year. I mean they have 10 players on the ice at all times (Note: 6 players plus 2 refs and 2 linesmen)

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
11-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Its nice to see an offensive player on the pens with a mean streak. He might be a borderline powerforward if he can eventually score over 50 points and get around 5 fights a year.

Der Schweinehund
11-06-2003, 12:06 AM
McCabe charged him first. Koltsov was paying him back. Once refs hit the Air Canada Center they feel the need to screw over every team not in a blue jersey.

Actually, Koltsov ran/boarded/charged Kaberle, not McCabe - despite the fact it was McCabe that hit him. This is why I fail to see it as payback or "standing up for himself."

I don't know what it looked like on TV, but seeing it there, he got up after the hit and just decided to go headhunting for the first shot he could. I would much rather see him stand up for himself by channelling that energy towards scoring a goal rather than taking the retaliatory penalty.

aylib
11-06-2003, 03:59 AM
My thoughts exactly.

At least Koltsov wasn't a pansy and swung his stick at him, he just went back and nailed him, the refs need to let somethings go, the nhl has become boring enough as it is.

Speed, Guts and intensity, what does Koltsov lack?
Hands? :dunno:

Jacob
11-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Kaberle was off balance, so of course there was a penalty. It was a sweet hit.

tom_servo
11-06-2003, 05:05 PM
His only goal.

But I think he'll get better.

Der Schweinehund
11-07-2003, 03:27 AM
You need to learn the rules before opening your trap.

And you need to read before opening yours. You are only about 36-hours late in your reaction.

(Sorry Kung Fu - I know...trolls...feeding...I know....)

KungFuPenguin
11-07-2003, 08:05 AM
(Sorry Kung Fu - I know...trolls...feeding...I know....)

:handclap: