MLB Amateur Draft

acr*
06-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Ongoing as we speak, first round just ocmpleted a couple minutes ago.

PK TEAM PLAYER
1. Royals Luke Hochevar, RHP
Fort Worth (Ind.)
2. Rockies Greg Reynolds, RHP
Stanford
3. Devil Rays Evan Longoria, 3B
Long Beach State
4. Pirates Brad Lincoln, RHP
Houston
5. Mariners Brandon Morrow, RHP
California
6. Tigers Andrew Miller, LHP
North Carolina
7. Dodgers Clayton Kershaw, LHP
H.S. (Dallas)
8. Reds Drew Stubbs, OF
Texas
9. Orioles Bill Rowell, 3B
H.S. (Sewell, N.J.)
10. Giants Tim Lincecum, RHP
Washington
11. Diamondbacks Max Scherzer
RHP, Missouri
12. Rangers Kasey Kiker, LHP
H.S. (Phenix City, Ala.)
13. Cubs Tyler Colvin, LF
Clemson
14. Blue Jays Travis Snider, OF
H.S. (Everett, Wash.)
15. Nationals Chris Marrero, 3b
H.S. (Miami)
16. Brewers Jeremy Jeffress, RHP
H.S. (South Boston, Va.)
17. Padres Matt Antonelli, 3B
Wake Forest
18. Phillies
(for Billy Wagner) Kyle Drabek, RHP/SS
H.S. (The Woodlands, Texas)
19. Marlins Brett Sinkbeil, RHP
Missouri State
20. Twins Chris Parmelee, OF/1B
H.S. (Chino Hills, Calif.)
21. Yankees
(for Tom Gordon) Ian Kennedy, RHP
Southern California
22. Nationals
(for Esteban Loaiza) Colton Willems, RHP
H.S. (Fort Pierce, Fla.)
23. Astros Max Sapp, C
H.S. (Windermere, Fla.)
24. Braves Cody Johnson, 1B
H.S. (Panama City, Fla.)
25. Angels
(for Paul Byrd) Hank Conger, C
H.S. (Huntington Beach, Calif.)
26. Dodgers Bryan Morris, RHP
Motlow State (Tenn.) CC
27. Red Sox Jason Place, OF
H.S. (Easley, S.C.)
28. Red Sox
(for Johnny Damon) Daniel Bard, RHP
North Carolina
29. White Sox Kyle McCulloch, RHP
Texas
30. Cardinals Adam Ottavino, RHP
Northeastern

Hochevar was picked by the Dodgers last year, but they couldn't agree to the money, so I have no idea what the Royals are expecting out of him...great pitcher though, amazing stuff.

Longoria is going to be a great hitter, and for the record is not related to Eva in any way.

As for my Sox, Jason Place is someone I haven't heard too much about, but Bard is a great pick. One of those Hansen types who slips about ten spots just because the mid-market teams are afraid he won't sign. Great arm, hits 97 on the fastball, I bet he's in Pawtucket before the season ends, and probably starts at Portland.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm really excited about Conger because he's Asian

Tuggy
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
The A's don't pick until 66th. Hopefully Billy can find a nice arm.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
06-06-2006, 01:50 PM
The A's don't pick until 66th. Hopefully Billy can find a nice arm.

Need more fat corner IFs and catchers.

Preferably Jews

Ironchef Chris Wok*
06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
I am so NOT psyched about Bard. I jsut looked up his college stats.

He walked 5 guys in 9 innings. And is dinger prone.

SOOOOO not impressed.

Motown Beatdown
06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
6. Tigers Andrew Miller, LHP
North Carolina

Sounds like another gift for the Tigers. Signing him could be a problem but we heard that with Verlander and Maybin too and the Tigers found a way to get it done. A power lefty to go with Bonderman, Verlander and Zumaya. This staff could be amazing down the road.

Tuggy
06-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Need more fat corner IFs and catchers.

Preferably Jews

Is Joe Blanton lonely going to McDonalds?

Bruinaholic
06-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Sounds like another gift for the Tigers. Signing him could be a problem but we heard that with Verlander and Maybin too and the Tigers found a way to get it done. A power lefty to go with Bonderman, Verlander and Zumaya. This staff could be amazing down the road.

totally agree....
No surprise at all that he didnt get past Detroit IMO

Brodeur
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Hochevar was picked by the Dodgers last year, but they couldn't agree to the money, so I have no idea what the Royals are expecting out of him...great pitcher though, amazing stuff.

I hate that Scott Boras won. This was a thin draft, so I guess the Royals simply thought Hochevar is a better prospect than Miller.

The Dodgers offered (and Hochevar's former agent agreed to) 2.98 million, but Boras managed to convince Hochevar that he could get more. The Dodgers refused to up their offer out of principle (Hochevar was a sandwich pick last year), while Boras had the leverage of Hochevar getting drafted higher if he re-entered.

Early word is that the Royals already have a ceiling of 4 million dollars to sign Hochevar. They signed 3B Alex Gordon for 4 mil last year, and he's considered a much better prospect than Hochevar.

Friend is a Giants' fan, so he's not accustomed to having a first round pick. We just had this exchange:

friend: Tim Lincecum
friend: the Giants' K-Rod
me: in future news
me: the giants trade tim lincecum for jeremy affeldt

Ironchef Chris Wok*
06-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Hurry, somebody throw a chair!

Chaos
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Someone is gonna get a steal with RHP Jordan Walden. Saw him several times the past few years, and he's got just nasty stuff. Only reason he hasn't been picked yet is a somewhat inconsistant senior season.

acr*
06-06-2006, 02:23 PM
An interesting thing to watch in day two is that this is the year both Danny Almonte and Jeffrey Maier are draft-eligible.

Hilarous thing is that the Orioles were one of the teams heavily scouting Maier.

Douggy
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Baseball REALLY needs a rookie salary cap.

acr*
06-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I agree, it's a big flaw. You get high draft picks for sucking, but the Jared Weavers of the world can pretty much choose where they want to go based on the demands of the Borases...

CH Wizard
06-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, a projected late/early second rounder Lars Anderson went to the yanks in the 18th round.

The rumour is..Lars wants something close to 1 millions if he wants his ''drafting team'' to make him skip college and go pro. No wonder why a big market team like the yanks took a chance ;).

And the same goes for the sox who drafted a early projected pick in Laporta

Unfair :P

Well....weird looking draft. Lots of hs'ers...looked really weak for college hitters (REALLY).

Hockeyfan02
06-06-2006, 09:01 PM

MLB needs to do away with the retarded "lose a free agent, get a 1st round draft pick" rule. No other league rewards teams that much for losing a free agent.

Some Ray fans are not pleased with the Longoria pick. I agree in pitching help is needed, but they have pretty much no one at 3B prospect-wise and he was the best positional player in the draft. I've never heard of or seen any of these guys play so I don't really have a comment on who did well or not.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Laporta from UF go back to school for another year and re-enter the draft.

X0X0A0
06-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Longoria doesn't have the superstar potential of Alex Gordon or Ryan Zimmerman but it is nice filling a position that has been a blackhole every year the Rays have been playing.

Big McLargehuge
06-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I like Longoria, but from my baseball prospect guru buddies...he's not a god on offense, just for his position. I'm hearing Joe Randa if he were a second baseman. Hardly bad, good for a .300 average and 15 HR every year...but not exactly steroid numbers.

As a Pirates fan...I'm very happy with Lincoln. Most sources had us taking Longoria and I have to say I'm relieved it didn't happen. Castillo is not only going to be our 2B for a long time, he's going to be one of the faces of the franchise for a long time. Lincoln is yet another pitcher...something we have a glut of...but he has tons of talent and very little in terms of bust potential. He's good enough right now to be a mediocre starter in the majors...hopefully he improves over that at some point in his career and becomes the Ben Sheets clone he's projected as.

acr*
06-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Well, a projected late/early second rounder Lars Anderson went to the yanks in the 18th round.

The rumour is..Lars wants something close to 1 millions if he wants his ''drafting team'' to make him skip college and go pro. No wonder why a big market team like the yanks took a chance ;).

And the same goes for the sox who drafted a early projected pick in Laporta

Unfair :P

Well....weird looking draft. Lots of hs'ers...looked really weak for college hitters (REALLY).
Actually, it was Boston who got Lars Anderson. They took LaPorta too...I'm guessing they're going to sign one and let the other go to college...

Interesting draft for the Sox so far...a lot of "Sexy Picks", but I don't see depth or substance there...hopefully they all pan out and prove me wrong.

I hope they take the Papelbon twins in the late rounds...they're not like their older brother, but they'd be great to have in the organization.

Biggsy
06-07-2006, 12:40 AM
So weird how MLB has a draft during the season

Big McLargehuge
06-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Well...these guys have finished/are finishing there seasons right now. The draft is this time of year so they have their high school/college seasons finished before the draft.

Reign Nateo
06-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure the Royals picked Hochevar because they figured he was closer to the majors than Miller. They're both great pitching prospects though.

From a Jays perspective I like their draft. they drafted a potential big bat that has been compared (and coached by the same man) as Grady Sizemore. The latter having more athletic ability and the former possessing more power. Snider needs to drop 20 pounds that he put on to be a college linebacker (broke his ankle not going to happen now). This kid is a little too muscular for a corner outfilelder at present.

Then they drafted a pitcher I don't know much about and the best defensive catcher in the draft (who will one day be a decent backup). So all in all it was a decent draft.

HajdukSplit
06-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Not a deep draft from what I read, Mets drafted a pitcher from Villanova but knowing the recent first round picks of the Mets, he won't make it out of AA

Enoch
06-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Boston had a good draft in terms of talent, but there is no way they sign half the guys that fell. In the middle rounds they took player after player that were "1st round picks but...." In other words, its going to be hard to sign them - Giardana, Anderson, Laporta...all are good examples. Still, the Sox know how to draft and if they dish out a reasonable amount of money - they will have a terrific draft class from a weak draft.

The same could probably be said for the Yankees middle rounds, but to a lesser degree. Its always interesting to watch these two organizations.

The braves as usual, took 10000000000000 high school prospects that I know nothing about but will likely produce several major league arms.

Blades of Glory
06-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Lincecum apparently has a 101 MPH fastball and a knee-bending curve, but his size and durability is an issue. Hopefully he can prove them wrong, just like Tim Hudson and Roy Oswalt have. I want him as a starter, like he was in college, we don't need any more live young bullpen arms.

HajdukSplit
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I played against a kid who was drafted by the Red Sox, Ryan Kalish, he will most likely sign with the Red Sox

Ironchef Chris Wok*
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I played against a kid who was drafted by the Red Sox, Ryan Kalish, he will most likely sign with the Red Sox

I hear he's from West Jordan or something. I also heard he was a decent player and a decent guy.

CH Wizard
06-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Funny and weird story..

Jeffery Maier went undrafted right?

Jeffery Maier was supposed to go early...

Maier? I dont know how old he is/was but he is the kid that ruined the O's shot at going to the World Series in 1995 by catching a flyball in the stands. Yes! He's the same kid.

Unholy Diver
06-10-2006, 05:34 PM
same thing with Danny Almonte the overage little leaguer from a few years ago

xander
06-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Not a deep draft from what I read, Mets drafted a pitcher from Villanova but knowing the recent first round picks of the Mets, he won't make it out of AA

Have you been watching Lastings Milledge?

Skk82
06-10-2006, 06:38 PM

that's pretty cool. one of my classmates was taken in the 11th round by baltimore as a 1st baseman....same kid started a game for the university of virginia at quarterback.

talk about athletic ability!

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
06-10-2006, 10:56 PM
I missed playing against Chris Farley, who was taken by the Sox in the 14th round in 2001, by a year. That's my big story.

Big McLargehuge
06-10-2006, 11:00 PM
The kid's name is Chris Farley...that had to suck for him.

cali valley
07-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Lincecum apparently has a 101 MPH fastball and a knee-bending curve, but his size and durability is an issue. Hopefully he can prove them wrong, just like Tim Hudson and Roy Oswalt have. I want him as a starter, like he was in college, we don't need any more live young bullpen arms.

its hit 101 but he sits at about 93-96 hitting triple digits with a nasty curve.He could be nasty.:yo: