Johnson out with a shoulder injury

Hordichuk_24
11-05-2003, 11:41 PM
Coyotes' Johnson out with injury
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
When things are going bad — and for the Coyotes, they are bad right now — even a three-day break in the schedule can produce somber news.

Already in the midst of their longest winless streak in five years (eight games), the Coyotes placed last year's leading scorer, right wing Mike Johnson, on the injured reserve list Wednesday with a left shoulder injury. Johnson said the injury has bothered him for more than a week and finally became too much to bear during Saturday's 7-3 loss in Los Angeles.

“It's been wearing down, an ongoing kind of problem,'' said Johnson, who will miss at least the next five games. “We're trying to find out just what we're dealing with. My range of motion is affected and some of my strength. It's been bothering me, so it was time to find out.''

Neither Johnson nor the Coyotes would elaborate on the extent of the injury, but sources say preliminary examinations have diagnosed a torn labrum, which could require surgery. If that is confirmed by a second examination, Johnson could miss three to four months, a devastating blow to a Phoenix team already reeling from an 0-5-3 tailspin, capped by a pointed team meeting following the loss to the Kings.

Johnson had played in 126 consecutive games with Phoenix, mostly alongside linemates Ladislav Nagy and Daymond Langkow, forming the Coyotes' only consistent scoring trio over the last two seasons. Those three players missed only two games combined last season (Nagy) and produced 66 goals and 168 points. They were off to another hot start this season with 10 goals and 28 points — taking part in one of every three Phoenix goals in the first 11 games — but Johnson had taken only 17 shots this season and was passing up shots over the last few games as the shoulder pain worsened.

Ironically, Johnson had one of his most physical games in a Phoenix uniform Saturday, sending Aaron Miller and Ian Laperriere to the ice with hard checks. But Johnson said it's not impact as much as twisting and reaching that is giving him problems, indicating damage inside the shoulder.

“Whatever the problem is, you want to get it fixed so you can be normal again,'' he said.

Phoenix coach Bob Francis has attempted to break up the line to spread out the scoring among the forwards — usually, Johnson was the one moved — but eventually reunited the three players who have a strong chemistry on the ice.

“Mike is as consistent and reliable a player as we have. We've leaned on him a lot. Whatever length of time he's out, he's going to be missed,'' Francis said. “Not only from a scoring standpoint, but special teams and a guy who is very good at limiting quality scoring chances by the opponent, something we really have to be better at (35 goals allowed during the eight-game winless skid).

Branko Radivojevic will get the first chance alongside Nagy and Langkow tonight when the Coyotes face the Colorado Avalanche in Denver. Shane Doan will remain with Chris Gratton and be joined by Brian Savage, who has returned a week early from a broken thumb.

Rick Middleton
11-06-2003, 05:50 AM
Any updates on the injury? Is it a torn labrum? I have him in a lifetime hockey pool and will have to burn a call-up if he is out for a prolonged period of time.

CoyoteBaloney
11-06-2003, 07:10 AM
The MRI is later today.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/1106yotes1106.html
http://www.aztrib.com/index.php?sty=12631

YotesFan
11-06-2003, 07:50 AM
Not good at all. We need to bring Taffe up now!!

11-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Not good at all. We need to bring Taffe up now!!

You won't see Taffe called up unless, Boucher is sent to the minors on a "condititioning stint" or Johnson is put on the IR. We won't know until later today if he is on the IR, but then I'd say Taffe is a Phoenix Coyote.

Doug
11-06-2003, 08:52 AM
You won't see Taffe called up unless, Boucher is sent to the minors on a "condititioning stint" or Johnson is put on the IR. We won't know until later today if he is on the IR, but then I'd say Taffe is a Phoenix Coyote.
Why? Isn't Brian Savage coming off the IR and playing in tonight's game in Colorodo? If so, it all balances out. Savage returns to the line-up and Johnson is out of the line-up.

ALA YotesPhan
11-06-2003, 08:54 AM

Why? All this does is allow Savage to come off the IR.
Johnson is a RW, if Taffe was not brought up to replace Sillinger at C or Savage at LW, makes no sense to bring him up to replace Johnson at RW.

11-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Why? All this does is allow Savage to come off the IR.
Johnson is a RW, if Taffe was not brought up to replace Sillinger at C or Savage at LW, makes no sense to bring him up to replace Johnson at RW.

If Johnson doesn't go on the IR, someone will be sent to Springfield then, this was already knowledge. That's why I say you won't see Taffe coming up with the logjam in Phoenix already unless Johnson goes on the IR or Boucher down to the minors. There has also been talk of sending Spiller back down to the minors as well. So that is realistic, but that'd only leave us with 6 D on the team too. I don't think Francis has ever done that by choice, but then again since when does management consult Francis about anything. :rant:

CoyoteBaloney
11-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Why would Taffe Sillinger? Sillinger has been one of better centers.

Johnson has been placed on the IR and Savage has come off. Taffe won't be recalled until the MRI reveals how long Johnny will be out ... and then Taffe may still not get recalled.

11-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Source (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=59600&hubName=nhl)

Mike Johnson will miss the next five games after being placed on the injured reserve list with a shoulder injury. Johnson says the injury has been bothering him for more than a week.

So he's on the IR, and the situation worked itself out. I'd still like to see Boucher on a bus.

ulf
11-06-2003, 10:44 AM
maybe now we'll see if bronco is ready.

i hope the injury is minor but the silver lining is the emergence of bronco,getting 1st line duty, it would sure stengthen the other lines if he can handle the assignment and johnson could move to shore up the 2nd line.

doan would become the best 3rd line rwer in the game.

nagy langkow bronco
savage gratton johnson
hrdina kolanos doan
nash sillinger wilson

wishful thinking i'm sure ;)

11-06-2003, 11:26 AM
I'd like to see them experiment more with the Nagy-Hrdina-Branko line. It seems like Johnson & Lankgow have more chemistry together than Langkow-Nagy IMO, so it's easier to move Langkow to another line. Of course that would just mean that someone else moves to the left side since that is where Hrdina is.

I'd like to see:
Nagy-Hrdina-Branko
Savage-Gratton-Doan
Kolanos-Langkow-Cleary
Nash-Sillinger-Wilson

It might help Langkow to play the PK a little more with his reduced even strength ice time, and play around with the PP too.

Waldo
11-06-2003, 11:29 AM
maybe now we'll see if bronco is ready.

i hope the injury is minor but the silver lining is the emergence of bronco,getting 1st line duty, it would sure stengthen the other lines if he can handle the assignment and johnson could move to shore up the 2nd line.

doan would become the best 3rd line rwer in the game.

nagy langkow bronco
savage gratton johnson
hrdina kolanos doan
nash sillinger wilson

wishful thinking i'm sure ;)

Hrdina, Kolanos, Doan could be awesome. But we sure need another line to start scoring consistently. So far Langkow's is the only successful line. They need to find another line with some chemistry.

chrypkr
11-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know how the MRI turned out? I had surgery on my left shoulder 4 years ago for a torn labrum from a hockey injury. My right arm also has a torn labrum that I am schedueled for surgery in Scottsdale next week. It is a nasty repair with a long recovery period. The good part is that with a damaged labrum you are still strong with your arms low- as in a stick on the ice. Try to raise your arm to above shoulder level and there is little strength. You can lay in bed, relax the shoulder muscles and feel your shoulder slide out of socket. With a good surgon he will recover 99 to 100%.
-Gary

coyotesfan2028
11-07-2003, 01:14 AM
my father also had both of his shoulders done for the same reason..he used to be a goalie and his shoulder would always pop out. he has full strength in both of his arms..but cant do certain motions (ex-throw a baseball..he throws sidearm)

bryan helmer also had this surgery done. i believe he is starting rehab soon. he's hoping to be back late dec. early january.

tearing something in your shoulder is a long and painful injury. and rehab can take anywhere from a month to 6 months. hopefully johnson will be back soon and not need surgery

neelynugs
11-07-2003, 06:35 AM
good opportunity for radivojevic..i think he will take the next step towards becoming a 25 goal scorer

Koytez7_28
11-09-2003, 10:38 AM
JOHNSON TO HAVE SURGERY

By Sergey Kocharov

Prior to tonight’s impressive 4-3 overtime victory over the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim; the Phoenix Coyotes learned that forward Mike Johnson will undergo shoulder surgery that will sideline him for three-to-five months.

The results of a magnetic resonance imaging test revealed that the 29-year-old Johnson has a torn labrum muscle in his shoulder. Johnson – who believes he sustained the injury last season in a game at Carolina – could of continued to play with a bum shoulder, but lastly opted to have the surgery after learning the risk involved with playing with the injury.

“When it was all explained to me, it wasn’t an easy decision, but it was the right one for me,” said Johnson, who will have the surgery on Tuesday and will be performed by Cleveland based Dr. Tony Miniaci. “The risks were too severe for me. They said that if I continue to play, there’s a chance I could tear my rotator cuff. So, therefore, hockey-wise and life-wise I think it was the right decision to make.”

Phoenix General Manager Mike Barnett echoed Johnson’s sentiments.

“From our perspective, getting it done now is the best thing for him,” said Barnett. “He has many years left in his career. By not dealing with this high level of injury would be worse and potentially might send his career back.

“When you see a guy icing down his shoulder for so many nights after the game, you know it’s something more than an occasional shoulder pain. So it’s time to get it fixed.”

The Coyotes will surely miss Johnson’s presence on the ice. He’s been the most consistent Coyote for the past two years and was constantly among team leaders in ice time.

Without Johnson, head coach Bob Francis is forced to shuffle his lines – especially the first line, which has been the most productive line with Johnson, Daymond Langkow and Ladislav Nagy.

“For the most part he played on a line that was one of our best,” said Barnett. “Mike Johnson is a solid two-way hockey player. As much as he creates on the offense, he’s just responsible on the defensive end as well. And we’ll miss that the most.”

When asked if he would pursue a trade or sign a player via free agency to compensate for Johnson’s injury, Barnett quickly downplayed the suggestion and added that the help should come within the roster.

“It’s an opportunity for guys like Danny (Cleary) and Branko (Radivojevic) to step up and have an opportunity to get more minutes and contribute. At the present time we’re not looking to do anything.”

And if they continue to play like they did tonight, they won’t need to.

With Johnson’s injury and a desperate need to unearth some offense, Francis reshuffled his lines in tonight’s come-from-behind overtime victory. The trio that appeared to have the most success was the “Slovak Line” with Nagy, Radivojevic and Jan Hrdina as they combined for two goals and three assists.

“When you lose a guy like Jonny, everybody else will have to make up for it,” said Burke, who turned aside 23 of 26 shots. “Jonny brings so much to our team. It’s extremely disappointing to lose him to injury, but we’ll have to find a way to persevere.

And they did just that tonight.

roadrunner
11-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Just our luck! Coming off of a career year and now this! :shakehead God's speed Jonny!