Straka - Red Wings

Der Schweinehund
11-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Forgot to mention this last night, but on my drive home from work I was listening to the Primetime show (as usual) on Toronto's FAN 590. I wasn't particularly paying attention at one point (due to glorious Toronto traffic) when the hosts Bob McCown and Damien Cox were interviewing Steve Thomas, but I heard the name Martin Straka come up along with something of the fact that "Detroit is hot on Straka's tail right now..." type thing. For what its worth, McCown and Cox are not rumor mongerers - in fact the former trys to avoid hockey talk like the plague at times.

This is the first I have heard Straka's name mentioned in media trade talk recently. Any other tidbits?

iagreewithidiots
11-06-2003, 02:41 AM
I wouldnt be looking for much.

Kovalev was worth something, Jagr was worth something, Straka considering recent injury history and salary isnt worth much (not my opinion but its more realistic then my opinion).

They would probably have to package him with someone to get anything maybe Tarnstrom.

Even then youre looking at a pick maybe a mid level prospect.

SaintRon
11-06-2003, 03:22 AM
"Detroit is hot on Straka's tail right now..."

Please, please Wings take this guy and give us something, anything, in return. Won't get much for Marty as his play has been way off since his mid 20's.

SaintRon

The Tang
11-06-2003, 05:00 AM
well if they do trade for him, i dont see us getting anyone that young. i can only see picks really coming from them. i wouldnt even imagine they tink of giving up zetterberg or fischer.

kutdacheez
11-06-2003, 05:23 AM
IMHO, if I'm Detroit . . . I am much more after someone larger and more physical than Marty Straka. They (Detroit) have many problems that I see:
(a) They are aged. Sure Hull, Shananhan and Yzerman are scorers but would anyone lay odds on how many games Yzerman is going to play? The there's Hasek . . . once a flexible goalie who depended on his reflexes. Did one year out of hockey, along with his age make him an equal to CuJo? Hatcher is down and Chelios is freakin 41.
(b) With Fedorov and Larionov taking his SS checks and Yzerman a question mark . . . a once strong up the middle team is now weak up the middle and Straka, whether anyone wants to admit or not hasn't played the center position with any consistency since the 8th grade picnic.
(c) Size. The Red Wings seem to get smaller every year. They just signed Steve Thomas who while a mucker and grinder type . . . he is about Marty Straka's size. When you add Ray Whitney and Hendrik Zetterberg (who are smaller) and Juri Hudler (who, is yet smaller) into that mix these are not really what one would call heavy-weight forwards.

I would say they would not want another small forward and besides that I can't think of any "fair-deal" to both parties that could be worked out.

So I net-out . . . no deal . . . just talk.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
11-06-2003, 05:25 AM
At least they wouldn't worry about his salary, so Pittsburgh might get a better player from Detroit than expected. I would be REALLY sad to see Straka go. He's not as talented as Kovalev and Jagr, but he shows a lot of heart and has made it clear that he wants to stay in Pittsburgh.

puskarm
11-06-2003, 07:17 AM
You know, Marty Straka used to be one of my favorite players. Before his injury troubles, he skated his arse off and showed as much heart and determination as anyone else on the ice.

But after he came back from his injuries last season, he seemed to be different. I noticed he was skating straight up and down a lot more, rather than crouched and driving his legs. He was waiting for the puck to come to him, rather than try to make plays. I hoped he was still not 100%, that he just needed to adjust to the game again.

This season, in my opinion, proves that he simply has not made a successful return (and maybe never will) from his injuries. He doesn't put nearly the effort into the game that he once did. Whether that is because he can't or just doesn't want to is ultimately irrelevant -- he's not worth $4 million a year, not by a long shot.

And it's really sad. Even when names like Kovalev and Jagr were still gracing Penguins' sweaters, my favorite was Straka. He had more heart than the two of those guys put together. But he's a shadow of his former self, and it doesn't appear to be getting any better.

look out for orpik
11-06-2003, 07:42 AM
i wouldnt mind getting a draft pick because detroit almost always drafts well

Evilo
11-06-2003, 09:29 AM
If only we could get Hudler... I know, I know, I should stop dreaming...

Big McLargehuge
11-06-2003, 09:49 AM
We probably could get Detroit's first and nothing else. I'd be perfectly fine with that...

Detroit once again is about ready to sell off their first rounder to the highest bidder.

DJ Spinoza
11-06-2003, 10:24 AM
I'd be fine with a second.

That'd make like one first and three/four seconds next year...Which might be enough to move up if find ourselves out of the top three or four somehow...

tom_servo
11-06-2003, 10:27 AM
If only we could get Hudler... I know, I know, I should stop dreaming...

Eh. Hudler isn't too much to ask. Colorado gave up Radim Vrbata for Bates Battaglia.

Rowsdower
11-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Eh. Hudler isn't too much to ask. Colorado gave up Radim Vrbata for Bates Battaglia.

Agreed.....I don't think Hudler is too much to ask for at all....I actually remember quite a few poster that thought Hudler for Straka would be a workable deal in a thread on the trade rumors board...I personally don't want to see Marty go, but it seems likely he will and after he Kovy trade I am prepared for anything....

Der Schweinehund
11-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Should the Wings continue their existing pace (in spite of the whipping of a very bad Flames team) the desperation will only grow. But the fit of Straka in their roster seems outright bizarre at best to my ever-humble opinion. I think the need for a big-time centerman far outweighs the necessity of adding Straka - whom the Wings seem to have plenty of similar players, young and not-so-young.

But if the desperation breeds the desire to acquire Straka, then fantastic. The Pens will only benefit by the relief of the contract, and of course, what should be better-than-expected returns given it is a desperate situation.

The guy the Pens have who really seems like a very good fit for the Wings (besides Lemieux) could be Roszival. He's an upgrade on Wooley and Dandenault and ultimately would be a very-solid number 6 once Hatcher returns. (He might be the best number 6 defenseman in the NHL in such case.)

Straka and Roszival for Hudler and 2nd/3rd rounder - should Holland really get the itchy trigger finger (a la the Schneider deal).

The guy I would also love to get is Tomas Holmstrom - someone with desire, grit, character, and brains. (Of which Buchberger is batting .500, McKenna has a cool .250, and Holzinger downright frozen with .000.)

GoPenguins
11-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Marty Straka right now is one player who will always be remembered as a hard working player who played his heart out for the city of Pittsburgh. Sadly I have to concur that he hasnt quite managed to recapture his game, but then again, losing the magical chemistry he had with Kovy and Lang didnt help. I dont think he is injury prone, but I am sure the run of concurrent injuries one after the other must have had some mental effect on him.

I am fine with him as an 'A' but am not sure if he would be the best choice to inherit the 'C'. If Detroit are interested in him, I am sure he'd thrive with all that skill on their team. As for potential return, getting someone like Hudler (I would have added Zetterberg before this season, but he's probably untouchable now) would be nice. A pick would also be nice.

I think noone here wants to see Marty go. Most of us are resigned to the fact he probably will be moved. However, if he does go, Marty will be one player who deserves to receive a warm welcome every time he comes back to Pittsburgh.

Koltsov71
11-06-2003, 02:09 PM

So what? That was a really bad deal for Colorado.

tom_servo
11-06-2003, 02:21 PM
So what? That was a really bad deal for Colorado.

At least Vrbata had done something in the NHL by then. Hudler has not.

But I might rethink my stance, because I thought Hudler, as hyped as he is by HFBoards, was drafted lower than the second round.

AEKaki
11-06-2003, 02:51 PM
At least Vrbata had done something in the NHL by then. Hudler has not.

But I might rethink my stance, because I thought Hudler, as hyped as he is by HFBoards, was drafted lower than the second round.

Straka
for

"injured and out for 2-months" Zetterberg

Mystery
11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
It would be unlikely that the Red Wings would be interested in Martin Straka. They already have three smallish skilled forwards in Zetterberg, Hudler and Whitney. Add to that recent signee Steve Thomas who is small but gritty and the forward unit of the Red Wings becomes very small in stature. Further, with the CBA negotiations coming up, Straka is on the hook for $4,250,000 this season and $4,750,000 next season. Even a team like the Detroit Red Wings would be worried about that kind of price, particularly with all the talk about salary caps coming into place.

Jacob
11-06-2003, 04:49 PM
What about Grigorenko? The (injury) risks might be worth the possible reward. So much so that I doubt the Wings will deal him.

tom_servo
11-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Yeah right. Holzinger has no value, so you're essentially trading Straka and a 5th for Devereaux, Holmstrom, and a 2nd? They wouldn't give up Holmstrom for Straka, I don't think.

Coffey77
11-06-2003, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't expect the Wings to give up much for Straka, especially if the Pens don't take on any salary.

Maybe a Kopecky perhaps? I don't know, just throwing out a name. I don't think Hudler is going anywhere. Also I don't think that Straka is worth a first rounder.

As for Holmstrom, not sure if the Pens should go after him. He's a UFA after this year I think. But if they are in a salary dumping mode, I suppose it works. But the Pens are better off getting someone who will stick around.

Big McLargehuge
11-06-2003, 05:49 PM
I'd be ecstatic to see Holmstrom in a Pens jersey.

I absolutely love his style.

DJ Spinoza
11-06-2003, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't expect the Wings to give up much for Straka, especially if the Pens don't take on any salary.

Maybe a Kopecky perhaps? I don't know, just throwing out a name. I don't think Hudler is going anywhere. Also I don't think that Straka is worth a first rounder.

As for Holmstrom, not sure if the Pens should go after him. He's a UFA after this year I think. But if they are in a salary dumping mode, I suppose it works. But the Pens are better off getting someone who will stick around.

I agree.

I think it might be in the Pens interest to just add another maybe 2nd or 3rd round pick. Maybe they can pick up a mediocre prospect too. We have to face the fact that this would be an even bigger salary dump than Kovalev, because with Straka there is the question of whether he will stay healthy (he's not injury prone, but has been so unlucky, and who knows if he will be back to 100%).

Straka has much less trade value at this point than Kovalev did, especially with the guaranteed money after the CBA Armageddon. He's one of my favorite players, but you have to accept that if we can get something like a second rounder, it'd be nice.

We won't be landing Zetterberg or Datsyuk or Holmstrom or Fischer etc for him. Besides that would take away from Detroit's roster not add to it, which is what they are trying to do.

Evilo
11-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Was Vrbata for Battaglia a salary dump ? No it wasn't.

Evilo
11-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Oh yeah Devereaux is fast.
Fast signing 1.6M$ paychecks and not doing anything on the ice except skate... fast...

AEKaki
11-06-2003, 08:32 PM
I don't like Devereaux.
I don't understand why u guys are even mentioning him.
They want to get rid of him for a reason.

I wouldn't trade Straka just yet.
I would wait for the best time: When a team is really desperate.
They have good young players. I would TRY for Zetterberg, but it will be next to impossible.

Ticallion961
11-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Oh my, when i saw the name Holmstrom i almost cried.
I'd so love to see him in Pittsburgh.
Put him in front of the net on the powerplay, it would help considerably.

Der Schweinehund
11-07-2003, 03:16 AM
To get a Hudler, it will take more than Straka. Hence why I would also give up (rather reluctantly I might add) Roszival.

But at this point, I am a-ok with getting compartively little in return such as a 4th/5th round pick and possibly amore mid-level prospect. The name that jumps out to me is Tomas Fleischmann.

Right now, what's more important - getting a good return for Straka or keeping Fleury up? That little voice tells me the latter is far, far more valuable to the health of the franchise and that, in fact, might be a choice that has to be made.

HeHateMeFrisbee
11-07-2003, 06:47 AM
Straka
for

"injured and out for 2-months" Zetterberg

HAHAHAHAAHAH Nice one. :lol:

Wingboy2999
11-07-2003, 07:00 AM
However mentioned Zetterberg, YEAH RIGHT! That would NEVER EVER happen. Wings wouldn't even give up Holmstrom for Straka. He is very valuable to us. Devereaux and Kopecky for Straka and something sounds like it would work.

I still don't know where we will put Straka.

Wingboy2999
11-07-2003, 07:03 AM
As much as it sucks to say, don't even bothering using the word "fair" as none of the deals proposed or that will happen will be fair. Just won't happen......

Koltsov71
11-07-2003, 08:45 AM
As much as it sucks to say, don't even bothering using the word "fair" as none of the deals proposed or that will happen will be fair. Just won't happen......

Agreed. I kept quiet in this thread, but some of these ideas are outlandish.

Pensfan66
11-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Just to get Hudler I would offer Rozy to go along with Straka.

iagreewithidiots
11-08-2003, 07:57 AM
You are absolutely wrong. Kovalev was worth plenty. The problem is that he Pens got money, rather than players as a return. Same with Jagr, whose value was further limited but the tiny market for an $11 million player

I dont know how you figure Im absolutely wrong. We agree Kovalev and Jagr were worth something but the trades were salary dumps.

If the Pens don't ask for money, they should get more for Straka than for either Kovalev or Jagr. His injuries were freek accidents and hos $4 million salary is not unreasonable for a guy is a sure 25-30 goal scorer and a point a game player. He hasn't been great this year, but consider who he is playing with. Further, the lockout next year will wipe out most of the salary that he is owed.

Dude you have to come up with something better than this.

If the Pens dont ask for money Straka still inst worth more than Jagr or Kovalev. Do you really think Straka would get a Beech type prospect?

$4 million is totally unreasonalbe for someone of Strakas age, recent injury history, and lousy career numbers outside of Pittsburgh. I dont even have to mention he hasnt done much this year.

Further a lockout next year isnt a given if you make that part of you sales pitch nobody is buying.

The fact that they have not traded him yet suggests that they are not looking for money. I expect them to get more for Straka than they did for Kovalev and certainly more than they got for Hedberg.

The fact they havent traded him suggests nobody wants him. Who in thier right mind would take Straka at 4 million then give the Pens money on top of it? If the Pens are looking for money they better get real. I would be very happy with the return they got for Hedberg. I think a low 2nd round pick would be more than fair.

Evilo
11-08-2003, 08:28 AM
I dont know how you figure Im absolutely wrong. We agree Kovalev and Jagr were worth something but the trades were salary dumps.

Dude you have to come up with something better than this.

If the Pens dont ask for money Straka still inst worth more than Jagr or Kovalev. Do you really think Straka would get a Beech type prospect?

$4 million is totally unreasonalbe for someone of Strakas age, recent injury history, and lousy career numbers outside of Pittsburgh. I dont even have to mention he hasnt done much this year.

Further a lockout next year isnt a given if you make that part of you sales pitch nobody is buying.

The fact they havent traded him suggests nobody wants him. Who in thier right mind would take Straka at 4 million then give the Pens money on top of it? If the Pens are looking for money they better get real. I would be very happy with the return they got for Hedberg. I think a low 2nd round pick would be more than fair.
Don't bother with him, this guy is banned from the Pens board...
Was just here to start trouble...

Darth Vitale
11-09-2003, 11:35 AM
I still think we ought to package Kraft while he's still got some perceived value (and some deadweight like Holzinger) in any deal for Straka. That way we could at least get a high draft pick out of it. We're not going to get much of anything for Marty (by himself) at this point, given his injuries the last couple years.

Plus, the LAST thing the Wings need -- as was mentioned -- is a small, skilled forward. They got those out the ying-yang. They need a BIG, skilled forward. And one who is not in his 30s.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
11-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Just to get Hudler I would offer Rozy to go along with Straka.
I wouldn't. Pittsburgh is going to need all the help they can get on defence and Hudler is far from a sure thing.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
11-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Straka, Tarnstom, and Van's 2nd for Shastlivy and Rachunek. It would be nice to get a deal like that, but it would never happen. I would like to see Straka and maybe a pick for Shastlivy, but again, can Ottawa take on Straka's salary? Their new owner said he was going to spend money on the Sens. :dunno:

Evilo
11-09-2003, 07:27 PM
I still think we ought to package Kraft while he's still got some perceived value (and some deadweight like Holzinger) in any deal for Straka. That way we could at least get a high draft pick out of it. We're not going to get much of anything for Marty (by himself) at this point, given his injuries the last couple years.

Plus, the LAST thing the Wings need -- as was mentioned -- is a small, skilled forward. They got those out the ying-yang. They need a BIG, skilled forward. And one who is not in his 30s.
And of course Detroit will find the next Joe Thornton easily around the league?
Detroit doesn't have the choice. See who's on the block these days and that can have an impact : Marty, Jagr, Lang. That's it. They tried to trade for Lang. So far they haven't been able to.