MARK EVERSON - Devils eye Berezin

Mike#16*
11-06-2003, 05:22 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/42346.htm

Their fourth straight victory last night might tempt them to stand pat, but the Devils already have begun talks toward signing speedy gunner Sergei Berezin, sources have told The Post.

The champs haven't yet signed unrestricted free agent Berezin, and the Rangers are believed among a half-dozen teams interested in the left winger who turned 32 yesterday, although Glen Sather's interest might not be as strong as that of the Devils.

another complete BS from Everson??

NJDevs430
11-06-2003, 05:34 AM
another complete BS from Everson??
Probably...but you never know.
I had completely forgotten about the puck getting caught up in Nabokov's equipment until I read that article...that was pretty good for a laugh.
}:-)>

GentlemanOfLeisure
11-06-2003, 07:04 AM
Oh god please no not berezin, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let him go to the rangers and not back check. i hate this guy. he's soft, he's a coward, he's lazy, he don't care about winning the stanley cup. he' greedy, he's selfish, he's stupid, he's old and he only plays well against US!!!!!!!.

Mike#16*
11-06-2003, 07:33 AM
now the rumor is all over the net, thefourthperiod is reporting it, tsn too - hope this is not true!

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/nj11.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story.asp?ID=59602&hubName=nhl-devils

Brodeur
11-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Hrm, last year Everson had an article about how the Devils were going to try to lure Rick Tocchet out of retirement. Obviously that one never came to fruition.

NJDevils#4
11-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Why the hell would we need Berezin? Well whatever, we'll see what happens. I think we have enough offensive players now. I wouldn't mind maybe seeing him play with Freeze and Larionov, but still...no real need for him.

GentlemanOfLeisure
11-06-2003, 09:38 AM
now the rumor is all over the net, thefourthperiod is reporting it, tsn too - hope this is not true!

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/nj11.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story.asp?ID=59602&hubName=nhl-devils

The forth period is poor!!!!!!! they reported a few month ago that Joe Nieuwendyk had "re-signed with the devils" two days before he signed with toronto.

tsn is usually somewhat accurate.

4check22
11-06-2003, 09:42 AM
I trust Everson's reports on the Devils' future plans as much as I trust Bill Clinton to be alone with my little sister.

Unthinkable
11-06-2003, 10:28 AM
I wanted him at the trade deadline last season and would still welcome this move with both arms open after seeing the job Burns did with Dmitri Khristich in Boston. A lot of Bruins fans were quick to write Khristich off as a player rapidly on the decline with few skills to contribute to the team when he was acquired and he ended up being one of the teams most aggressive penalty killers in addition to being a top scoring presence along with Allison. Fans tended to say see I told you so when he reverted back to his older form after his career with the B's ended following the team walking away from him in arbitration for the first time in NHL history, but no one can deny how vital he was to the Bruins while he was a member of the team. Pat Burns injected new blood, new passion, and new life into his career in a big big way with a ton of confidence in his abilities. I really hope this happens as this team has needed an additional sniper for a long long time now and Berezin would give us that extra presence we're still hoping will be filled by players like Berglund and eventually Suglobov. Bergs hasn't scored enough goals in his time up with the big club to make me think he'll instantly become an established presence this year in truth. Remember all the fans who felt Tverdovsky would be the worst liability on defense when he was brought into the system with the endless Turnoverdovsky references? He ended up doing a better job on D then a lot of folks expected him to do, but unfortunately couldn't bring much at all in the way of offense to a team already set in the top 4. Give Berezin a chance to work out here. Brylin can play either wing and is a much more solid contributor over Erik Rasmussen. We have some rather saavy vets and a great coaching staff which can work with Berezin on his defensive game to the same degree they've done so far with Hale and Martin on the blue line.

BigBully4
11-06-2003, 10:54 AM
The way I see it, Berezin is a Devil-killer who could definitely be used. Rasmussen blows, so deal him to Vancouver for a draft pick, pick up Berezin, put him on a line with Brylin and Larionov, and watch the fun begin. He's a sniper with nothing but an upside. So he's a defensive liability. So was Mogilny, and look how that turned out.

Plus, I want a Devil to wear No. 95. It would look cool.

Tbg1515
11-06-2003, 12:24 PM
I think this would be a good addition to the team, Our power play is clicking but hes a guy who can play the point and has the big shot and a guy who actually shoots on the power play.....And if anyone can get him to play defense Burns knows how to....

4check22
11-06-2003, 12:42 PM
I think this would be a good addition to the team, Our power play is clicking but hes a guy who can play the point and has the big shot and a guy who actually shoots on the power play.....And if anyone can get him to play defense Burns knows how to....

I wouldn't mind having Berezin either but not on point for our PP. Niedermayer and Rafalski have been great at co-quarterbacking the power play from the points, and Larionov has been a great leader at distributing to the forwards and cutting defensemen (when he has been healthy). I guess for the second power play unit it would be good to have him, but again I wouldn't put him at the point. Martin (when he is healthy) plays well there with Stevens.

dennisjs
11-06-2003, 01:57 PM
His overall game might suck, but this team needs some finishers. Why not. I hope it happens.

_Del_
11-06-2003, 02:01 PM
I'm going to voice my unpopular opinion ;) When Berezin was acquired by Phoenix I was less than thrilled by the move. All you ever here is that he never backchecks, never passes and overstickhandles while not playing D -- and of course, I never saw enough of him to make me think otherwise.

However, after seeing him in action I think he's a solid player and wouldn't mind seeing him on the Devils squad (they're my
East Conf team).
He does overstick handle. But his passes are crisp and accurate, and he has a blazing shot which he isn't afraid to use. I don't think he used his linemates in PHX properly -- but that's hard to do when you're linemates are less than stellar and usually still trapsing their way through the neutral zone while you've made it to the top of the face off circle. And much to my surprise (and delight) I frequently saw him use his speed to break up a play on defense. I don't ever recall seeing much in the way of hitting, but he can back check. And he was even used atleast occasionally on the PK.
Consistancy is a problem. He had many chances but couldn't seem to finish for long stretches. Trying to stick handle through the middle of the ice while the opposition is holding their blueline is a problem. I don't think he'll ever get a Selke, but I don't think his defense is as big a problem as its made to be -- like many things here (and elsewhere) I think its one of the things that's been said so many times it becomes a 'common knowledge' even if it isn't neccessarily true. I think having line mates with speed would help him immensily in gaining the zone, and having a true playmaker to work with would obviously not hurt. None of these things he had in Phoenix, and he would have in New Jersey. He certainly wasn't a good fit in the dump-and-sometimes-chase system that Phoenix uses, but based solely on his play, if not a fan, I'm certainly not biased against him anymore. I won't speak of his play in MTL/CHI/WAS since then, since I can't say that I actually saw more than a few games of his while he was in any of those cities (although statistically he did very well late in WAS with a talented lineup)
Anyway, as it's not a trade and is only a FA pickup, I don't see much harm in giving it a shot assuming it's a one-year deal. I never really thought Mogilny would do much in the NJ system, and that seemed to work well. Worse that happens is that he does squat and he gets sat or waived or dealt for a 7th rnd pick at the deadline.

NJDraft
11-06-2003, 02:57 PM
For the record Berezin is a LW, but a r/s: he can play RW ![Everson had him at LW] and that makes more sense as NJ has a pretty strong left side. I don't think it will happen unless Lou is thinking ahead when he will deal a vet forward, like Elias perhaps?

Unthinkable
11-06-2003, 04:04 PM
I watched Berezin pretty closely after the trade deadline deal which sent him from Chicago to Washington and he was a point a game player and plust 10 for the final 9 games. I don't think he got a lot of media focus with Nylander having such a sweet season following his trade from the same team. Cant really argue that Berezin was the same player in the postseason that he was prior to it, but truthfully there were a lot of passengers for Washington in that series against Tampa Bay, once the Prospal - Lecavalier - St. Louis line was assembled to near instant perfection. Sergei managed one assist in 6 games and wound up -2 against the Bolts.

NJ_Devil_Boy
11-06-2003, 05:18 PM
:shakehead

I hope not. I watched him many times while in Toronto and he was horrible. If you want a defensive liability and a GREEDY player, than Berezin is your man. I'd hate to be his linemates because you'll never touch the puck.

Note: One game, he was noted for passing twice.

:shakehead

Unthinkable
11-06-2003, 06:23 PM
He's a better player then he was in his Leafs days. Sergei Samsonov and Pavel Bure are two other skilled russian players who tend to forget to use their linemates from time to time just the same. I watched Zinovjev hold onto the puck for way too long tonight against the Sharks late in the game to the point where Dale Arnold and Gord Kluzak were both commenting on how he has to realize you can't do the same things in this league that you can easily do elsewhere.

NJ_Devil_Boy
11-06-2003, 06:29 PM
He's a better player then he was in his Leafs days. Sergei Samsonov and Pavel Bure are two other skilled russian players who tend to forget to use their linemates from time to time just the same.

I'll see it before I believe it.

Note: If you'e comparing Berezin to Samsonov or P. Bure.... :lol:

Unthinkable
11-06-2003, 06:32 PM
I'll see it before I believe it.

Note: If you'e comparing Berezin to Samsonov or P. Bure.... :lol:

Nah, just saying I notice a lot of skilled russian players all falling victim to similar bad habits is all.

Jag68Sid87
11-06-2003, 07:01 PM
For the record,
Berezin has barely seen any time at RW in his career, he's clearly a LW through and through.

I could see a Berezin-Larionov-Brylin line working in NJ.

Unthinkable
11-06-2003, 07:35 PM
For the record,
Berezin has barely seen any time at RW in his career, he's clearly a LW through and through.

I could see a Berezin-Larionov-Brylin line working in NJ.

Thats a line a few of us have envisioned here. Larionov has to stay healthy though and thats an issue which hopefully won't be one we're talking about all season long.

Missionhockey
11-06-2003, 07:35 PM
I'd rather just call up Suglobov. Both seem to be puck hogs and like to shoot the puck. At least Suglobov would come with in the organization at a cheaper price.

Tbg1515
11-06-2003, 07:51 PM
I would love to see Berezin-Larionov-Brylin

All are ruskies, and problably have played togther in some russian league, but Igor would get plenty of assists setting up Berezin......Could be the finisher we need

GentlemanOfLeisure
11-07-2003, 04:15 AM
Plus, I want a Devil to wear No. 95. It would look cool.

If he signes here we have the #95 skirt waiting for him.

matty95-00-03
11-07-2003, 10:49 AM
I have always liked Berezin although I have really only seen him play against the Devs and it seems he excels against them. No doubt he is an upgrade from Rasmussen. He has great speed. I do not know about him being soft but then again Mogilny was no warrior either and he fit well.

4check22
11-07-2003, 02:04 PM
I have always liked Berezin although I have really only seen him play against the Devs and it seems he excels against them. No doubt he is an upgrade from Rasmussen. He has great speed. I do not know about him being soft but then again Mogilny was no warrior either and he fit well.

What does Rasmussen have to do with Berezin? Rasmussen was brought in to do exactly what he is doing -- forechecking with the big boys. Erik has played good hockey on a good line. Berezin and Rasmussen have nothing to do with each other.

MattNJD
11-07-2003, 02:47 PM
If he signes here we have the #95 skirt waiting for him.

Berezin wears #94

Brodeur
11-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Latest Everson article says we're out of the chase for Berezin. Yee haw.

4check22
11-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Latest Everson article says we're out of the chase for Berezin. Yee haw.

That is why we never trust Neverson. He has no clue. Ever.

JimEIV
11-19-2003, 10:47 AM
The guy is a crackpot