New Blackout Rules

BigBully4
11-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Just to let you know, it's not a reception problem. As of this season, all games that are on TWO different stations can only be viewed if you have a DirecTV (or Cable) "Center Ice" package. So, last night, the game appeared on Fox Sports Bay Area (which was on the Center Ice package) and Fox Sports New York. With the new regulations in effect, all viewers who ONLY have FSNY were blacked out. To see the game, you must have Center Ice tuned to the FSNY broadcast. Now, if the game was not broadcast on Center Ice, then you would receive the game on your regular FSNY feed, which is all good.

Yes, these new rules suck, but they are fact. Also, the reason why you received the broadcast from the first couple of games on FSNY was because they were offering the Center Ice free preview.

A scam bigger than cotton candy.

Devil Boy
11-06-2003, 07:39 AM
I just got off the phone with cablevision, and they inform me that it was THE DEVILS who have blacked out the game due the my proximity to the CAA! If The Devils are behind this, what will they gain by such actions.:dunno:
Do they think the arena will sell out due to the blackout? :confused:
If this is the DEVILS doing, they are only going to alienate more of their fans. BTW, if I have to pay for HNL Ceter-Ice it will cost me an additional $159.00 for the season. That being said Cablevision, HNL Center-Ice, and THE WHOLE NJ DEVILS ORGANAZATION CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!! :madfire::madfire::madfire:

DevilFisch
11-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Just to let you know, it's not a reception problem. As of this season, all games that are on TWO different stations can only be viewed if you have a DirecTV (or Cable) "Center Ice" package. So, last night, the game appeared on Fox Sports Bay Area (which was on the Center Ice package) and Fox Sports New York. With the new regulations in effect, all viewers who ONLY have FSNY were blacked out. To see the game, you must have Center Ice tuned to the FSNY broadcast. Now, if the game was not broadcast on Center Ice, then you would receive the game on your regular FSNY feed, which is all good.

Yes, these new rules suck, but they are fact. Also, the reason why you received the broadcast from the first couple of games on FSNY was because they were offering the Center Ice free preview.

A scam bigger than cotton candy.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why the hell would ANYONE do this? Hasn't anyone learned ANYTHING from the Wirtzhawks?!? BLACKING OUT GAMES = NOT GOOD.

Unthinkable
11-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Some of the local Devils regulars over in the NJ Devils usenet newsgroup said it was a mistake by their providers (DirecTV) and fixed after a period or so. Sometimes these things happen when they shouldn't. I know the beginning of an early Bruins game was blacked out here in Boston when ESPN was covering it for a period or so as well this season before the providers were deluged with angry callers demanding the game be turned on.

BigBully4
11-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Some of the local Devils regulars over in the NJ Devils usenet newsgroup said it was a mistake by their providers (DirecTV) and fixed after a period or so. Sometimes these things happen when they shouldn't. I know the beginning of an early Bruins game was blacked out here in Boston when ESPN was covering it for a period or so as well this season before the providers were deluged with angry callers demanding the game be turned on.

Mine wasn't fixed at all. If the guy on the DirecTV line suckered me into buying the package, then I'm pissed. If it was just a mistake and he lied to me, then I'm going to cancel my satellite service altogether.

Unthinkable
11-06-2003, 09:51 AM
This is the thread I saw over on usenet regarding the blackout:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3FAA9829.7C16FD51%40declawed.com&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dalt.sports.hockey.nhl.nj-devils

Impossibles
11-06-2003, 10:57 AM
I just got off the phone with cablevision, and they inform me that it was THE DEVILS who have blacked out the game due the my proximity to the CAA! If The Devils are behind this, what will they gain by such actions.:dunno:
Do they think the arena will sell out due to the blackout? :confused:
If this is the DEVILS doing, they are only going to alienate more of their fans. BTW, if I have to pay for HNL Ceter-Ice it will cost me an additional $159.00 for the season. That being said Cablevision, HNL Center-Ice, and THE WHOLE NJ DEVILS ORGANAZATION CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!! :madfire::madfire::madfire:

The thought is that if the games aren't on TV, then more people will go to games.

Maybe if New Jersey fans actually supported their team during the regular season, they wouldn't have to do this.

I mean 14,000 average attendance?

I guess the trap doesn't solve all problems.

jerseydevil
11-06-2003, 11:06 AM
You guys are wrong.....it had nothing to do with the Devils....it was a mistake and the Devils and the NHL said it...I think the word is "overreacting". It was in this morning's papers.

Devil Boy
11-06-2003, 11:53 AM
You guys are wrong.....it had nothing to do with the Devils....it was a mistake and the Devils and the NHL said it...I think the word is "overreacting". It was in this morning's papers.
Can someone please give me the link to those newspapers? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

NJDevs430
11-06-2003, 11:57 AM
I guess the trap doesn't solve all problems.
The trap that The Wild plays sure solved the Canucks last year...
}:-(>

MattNJD
11-06-2003, 12:31 PM
http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/106810167590300.xml

Here's the link, scroll down to the bottom. No one seems to know why it was blacked out, not the Devils or the NHL. It was on center ice last night, i saw it on Comcast digital cable.

Unthinkable
11-06-2003, 02:51 PM
The trap that The Wild plays sure solved the Canucks last year...
}:-(>
:joker: Nice work!!!!

Everyone loves to immediatly blame the teams style for its attendance problems. Its the classic knee jerk reaction from fans that aren't all that familiar with the real issues at heart which NewarkDevil has covered in detail both here and elsewhere time and time again.

DevilFisch
11-06-2003, 04:00 PM
OK, I'm a bit more calmed down about this. OK, very much so. Anyway, if it is a mistake, then fine. Hopefully DirectTV won't do it again.