Biggest Fanstasy Baseball Surprises and Busts so far

Bruinaholic
06-17-2006, 09:34 AM
For me the busts are
Jake Peavy- in 4 leagues i drafted him in the first round or early 2nd 3x, the K's are there but 4-7 w/ an era near 5 is depressing

Adrian Beltre- i thought for sure hed have a big rebound year 30hrs 100rbi but hes sucked and i waived him about a month ago....i did pick him late thought which makes me feel better(13th-16th rounds)

F.Cordero-i didnt draft him at all this year but i rember being PO'd when missing him by a pick or 2....era over 5.00 and blew more then half his saves before losing the job to Otsuka

B.Sheets/M.Prior- Couple aces that i saw often go in the 3-5th rounds that have done nothing this year(prior no starts,Sheets an era over 6.00 in 20ip)

J.Peralta- looked to be a stud last year but .239 6hrs and getting waived in every league im in

Surprises

M.Lowell- left for dead, but is hitting near .320 and 7hrs are almost what he had all of last year(top 5 in doubles which is key if this stat is counted)

F.Liriano- for those that were patient(unlike me) this guy is 6-1 2.20era 67k/58ip :bow:

A.Rios-great #'s so far, was overlooked with all the aquistions TO made .335 15hr 49rbi 9SB

M.Holliday- .340 13hr 48rbi 3SB

J.Dye- .299 19hr 49rbi 3SB

Gwyddbwyll
06-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I have Lowell on my team :)

Liriano isnt really a surprise and Rios / Halliday were known sleepers really. Jermaine Dye has been astonishing though. I was sure he would be a waste of a pick.

Peralta is really annoying especially since I traded Garciaparra for him. But he's started hitting in the last two games.. fingers crossed.

Manny Ramirez and Dontrelle Willis are two of my picks who have not been up to expectations. I didnt really want Willis but he fell to the 6th round and I couldnt pass at that stage.

Afino
06-17-2006, 11:53 AM
NOMAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I protected him last year in my keeper league for a reason....thankfully he's justified it. Some of the comments I got last year were pretty bad.

Busts: Sheffield/Matsui....I kept Nomah over BOTH of them, hence the cat calls. I had a BAD feeling about Sheff this year, so I didn't keep him, and I'm glad it made me look like a genius :)

Edonator
06-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Teixeira has been a huge disappointment. I ended up picking him in the first round and he's been really crappy. Weeks, Rollins, Millar, Miller, and Kemp have better numbers than him.

Bruinaholic
06-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Teixeira has been a huge disappointment. I ended up picking him in the first round and he's been really crappy. Weeks, Rollins, Millar, Miller, and Kemp have better numbers than him.

I overlooked Texiera...
I recently tried to aquire him for Todd Helton because im positive hes gonna go on a tear and still end up w/ 40hrs but no dice

Jiri Bicek
06-17-2006, 01:19 PM
NOMAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I protected him last year in my keeper league for a reason....thankfully he's justified it. Some of the comments I got last year were pretty bad.

Busts: Sheffield/Matsui....I kept Nomah over BOTH of them, hence the cat calls. I had a BAD feeling about Sheff this year, so I didn't keep him, and I'm glad it made me look like a genius :)

I'm always lookin for keeper leagues.. Where can i find one?

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
06-17-2006, 02:30 PM
I dropped Peralta a couple of weeks ago. I've been playing Han-Ram, who was a huge surprise, but now he's slumping. Keeping in Florida, Uggla was a lifesaver when Cantu went down. I've actually kept Uggla at 2b, and I'm using Cantu at 3rd, because of another bust: Aramis Ramirez. He hit well for like a week, and that's it.

The only closers I drafted were Isringhausen and Foulke. I've traded Izzy, and Foulke didn't even get a chance, so he's a bust. So, I guess my closers are all nice surprises: Putz, Otsuka, Saito, Coffey.

Ben Sheets was disappointing, and now he's not even playing. I epxected Penny and Schmidt to have good seasons, but they've been outstanding.

If Paterson keeps those SBs coming, and keeps the average up around .300, he'll remain a nice surprise.

Impossibles
06-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Tom Glavine was pure gold for me for a long time...I traded him just before his last couple lackluster starts.

Other than that, the rest of my team has somewhat under achieved and that's why I'm in 8th place in my 16 team league.

Kritty
06-18-2006, 10:50 AM

I wish you were in my leagues then. I'd gladly give you any one of those guys for Teixeira. He is far too good of a hitter for his power numbers to stay where they are. You can bet he will bring those up considerably. It's not like he's been poor, he's hit for a good average but just hasn't had the power yet. Just wait, he will.

As for Aramis Ramirez, he's another guy I wouldn't be getting rid of anytime soon. He has continued to put together multi-hit games and his swing is really starting to come around. With the addition of Nevin and the return or Derrek Lee not far away, he could really see a rise in his power numbers. He is a notorious slow starter so this shouldn't surprise anyone, yet he still finishes with 30+ homers, 100+ rbis and a plus .300 average.

Gwyddbwyll
06-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Peralta hitting again.. may want to pick him back up.

Patterson is definitely a big surprise, despite his sleeper status.

Another huge bust is Aubrey Huff.

barrytrotzsneck
06-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Jonathan Papelbon, Saito, Duaner Sanchez, Khalil Greene--all pleasant surprises.

I took Prior late, I really couldn't pass on him in the seventh round, so I wouldn't call it a bust. Plus, he's finally making his first start today.

barrytrotzsneck
06-18-2006, 01:05 PM
also, I picked up contreras off WAIVERS, which has been nice.

Oswalt has been a little disappointing for me, as well.

KH1
06-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Pleasant Surprises:

Francisco Liriano: Has been pure gold. I'm glad I waited on him considering the struggles of Peavy and Pettitte for my team.

Jonathan Papelbon: Amazing season. As a Yankee fan I don't love it, but it's really helped my team.

Brian Fuentes: Surprisingly solid numbers (2.28 ERA, 36K, 14 saves) have covered up the repeated loss of Gagne for my team.

Ben Broussard: Hitting .337 with 9 homeruns and 33 RBI/Runs scored he's a guy who's gone deep under the radar and may even be available in some leagues.

Jose Contreras: As a guy who watched him in the Bronx for so long, I can tell you that there's no logical explanation for Contreras' explosion. Until this season he was just plain mediocre, but I won't complain as long as he keeps his numbers up.

Dissapointments:

Jason Varitek: I've always hated Fairytek and considering that he's not on my team I've been thrilled to see his offensive number collapse. He's had a resurgence in June and his average is up to .270 after hanging around .230 for most of the season, but you still have to expect more from him. The real question is why is he the starter on the all-star team???

Andy Pettitte/Jake Peavy: My 2 supposed aces have both had incredibly mediocre seasons. Hopefully Roger Clemens' return will have a positive impact on Pettitte--it always has in the past.

Randy Johnson: You'd have to expect better from him. Without Mussina there he would've singlehandedly driven the Yankees out of the playoff race.

Cliff Lee: Lee won some 18 games last season and this year can't do anything. Too bad, I thought he was gonna have a great season.

Lupul*
06-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Pleasant Surprises:

Francisco Liriano: Has been pure gold. I'm glad I waited on him considering the struggles of Peavy and Pettitte for my team.

Jonathan Papelbon: Amazing season. As a Yankee fan I don't love it, but it's really helped my team.

Brian Fuentes: Surprisingly solid numbers (2.28 ERA, 36K, 14 saves) have covered up the repeated loss of Gagne for my team.

Ben Broussard: Hitting .337 with 9 homeruns and 33 RBI/Runs scored he's a guy who's gone deep under the radar and may even be available in some leagues.

Jose Contreras: As a guy who watched him in the Bronx for so long, I can tell you that there's no logical explanation for Contreras' explosion. Until this season he was just plain mediocre, but I won't complain as long as he keeps his numbers up.

Dissapointments:

Jason Varitek: I've always hated Fairytek and considering that he's not on my team I've been thrilled to see his offensive number collapse. He's had a resurgence in June and his average is up to .270 after hanging around .230 for most of the season, but you still have to expect more from him. The real question is why is he the starter on the all-star team???

Andy Pettitte/Jake Peavy: My 2 supposed aces have both had incredibly mediocre seasons. Hopefully Roger Clemens' return will have a positive impact on Pettitte--it always has in the past.

Randy Johnson: You'd have to expect better from him. Without Mussina there he would've singlehandedly driven the Yankees out of the playoff race.

Cliff Lee: Lee won some 18 games last season and this year can't do anything. Too bad, I thought he was gonna have a great season.
I help my friend all the time. He is in a league with people that don't know much. I got him Liarano and for some no one had bonderman :eek:. I stuck with Morneau even through his bad season last year and drafted him in one of the last rounds and he has been great for me.

BuppY
06-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Alex Rios

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
06-18-2006, 02:37 PM
As for Aramis Ramirez, he's another guy I wouldn't be getting rid of anytime soon. He has continued to put together multi-hit games and his swing is really starting to come around. With the addition of Nevin and the return or Derrek Lee not far away, he could really see a rise in his power numbers. He is a notorious slow starter so this shouldn't surprise anyone, yet he still finishes with 30+ homers, 100+ rbis and a plus .300 average.
Oh, I'm not dropping him. Just not playing him every day. He just hit another hr, so he may be gearing up for a streak.

Peralta hitting again.. may want to pick him back up.
3 games isn't enough to convince me.

Gwyddbwyll
06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
How about 4 :)

Anyway I have no real alternative on the WW.. was too slow to pick up Hanley.

Evil Speaker
06-28-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm glad I picked up Morneau off waivers

Afino
06-28-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm glad I picked up Morneau off waivers

I'm glad I DRAFTED Morneau as a backup.

He's outperforming my starter Teixiera right now. Thank God for utility slots.

Edonator
07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I know it's a little late, but does anyone know where to find a good keeper league?

Husky
07-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Gomes was good early on... until the shoulder, Morneau was a good waiver pick up and Webb was a pleasant surprise

ktownhockey
07-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Gomes was good early on... until the shoulder, Morneau was a good waiver pick up and Webb was a pleasant surprise

What's with the Ottawa West Golden Knights Logo lol I like it.

Nhlyounggun11
08-03-2006, 04:39 AM
Busts:help:
Eric Chavez - 90 GP, .236 BA, 77 H, 15 HRs, 50 RBIs
Jhonny Peralta - 103 GP, .256 BA, 10 HRs, 47 RBIs
Ben Sheets - 6 GP, 2-3, 4,58 ERA
Adrian Beltre - 106 GP, .262 BA, 10 HRs, 47 RBIs
Javy Lopez - 76 GP, .265 BA, 8 HRs, 31 RBIS, 60 Ks

Suprises:clap:
Jonathan Popelbon - 3-1, 0.50 ERA, 55 Ks, 29 SVs, .144 BAA
Jered Weaver - 8 GS, 7-0, 1.51 ERA, 0.86 WHIP
Francisco Liriano - 14 GS, 12-2, 1.96 ERA, 137 Ks, 0.96 WHIP, .192 BAA
Justin Verlander - 21 GS, 14-4, 2.79 ERA, 92 Ks, .239 BAA
Josh Johnson - 16 GS, 9-5, 2.52 ERA, 100 Ks, .222 BAA

Bruinaholic
08-03-2006, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=Nhlyounggun11;6200518]Busts:help:
Eric Chavez - 90 GP, .236 BA, 77 H, 15 HRs, 50 RBIs
Jhonny Peralta - 103 GP, .256 BA, 10 HRs, 47 RBIs
Ben Sheets - 6 GP, 2-3, 4,58 ERA
Adrian Beltre - 106 GP, .262 BA, 10 HRs, 47 RBIs
Javy Lopez - 76 GP, .265 BA, 8 HRs, 31 RBIS, 60 Ks

Jake Peavy 5-11 4.81era 139k
Andy Pettite 10-11 4.97 120k
Tim Hudson 8-9 5.25 87k
Turnbow 5.86era 1.56WHIP 24svs( 1.74era 1.08whip in 2005)
Lidge 5.66era 1.44whip 24svs (2.29era 1.15whip in 2005)

Sadly i own Peavy on 3 of 4 teams i have
Hudson on 3 of 4
Pettite on 2 of 4

Brodeur
08-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Josh Johnson - 16 GS, 9-5, 2.52 ERA, 100 Ks, .222 BAA

I have one free agent signing remaining and Johnson is available. Really don't have any knowledge about this kid. Any info I should know about him?

Nhlyounggun11
08-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I have one free agent signing remaining and Johnson is available. Really don't have any knowledge about this kid. Any info I should know about him?

Well he's a 22 year old righty that has a lot of promise. He's your best bet for your last free agent signing.

Brodeur
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Well he's a 22 year old righty that has a lot of promise. He's your best bet for your last free agent signing.

Hrm, getting lit up by the Dodgers isn't winning favor with me.....but here's a list of available guys. I probably need to use my last free agent signing now that Liriano looks DL bound:

Josh Johnson
Scott Olsen
Nate Robertson
Chien-Ming Wang
Jeff Francis
Gil Meche
Jason Jennings
Ted Lilly
Joe Saunders

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Pretty shallow league, huh? I'd take Johnson.

Nhlyounggun11
08-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Hrm, getting lit up by the Dodgers isn't winning favor with me.....but here's a list of available guys. I probably need to use my last free agent signing now that Liriano looks DL bound:

Josh Johnson
Scott Olsen
Nate Robertson
Chien-Ming Wang
Jeff Francis
Gil Meche
Jason Jennings
Ted Lilly
Joe Saunders

Oh you didn't tell me that all these guys were available. I'd take Chien-Ming Wang (leads the yankees in IP), scott olsen, or nate robertson

Bob Clarke Fan Club
08-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Oh you didn't tell me that all these guys were available. I'd take Chien-Ming Wang (leads the yankees in IP), scott olsen, or nate robertson

Everybody keeps waiting for him to blow up but Jennings has been solid as well. Nice to get a starter out of that division.:)

Brodeur
08-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Pretty shallow league, huh? I'd take Johnson.

9 team mixed league. Each team has 10 pitchers and either 2 or 3 more on the bench.

I have Harden and Wakefield on the DL. Hopefully one of those two can come back in a few weeks since I also have Turnbow contributing zilch now.

Pretty much between Johnson and Saunders. Can't change rosters until Sunday anyways, so probably will sign whoever has the better start this week.

I have a 12 point lead right now, so basically I think I'm good as long as I keep a full roster.

Bid $11 for Bill Hall in the beginning of the season hoping for steals. I'm loving the 24 HRs though! Frank Thomas for $1 is paying off well as is Jim Thome for $7. ARod for $37? Not so much. But better than my buddy who paid $30 for Javier Vazquez (he was in a bidding war with me, luckily I lost).

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
08-25-2006, 09:30 PM
I'd like to say Jorge Cantu has been a huge bust. Missed a ton of time with an injury, hit well for like a week, and has been total suckage since. My platoon of Uggla and Freddy Sanchez has been far more productive.

Brodeur
09-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I heart Frank Thomas.