06-30-2006, 11:16 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=170150&hubname=

TJ Ford for Charlie. V

Hawkalyzer
06-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Good trade for both sides.

Jaysfanatic*
06-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Man Im going to miss CV, he was something else. Welcome to Toronto TJ Ford.

Cayouche5
07-01-2006, 12:07 AM
so with all the trades/draft, what will the Raptors line-up look this year, do you think they compete ?

Mathletic
07-01-2006, 12:28 AM
IMO they should compete but they're still at least 1 big time player away from being for real and a few bench players as well

I love the trade and hate it ... love to see Ford coming, hate to see Charlie go. I was one of the few who more than welcomed his arrival at last year's draft, so it sucks that with that superb season he has to go ... anyway, that's basketball and everybody has to move at some point in their career

Gibsons Finest
07-01-2006, 01:19 AM
I hate to se CV go, especially after they just picked up his option and at the draft he said "If it was up to me, I'd spend my entire career in Toronto". But, this is a great deal for the Raptors IMO. TJ Ford is something they needed, whereas CV was sort of expendable. Ford is a bit injury-prone, but who blames him for missing those 10 games last season after coming back from his injury? Ford will bring a passing game much needed for the Raptors, and it frees up the cash to go out and get a free agent. I don't know, however, why Milwaukee made this trade. They do need a 4, but CV seemed to do alot better at the 3, where they're kind of stacked. CV might do well at the 4 in Milwaukee, but I'm not so sure. And the loss of Ford IMO will really, really hurt them, as guys like Redd and Simmons will have to become much better playmakers now that Ford is gone and Maurice Williams is likely in.

I now see BC going after Peja Stojakovic to replace CV at the 3 short term. Peja IMO would fit in very well, and I think he'd fit in well in a multi-cultural city like T-O. If he could pull it off, I think the Raptors could do very well next year, and probably much better after that, where they'll probably end up signing Toronto native Jamaal Magloire(if they don't trade for him first, as he seems more than done in Milwaukee). If BC can sign Peja, this is what their line-up would look like:

C-Nesterovic
PF-Bosh
SF-Stojakovic
SG-Peterson
PG-Ford

With Bargnani, Garbajosa, Graham, Humphries, Tucker, Sow, Calderon and maybe Alvin Williams on the bench(if he ever heals). Not bad, I say.

London Knights
07-01-2006, 02:00 AM
There is no reason that they can't be a playoff team in the East but they aren't a contender yet. They lose their draft pick next year (from the Grunwald Lamond Murray trade with Cleveland although Cleveland traded that pick away) anyway so they might as well try and finish as best as they can to imrprove their free agency standing next offseason.

kruezer
07-01-2006, 02:01 AM
Definetaly sucks to lose Charlie V, but I think Bargnani will become just as good a player, just maybe not that quickly.

Interesting couple of trades and draft for the Raps lately.

Does anybody know if this is the last year of Rasho's contract? It seems a lot like he could just be a placeholder for a year so the Raps can make a run at Magloire next summer.

Either way, they should have a half decent lineup this year, still not quite playoff material unless they do sign a guy like Stojakovic, but I think they may just wait things out and try and bring Bargnani and Graham along at the SF position, then grab Magloire next summer and make a push for the playoffs.

They really needed a legitimate point gaurd though, and Ford is definetaly one of the best young PGs in the game, Colangelo recognized the importance of the PG, of course.

Skylab
07-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Does anybody know if this is the last year of Rasho's contract?

He's got three years left

Tuggy
07-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Good trade by BC. We weren't going to get a very good point guard by trading the likes of Alvin Williams. Ford is EXACTLY what this team needs and honestly CV was redundant in the lineup. I'll miss Charlie but I think the Raptors are a better team after this deal.

Greek_physique
07-01-2006, 09:30 AM
It gives us more speed, and allows us to move Mo Pete back to SF.

I like it :thumbu:

Mathletic
07-01-2006, 11:06 AM
btw will the Raptors use Bargnani as C or as PF ?

Greek_physique
07-01-2006, 11:29 AM

My guess is SF.
He's a got a sweet shot, and we have Bosh/Nesto set in the PF/Center position.

They will try him out at those other 2 positions later in the year.

SpeakerForTheDead
07-01-2006, 02:17 PM
He will likely be the backup C/PF/SF. I don't see him starting until close to the end of the season or even into next season.

Skylab
07-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I like the trade from the Raptor's perspective and like BC said you've got to give to get. the only thing i'm not a huge fan of is that Ford is much closer to done his rookie contract than CV.

PACaptain
07-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Colangelo is trying to build the Raptors like he built the Suns. TJ Ford playing the role of Steve Nash and distributing the balll to shooters like Bargnani, etc.

Stars-Preds
07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Collangelo is a great GM and I'm sure you guys feel lucky to have him in Toronto. I like the Ford trade. You generally don't have to trade big for small but Ford is a better point guard than anyone you could have drafted or signed as a free agent. I like the move for Toronto.

Cerebral
07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I absolutely love this trade as a Raptors fan. Villanueva is simply terrible on defence and he's never met a shot that he doesn't like. The kid just doesn't pass the ball and I've simply never been a fan of him. Likewise, the Raptors have a solid set of guys in Bargnani, Bosh and Garbajosa to play at the 4 spot. I personally like Graham at the three spot for now and I see him developing into a solid defender and offensive contributor from that position (think Eric Williams in his prime).

This starting lineup looks good to me to start the year:

Ford
Peterson
Graham
Bosh
Nesterovich

Add in a solid bench for once and I think the Raptors will have a far better season this year. Ford can't shoot a lick but he's a great penetrator and he passes the ball extremely well. Toronto will look great next year!

Jaysfanatic*
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I absolutely love this trade as a Raptors fan. Villanueva is simply terrible on defence and he's never met a shot that he doesn't like. The kid just doesn't pass the ball and I've simply never been a fan of him. Likewise, the Raptors have a solid set of guys in Bargnani, Bosh and Garbajosa to play at the 4 spot. I personally like Graham at the three spot for now and I see him developing into a solid defender and offensive contributor from that position (think Eric Williams in his prime).

This starting lineup looks good to me to start the year:

Ford
Peterson
Graham
Bosh
Nesterovich

Add in a solid bench for once and I think the Raptors will have a far better season this year. Ford can't shoot a lick but he's a great penetrator and he passes the ball extremely well. Toronto will look great next year!

We need someone better than Graham at the 3.

Cerebral
07-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Agreed, he's more of a placeholder at this point. I can personally see Bargnani eventually sliding into that position though and that would leave the Raptors with a very long frontcourt full of matchup problems.

ATG
07-04-2006, 01:09 AM

I hear rumblings of Al Harrington

Jeffrey
07-04-2006, 03:44 AM

I have faith in BC but i have reserve ..
the raptors clearly need a SF or SG ..
and does anybody know when Mo pete contract is over? (they have to retain him)

Skylab
07-04-2006, 11:17 AM
I have faith in BC but i have reserve ..
the raptors clearly need a SF or SG ..
and does anybody know when Mo pete contract is over? (they have to retain him)

I believe it's up after this year

Jaysfanatic*
07-04-2006, 01:57 PM

Im not a big fan of Al Harrington I think he's a basketcase. We should have drafted Tayshaun in 02.

Cerebral
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
The Raptors have signed Garbajosa and rumour has it they're going to come to a contract agreement with Euro star Anthony Parker and possibly Eddie House. Call me crazy but I'm really excited about this year - Parker could be an absolute steal, he's put up some fantastic numbers in Europe and he has great size as well for a two-guard. I could see him possibly starting if things go well...

Ford
Parker
Peterson
Bosh
Nesterovich

That leaves a deeeep bench with guys like Calderon, Graham, possibly House, Humphries, Garbajosa and company. I like!

Tuggy
07-06-2006, 12:40 PM
The Raptors have signed Garbajosa and rumour has it they're going to come to a contract agreement with Euro star Anthony Parker and possibly Eddie House. Call me crazy but I'm really excited about this year - Parker could be an absolute steal, he's put up some fantastic numbers in Europe and he has great size as well for a two-guard. I could see him possibly starting if things go well...

Ford
Parker
Peterson
Bosh
Nesterovich

That leaves a deeeep bench with guys like Calderon, Graham, possibly House, Humphries, Garbajosa and company. I like!

Very solid looking team. Certainly a playoff contender.

Jaysfanatic*
07-06-2006, 02:32 PM

Ford
Parker
Peterson
Bosh
Nesterovich

No love for the #1 overall pick off the bench? LOL.

Cerebral
07-06-2006, 03:08 PM
No love for the #1 overall pick off the bench? LOL.
Erp... :D

I think Bargnani will start out getting about 15-20 minutes off the bench and I'm hoping that he will eventually get a few starts towards the end of the season.

Toronto's first summer league game is tonight so it will be our first chance to see how Bargnani plays in a Raptors uniform.

The Man in White
07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
I think the lineup is gonna be close to:

PG - Ford/Calderon/Barrett -->Pretty sure Ford will get most of the minutes.
SG - Peterson/Tucker -->Peterson played a hefty role last year and with no real backup, I expect that to continue
SF - Garbajosa/Graham/Humphries-->I dont know how good Garbajosa is so I can't judge him. I think Graham will get some minutes, maybe 15-20 a game.
PF - Bosh/Sow -->Bosh will be Bosh
C - Nesterovich/Bargnani -->I think these two will split the time, Bargnani might take over #1 by the end of the year if he plays well like Villenueva did last year.

Cerebral
07-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Bargnani put up 20 points today on 7/11 shooting in his first summer league game, this kid is a star in the making! He apparently blew by a few guys with his quick first step and he nailed two three points as well.

Tuggy
07-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Bargnani put up 20 points today on 7/11 shooting in his first summer league game, this kid is a star in the making! He apparently blew by a few guys with his quick first step and he nailed two three points as well.

Good stuff. The kid is going to be very good.