Keenan Fired!!!

CrossCheck
11-09-2003, 04:09 AM
Source : Salut Bonjour, TVA tv station in Quebec...

Clint
11-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Source : Salut Bonjour, TVA tv station in Quebec...

I've looked everywhere and can't find anything... for some odd reason I hope they're wrong.

Marc the Habs Fan
11-09-2003, 05:08 AM
well on the NHL board at HF the source being used is a radio station in TO..

Mephisto
11-09-2003, 05:13 AM
well on the NHL board at HF the source being used is a radio station in TO..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=59972

Panthers fire head coach Keenan

TSN.ca Staff

11/9/2003

The Florida Panthers have fired head coach Mike Keeenan. No replacement has been named as yet.

The Panthers were shut out by the St. Louis Blues Saturday night, dropping the team's season record to 5-8-2-0 through 15 games.

The Bowmanville, Ontario native has had his differences with general manager Rick Dudley since Keenan became the sixth head coach in franchise history in 2001.

Heading into this season, Keenan ranked fourth on the NHL's all-time coaching list in both games coached (1,207) and victories (579). He is first among all active NHL coaches in both wins and games coached.

After 17 years in the NHL, Keenan has had coaching stints with the Philadelphia Flyers, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers, St. Louis Blues, Vancouver Canucks, Boston Bruins and the Panthers. He guided the Rangers to the Stanley Cup in 1994, their first in over 50 years.

Clint
11-09-2003, 05:20 AM
BuffaloEd mentioned in the 'NHL talk' forum that Dudley will take over coaching duties.

Clint
11-09-2003, 05:27 AM
Now they're reporting the firing at ESPN.com

I am Jack's Fish
11-09-2003, 05:42 AM
Good to see Keenan get paid for the next 5 years to do nothing...

How do I get one of those gigs?

MoeHowardDavid
11-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Will Larry Robinson want to coach the Panthers? :confused:

Mogo
11-09-2003, 05:55 AM
Cohen idiot... gives him that loooooong contract... We need a coach who can work with these youngsters.. new blood.. no Dudley's friends... I think this was a good move.. Keenan just wasnt getting enough out of these players, next to nothing.. I think Jokinen was about the only1 who liked him.. We need a Bob Hartley type coach.. Larry Robinson?? Which he wanted to coach us..

wint
11-09-2003, 05:58 AM
From TSN

Whether it was Keenan getting a little harsher this week or the power struggle simply came to a head, Cohen apparently gave Dudley the freedom to make any move the GM saw fit. And that spelled the end for Keenan in Florida.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=59972

Looks like Cohen switched up the hierarchy, making the coach answer to the GM instead of to him. As soon as that happened, Dudley axed Keenan.

TheCarneth
11-09-2003, 06:01 AM
I just heard this 15 minutes ago on Sportscenter and wow...this really took me by surprise. If I had to predict one thing that will come next, it's that the Rangers will have a new coach shortly.

Desert Panther
11-09-2003, 06:13 AM
This is a bad idea in my opinion. They have no one that will take the job (except one of Dud's buds), and it finally looks like the team was beginning to get the message after the game against the Pens and the effort against the Blues. They were badly inconsistant, but experience will remedy that.

Heimy
11-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Keenan will be remembered by this Panthers fan as an overhyped windbag. Just 15 games in and he was reduced to blaming, complaining and explaining. Losses were because Florida is too young or because of poor refs crews. His reputation as a great motivator was belied by the constant underachievements of this Florida team. His brow-beating and intimidation proved to be of little value and likely did more damage than good. Keenan never took the blame himself for anything but I'll remember him as one of the worst bench managers in Panther history.

So long "too many men" Mike

Coolburn
11-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Holy crap...I didn't expect this so soon. I mean we all kinda knew that Keenan was on thin ice with the way the team was playing. But teams usually do assess everything after 15 games so I suppose this is what our plan is. I agree it doesn't make much sense to have him sitting at home getting paid for 5 yrs doing nothing. Maybe we could convince Slats to give Keenan another run up in NY so we don't have to pay his contract.

On his replacement, I know Larry Robinson is everyone's fav to come here but I think he's happy with his position with NJ. I know this sounds a little crazy and probably because he's not really a coach but what about Paul Laus. He was rumored to be an assistant coach and he's a leader. He's got 2 assistants to help him with the other stuff that he doesn't know. What FL needs right now is a guy that has made it to the Stanley Cup finals and can get these guys to believe they can get there too. I know its a crazy idea and probably not the best option but at this point, not much to lose and try it out. :dunno:

No matter what choice, we're taking a chance with any coach chosen whether it be Ludzik, Torchetti, or anyone else out there like Ted Nolan or the guy Heimy mentioned (the former MTL coach).

PUCKBOY99
11-09-2003, 09:52 AM
I mentioned Ted Nolan a while back....where is he & what's he doing?

Of course I would love to see Paul Laus in some function with the organization....Head coach, I'm not sure he's ready for that. Maybe ship him to San Antonio & bring that guy in. :dunno:

But as far as Keenan is concerned, it was a long time coming. Good riddance JERK !!!!

King of Stankonia
11-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Why don't you bring back Beezer? He'd be reeeeeaaaal popular with Anthony Stewart.

CatscratchFever
11-09-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm guessing your tag-line says it all......
<------- :shakehead

Crossbar
11-09-2003, 10:36 AM
I for one appreciate the job Keenan did on Jokinen and to a certain extent getting Kozlov on top of his game and staying healthy (life before and after Pavel was not looking good for Viktor), I bet Luongo probably threatened to be traded and Cohen then gave Dudley the go to axe Keenan but I hope Dudley replaces Keenan with a coach that teaches and actually coaches his own practices to improve the powerplay

Clash*
11-09-2003, 11:58 AM
To meet Rich's and Crossbar's requirements, how bout Bryan Trottier? Been to the Cup with NYI and Pit as a player and with Col as an assistant. He coached Col's powerplay when its most deadly, til this season. And he never got a chance in NY with the Rags. Might be worth a look, if not brought in possibly under Torch for the powerplay (if Torch gets it).

FlaPanthers7
11-09-2003, 12:54 PM
This was overdue. Keenan was not the right coach for this team. And the Panthers won't have too hard a time finding another coach. It's a young team with loads of talent, not to mention the other perks that come with South Florida!

Reasons to coach in Florida:
1) Bouwmeester
2) Luongo is already a star entering his prime
3) Bouwmeester!!!!!!
4) Good farm system with developing prospects (Krajicek, Stewart, Novak, Taticek, etc.)
5) You don't have to shovel snow...EVER AGAIN
6) Hot women in tank tops at the Office Depot Center! :handclap:
7) Blossoming stars in Jokinen, Weiss, Huselius & Horton

Reasons NOT to coach in Florida:
1) Cohen is a cheapskate
2) Florida fans are VERY fair weather (aka the arena is half empty, but this will be changed when the team starts winning!)
3) No more ICE CATS! :madfire:

I hope Cohen learned his first lesson about long term coaching contracts...Oh well, I'm still so glad Keenan is GONE! Adios amigo... :moon:

evildreams
11-09-2003, 02:00 PM
2) Luongo is already a star

other than his draft positioning and hype, what are you basing that on?

Clash*
11-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Why don't you learn to read. Not only on these boards, but just about every hockey site touts Luongo as a star and one of, if not the, top goalies in the NHL right now. Especially after his play in last years' World Championships. Go back to try and slander Fleury on the main boards. The rest of the HF boards are learning to not pay attention to you now.

FlaPanthers7
11-09-2003, 05:47 PM

This post doesn't warrant a response...unreal :shakehead

evildreams
11-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Why don't you learn to read. Not only on these boards, but just about every hockey site touts Luongo as a star and one of, if not the, top goalies in the NHL right now. Especially after his play in last years' World Championships. Go back to try and slander Fleury on the main boards. The rest of the HF boards are learning to not pay attention to you now.

dude, shut up with the attacking. first off, what percentile of goalies are stars (particularly out of the 30 starters)? i'd say each 1/6 is a different class of goalie. the true star goalies right now are only the top 6 (turco, brodeur, belfour, hasek, khabibulin, giguere). ****, luongo isn't even more accomplished than nabokov, vokoun, cechmanek, nurminen, dipietro, or lalime, or can you disprove that? please, tell me what luongo has done to solidify himself as a star? do be specific.

Coolburn
11-09-2003, 06:24 PM
dude, shut up with the attacking. first off, what percentile of goalies are stars (particularly out of the 30 starters)? i'd say each 1/6 is a different class of goalie. the true star goalies right now are only the top 6 (turco, brodeur, belfour, hasek, khabibulin, giguere). ****, luongo isn't even more accomplished than nabokov, vokoun, cechmanek, nurminen, dipietro, or lalime, or can you disprove that? please, tell me what luongo has done to solidify himself as a star? do be specific.Here's something to consider that guys like Brodeur, Hask, Giguere & even Roy never did: Luongo is the only active NHL goalie to record 14 shutouts before turning 24 (this was last yr before Roy retired). If you look at the teams he's played for (FL & NYI) and the defense in front of him, that speaks volumes about his star quality. And add to that he's consistently had SV% of around .918 (averaged over his previous 3 yrs with FL but this yr has around .932). This is pretty good considering the number of shots he faces every nite. Lalime should be consider with those other 6 guys you mentioned and should replace Belfour. Given that Hasek was retired for a yr and hasn't been fantastic this season, I don't think he's in the top 6 either. Giguere is trying to pull a Theodore with his performance thus far so he probably isn't in that top 6 either right now. The way DiPietro has played thus far this season, he should be in the top 6. Luongo should also take a spot in the top six even though his record doesn't show it. So the revised list of stars right now is Turco, Brodeur, Khabibulin, DiPietro, Lalime, Luongo.

Vlad The Impaler
11-09-2003, 08:20 PM
This was overdue. Keenan was not the right coach for this team. And the Panthers won't have too hard a time finding another coach. It's a young team with loads of talent,

Young teams full of talent can often be coach killers. The average life of a coach in the NHl is what? Between 2 and 3 years?

Solid, talented, proven core groups are what smart coaches are looking for in this league first and foremost. Of course, since the openings are few, they often have to take whatever is offered :D

Reasons to coach in Florida:
1) Bouwmeester
2) Luongo is already a star entering his prime
3) Bouwmeester!!!!!!
4) Good farm system with developing prospects (Krajicek, Stewart, Novak, Taticek, etc.)
5) You don't have to shovel snow...EVER AGAIN
6) Hot women in tank tops at the Office Depot Center! :handclap:
7) Blossoming stars in Jokinen, Weiss, Huselius & Horton

The farm system won't even factor more than 2% in the decision of any coach who knows how this works. They all know they better be at the right spot at the right time.

Few coaches EVER reap the rewards of their teachings. Few do with mature players and even fewer with babies like the Panthers.

Reasons NOT to coach in Florida:
1) Cohen is a cheapskate
2) Florida fans are VERY fair weather (aka the arena is half empty, but this will be changed when the team starts winning!)
3) No more ICE CATS! :madfire:

I hope Cohen learned his first lesson about long term coaching contracts...Oh well, I'm still so glad Keenan is GONE! Adios amigo... :moon:

Another incentive not to coach there: clueless GM who always aims for the bottom of the standings :p

The greater downside of taking the job in Florida is simply the on-ice product right now. Who gives a flying **** about the bright future when you know your job is on the line on a constant basis and you're paid to win or you will get canned?

That won't prevent the Panthers from finding a coach, though. There are just too few openings, even with the league up to 30 teams. Also, these are times of uncertainty and a lot of teams are simply not very competitive anyway.

Clash*
11-10-2003, 01:05 AM
dude, shut up with the attacking. first off, what percentile of goalies are stars (particularly out of the 30 starters)? i'd say each 1/6 is a different class of goalie. the true star goalies right now are only the top 6 (turco, brodeur, belfour, hasek, khabibulin, giguere). ****, luongo isn't even more accomplished than nabokov, vokoun, cechmanek, nurminen, dipietro, or lalime, or can you disprove that? please, tell me what luongo has done to solidify himself as a star? do be specific.
ED, you talk about Luongo not havin done anything. What has Turco really done past one solid year and a few games so far? He plays on a much better team, but still hasn't done anything to deserve star billing from you. Rich brought up the two things I would have said in regards to shutouts and the teams he plays on and the save % and GAA he still has. Problem here lies in you really don't kn ow what you're talkin about, as was demonstrated with your little two sidedness of Fleury on the main board.

evildreams
11-10-2003, 04:39 AM
Problem here lies in you really don't kn ow what you're talkin about, as was demonstrated with your little two sidedness of Fleury on the main board.

there you go again, ass, with your personal/non-fact based comments. total *****.

Buffaloed
11-10-2003, 05:44 AM
ClashCitiRockr and evildreams, if you don't knock it off with the personal attacks, I will have to ban you. You may attack opinions, NOT the person who states the opinion. That is the essence of debate. I'm not going to issue anymore warnings.

If you think Luongo isn't or is a star the accepted way to discuss it is to provide supporting evidence and discuss it. It's not acceptable to attack the other poster because you don't like his opinion.

It really doesn't belong in this thread anyway. If you want to discuss it, start a new thread, and treat each other with respect and courtesy.

Acadmus
11-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Meanwhile, in Keenanland...

We all know where he's going to land, don't we? I'm smelling a coaching change in the Big Apple.

patastrophe
11-10-2003, 11:30 PM
ED, you talk about Luongo not havin done anything. What has Turco really done past one solid year and a few games so far? He plays on a much better team, but still hasn't done anything to deserve star billing from you. Rich brought up the two things I would have said in regards to shutouts and the teams he plays on and the save % and GAA he still has. Problem here lies in you really don't kn ow what you're talkin about, as was demonstrated with your little two sidedness of Fleury on the main board.

all the personal garbage aside...amen to the turco comment-he's absolutely killin one of my fantasy teams.