Who should replace Keenan?

wint
11-09-2003, 05:49 AM
Dudley is taking over as interim coach. But assuming he steps down after the Panthers conduct a coach search, who should be behind the bench?

My pick: Larry Robinson. Hall of fame defenseman who coached Jersey to a cup. He's considered one of the best "teaching coaches" in the game. He turned down the Rangers job because he was looking for a good atmosphere. He'll get the chance to work with great young defensemen here in Bouwmeester, Krajicek, Mezei, Van Ryn, Lilja and Novak. Seems like a perfect fit.

BRING IN LARRY!

Mogo
11-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Larry Robinson

Who Dudley will pick..

One of his friends: Steve Ludzik, John Tortonella ?

PanthersRule96
11-09-2003, 06:40 AM
Not Robinson, Torchetti because he is great with player development and familiar with the minor league players and the ones in the NHL so he knows how to use them.

randy1
11-09-2003, 06:46 AM
Kitchener Ranger coach Pete Deboer!!!

Lloyd Braun
11-09-2003, 06:56 AM
Not Robinson, Tortorella because he is great with player development and familiar with the minor league players and the ones in the NHL so he knows how to use them.

Tortorella is under contract with Tampa Bay. Do you mean Torchetti?

evildreams
11-09-2003, 07:08 AM
jack mckeon!

Mogo
11-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Tortorella is under contract with Tampa Bay. Do you mean Torchetti?

Yes, my bad.. always mix up those two for some reason

m2k2p
11-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Ted Nolan

Crossbar
11-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Article on Larry Robinson

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0626/1573126.html

"Robinson said he's interested in coaching in the NHL, but would prefer a younger team rather than a team composed mainly of veterans, like the Rangers. "I just didn't feel comfortable going there,'' Robinson said. "I enjoy teaching. I don't know if you can always teach old dogs new tricks, it was more of a gut feeling than anything else."

Remax
11-09-2003, 08:27 AM
I think that Ted Nolan would be the smart choice. Great coach who took a nobody sabers team way farther than they should have go to the cup finals. Was named coach of the year and was then fired because he didn't put up with Hasek's complaining. I also think that Peter DeBoer would be great, not only because that would give the Panthers two people from Dunnville on their club, but I have also had him as an instructor in hockey school and he got along great with all of the players and really knew what he was talking about.

m2k2p
11-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Article on Larry Robinson

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0626/1573126.html

"Robinson said he's interested in coaching in the NHL, but would prefer a younger team rather than a team composed mainly of veterans, like the Rangers. "I just didn't feel comfortable going there,'' Robinson said. "I enjoy teaching. I don't know if you can always teach old dogs new tricks, it was more of a gut feeling than anything else."

Robinson would be a great choice as well, especially at teaching our young Defense.

Preds
11-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Jacques Demers :joker:

OpinionatedMike
11-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Simple Answer: Look at San Antonio

PUCKBOY99
11-09-2003, 09:57 AM
jack mckeon!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Or Dave Wannstedt...he should be out a job soon!!

Another vote for the guy in San Antonio!

or Ted Nolan

or Larry Robinson

or anyone but Mike Keenan!!! SEE YA', JERK!!!! :handclap:

King of Stankonia
11-09-2003, 09:58 AM
I think that Ted Nolan would be the smart choice. Great coach who took a nobody sabers team way farther than they should have go to the cup finals. Was named coach of the year and was then fired because he didn't put up with Hasek's complaining. I also think that Peter DeBoer would be great, not only because that would give the Panthers two people from Dunnville on their club, but I have also had him as an instructor in hockey school and he got along great with all of the players and really knew what he was talking about.

Oh stop it. Ted Nolan's name always comes up when coaches are fired, and he never gets hired. Please let him be.
Personally, I don't think that Peter DeBoer is going anywhere for the time being. He loves Kitchener and he loves his team. It would take a significantly incredible offer to get him out of Kitchener. I also don't think he'd be the type of guy to just leave his team in the middle of the season, especially his defending championship team.

evildreams
11-09-2003, 11:51 AM
constantine, anyone?

Clash*
11-09-2003, 11:52 AM
While Steve Ludzik has NHL experience and is doin a wonderful job in San Antonio, John "Torch" Torchetti did about as remarable job last year without the quality of prospects. No Nederost, Weiss, Taticek, Campbell, Krajicek, Goren, or McNeill. He had Dagenais, Tetarenko, Thompson, Campbell, Toms, and Morrisette to compliment Novak, Kolnik, Payer and not much else. He brought them, as an expansion team, to the AHL playoffs. While I'm a;so for Ludzik, give Torch a shot as well.

I am Jack's Fish
11-09-2003, 12:58 PM
While Steve Ludzik has NHL experience and is doin a wonderful job in San Antonio, John "Torch" Torchetti did about as remarable job last year without the quality of prospects. No Nederost, Weiss, Taticek, Campbell, Krajicek, Goren, or McNeill. He had Dagenais, Tetarenko, Thompson, Campbell, Toms, and Morrisette to compliment Novak, Kolnik, Payer and not much else. He brought them, as an expansion team, to the AHL playoffs. While I'm a;so for Ludzik, give Torch a shot as well.

Dont know Ludzik personally, but I will say that John Torchetti is simply a class act that has the experience and the mentality to be a coach and a teacher for this young panthers squad. Which means of course, he won't get the job.

FlaPanthers7
11-09-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm all about hiring from within, meaning Torchetti, but I wouldn't mind seeing Robinson either. This team needs a teaching coach, and right now Larry is the more proven at the NHL level. I love what Torch did with the Rampage though, and I wouldn't shake my head twice if he got the job.

I'm just so happy Keenan is OUT! :handclap:

GudVibransons
11-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Barry Melrose :handclap:

OpinionatedMike
11-09-2003, 01:24 PM
I was lucky enough to work fairly close with Steve. He is a fantastic guy. So very nice. I've also heard his ideas on the trap, and working the younger players, he won't take crap with anyone, he also likes the idea of the trap but feels it's beatable. I feel he'll be a very good head coach, but I'm not sure if Florida has the makeup of a team he'd suit.

Donga
11-09-2003, 04:11 PM
constantine, anyone?

I agree ED. Constantine is someone I wouldn't mine.

PanthersRule96
11-09-2003, 05:10 PM
A boring defensive oriented team is not the style and makeup of this team. The panthers should be dynamic with scoring and let the defense and Roberto take care of the rest. Huselius IMO will lead the team in points this year and I think he will break out big time with Mike gone. Huselius's best hockey came right when he came in and I think that was under Sutter. He was like the rookie of the month and played great. He will be much better. You heard it first here.

RCGP
11-09-2003, 05:34 PM
I also vote for Kevin Constantine

MoeHowardDavid
11-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Someone should set up a poll.

pb1300
11-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Pang said that Dudley said today he has already called certain people for the job. I like Robbinson and Ludz, I just want someone to come in here and get this team going.

m2k2p
11-09-2003, 08:17 PM
According to sources, Dudley has contacted New Jersey and Tampa Bay for permission to speak with Devils consultant Larry Robinson and Lightning assistant coach Craig Ramsay. Robinson, who coached the Devils to the Stanley Cup in 2000, is the candidate the Panthers are most interested in.

Robinson, who could not be reached for comment, is intrigued by the Panthers, sources said. When he turned down the New York Rangers' coaching job in June, he said, "I enjoy teaching and working with young kids. A younger team would appeal to me most. So I'm going to remain with the Devils for this season unless an opportunity comes along that I think fits my personality and fits what I want to do, which is to teach and coach young kids."

Robinson, a Hall of Fame defenseman who lives near Tampa, is known as a players' coach and teacher, and the thought of teaching talented defensemen Jay Bouwmeester and Lukas Krajicek could appeal to him.

Dudley would only say, "Larry Robinson's a good man."

Whole article is here http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-panther10.1nov10,0,6106324.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

evildreams
11-09-2003, 09:15 PM
According to sources, Dudley has contacted New Jersey and Tampa Bay for permission to speak with Devils consultant Larry Robinson and Lightning assistant coach Craig Ramsay. Robinson, who coached the Devils to the Stanley Cup in 2000, is the candidate the Panthers are most interested in.

Robinson, who could not be reached for comment, is intrigued by the Panthers, sources said. When he turned down the New York Rangers' coaching job in June, he said, "I enjoy teaching and working with young kids. A younger team would appeal to me most. So I'm going to remain with the Devils for this season unless an opportunity comes along that I think fits my personality and fits what I want to do, which is to teach and coach young kids."

Robinson, a Hall of Fame defenseman who lives near Tampa, is known as a players' coach and teacher, and the thought of teaching talented defensemen Jay Bouwmeester and Lukas Krajicek could appeal to him.

Dudley would only say, "Larry Robinson's a good man."

Whole article is here http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-panther10.1nov10,0,6106324.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

crap; that excerpt has me too excited.

Clint
11-10-2003, 02:55 AM
I wouldn't mind Robinson at all. Just cuz he plays the trap doesn't mean we won't have scoring. He had guys like Elias, Sykora, Gomez, Brylin, Arnott, Holik, on his team putting up really good numbers... those players are not unsimilar (dissimilar?) to the some of the players we have here, if they were to ever realize their potential.

But hey, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Coolburn
11-10-2003, 03:27 AM
There's supposedly a list of potential candidates so we don't even know the other names on the list yet. But lets list the definites so far that should be expected to interview: Ludzik (he's got NHL experience and is doing well in San Antonio) Torchetti (he did well for San Antonio last yr) Robinson (he obviously would be an excellent teacher for our young team and thats what he wants to do) Ramsay (assistant for TB and Dudley knows him well)The rest of the potentials are not yet known so when the rumors starting coming in we can add them to the list. But the obvious other potentials that have been mentioned: Constantine (I gotta admit I liked the guy when he was coaching Pittsburgh) Nolan (he did win the Jack Adams but it seems like all the GMs/teams have blackballed him) Vigneault (as Heimy pointed out, he took a basically AHL team and took them to the playoffs...thats coaching) Ftorek (I'm not a huge fan of his but he might not be a bad choice) Trottier (Mr. PP would be a great help to FL's ineptness on the man-advantage)Those are the obvious guys with experience but I dunno who are the ones that we can't think of (yet) that have little NHL experience. Can anyone think of any others?

FlaPanthers7
11-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Excerpt from Sun-Sentinel:

Captain8
11-10-2003, 07:41 AM
constantine, anyone?

Way too uptight and conservative defensively for my liking. I would rather see the team aim higher as they rebuild (thinking Sens, Nucks), not lower (Wild).

PantherboyHTR
11-10-2003, 10:27 AM
On the Sun-sentinal they have a poll, and Laviolette (ex-Islanders coach) is an option. I really don't think he would be that bad. He did a nice job with the Islanders, until they tuned him out.

Buffaloed
11-10-2003, 12:13 PM
You can be sure that Dudley will be looking for someone that's non-confrontational and doesn't lock horns with management. Dudley can't afford any problems with the next coach if he wants to keep his job. Craig Ramsay fits that description to a T. I can't imagine TB letting Ramsay go during the season without getting serious compensation. Another possibility who hasn't been mentioned is Don Lever who's an assistant with the Blues. He's well-liked, very knowledgeable and doesn't make waves.

m2k2p
11-10-2003, 12:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=kelley_jim&id=1658469

If Florida Panthers general manger Rick Dudley wants Tampa Bay Lightning associate coach Craig Ramsay to coach the Florida Panthers, he'll likely have to wait until the end of the season to get him.

Sources have told ESPN.com that Tampa Bay GM Jay Feaster won't allow Ramsay to leave the Lightning during the season. However, Ramsay's contract with the Lightning expires at the end of this season, if Dudley is willing to wait that long.

not surprising.

Captain8
11-10-2003, 12:25 PM
You can be sure that Dudley will be looking for someone that's non-confrontational and doesn't lock horns with management. Dudley can't afford any problems with the next coach if he wants to keep his job. Craig Ramsay fits that description to a T. I can't imagine TB letting Ramsay go during the season without getting serious compensation. Another possibility who hasn't been mentioned is Don Lever who's an assistant with the Blues. He's well-liked, very knowledgeable and doesn't make waves.

ESPN is already reoprting that Feaster has denied permission, although that may mean "denied permission in the absence of compensation."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=kelley_jim&id=1658469

As plausible as it may be for Dudley to remain behind the bench for the duration of this season, not making the easy choice by picking Ludzik or Torchetti perhaps implies that a candidate outside the organization is a viable option as well.

Flycoon*
11-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Dudley will hire a coach that fits the Euro figure skater profile. He prefers a non-physical style and loves the poke check defense. He will further emasculate the team and bring in more super sized pansies like Biron.

Ramsay fits the profile to a "t". Lack of physical play got him canned in Philly and brought him under fire in TB for promoting this style of play.

m2k2p
11-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Dudley will hire a coach that fits the Euro figure skater profile. He prefers a non-physical style and loves the poke check defense. He will further emasculate the team and bring in more super sized pansies like Biron.

Ramsay fits the profile to a "t". Lack of physical play got him canned in Philly and brought him under fire in TB for promoting this style of play.

:lol: I love assumptions they are always better than facts.

Captain8
11-10-2003, 01:26 PM

A healthy Lindros and LeClair may have solved that problem. Besides, getting canned by Clarke should be a badge of honor.

I'm not a Ramsay enthusiast by any means. But there is potentially a time and place for anyone who knows the game and can communicate with the players. Robinson (whom I like, although I do think he's overhyped) is a prime example.

Crossbar
11-10-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm all for Larry Robinson hes the right type of coach for this team but maybe Dudley is waiting to see how the situation in Ottawa turns up with Jacques Martin on the hot-seat? He sure as hell would make an excellent coach for us. This team needs to learn some sort of defensive system where they can help cut down the shots on Luongo/Shields but defense seems to always have been an enigma with the Panthers post-Doug Maclean era.

Flycoon*
11-10-2003, 06:03 PM
A healthy Lindros and LeClair may have solved that problem. Besides, getting canned by Clarke should be a badge of honor.

I'm not a Ramsay enthusiast by any means. But there is potentially a time and place for anyone who knows the game and can communicate with the players. Robinson (whom I like, although I do think he's overhyped) is a prime example.

Robinson would be a better fit for a veteran club, as would Ludzik. Neither are known as guys who develop young players. Torchetti might be the best fit for a few years.

Rattrick
11-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Robinson would be a better fit for a veteran club, as would Ludzik. Neither are known as guys who develop young players. Torchetti might be the best fit for a few years.

I think you are confused because Robinson said himself that he would be better fit coaching a young team and Ludzik coached in the OHL for a while.

Heimy
11-10-2003, 07:02 PM
I'm all for Larry Robinson hes the right type of coach for this team but maybe Dudley is waiting to see how the situation in Ottawa turns up with Jacques Martin on the hot-seat? He sure as hell would make an excellent coach for us. This team needs to learn some sort of defensive system where they can help cut down the shots on Luongo/Shields but defense seems to always have been an enigma with the Panthers post-Doug Maclean era.

Ya know I heard Martin was on the hot seat (on the deuce maybe?) but I just dismissed it as nonsense. I can't imagine him getting fired, either this early into the season or with the Sens over .500. If it were somehow true though, he'd be a great coach for this squad!

Coolburn
11-11-2003, 03:10 AM
There's supposedly a list of potential candidates so we don't even know the other names on the list yet. But lets list the definites so far that should be expected to interview: Ludzik (he's got NHL experience and is doing well in San Antonio) Torchetti (he did well for San Antonio last yr) Robinson (he obviously would be an excellent teacher for our young team and thats what he wants to do) Ramsay (assistant for TB and Dudley knows him well)The rest of the potentials are not yet known so when the rumors starting coming in we can add them to the list. But the obvious other potentials that have been mentioned: Constantine (I gotta admit I liked the guy when he was coaching Pittsburgh) Nolan (he did win the Jack Adams but it seems like all the GMs/teams have blackballed him) Vigneault (as Heimy pointed out, he took a basically AHL team and took them to the playoffs...thats coaching) Ftorek (I'm not a huge fan of his but he might not be a bad choice) Trottier (Mr. PP would be a great help to FL's ineptness on the man-advantage) Laviolette (former Isles & current Team USA coach; has a good system) Paddock (Binghampton coach who's team has been strong in the AHL thus far...I believe they are part of the Ottawa org so there's the Dudley connection)Those are the obvious guys with experience but I dunno who are the ones that we can't think of (yet) that have little NHL experience. Can anyone think of any others?The 2 additions to the list are basically ones discussed by the Sun-Sentinel in their poll. But according to one article in specific, "that a lot of people would like to coach this hockey team" according to Dudley.

For changes, see above list.

Like I said, this list is going to grow but its really the ones that we haven't heard about yet that makes it interesting....maybe we should have a separate thread for this and ask Heimy to Sticky it ;)

Source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/panthers/sfl-panther11nov11,0,2511437.story?coll=sfla-sports-panthers

Flycoon*
11-11-2003, 06:05 AM
I think you are confused because Robinson said himself that he would be better fit coaching a young team and Ludzik coached in the OHL for a while.

Robinson, maybe. But he is a laid back type of coach who may not do well teaching, he fits best with a veteran team that is already motivated and knows how to play.

Ludzik did nothing to teach the kids here in TB while he was here. He allowed Lecavalier to completely ignore defensive responsibilities which brought about subsequent problems when he was replaced with Tortorella. Other young players sat while stalwarts like Dan Kesa and Ian Herbers got ice time. But he ALWAYS looked sharp behind the bench. Just for the record, Ludzik had his biggest successes with the Detroit Vipers of the IHL with a veteran filled team.

Captain8
11-12-2003, 07:41 AM
One somewhat dubious development is Dudley's wish for the new hire to keep the current assistants. He comes off smallish in the Sun Sentinel. And yet, according, to McKenzie, he's serious about looking for a head coach outside the organization.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/panthers/sfl-panote12nov12,0,2401126.story?coll=sfla-sports-panthers

What's wrong with this picture? When Cohen hired Keenan, he basically sent the same message to the next GM...

Disco Volante
11-12-2003, 07:43 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again each and every time a team I like gets thru this : Mario Tremblay is the best coach available.

Minnesota would need compensation tho.

Clash*
11-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Sounds like Ramsey is the plan imo.

patastrophe
11-13-2003, 12:07 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again each and every time a team I like gets thru this : Mario Tremblay is the best coach available.

Minnesota would need compensation tho.

dude, your avatar is hilarious. :lol: