Something Different...OFFENSE AND FUN IN HOCKEY!

I am Jack's Fish
11-09-2003, 07:08 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/hockey/7220158.htm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-collhoop09nov09,0,7326290.story

MANATEES WIN SEASON OPENER
Defeat Macon Trax 10 to 6

Playing in front of a raucous 2,255 fans who braved the rough South Florida weather, the Miami Manatees came out strong in their first game of the season by defeating the Macon Trax in a wild game.

Making his professional hockey debut after playing 5 years at the University of Calgary, Manatees center Darren Cain wasted little time getting on the board, scoring his first professional goal at 38 seconds into the first period when he came out from behind the net and slid the puck past Macon goalie Geoff Faulkner.

The Manatees struck again at the 2:07 mark of the first period, when Todd Nowicki beat Faulkner from a Tom Perry pass. But Macon answered right back less than a minute later when Ryan Rivard scored his third goal in two games .

Jeff Antonovich put Macon down a man when he committed a hooking penalty, and big Oak Hewer was able to put away a rebound that trickled in front of Faulkner. Kevin Swider got the play started when he came from behind the net and threw the puck at Faulkner, who made the initial save , but lost track of the puck that rolled off his equipment.

But by the time the first period was over, Macon answered in a strong way by forcing the play to the Manatees and scored two goals from Craig Miller and John Gurskis by the 10:33 mark.

The Manatees scored four goals to Macon's one goal in the second period. Left wing Eric Perricone started the scoring off at the 4:54 mark, before Macon got their only goal of the second period as Bob Clouston found Edan Welch with a long pass as he came out of the penalty box and in alone on Manatees goaltender Sean Weaver, who he beat with a low shot to the glove side.

The elimination of the redline is taking some getting used to, but the long pass to Edan Welch reminded the Manatees that the lack of redline applies to them as well. 37 seconds after Welch scored, defenseman JF Picard found Perricone with a long pass up the middle. Perricone entered the Macon zone, drew his defenseman to him, and found Darren Cain as he streaked toward the net for the goal.

Perricone scored his second goal of the night from a heads-up pass from defenseman Dmitri Doulebenets, and Darren Cain scored his third goal for the hat-trick at the 14:35 mark of the second period.

Facing off in the only fight of the night, Darcy Johnson and Andrew Katzberg went toe to toe for a good amount of time, and both came away from the fight holding their own against each other.

The Manatees special teams play made an impact in the game, but it was the short-handed squad that made the difference in the third period. Killing off a Manatees penalty, center Todd Nowicki carried the puck and beat his defenseman with a move out wide, was able to go around and throw a puck at the net. Left wing Kevin Swider followed the play, grabbed up the rebound from the sprawling Macon goaltender Andy Kollar, and deposited the puck for the short-handed goal.

The Macon Trax put up a strong effort iin trying to get back into the game. When Manatee goalie Sean Weaver had his stick wedged in the boards when playing a puck behind the net, Trax captain Jeff Antonovich was able to corral the puck from a failed clearing attempt and scored the goal as Weaver was trying to get back in the net without his stick. The Trax got their second goal of the third from Steve Zoryk to make it a 2 goal game with 11:54 seconds left.

Injected with life from the two goals, the Macon Trax appeared to be close to getting back in the game when Hewer was sent to the box on a hooking penalty. But Ryan Kiley made a great effort as he took a pass from Kevin Swider in the neutral zone, crossed the blue-line into Macon territory covered strongly by one defenseman. Kiley let loose a slap shot that beat Kollar for the Manatees secong short handed goal of the period.

But it was the strong line made up of center Darren Cain, left wing Eric Perricone, and right wing Oak Hewer that finished the scoring for the night. At 17:37 in the third, Perricone scored his third goal and became the Manatees second player to score a hat-trick that night. By the end of the night, the three forwards alone amassed 13 total points.

Scoring Summary:

1st period

Manatees: Cain (Perricone, Hewer) :38
Manatees: Nowicki (Perry, Picard) 2:07
Trax: Rivard (Welch, Graupner) 3:04
Manatees: Hewer (Swider, Perricone) PP 5:01
Trax: Miller (Zoryk, Murphy) 10:05
Trax: Gurskis (Miller) 10:33

2nd Period

Manatees: Perricone (Doulebenets) 4:54
Trax: Welch (Clouston) 6:49
Manatees: Cain (Perricone, Picard) 7:26
Manatees: Perricone (Doulebenets) 13:43
Manatees: Cain (Doulebenets, Hewer) 14:35

3rd Period

Manatees: Swider (Nowicki) SH 2:32
Trax: Antonovich (Zoryk, Murphy) 7:44
Trax: Zoryk (Murphy, Antonovich) 8:06
Manatees: Kiley (Swider) SH 14:50
Manatees: Perricone (Hewer, Picard) 17:37

Penalty Summary:

1st Period

Trax: Antonovich, Hooking 3:18
Manatees: Nowicki, Hooking 6:44
Manatees: Cain, Hooking 8:00
Manatees: Cain, Holding 16:11

2nd Period

Trax: Howard, Tripping 8:45
Trax: Katzberg, Roughing 15:27
Manatees: Johnson, Roughing 15:27
Trax: Katzberg, Fighting 17:27
Manatees: Johnson, Fighting 17:27

3rd Period

Manatees: Picard, Holding :57
Manatees: Hewer, Holding the Stick 13:50

Power Plays:

Trax: 0 for 5
Manatees: 1 for 3, 2 short handed goals

Shots on Goal (by period):

Trax: 13, 7, 15: 35
Manatees: 16, 15, 17: 48

Goals by Period:

Trax: 3, 1, 2: 6
Manatees: 3, 4, 3: 10

Goalie Saves:

Trax:

Faulkner: 21 Saves (7 GA)
Kollar: 17 Saves (3 GA)

Manatees:

Weaver: 29 Saves (6 GA)

evildreams
11-09-2003, 07:21 AM
saw you working at the game, mark; you seemed pretty hard at work. hey, tell management that if irm.fm is to be paid for, it will make following the manatees on the road dificult and thus make fans (especially myself) less likely to support/follow the team. i was actually impressed at how hockey-focused and non-fighting focused the game was. Only 1 fight; bravo!. Some decent players in Perricone and Cain ('tees version of Kozlov/Jokinen). Frankly, I thought the goalies for Macon were both better , but the Trax D just absolutely let them get abused. Product was decent, but will have to acquire more nhl-pedigree players (i saw former kings G Goverde is playing in the league, which is nice); hopefully the lockout can do this (rake in some ahl'ers and 4th line nhlers).

I am Jack's Fish
11-09-2003, 09:53 AM
saw you working at the game, mark; you seemed pretty hard at work. hey, tell management that if irm.fm is to be paid for, it will make following the manatees on the road dificult and thus make fans (especially myself) less likely to support/follow the team. i was actually impressed at how hockey-focused and non-fighting focused the game was. Only 1 fight; bravo!. Some decent players in Perricone and Cain ('tees version of Kozlov/Jokinen). Frankly, I thought the goalies for Macon were both better , but the Trax D just absolutely let them get abused. Product was decent, but will have to acquire more nhl-pedigree players (i saw former kings G Goverde is playing in the league, which is nice); hopefully the lockout can do this (rake in some ahl'ers and 4th line nhlers).

Thanks for the even-handed reply ED, and even more thanks for coming out and checking the game out. Yeah, I was hard at work dealing with the confusion of an opening night and having to work around the kinks that pop up with that.

That was my first ever time doing play-by-play, and I have earned even more respect for the people that do that for a living (which I guess includes me now). I do agree with you for the most part on the IRN.FM thing, but apparently there are people who are willing to pay for the product, and I would think the die-hard fans might be willing to shell some dough to catch the road games. I think there are plans in the works to shortwave the broadcast inside the building, and I would definitely have to improve steadily on my broadcasting. But until revenue streams come in at other places, plans to have the broadcast as a pay option probably will continue.

As for the quality of play and the players. The Manatees have some decent players for that level, and I was not expecting Cain to come out like he did. The guy was playing Canadian college hockey last year, so I hope he can continue his work. Perricone has speed to spare, and all of the guys bust their humps each game (such a difference from what this town is used to). Funny thing is, there are other players on the team with more offensive upside, Kevin Swider especially...

I know Boyer is expecting more from the goaltending, and Macon's goalies did seem shell-shocked. But with no red-line, defense was at a premium last night. 16 goals....no time to get bored, that is for sure.

I do think that the level of play and talent will go up over time, especially if a strike occurs. Gonna be a wait and see on how that turns out.

But bottom line, for the entertainment dollar in this town, the product was quite good and the hockey in the first game was non-stop back and forth fun. I am sure some fighting will increase, and I was surprised that there was only one fight (albeit, a long drawn out fight).

But thanks for coming and checking it out, and for the student price of $5, it definitly is worth it.

missBeezer
11-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Mark I also enjoyed the evening, as I said on another board it was fun jumping up and screaming when the Manatees scored. Had fun, enjoyed the game, brought back some very good memories, and I am sure will attend some more games in the future that's for sure. :handclap: :handclap:

Also saw you working hard, hey deep down inside it has got to be fun. Oh I am sure it is also hard work, but fun at the same time. Most of us Hockey fans have pretended to do play by play at one time or another, at least I have and believe me I sucked at it.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND THE TEAM

Good to see Hockey come back to the arena.

I am Jack's Fish
11-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Mark I also enjoyed the evening, as I said on another board it was fun jumping up and screaming when the Manatees scored. Had fun, enjoyed the game, brought back some very good memories, and I am sure will attend some more games in the future that's for sure. :handclap: :handclap:

Also saw you working hard, hey deep down inside it has got to be fun. Oh I am sure it is also hard work, but fun at the same time. Most of us Hockey fans have pretended to do play by play at one time or another, at least I have and believe me I sucked at it.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND THE TEAM

Good to see Hockey come back to the arena.

Thanks SG!

Honestly, I am having a blast but I have never worked so hard in my life. Personally I know I have a lot of things to improve on, but that is exactly where people like Jiggs and Rimer got their starts...in leagues like this.

See you at thee games in the future, make a point of supporting the team and the players...at this level, they really do appreciate it!