Well, it's Monday...

11-10-2003, 06:25 AM
Barnett said over the weekend in the paper to watch for today involving some movement with the team, or that is how his words are being interpreted. Will we still see a move today with the injury to Bierk you think, or is it something larger than our goaltending that was at stake?

If Boucher or Burke were to no longer be a Coyote, either via trade or another route, we still could probably manage for a short time period with Pelletier as backup in the NHL until Bierk comes back, whenever that may be. Lenny might not be ready to assume the helm in Springy, but it might work for the short term.

Just curious what you guys thought.

Dancing Chicken
11-10-2003, 07:21 AM
I think Beirk getting hurt messed up the plans. I really thought on of our goalies plus Taffe was going to be moved for a Winger..

Morris Lukowich
11-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Bierk hurt or not, they need to ditch Boosh. The team has no trust in him and that is evident everytime they play in front of him. Its a chinese fire drill in front of his net as the D second guesses evrything he does.

Whether he deserves the rep or not his time here has been crappy the fans don't like him and well...nuff said about the teams response to the guy.

Besides 2 million = Starting goaltender.

Trade him and cut our losses and lets develop Pelletier he is atleast approaching Boucher's talent anyway so no big loss and he will probably take direction from other players better as he recognizes that he is developing goalie.

Boucher seems to think that he is better than that and his salary would seem to confirm that perception.

Oh well

11-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Just listened to KDUS AM 1060, and they said the Coyotes were going to have to wait a little bit now to resolve their goaltending issue with Bierk injured. They said it was involving Boucher where a move would be made within the organization. I'm undecided if they meant a buyout for Boucher, a trade, or sending him to the minors. Sounds like that was the big Monday announcement though.

Dancing Chicken
11-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Hmm, I thought it would be bigger.. I really do not think a trade is the answer to our pains.. Look at the talent we have on this team, Mike should let her gel.. Give it a real coach and let the team solve its own problems, out of adversity comes greatness..

Morris Lukowich
11-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Hopefully I am not starting anything by saying this but I am concerned at the lack of support for Francis lately.

It's not that I am a great fan of the cycle down low system but I certainly do buy into his defense first and take care of your own zone philosphy.

It's not like were seeing the Yotes execute a system night in and night out and that system is letting us down....

The Yotes have at times looked shell shocked. The goals against spike speaks for itself.

Certainly defense jumping into plays nets us a few extra goals but at what expense. So Mara scores in a 5-4 loss can we say it might have been a 3-2 win minus the defensive lapses? Francis seems to think so.

Its cool to see Suchy get one or two or four but its even cooler to see him shut the offense down completely when he executes. Period.

Anyways some here say give the team time to gel. I agree but ditch the coach? I disagree. The fact that he's the winninest coach in Jets/Yotes history is not a coincidence.

Some players are absolutely shining under this coaching staff (Nagy, Johnson, Langkow, Mara, Vossinen, etc, etc) some have chaffed. Thats hockey. To say this would have happened under any other coach is pure speculation or that another coach could have done better, same. It didn't happen.

Anyway :)

11-10-2003, 03:10 PM
I think the team is basically hanging Francis out to dry to a large degree like a team will do when it wants a new coach, whether they know it or not.

Francis is gone shorty after the new arena if they don't have a winning record.

Dancing Chicken
11-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Ahh, dont worry about it Morris.. I am a long time Booby hater but I always like to hear other peoples views thats why I come to these places.. I just feel like this team has quit listening to him but that only my tought based on my opions, its just luck that I am right ;) J/K

CoyoteBaloney
11-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I think the team is basically hanging Francis out to dry to a large degree like a team will do when it wants a new coach, whether they know it or not.

Francis is gone shorty after the new arena if they don't have a winning record.
If the management thought they put together a good group of players for this season and expect Francis to work miracles Francis is being hung out to dry this year. Frankly, I think Francis will guide this team back to the playoffs and be around afterwards.

Hoot
11-10-2003, 09:08 PM
If the management thought they put together a good group of players for this season and expect Francis to work miracles Francis is being hung out to dry this year. Frankly, I think Francis will guide this team back to the playoffs and be around afterwards.

Francis will have to find a hot goalie for that to happen.

c9orf
11-11-2003, 12:08 AM
Perhaps we've already seen what Francis was talking about?

*1st intermission in the Sunday Ducks-Yotes game, locker room conversation between Bierk and Francis*

Francis: Zach, you played a good period - they really came out strong! It's too bad about your hip flexor injury, though...

Bierk: Heh? What injury?

Francis: You know, the one you just suffered so we can put you on the IR and tweak the roster a bit?

Bierk: Oh... now that you mention it, I do feel a twinge...

11-11-2003, 04:02 AM
I didn't say Francis would definitely be gone, I'm just saying that if he doesn't find a way to turn around this team by then, he is in trouble.

He could easily turn it around and get us to the playoffs.

hbk
11-11-2003, 05:56 AM
after witnessing Bierk's statistically impressive performance in the first period where he stopped 16 of 17 shots I came away wondering if he has Roman Cechmanek disease. What is Roman Cechmanek disease? Well, its when you create second and third scoring chances by giving up big, fat juicy rebounds that lead to more shots on goal, more saves, and inflated statistics. Maybe I'm exaggerating but I've eaten at restaurants that didn't serve up something as juicy as the rebounds Bierk was giving. The injury might explain some things but I just can't imagine dealing Burke and going with Bierk as our number one guy. Pardon the pun but I think that may a recipe for disaster.

Bierk and Boucher are still question marks. LeNeveu is meeting expectations on the farm but he's not dominating. Pelletier has started to put some impressive outings together but his numbers don't impsire confidence. I know I've been a huge proponent of dealing Burke but now and then I realize how detrimental that move will be to this team. I can envision a scenario where his departure leads to the loss of this franchise (of course the CBA has something to do with that but fan apathy in the desert at more ten game losing streaks won't go over well) unless we receive assets that can contribute immediately (so my Ballard and a draft pick scenario likely won't work) and management can justify this type of trade to its season ticket holders.

I'm venting again. I just can't see Burke leaving. He just means too much to this franchise. His performance in relief of Bierk proved just that. Had Bierk stayed in net for the last two periods, I doubt we would have even been in a position to walk away with two points.

11-11-2003, 06:22 AM
From all accounts I've gathered, I think Boucher is gone via buyout as soon as Bierk is back in action. Burke & Bierk will finish out this year, and then after that it's anybody's guess as is the CBA situation. Burke says he still wants to play, and if he avoids injury this year, and has some time off during the CBA negotiations, he may be able to pull out another season in the new era.

The Boucher extension over the market rate and the notorious Savage extensions have both proven to be back breakers for our budgets.

I can't believe that we have essentially ended up Tkachuk & Esche for Nagy & Taffe and is it Callahan? It could have been worse...but it should have been better.

Gwyddbwyll
11-11-2003, 06:59 AM
The Tkachuk deal is looking better and better every day though.

Esche has no value at all in this goalie market.

Even if you write off Handzus.. Nagy and Taffe are probably two of the most valuable assets we have.. Nagy especially an absolute bargain at $1m. Guys like Tkachuk with their $10m salaries are more like elephants than assets.

I really think that was one impressive deal. If Boucher had turned out to be a No.1.. it would be even more one-sided.

ulf
11-11-2003, 07:25 AM
the tkchuk deal has always been one of the 2 that moved this franchise fwd

salaries not considered i would be inclined to take nagy over keith at this time.it worked out very well for both teams although we will get the better of the deal in the end
l
the johnson/mara deal was a steal for both teams.

11-11-2003, 09:03 AM
I'm not taking anything away from Taffe, but just look at how dominating the Ferraro's are in the AHL, yet that talent doesn't translate to the NHL at all as they have never stuck in the league. Taffe is a great prospect at this point for us, but we should remember that if he had truely earned his NHL roster spot, he'd have started the season here regardless. Spiller started the season in the NHL, so it's not like there wasn't an opening on the team, although you could say the departure of Simpson opened up his spot. The team could easily send Cleary down to make room for Taffe. Maybe we'll still see it come to be, but I think people are severely overrating Taffe just because he is the most oft spoken of prospect on here.

vsmith
11-11-2003, 10:59 PM
The management might as well try sending Boucher to Russia. Who knows, maybe there's someone in the Superleague willing to take his salary or at least the major part of it. Skudra's playing here, Labbe, Storr... I doubt very much Boucher's eager to play in - say - Metallurg Novokuznetsk but who cares :joker:

The Viking
11-12-2003, 09:28 AM
The management might as well try sending Boucher to Russia. Who knows, maybe there's someone in the Superleague willing to take his salary or at least the major part of it. Skudra's playing here, Labbe, Storr... I doubt very much Boucher's eager to play in - say - Metallurg Novokuznetsk but who cares :joker:

Storr is in Carolina. I believe he signed in Russia but must have had an out clause if he signed a deal in the NHL.

vsmith
11-12-2003, 09:33 AM
yeah, perhaps. they all must have an out clause cause right now the russian superleague is no way close in money aspect to the NHL.