Man I would love Wiemer on this team

funky
11-10-2003, 10:58 AM
if the rumors are true that NYI is trying to unload him.

Wiemer alone would solve one of the Kings fans biggest debates. That being team toughness.

I am against playing Brennan because he can due one thing and one thing only, fight. Now I do agree we need a tough guy to help protect our stars and Lappy tries, Avery tries but is more a pest then a fighter, then we really have no one that can take a regular shift and actually contribute while still protecting. Wiemer is 6'2 225 and plays a Lappy style game but hits harder and is a little bigger when dropping the gloves.

Wiemer has had a 31 point season and is only 27. He Hits, he fights, and more importantly he can play all three forward positions and on the 3rd line.

On the negative side he costs 1.6 mil a year and would cost a pick or a player like Avery(wouldn't shed a tear there)

I just think he would be a great fit on this team, just wondering about others opinions. Wish Taylor had the balls or managment would give him the okay to add about 1 mil to the payroll for a bigger badder Lappy.

Just my 2 cents

willie
11-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I'd like Weimer as well. We could put him in between Avery and Lappy and give Belanger a little more offensive linemates.

Lines could be:

Robitaille - Stumpel - Palffy
Deadmarsh - Allison/Armstrong/Cammalleri/Acquistion/ - Klatt
Frolov - Belanger - Brown
Avery - Wiemer - Laperriere

Actually, I really like the idea of Belanger centering the two youngsters. Frolov is very good defensively and Brown can hit so they could be an energy line of sorts but they also all have offensive upside.

funky
11-10-2003, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=willie]Yeah, I'd like Weimer as well. We could put him in between Avery and Lappy and give Belanger a little more offensive linemates.

I agree 100%, that would be a fun line to watch and if all three keep improving in a couple years that may even be a decent second scoring line.

swinginutter*
11-11-2003, 08:49 AM
if the rumors are true that NYI is trying to unload him.

Wiemer alone would solve one of the Kings fans biggest debates. That being team toughness.

I am against playing Brennan because he can due one thing and one thing only, fight. Now I do agree we need a tough guy to help protect our stars and Lappy tries, Avery tries but is more a pest then a fighter, then we really have no one that can take a regular shift and actually contribute while still protecting. Wiemer is 6'2 225 and plays a Lappy style game but hits harder and is a little bigger when dropping the gloves.

Wiemer has had a 31 point season and is only 27. He Hits, he fights, and more importantly he can play all three forward positions and on the 3rd line.

On the negative side he costs 1.6 mil a year and would cost a pick or a player like Avery(wouldn't shed a tear there)

I just think he would be a great fit on this team, just wondering about others opinions. Wish Taylor had the balls or managment would give him the okay to add about 1 mil to the payroll for a bigger badder Lappy.

Just my 2 cents

I'd also love it if we got him. He plays with balls, and adds major toughness. Actually he might only cost a draft pick, if the Isles put him on waivers, and his price tag is well worth it.
As far as the Brennan comments I disagree. He can skate in this league and thats most important. I can name other Kings players that just do that and add nothing else. Brennan is not here to score goals, it's to protect, but we've lost that concept over the past couple of years. Try checking out all other twnety nine teams in this league and their game time rosters. They're are twenty nine other Brennan's out there, but I don't see anyone complaining.

King Blazer
11-12-2003, 03:16 AM
Yeah, I'd like Weimer as well. We could put him in between Avery and Lappy and give Belanger a little more offensive linemates.

Lines could be:

Robitaille - Stumpel - Palffy
Deadmarsh - Allison/Armstrong/Cammalleri/Acquistion/ - Klatt
Frolov - Belanger - Brown
Avery - Wiemer - Laperriere

Actually, I really like the idea of Belanger centering the two youngsters. Frolov is very good defensively and Brown can hit so they could be an energy line of sorts but they also all have offensive upside.

I think Belanger centering Frolov and Brown could be an exciting combo, but I don't think DT will or should pay Wiemer 1.6-million to play on a 4th line. There are too many players in the system, (ie Kelly, Tripp, and yes even Barney as of late) that could fill a 4th line spot. I realize that none of the three I mentioned, have the NHL experience that Wiemer does, but I just don't see the need to spend 1.6 million on a 4th liner.

In the TSN article I read regarding the Wiemer situation, Millbury (sp) indicated that the Islanders had younger and cheaper players pushing for more ice time and I think it would be the same thing in LA. Sorry to disagree on Wiemer, but I'm passing on this one.

MOOSE55
11-12-2003, 03:46 AM
I'm up for anything that will bring a tough guy who will drop the club into the line-up on a regular basis.......I'm tired of players getting pushed around.

jfont
11-12-2003, 09:49 AM
this is really interesting...i think the kings are in a great situation to deal. they have salary room (due in large part to the salary insurance for allison) and plenty of prospects. i agree that avery is the likely candidate from the kings to go...avery and maybe lehoux (or steckel or a mid round pick)...

or, the kings might be thinking of sending the unpopular joe corvo to the isles...

StianM
11-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Wiemer has been put on waivers...

Wiemer on waivers (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20031111_160722_2032)

Mindcircus
11-13-2003, 03:26 PM
The Wild have claimed him.