What could the Sox get for Josh Beckett

Bruinaholic
07-14-2006, 09:04 PM
26 years old, throws 95-97mph w/ a sometimes filthy curve ball.
Hes being paid around 3.6$ this year, is arby eligible then will be a FA after next year.

Now im 95% sure the Red Sox wouldnt deal him, and this post is mostly out of anger after watching him get torched vs Oakland 2nite but hypothetically speaking what do you think or what would u offer from your team to aquire Josh Beckett.

I think(like most pitchers) Becket would be alot better off in the NL so i could see Houston,STL,NYM,Philly,ATL,SD and LA being interested in him.

Houston has Pettite and CLemens off the books for next year and Beckett is from that area.

STL was hard after AJ Burnett before he went to Toronto and Mulder will likely be gone after the season.

NYM have nobody after the aging Glavine and worn down Pedro(throw Pelfrey and someone and i see a deal)

Philly has money to spend and maybe could dangle G.Floyd and/or Cole Hamels in some kind of pitch

acr*
07-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Ribeiro, Souray, Bonk, and a 2nd rounder.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
07-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Allen Iverson.

Bruinaholic
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
2 guys that usually know there baseball and this is the kinda crap responses

Enoch
07-14-2006, 10:26 PM
The Sox can't move him because moving him would be akin to be sellers......and the people that would be interested would not give them starting pitching in return.

However, Beckett could be moved in the off-season......say to the Mets for Milledge? and a pitcher? I have no idea, but I said it once and I will say it again, Josh Beckett is the Red Sox Javier Vazquez. He is doing exactly what Vazquez did for the Yankees when he went to New York.

Bruinaholic
07-14-2006, 10:30 PM
The Sox can't move him because moving him would be akin to be sellers......and the people that would be interested would not give them starting pitching in return.

However, Beckett could be moved in the off-season......say to the Mets for Milledge? and a pitcher? I have no idea, but I said it once and I will say it again, Josh Beckett is the Red Sox Javier Vazquez. He is doing exactly what Vazquez did for the Yankees when he went to New York.

I agree to a point but Beckett is 3 years younger and definitly has better overall stuff...
But if in 2 years Beckett has been moved around a few times and is a .500 pitcher w/ a lower K rate then kudos to you

Enoch
07-14-2006, 10:34 PM
I agree to a point but Beckett is 3 years younger and definitly has better overall stuff...
But if in 2 years Beckett has been moved around a few times and is a .500 pitcher w/ a lower K rate then kudos to you

I agree with your points. My comparison is more to point out the inconsistency and tendency to give up the homerun ball. Beckett is extremely talented, and given the chocie of Vazquez or Beckett, I'm sure Josh is held in much higher regard. Stll, you can't deny the inconsistency, the souring of the fans torwards him, and the home-run tendency........its the exact same as Vazquez's situation from New York...

Bruinaholic
07-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I agree with your points. My comparison is more to point out the inconsistency and tendency to give up the homerun ball. Beckett is extremely talented, and given the chocie of Vazquez or Beckett, I'm sure Josh is held in much higher regard. Stll, you can't deny the inconsistency, the souring of the fans torwards him, and the home-run tendency........its the exact same as Vazquez's situation from New York...

Definitly great points...
Vazquez is a solid pitcher but if Beckett only turns out the be another Vazquez then it will be a huge dissapointment especailly considering how highly touted Hanley Ramirez was for like 3 years in the Sox system(he looks like hes gonna be a 20-40guy) and Anibal Sanchez could be a #2-3 starter

Hawkalyzer
07-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Javy Vasquez.

edit: I should read the thread first.

Bruinaholic
07-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Javy Vasquez.

edit: I should read the thread first.

Vazquez,Cotts and a prospect
For Beckett + Seanez or Tavarez?

Fish on The Sand
07-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Aaron Boone is available.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Money for exiling Tavarez, Seanez, and Francona

malfeasance
07-15-2006, 01:29 PM
2 guys that usually know there baseball and this is the kinda crap responses

Ask a stupid question, expect some stupid answers. You should know that. Now as for a "deal"

To Boston: Floyd + Abreu + minor leaguer

To Philly: Beckett + Crisp

Rowand then gets moved to the White Sox for another starter

Just an idea.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Ask a stupid question, expect some stupid answers. You should know that. Now as for a "deal"

Just an idea.

No. Just no.

Have you seen what's left on Bobby Abreu's contract?

malfeasance
07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
No. Just no.

Have you seen what's left on Bobby Abreu's contract?

Damn right, I have. That's why I want him the hell off the Phillies.

Hey, I didn't start the thread, I'm merely adding to its breach from reality.

Bruinaholic
07-15-2006, 10:13 PM

Just an idea.

If it was that stupid of a question then why are you even responding w/ a proposal:shakehead what a clown

Ar-too
07-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Adam Dunn.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Adam Dunn.

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

I'll give you Josh Beckett, Trot Nixon, a prospect, and pick up half their contracts for Adam Dunn and Ryan Freel.

Dr Love
07-16-2006, 12:24 PM
SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

I'll give you Josh Beckett, Trot Nixon, a prospect, and pick up half their contracts for Adam Dunn and Ryan Freel.

Don't forget Dunn's recliner!

Son of Steinbrenner
07-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Hanley Ramirez

Bruinaholic
07-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Hanley Ramirez

throw in Anibal Sanchez or Randy Messenger and you got a deal

malfeasance
07-16-2006, 05:08 PM
If it was that stupid of a question then why are you even responding w/ a proposal:shakehead what a clown

:joker:

Why respond? To humor you, dummy. After all, isn't that what us clowns do? And before you insult actual clowns everywhere by throwing me in their company, think about this:

Rodeo clowns save lives everyday.

malfeasance
07-16-2006, 05:11 PM
throw in Anibal Sanchez or Randy Messenger and you got a deal

To get them, you'd have to throw in Mike Lowell. :sarcasm:

Tuggy
07-16-2006, 05:19 PM
If they trade Beckett they will have to get a SP in return. The Red Sox starting pitching staff is average at best.

Unholy Diver
07-16-2006, 06:30 PM
maybe they could get Brett Myers from the Phils, I hear him and the Mrs. like the Boston area

David Puddy
07-17-2006, 11:42 PM
2 guys that usually know there baseball and this is the kinda crap responsesFirstly, why in God's name would the boy genius trade away Beckett? Do the Sox need another righty-hitting outfielder to platoon with Trot Nixon?

You want to trade Becket because the Red Sox have so many great starting pitchers? Why not throw Papalbon in the deal to get a DH?

If they trade Beckett they will have to get a SP in return. The Red Sox starting pitching staff is average at best.It sucks beyond Schilling and Beckett. If Papelbon wasn't incredible this year, the Sox would be in third place, 8 GB.

Bruinaholic
07-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Firstly, why in God's name would the boy genius trade away Beckett? Do the Sox need another righty-hitting outfielder to platoon with Trot Nixon?

You want to trade Becket because the Red Sox have so many great starting pitchers? Why not throw Papalbon in the deal to get a DH?

It sucks beyond Schilling and Beckett. If Papelbon wasn't incredible this year, the Sox would be in third place, 8 GB.

i simply asked this question to gauge in peoples opinion Josh Becketts trade value....and who said anything about trading Papelbon...try again Puddy

acr*
07-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Firstly, why in God's name would the boy genius trade away Beckett? Do the Sox need another righty-hitting outfielder to platoon with Trot Nixon?

It sucks beyond Schilling and Beckett. If Papelbon wasn't incredible this year, the Sox would be in third place, 8 GB.
Which is why Papelbon is the AL MVP.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-18-2006, 03:01 AM
Which is why Papelbon is the AL MVP.

No, it's Joe Mauer

Bruinaholic
07-18-2006, 10:49 PM
No, it's Joe Mauer

Not a chance....hes not even Minnys MVP
Minny not even being a playoff team certainly doesnt help, not to mention he doesnt have the "sexy" power numbers
Hes having an awesome year but an MVP he is not

xander
07-18-2006, 11:42 PM
NYM have nobody after the aging Glavine and worn down Pedro(throw Pelfrey and someone and i see a deal)

ick. right now Pelfrey looks like a better option for the short term than Beckett does, without even considering the long haul. keep dreaming.

I'd rather hope for a 22 year old power pitcher with filthy stuff to keep progressing than hope for a 26 year old power pitcher with filthy stuff to turn it around.

Bruinaholic
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
ick. right now Pelfrey looks like a better option for the short term than Beckett does, without even considering the long haul. keep dreaming.

I'd rather hope for a 22 year old power pitcher with filthy stuff to keep progressing than hope for a 26 year old power pitcher with filthy stuff to turn it around.

Whos to say Pelfrey wouldnt give up 30hrs in a season in the AL?
Beckett back in the NL and healthy like hes been this year would undoubtedly give up alot less HRs,increase his K's and likely be a 20 game winner(especailly w/ the mets)

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Not a chance....hes not even Minnys MVP
Minny not even being a playoff team certainly doesnt help, not to mention he doesnt have the "sexy" power numbers
Hes having an awesome year but an MVP he is not

Do you know after adjusting for the fact he's a CATCHER how crazy his numbers are? His OBP is .448! And he's got plenty of power with his slugging at
.525... Thome/Hafner have better offensive numbers in general, but they're DH's, and offer zero defensive value.

Bruinaholic
07-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Do you know after adjusting for the fact he's a CATCHER how crazy his numbers are? His OBP is .448! And he's got plenty of power with his slugging at
.525... Thome/Hafner have better offensive numbers in general, but they're DH's, and offer zero defensive value.

didnt know that, but i dont care and i highly doubt the sports writers that vote care either:dunno:

Tuggy
07-19-2006, 02:49 PM
didnt know that, but i dont care and i highly doubt the sports writers that vote care either:dunno:

You're right...he doesn't play for the Yankees or Red Sox.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
07-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Only Hafner is having a significantly better offensive year than Mauer. You could easily make a case for him for MVP.

Blades of Glory
07-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Maybe something around Jason Schmidt? Beckett wouldn't give up too many HRs at Pac Bell Park.

Bruinaholic
07-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Beckett signed a 3yr extension today w/ a Team option for a 4th year....money not announced

just got the $ details
2007 6$
2008 9.5$
2009 10.5$
2010 team option 12.5$
2$ signing bonus

Good deal considering AJ Burnett got 5 yrs 55$ last winter

Hockeyfan02
07-19-2006, 05:17 PM

And the Twins are in 3rd place. Doubtful Mauer is MVP despite his good season.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Of course, only one player from those teams has one the MVP in the last ten years.

Enoch
07-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Beckett signed a 3yr extension today w/ a Team option for a 4th year....money not announced

just got the $ details
2007 6$
2008 9.5$
2009 10.5$
2010 team option 12.5$
2$ signing bonus

Good deal considering AJ Burnett got 5 yrs 55$ last winter

So essentially its 8, 9.5, and 10.5 with a 12.5 option. Decent signing, considering Carl Pavano is pulling in a cool 10 million in the Bronx.