Zito to the Mets rumor

Tuggy
07-20-2006, 11:27 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5796782

Once again the Zito for Milledge/Heilman rumors are starting to heat up.

Now I'm still not entirely sure where I stand on this rumor. I see good points on both sides of the arguements. Zito is going to be a FA at the end of the season and he will not re-sign. Do you let him walk for nothing?

The A's are currently in first place so it's hard to imagine them trading away their ace. But if they were able to say make a deal that brought in a bat like Soriano, then perhaps it might not be a bad idea.

Bruinaholic
07-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Zito would be a huge boost to the Mets...
Giving up Milledge would be tough but if thats what it takes to round out your rotation then fine
If Heilman goes aswell then the Mets have to make another trade to replace his arm in the pen

Glavine-Martinez-Zito in games 1-2-3 would be tough to face

Maybe the Mets could make a seperate trade to get 1 of the D'backs mentioned(Lyon/Aquino/Valverde) for the pen

Tuggy
07-20-2006, 02:31 PM
I'd love to get my hands on Milledge but trading Zito would hurt our playoff chances so much.

Bruinaholic
07-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I'd love to get my hands on Milledge but trading Zito would hurt our playoff chances so much.

If Harden can come back healthy and make 12 starts to end the year thats basically replacing Zito while having Milledge in the system and Heilman on the staff

Tuggy
07-20-2006, 02:41 PM
If Harden can come back healthy and make 12 starts to end the year thats basically replacing Zito while having Milledge in the system and Heilman on the staff

Ya, I'd find it very hard to pass up the deal. Even if for the sole reason that Zito will walk at the end of the year. I'm not expecting Harden to make another start this season...my hope for him has been crushed.

Bruinaholic
07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Ya, I'd find it very hard to pass up the deal. Even if for the sole reason that Zito will walk at the end of the year. I'm not expecting Harden to make another start this season...my hope for him has been crushed.

Kevin Youkilis for Rich HArden?:sarcasm:

Scoogs
07-20-2006, 03:08 PM
As long as Hillenbrand is out there for nearly nothing, I don't see why the A's would want to deal for Soriano.

But Zito to the Mets would be something..

FearTheFlyers
07-20-2006, 04:47 PM
As long as Hillenbrand is out there for nearly nothing, I don't see why the A's would want to deal for Soriano.

You honestly think Shea Hillenbrand is a Billy Beane kind of player?

KH1
07-20-2006, 04:57 PM
You honestly think Shea Hillenbrand is a Billy Beane kind of player?
I think so. Despite not getting on base much he is a good .300 hitter, and he may not even be an everyday player (Dan Johnson is primed for a huge second half IMO and Chavez obviously has the hot corner covered.)

I think with the West as close as it is Beane will take offense wherever he can find it.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-20-2006, 06:10 PM
This would be a good time for a Scott Kazmir joke

Dr Love
07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Now I'm still not entirely sure where I stand on this rumor. I see good points on both sides of the arguements. Zito is going to be a FA at the end of the season and he will not re-sign. Do you let him walk for nothing?

You take Milledge and Heilman and never look back. Zito hired Scott Boras as his agent, so the chances he goes to a bad team (read: team that doesn't spend a lot of money) next year is extremely low. Yeah, Beane drafts differently than everyone else, but would you rather have the Mets players or a late 1st and supplemental pick? I'd rather have the former.

KH1
07-20-2006, 06:40 PM
At this point the Mets are the overwhelming favorites to win the NL so adding a pitcher would be a good move. When they dealt for Zambrano, they were not even in the race.

Considering that A.J. Burnett got $55 million last offseason, I believe that Zito can take in $80 mil. Keep that in mind if you're thinking of aquiring him.

Tuggy
07-20-2006, 06:43 PM
You take Milledge and Heilman and never look back. Zito hired Scott Boras as his agent, so the chances he goes to a bad team (read: team that doesn't spend a lot of money) next year is extremely low. Yeah, Beane drafts differently than everyone else, but would you rather have the Mets players or a late 1st and supplemental pick? I'd rather have the former.

Ya that's the feeling I have right now, but if Beane makes the deal does that mean he giving up on the season? I mean Heilman could step into our rotation (he's a starter, not a middle releiver) but he's no Zito.

If BB does make this move then he will need to go out and get a bat, well he probably needs to do that anyway. The A's have played well against the Yankees and Red Sox this season and always play the White Sox, so making some noise in the postseason isn't out of the question.

It should be an interesting 10 days or so because I do think BB will make at least one or two moves.

Bruinaholic
07-20-2006, 06:49 PM
At this point the Mets are the overwhelming favorites to win the NL so adding a pitcher would be a good move. When they dealt for Zambrano, they were not even in the race.

Considering that A.J. Burnett got $65 million last offseason, I believe that Zito can take in $80 mil. Keep that in mind if you're thinking of aquiring him.

5yrs 55$

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
07-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I do that if I'm the A's. If I'm the Mets, eh.... I'd have to think about it. While being the best team in the NL, they got a heavy dose of reality in interleague play.

Jaysfanatic*
07-20-2006, 07:09 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5796782

Once again the Zito for Milledge/Heilman rumors are starting to heat up.

The A's are currently in first place so it's hard to imagine them trading away their ace. But if they were able to say make a deal that brought in a bat like Soriano, then perhaps it might not be a bad idea.

He'll re-sign with the Mets, book it.

KH1
07-20-2006, 07:09 PM
5yrs 55$

Sorry, my fault. I'll edit my post now.

Still, the basic idea doesn't change--Burnett, a thoroughly mediocre pitcher, got huge bucks for being the best in his class of free agents. Zito, a pretty good pitcher (though definately not "the next Greg Maddux" as Boras has been pimping him) will get even huger bucks because there is a definite dropoff in talent after him (unless you want to take a risk on Jason Schmidt.)

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-20-2006, 11:47 PM

Mets players for sure, because the Mets players don't require absurd signing bonuses to sign

Prince Mercury
07-21-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't get what the freakin' deal is with the Zito rumours. Why not just hang on to the guy?

Live in the Now
07-21-2006, 12:16 AM
I don't really buy the Zito rumors. I don't know why there isn't much talk surrounding Dontrelle, that's pretty surprising.

JDevils3
07-21-2006, 12:18 AM
As a Met fan, I think I would have to do that deal... even if it was just a rental. I don't want to lose Miledge, but its so much better than trading young pitching. As long as a deal doesn't involve Pelfrey I'm all for it. Don't get to many chances as good as this.

Tuggy
07-21-2006, 05:49 AM
I don't get what the freakin' deal is with the Zito rumours. Why not just hang on to the guy?

Do you mean the A's should re-sign him? Ya that'd be nice but...:help:

GKJ
07-21-2006, 06:31 AM

The name of the game is to win. If the A's are in 1st place at the deadline, the goal becomes winning this season.

Tuggy
07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
The name of the game is to win. If the A's are in 1st place at the deadline, the goal becomes winning this season.

But small market teams have a different mindset then other teams. While I agree Barry gives us a better chance to win, but he is gone at the end of the year. Is it more important for the franchise to *maybe* make the playoffs or get something of value for a stud pitcher they will lose for nothing? Personally I have to go with the second option. We are not the the Red Sox, Yankees or Mets. We can't just "go for it" and then expect to sign a bunch of free agents in the offseason.

I expect to see Zito get traded and I think the Mets are the most likely spot.

xander
07-22-2006, 02:11 AM
grrr. As much as I want to round out the rotation, i just can't justify giving up Milledge for 3 months of Zito. Sign him in the offseason and I'll take my chances with what we got.

I know the temptation is to go for it all now, but there is a real nice core developing in flushing, I wouldn't start trading pieces of it away.

barrytrotzsneck
07-23-2006, 09:52 PM
No thanks from Mets perspective, IMO.

I'm no HUGE Milledge fan, but I don't care for Zito as much as some do.

barrytrotzsneck
07-23-2006, 09:54 PM
grrr. As much as I want to round out the rotation, i just can't justify giving up Milledge for 3 months of Zito. Sign him in the offseason and I'll take my chances with what we got.

I know the temptation is to go for it all now, but there is a real nice core developing in flushing, I wouldn't start trading pieces of it away.

agreed, 100 percent.

El Duque has been solid and is known for being a big game\playoff pitcher, we've got such an absurd lead that we can leave Pedro out for as long as necessary and let him come in FRESH in the fall, which is a scary thing for the playoffs...Glavine is fine...and really only Trachsel has looked weak...but he's finding ways to win, as he always does.

I like our lineup, and wouldn't mind seeing it stay what it is now.

stanley
07-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Ya, I'd find it very hard to pass up the deal. Even if for the sole reason that Zito will walk at the end of the year.
Look at it this way, Tuggy - it's a choice between Milledge and removing Zito from the rotation for the last two months and (hopefully for you) the playoffs, or...

...Zito for the remainder of the year, plus two draft picks next year. He'll certainly be a Type A free agent. Thus, two draft picks (a sandwich and most likely a first pick).

Tuggy
07-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Look at it this way, Tuggy - it's a choice between Milledge and removing Zito from the rotation for the last two months and (hopefully for you) the playoffs, or...

...Zito for the remainder of the year, plus two draft picks next year. He'll certainly be a Type A free agent. Thus, two draft picks (a sandwich and most likely a first pick).

Yes the draft picks are something I had forgotten about. Similar to how we lost our first rounder this year because of Loiaza :rolleyes:

According to ESPN last night, the A's are the "frontrunner" for Carlos Lee. So...if the A's acquired Lee and then traded Zito, they would receive the first rounder for losing Lee(free agent this year) which would replace the one they would get for losing Zito. If that make any sense. :)

HVPOLARBEARS19
07-27-2006, 09:53 PM
As a die-hard Mets fan, originally the thought of moving Lastings was enough to make me sick...however, after seeing him play for a few weeks, and hearing about him, I now feel like the Mets should deal him. He's got a world of talent, however, he seems like he has the real possibility of being a headcase. I'm not saying he is right now, or even will ever be, but hearing some of his off field issues just made me a little nervous...I don't want him turning into the next Strawberry for the Mets...
As for Zito, I'm honestly not sold on him, and don't want another Mike Hampton-esque quick fix situation, and then he leaves...however, if the Mets could get Dontrelle Willis for Milledge, Heilman and something, I'd do it in a second. Dontrelle Willis in New York would be insane, i'd love it.

barrytrotzsneck
07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
As a die-hard Mets fan, originally the thought of moving Lastings was enough to make me sick...however, after seeing him play for a few weeks, and hearing about him, I now feel like the Mets should deal him. He's got a world of talent, however, he seems like he has the real possibility of being a headcase. I'm not saying he is right now, or even will ever be, but hearing some of his off field issues just made me a little nervous...I don't want him turning into the next Strawberry for the Mets...
As for Zito, I'm honestly not sold on him, and don't want another Mike Hampton-esque quick fix situation, and then he leaves...however, if the Mets could get Dontrelle Willis for Milledge, Heilman and something, I'd do it in a second. Dontrelle Willis in New York would be insane, i'd love it.

I agree with every bit of this. However, the Marlins wouldn't\don't want Heilman. They want Pelfrey, and I'm not comfortable with that, personally.

Omar said, today, that they're not likely to make a big move...they don't see the need, and I'm fine with that.

stanley
07-28-2006, 08:22 AM
...after seeing [Milledge] play for a few weeks, and hearing about him, I now feel like the Mets should deal him...[snip...I don't want him turning into the next Strawberry for the Mets...
Holy cow. I think Mets fans should only wish he'd turn into Darryl Strawberry. If I were a Met fan, I would think Milledge could do run around naked on the field doing coke and selling Mary Kay products in the lockerroom (huh?) for all I care, as long as I could be assured he'd have Darryl's productivity.

On ESPN radio today, Olney claimed that Beane has lowered his asking price for Zito to "Milledge and a prospect." But Buster has proven to be a true student of quantum physics, covering just about every possible trade scenario this deadline season. How he could know such a thing seems is an unanswered questions, or there's the possibility that he's one of the two GM's accidental mouthpiece.

Tuggy
07-28-2006, 08:55 AM
On ESPN radio today, Olney claimed that Beane has lowered his asking price for Zito to "Milledge and a prospect." But Buster has proven to be a true student of quantum physics, covering just about every possible trade scenario this deadline season. How he could know such a thing seems is an unanswered questions, or there's the possibility that he's one of the two GM's accidental mouthpiece.

I really like the idea of bringing Milledge in but Beane would have to bring in another starter from somewhere to join the rotation.

barrytrotzsneck
07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I really like the idea of bringing Milledge in but Beane would have to bring in another starter from somewhere to join the rotation.

Well, Heilman is a better starter than a bullpen guy. A happy Heilman is a very good Heilman.

Tuggy
07-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, Heilman is a better starter than a bullpen guy. A happy Heilman is a very good Heilman.

Ya I know and Milledge+Heilman would be a great deal but I don't see that happening anymore. If I had to choose, then I'd take Milledge over Heilman.

Bruinaholic
07-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Im sure theres next to no chance that Zito signs on arrival but i wonder if 5 years 67.5$ could get it done?
I think the Mets would be more wise to send Milledge and someone for Willis if at all possible just because Willis is somewhat cost contolled
If the Zito deal happens the Mets should almost insist on another player coming just because of the uncertainty of retaining BZ.

A's get L.Milledge-R.Ring(25yo LHRP)-V.Diaz(24 yo OF)
Mets get B.Zito-J.Payton-either M.Ellis or M.Scutaro for 2B

Oakland would free up crazy money and the Mets would have maybe the deepest team w/ Valentine,Franco,Marrero and Nady/Payton off the bench

Nifty=HHOF
07-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Im sure theres next to no chance that Zito signs on arrival but i wonder if 5 years 67.5$ could get it done?
I think the Mets would be more wise to send Milledge and someone for Willis if at all possible just because Willis is somewhat cost contolled
If the Zito deal happens the Mets should almost insist on another player coming just because of the uncertainty of retaining BZ.

A's get L.Milledge-R.Ring(25yo LHRP)-V.Diaz(24 yo OF)
Mets get B.Zito-J.Payton-either M.Ellis or M.Scutaro for 2B

Oakland would free up crazy money and the Mets would have maybe the deepest team w/ Valentine,Franco,Marrero and Nady/Payton off the bench

Jay Payton was not a happy camper coming off of the bench in Boston last year.

HVPOLARBEARS19
07-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Holy cow. I think Mets fans should only wish he'd turn into Darryl Strawberry. If I were a Met fan, I would think Milledge could do run around naked on the field doing coke and selling Mary Kay products in the lockerroom (huh?) for all I care, as long as I could be assured he'd have Darryl's productivity.

By that, I just meant his off the field issues. However, I don't think I'd want the whole Daryl Strawberry package again anyway...one world series (that was one strike away from not happening) and then nearly 20 years of dissapointment, not to mention absolutely abismal years in the 90's...no thanks. I'd rather have the solid team, that still has a chance to win, minus the headcase aspect.

HajdukSplit
07-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Mets don't need Zito, I don't want to give up prospects for a player who will be here for 3 months and then leave. I am happy with the current rotation especially with John Maine. Pelfrey is doing good but I think we should send him back to AAA as we have 6 starters now and he probably doesn't want to go in the pen.

1. Pedro
2. Glavine
3. Trachsel
4. Hernandez
5. Maine

We should try to go after Zito in the off season but I'm not that desperate in getting him either then. Mets really don't need to make any moves, maybe one more arm in the bullpen

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-29-2006, 07:07 PM
The Mets need Pedro to be healthy.

xander
07-29-2006, 07:22 PM
The Mets need Pedro to be healthy.

I don't see why they don't shut him down until late august/early september. what does he have to gain by pitching now?

Ironchef Chris Wok*
07-29-2006, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't shut him down completely. Have him start once a week, or take him out at like 80 pitches for his starts.

Seth Lake
07-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Or what about going to a six-man rotation with Pedro, Glavine, Traschel, Hernandez, Maine, Pelfrey for a while and rest everyone down the stretch...while at the same time building experience for both Maine and Pelfrey?

I've been a Mets fan since 1986...granted I was only 5, but I loved watching that World Series. I'm loving this season and really want it to end with another WS title twenty years after their last. I really like what Omar Minaya has done so far and like others don't want to see him trade for Zito due to the uncertainty of him resigning and the cost of the 3 month rental. We are lined up for success for a few more years to come...I say keep the prospects and play our hand.

barrytrotzsneck
07-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Or what about going to a six-man rotation with Pedro, Glavine, Traschel, Hernandez, Maine, Pelfrey for a while and rest everyone down the stretch...while at the same time building experience for both Maine and Pelfrey?

I've been a Mets fan since 1986...granted I was only 5, but I loved watching that World Series. I'm loving this season and really want it to end with another WS title twenty years after their last. I really like what Omar Minaya has done so far and like others don't want to see him trade for Zito due to the uncertainty of him resigning and the cost of the 3 month rental. We are lined up for success for a few more years to come...I say keep the prospects and play our hand.

It's odd that there's three Preds fans...yourself, hipcheck85...and me...that are all also Mets fans :yo:

Scottkmlps
08-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Actually glad the Mets didn't pick up Zito. No need to give up a top young prospect like Milledge for a 3 month rental. I would also think that the Mets would have the inside track on signing him in the off-season anyways, with Peterson being his old pitching coach. The money saved on letting Floyd walk can go to Zito. The only downfall with Zito, is Boras.

barrytrotzsneck
08-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Letting Floyd walk AND likely declining Glavine's option.

stanley
08-02-2006, 06:28 AM
By that, I just meant his off the field issues. However, I don't think I'd want the whole Daryl Strawberry package again anyway...one world series (that was one strike away from not happening) and then nearly 20 years of dissapointment, not to mention absolutely abismal years in the 90's...no thanks. I'd rather have the solid team, that still has a chance to win, minus the headcase aspect.
Fair enough. I won't take your analogy so literally.

For what it's worth, Strawberry was productive throughout his Mets career, which was what I took you to mean. In hindsight, they traded him at nearly the perfect time, as his production dipped noticably after one year in LA. For the production he gave them, I'd take those off-field problems without really thinking about it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/strawda01.shtml

stanley
08-02-2006, 06:31 AM
No need to give up a top young prospect like Milledge for a 3 month rental...
...and two draft picks, most likely within the top 40 picks if he was offered arbitration and not re-signed. For what it's worth.

Pedro and Glavine have limited windows. Adding Zito would have been immense for that pitching staff. They'll probably be better for having Milledge in the lineup going forward, but Zito's a much better player at a much more crucial position now. It's a bittersweet situation to contemplate for Mets fans.

NYRchick
08-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Being a Mets fan,I haven't been all that impressed with Milledge.Not to mention his immature attitude,which doesn't help.In the right deal,I would've traded him.I don't know if Zito is the guy,but if that rumored 3 team deal had come through,Milledge for Oswalt would've been a great move

Scottkmlps
08-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Being a Mets fan,I haven't been all that impressed with Milledge.Not to mention his immature attitude,which doesn't help.In the right deal,I would've traded him.I don't know if Zito is the guy,but if that rumored 3 team deal had come through,Milledge for Oswalt would've been a great move

I definately would've dealt Milledge for Oswalt, cause Oswalt isn't a 3 month rental.

Scottkmlps
08-02-2006, 03:18 PM
...and two draft picks, most likely within the top 40 picks if he was offered arbitration and not re-signed. For what it's worth.

Pedro and Glavine have limited windows. Adding Zito would have been immense for that pitching staff. They'll probably be better for having Milledge in the lineup going forward, but Zito's a much better player at a much more crucial position now. It's a bittersweet situation to contemplate for Mets fans.

Yes, but Pedro still has at least 2 years of dependable service, and Glavine probably has another good year in him. Grab Zito in the off-season for nothing, and your top 3 are Zito, Pedro, & Glavine, which is pretty damn good in my books. Round the rotation out with Pelfrey, Maine or Bannister, and you've got one hell of a rotation, to go along with one of the best pens in the majors. This isn't the only year that the Mets are gonna be a WS favorite. They're still pretty young, and with keeping there top young players it's gonna extend that.
On another note, can you imagine if the Mets/Jays trade actually went through a few years back when it was a J. Cruz Jr. for D. Wright deal that the Jays backed out of? The backlash by Mets fans would've been alot worse than the Kazmir/Zambrano deal.

xander
08-02-2006, 06:14 PM

most of us who where against dealing milledge for a rental would have sent him for oswalt in a second (myself included.) It's a completely differant situation because Oswalt is locked up for next year and is probably going to be much more likely to sign a long term contract than zito because he's not, to my knowledge, a boras client.
I also think that Oswalt is a much better pitcher than Zito.