Andruw Jones claimed off waivers by an undisclosed team

GKJ
08-04-2006, 03:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2539544

Did Schuerholz get a case of temporary insanity?

lux_interior
08-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Multiple teams placed claims on Jones, according to major-league sources. But on Thursday afternoon, one team was awarded a claim on Jones. Now the Braves have two choices -- either work out a trade with the team who placed the claim by Saturday or pull Jones back from waivers. If they pull him back, they cannot trade him again for the rest of this season.

Don't see what the big deal is. They were looking to trade him before the deadline, and now they are continuing to try. It's not like they'll lose him for nothing in return.

Hockeyfan02
08-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Isn't this the time where a bunch of teams put guys on waivers just for kicks and then pull them back when they are claimed?

X0X0A0
08-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Alot of players are put on waivers just to see if there is an interest. It isin't a big deal.

Richie Rich
08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
i hope that he is taken out of the NL east

GO METS!!

Cloned
08-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, the waivers don't work the same way in baseball as they do in the NHL.

Greek_physique
08-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Braves knew this was gonna happen, so its not a big deal.

Son of Steinbrenner
08-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Teams will put 7 guys a day on waivers until there whole 25 man roster has been exposed.

Jones being on waivers isn't news nor is it news that a team claimed him. If the braves don't like what the "undisclosed team" has in return they can recall him.

What's the big deal?

GKJ
08-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Part of this is for me to educate myself on how post-deadline waivers work. Now I know.

Greek_physique
08-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Part of this is for me to educate myself on how post-deadline waivers work. Now I know.

And knowing is half the battle...
http://www.80stees.com/images/products/GI_Joe_Flint-Magnet.jpg

BuppY
08-04-2006, 07:36 PM
We'll see what happens.

Unholy Diver
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
I heard he is headed to Pittsburgh for Jeromy Burnitz, and Jose Hernandez

Fish on The Sand
08-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I heard he is headed to Pittsburgh for Jeromy Burnitz, and Jose Hernandez

that would be the greatest trade in history because it helps neither team at all.

Big McLargehuge
08-05-2006, 05:55 PM
that would be the greatest trade in history because it helps neither team at all.

At least Littlefield would be sending crap the other way for once.

stanley
08-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Hmmm. A leaker with integrity. I like it.

Stefan
08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Jones was whining that the Braves don't want him around. Does he knows he's been on waivers 10 out of the last 10 seasons? Every team does this every single year, 99% of the time there is no trade coming. It's purely to guage interest for 'blanks' and giggles.

Brodeur
08-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Jones was whining that the Braves don't want him around. Does he knows he's been on waivers 10 out of the last 10 seasons? Every team does this every single year, 99% of the time there is no trade coming. It's purely to guage interest for 'blanks' and giggles.

I think he might have been miffed about the trade talk that was going on prior to the deadline--namely the rumors of him going to Boston for Crisp/Hansen/etc. The fact that he's a 10/5 player soon (he would get veto power over any trade) combined with the rumors might have been a slap to the face for a guy who's given 10 years of service to one team.

Jaysfanatic*
08-11-2006, 02:35 PM
To the Blue Jays to play left field :D even though or left field is really good anyways.

gamera
08-11-2006, 09:02 PM
hmm....AJ gone? guess it could happen

Badger Bob
08-24-2006, 11:39 AM

He was miffed that he wasn't notified in advance, and felt it was "rude."

With his salary, he should be able to come to terms with the perceived slight.

mug3n
08-24-2006, 12:51 PM
This hardly means much, the Braves can pull Jones off waivers if they don't like the deal that the team who claimed Jones gave them.

David Puddy
08-24-2006, 12:58 PM
After the trade deadline on July 31, a player on the 40 man roster must clear waivers to be traded. Teams are allowed to revoke the waivers to keep the player if a second team puts in a waiver claim. If the player clears waivers, he can be traded.

Teams do put a lot of guys on waivers in August for the purpose of a potential trade and to create a screen, hoping a quality guy will go slip through. A good example of this is Shawn Green recently clearing waivers and then being traded to the Mets. Some players with big contracts are put on waivers hoping they will be claimed so the original team will be free from the salary.

As for Andruw Jones, there was talk at the end of July that the Braves wanted to trade Jones to the Red Sox for Coco Crisp and a little more, and the Red Sox were going to trade Jones with prospects to Houston for Roy Oswalt.

punk_o_holic
08-26-2006, 01:39 PM
After the trade deadline on July 31, a player on the 40 man roster must clear waivers to be traded. Teams are allowed to revoke the waivers to keep the player if a second team puts in a waiver claim. If the player clears waivers, he can be traded.

Teams do put a lot of guys on waivers in August for the purpose of a potential trade and to create a screen, hoping a quality guy will go slip through. A good example of this is Shawn Green recently clearing waivers and then being traded to the Mets. Some players with big contracts are put on waivers hoping they will be claimed so the original team will be free from the salary.

As for Andruw Jones, there was talk at the end of July that the Braves wanted to trade Jones to the Red Sox for Coco Crisp and a little more, and the Red Sox were going to trade Jones with prospects to Houston for Roy Oswalt.
I heard that the Astros rejected the Oswalt deal. Actually I think it went like this, BOSOx offered something for Oswalt, Astros said no. They then asked for Clemens, Astros said no. They then said if we get Jones, we would ship him to you guys for Oswalt. Astros said no thanks. <---all this was from another board which was written by a respectable mod who has some minor conections w/ a scout.

punk_o_holic
08-26-2006, 01:40 PM
This hardly means much, the Braves can pull Jones off waivers if they don't like the deal that the team who claimed Jones gave them.

but once they pull him off waivers, Atlanta can no longer trade him this season.

Badger Bob
08-26-2006, 08:59 PM
but once they pull him off waivers, Atlanta can no longer trade him this season.

Plus, his 10/5 rights kicked in.