Vernon Wells Trade Value ?

Dark Knight
08-06-2006, 12:25 PM
It seems like Wells will not re-sign with this club. He has stated that he would like to play with his buddy Michael Young in Texas.

If J.P ever tried to trade him, what could we get for Wells ? Keep in mind he's a Gold Glove CF very capable of hitting over .300 with 30 + homers.

Would a trade with Angels involving Kendrick and Lackey sound plausable ? How about Brandon Wood ?

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
08-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Would a trade with Angels involving Kendrick and Lackey sound plausable ?
No.

How about Brandon Wood ?
Maybe.

Blades of Glory
08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Kendrick and Lackey? You'd hear a click.

Maybe Brandon Wood, but Vernon Wells won't sniff John Lackey OR Howie Kendrick, definitely not them together.

KH1
08-06-2006, 02:40 PM
If the Blue Jays are going to deal Wells they better do it this offseason--there aren't really outfielders of note on the market, and the 2 best ones (Soriano and Lee) can't play center field.

Greek_physique
08-06-2006, 05:46 PM
If the Jays are serious about trading Wells, we'd need pitching back.

Then contact Minnesota about T.Hunter or Atlanta about A.Jones.

FearTheFlyers
08-06-2006, 06:02 PM
but Vernon Wells won't sniff John Lackey OR Howie Kendrick.

:biglaugh:

Scoogs
08-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I get mixed feelings on Wells. It seems like he wouldn't mind staying in Toronto, but it's well known that he wants to go home to Arlington.

As for the hole left in CF if he is traded, we have Johnson or Rios who would likely step into the CF role.

I'd want a nice return, though. An above average starter and a good positional player, preferably SS. But the lineup would suffer with one less big bat. I'd hope we could somehow acquire one if he did leave.

Like I've said numerous times, JP has to go to him in the off-season and ask "Do you want to continue to play in Toronto?". If the answer is yes, then JP should just open the vault.

We'll see.

Buffalo87
08-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Maybe Brandon Wood, but Vernon Wells won't sniff John Lackey OR Howie Kendrick, definitely not them together.

Are you kidding? Either one for Wells straight up would be highway robbery.

Chaos
08-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Kendrick and Lackey? You'd hear a click.

Wow talk about overvaluing prospects. We're talking about a Gold Glove caliber CF, capable of hitting .300/30HR/100+ RBIs, and he's only 27. If the Jays trade him, they'll get quite a nice return.

Bruinaholic
08-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Im not sure what Texas has for prospects in the pipeline but what a team Tex would have if they signed Lee for say 5 years 62.5$ then trade for Wells and sign him for 6yrs 72$
Im sure any trade would have to include Kinsler going to Toronto so maybe Texas just waits a year and signs him for draft picks

Texieria-Wells-Lee-Young-Blalock would be downright scary

Scoogs
08-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Wow talk about overvaluing prospects. We're talking about a Gold Glove caliber CF, capable of hitting .300/30HR/100+ RBIs, and he's only 27. If the Jays trade him, they'll get quite a nice return.

Says the man from Arlington. :biglaugh:

But seriously, I agree. No one seems to want to give Wells any credit.

Chaos
08-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Says the man from Arlington. :biglaugh:

But seriously, I agree. No one seems to want to give Wells any credit.
If the Rangers did go out and trade for him, I'd expect the price to be quite high in terms of prospects. However, I don't think the Jays would get Kinsler(mark my words, he's the next Michael Young).

willie
08-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Im not sure what Texas has for prospects in the pipeline but what a team Tex would have if they signed Lee for say 5 years 62.5$ then trade for Wells and sign him for 6yrs 72$
Im sure any trade would have to include Kinsler going to Toronto so maybe Texas just waits a year and signs him for draft picks

Texieria-Wells-Lee-Young-Blalock would be downright scary

Yeah it would. But Texas is still going to have to contend with a lot of teams in the FA market to get Wells. And while I'm sure he'd love to play there, $$$ will rule the day. If Wells goes on the market this offseason, I'm certain Texas will be in the running.

I wonder if a deal revolving around Wells + Adams for Kinsler + Wilkerson could be arranged. JP really likes Wilkerson and Texas fans would probably be quite happy to get rid of him with all his k's this year. Kinsler hurts but Texas is gaining the best all around outfielder in baseball. (who is still just 27) Adams has struggled but he still has the upside to be a solid everyday player. A change of scenery should do him good.

The Jays still have a solid outfield with Johnson, Rios, Wilkerson & Hinske. They also have a very sexy young middle infield with Hill & Kinsler. And they save money to try and add a pitcher and a dh in the offseason.

Scoogs
08-06-2006, 07:37 PM
If the Rangers did go out and trade for him, I'd expect the price to be quite high in terms of prospects. However, I don't think the Jays would get Kinsler(mark my words, he's the next Michael Young).

It's only fair you give us Kinsler then, since we basically handed you Young for that stupid ****ing ******* Loaiza. :madfire:

willie
08-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Perhaps he is. But Wells - who is just 4 years older - is the best all around outfielder in baseball. Kinsler might become a comparable talent. But Wells already is that calibre of player. Plus he's friends with Young and those two help form the nucleus of a pennant team.

The Jays are hardly in rebuilding mode. They'll certainly be looking to rearrange the lineup but I'm certain they'll want pieces to help contend next year. Prospects don't do that. IF Texas wont bite with talent that helps now, I'm sure JP will look elsewhere. (and - by all means - you can try and use the hometown card to outbid the New Yorks, Chicago's & Houston's the offseason after...)

Chaos
08-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Perhaps he is. But Wells - who is just 4 years older - is the best all around outfielder in baseball. Kinsler might become a comparable talent. But Wells already is that calibre of player. Plus he's friends with Young and those two help form the nucleus of a pennant team.

The Jays are hardly in rebuilding mode. They'll certainly be looking to rearrange the lineup but I'm certain they'll want pieces to help contend next year. Prospects don't do that. IF Texas wont bite with talent that helps now, I'm sure JP will look elsewhere. (and - by all means - you can try and use the hometown card to outbid the New Yorks, Chicago's & Houston's the offseason after...)
Oh I'm sure the Jays would want Kinsler in any deal. I just think Texas would try and get Wells for a package surrounding guys like Blalock, Wilkerson, and prospects. Doesn't mean it would work, but I think thats what they'd try.

Chaos
08-06-2006, 07:51 PM
It's only fair you give us Kinsler then, since we basically handed you Young for that stupid ****ing ******* Loaiza. :madfire:

And we are forever grateful to you for that:D

willie
08-06-2006, 08:10 PM
I know you don't want to trade Kinsler but I just can't see Blalock, Wilkerson + prospects as being enticing enough. (particularly as Blalock would eat up too much of Toronto's payroll for what he contributes)

Just curious to know how'd you feel if Texas did do Kinsler + Wilkerson for Wells + Adams.

I actually think it's a very fair deal that works for both teams. Despite Adam's struggles, I still think he is going to be a solid everyday player. He has the swing to be a very good contact hitter and once he gets adjusted at 2B, I think his defense will come around. (plus Young could be a very good mentor for him)

KH1
08-06-2006, 08:37 PM

Wow, I'd love to hear Vladamir Guerrero's thoughts on that.

As for Lackey's value vs. Wells', Lackey has established himself as an ace starter. A #1 pitcher is more valuable than a #1 outfielder, especially considering that Wells is nearing free agency and is no safe bet to stay with Anaheim.

Blades of Glory
08-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Are you kidding? Either one for Wells straight up would be highway robbery.

Maybe Kendrick, but as good as Vernon Wells is, I doubt he'd fetch a 27 year old top of the rotation starter. Kendrick is probably what he'd be valued around. No way Lackey, and definitely not both of them.

A top of the rotation starter with a bargain contract is a lot harder to find than a GG caliber CF with a good bat.

Chaos
08-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I know you don't want to trade Kinsler but I just can't see Blalock, Wilkerson + prospects as being enticing enough. (particularly as Blalock would eat up too much of Toronto's payroll for what he contributes)

Just curious to know how'd you feel if Texas did do Kinsler + Wilkerson for Wells + Adams.

I actually think it's a very fair deal that works for both teams. Despite Adam's struggles, I still think he is going to be a solid everyday player. He has the swing to be a very good contact hitter and once he gets adjusted at 2B, I think his defense will come around. (plus Young could be a very good mentor for him)
If thats all it took, I'd do it from a Texas standpoint. Wilkerson is useless at this point, and as good as Kinsler is, he certainly isnt Wells. Plus we've got a damn good SS in AAA right now in Joaquin Arias, so we could either move Young back to second or move him to second.

willie
08-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow, I'd love to hear Vladamir Guerrero's thoughts on that.

Fine. I should have prefaced it with "arguably" the best all around outfielder. But Wells is better defensively than Vladdy. Guerrero has the better bat though. I suppose I'd give the edge to Guerrero but it isn't huge. And Wells is a few years younger.

KH1
08-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Fine. I should have prefaced it with "arguably" the best all around outfielder. But Wells is better defensively than Vladdy. Guerrero has the better bat though. I suppose I'd give the edge to Guerrero but it isn't huge. And Wells is a few years younger.
I do have to give Wells a lot of credit, I always thought he was overrated before this season (in fact, I still do--he'd only hit .300 once before this season, and his consistency left much to be desired.)

This year he's proven himself to be a bona fide star though.

acr*
08-06-2006, 10:13 PM
I'll give you Coco Crisp and Abe Alvarez.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
08-06-2006, 10:23 PM
No! Keep Alvarez out of the division. He'll pitch like Koufax against the Sox, guaranteed.

DocHolliday
08-07-2006, 07:49 AM
If JP has any brains, the centrepiece of a deal for Wells should be pitching. If Anaheim is the team, Santana should be coming back. Ideally I'd love to see a Wells + for Santana & Wood. That's why I don't see the Rangers as a match unless it's a 3way with Kinsler + and the + getting swapped for pitching. I don't see much affordable pitching on the Rangers roster.

Bruinaholic
08-07-2006, 01:08 PM

And either Seanez or Tavarez:D

acr*
08-07-2006, 06:21 PM
And either Seanez or Tavarez:D
How about we give them both and they agree to never let Ted Lilly pitch against us again.

Scoogs
08-07-2006, 08:13 PM
How about we give them both and they agree to never let Ted Lilly pitch against us again.

Only if David Wells pitches at least 1 inning in every game against Toronto.

KH1
08-07-2006, 10:35 PM
If JP has any brains, the centrepiece of a deal for Wells should be pitching. If Anaheim is the team, Santana should be coming back. Ideally I'd love to see a Wells + for Santana & Wood. That's why I don't see the Rangers as a match unless it's a 3way with Kinsler + and the + getting swapped for pitching. I don't see much affordable pitching on the Rangers roster.
Santana and Wood? Don't hold your breath. Ervin is a young #1 starter who is making hardly any money and is locked up until 2011. He was thought to be untouchable until the Angels decided to offer him at the last second for Miguel Tejada (a player with more value than Wells by a decent margin, especially at the trade deadline.)

Don't expect to get Santana back, let alone in a package with Wood. It doesn't even have as much to do with value as with how highly the Halos think of him.

ktownhockey
08-10-2006, 01:45 PM

What, you don't think Michael Young is worth Vernon Wells... common

ktownhockey
08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Santana and Wood? Don't hold your breath. Ervin is a young #1 starter who is making hardly any money and is locked up until 2011. He was thought to be untouchable until the Angels decided to offer him at the last second for Miguel Tejada (a player with more value than Wells by a decent margin, especially at the trade deadline.)

Don't expect to get Santana back, let alone in a package with Wood. It doesn't even have as much to do with value as with how highly the Halos think of him.

Ok... So we have had someone say that Lackey is the # 1 for LAA and now someone saying that Santana is?

I say its Lackey ... Santana WILL BE a consistent, solid number 2... and his value due to salary structure and length of contract is great...

that being said, Santana and Brandon Wood for Wells and let's say Adams would be a fair deal for both sides IMHO...

Adams could still develop into a pretty good short stop if he sorts his mental side out this off season.

ktownhockey
08-10-2006, 01:55 PM
if that proposed trade did go down the Jays lineup would look like this...

RF Reed Johnson
LF Frank Catalanotto
CF Alex Rios
3B Troy Glaus
1B Lyle Overbay
SS Brandon Wood
DH Eric Hinske
2B Aaron Hill
C Gregg Zaun

not bad in my opinion alot of guys who hit for avg. and like to get on base.

Pitching would be strong supposing we don't resign Shoenweis, or Lilly and we do re-up with Speier....

1) Halladay
2) Burnett
3) E. Santana
4) Chacin
5) Marcum (or the flavour of the week eg. Janssen, Towers, McGowan, Rosario, Downs)

Bullpen
Accardo
Downs
League
Speier
Tallet
Frasor
FA
Ryan

Not a bad line up....

Stefan
08-11-2006, 01:54 AM

Sure, just tack on that guy who wears #34 and we'll call things even. Pleasure doin' business with ya!