Savage's jersey goes to the rafters

Greg
11-13-2003, 07:50 AM
FIRST RETIREMENT SET FOR SATURDAY BEFORE THE GAME: The Miami hockey program plans to retire the jersey of Brian Savage on Saturday night prior to its game against Michigan State. Savage played for the RedHawks from 1990-03 and during that time put up some gaudy numbers. He scored 109 career points in only 106 games, while being named to the All-CCHA First Team and the NCAA All-America Second Team in 1992-93. That season, Savage helped lead the Red and White to its first-ever CCHA Championship and NCAA Tournament appearance.

Since his Miami days, Savage won a silver medal with Team Canada at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, and then set forth on a very successful 11-year NHL career. After spending his first nine seasons with the Montreal Canadians, Savage was traded to the Coyotes midway through the 2001-02 season. He has played in over 500 NHL games and recorded his 300th NHL point on November 9, 2002 against the Vancouver Canucks.

In 1995-96, Savage was named the NHL Player of the Week when he scored seven goals and two assists during a four-game spanning in late October. Twice since then he has been named a runner up for the weekly award, and five times in his career he has topped the 20-goal plateau.

With career numbers of 168 goals, 147 assists and 315 points in his 543-game NHL career, Savage steps back on to the sheet in Goggin to be presenting with a framed jersey, and watch as a banner is raised in the South corner of the rink in his honor.
link (http://muredhawks.ocsn.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/111103aaa.html)

ulf
11-13-2003, 05:52 PM
whew i was afraid savage was still in the uni

PhoPhan
11-13-2003, 06:13 PM
whew i was afraid savage was still in the uni

I was hoping he still was...

roadrunner
11-13-2003, 08:06 PM
I was hoping he still was...

Heh! Good one! He DID score a nice one tonight, though. Great timing and aim. Here's hoping for 20-odd more of those this year. It would sure make that salary easier to stomach.