Quebec City ABA Team,

frontsfan2005
08-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Introducing the Quebec Jumping Frogs, the choice is between these two logos,

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060809.wFrogs0809/EmailBNStory/Sports/home

Unholy Diver
08-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I like the first one better

13Hockey
08-30-2006, 06:02 PM
the first one is much better

Duff88
08-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Pretty much everyone who has heard about them think this is the worst idea for a name ever...

Giving a team in Quebec the name "Frog"! :shakehead

And what is that supposed to be, "Kebekwa"? Are we dyslexics or what?

The Man in White
08-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Greg Sansone had the owner from the club on his show a couple of weeks ago. The guy sounds like an idiot. Greg kept asking him why he would name a team that and he kept responding with "it's a good marketing strategy". What a *********.

Shootmaster_44
08-31-2006, 06:45 AM
Greg Sansone had the owner from the club on his show a couple of weeks ago. The guy sounds like an idiot. Greg kept asking him why he would name a team that and he kept responding with "it's a good marketing strategy". What a *********.

I hate to say it but he's right. Controversy breeds interest in alot of cases. While I think both choices are stupid names, neither will be around very long with the ABA's track record. The ABA claims to be the fastest growing league in North America, however it is also the fastest shrinking league in North America.

Of the 47 teams that started the 2005-06 season, last year only 14 teams return, with a plethora of expansion teams thrown in, are scheduled to start the 2006-07 season. Also, anyone wanting to check out a certain visiting team, be aware that basically nobody knows what team will show up. The ABA is a very sad venture that features teams playing out of elementary schools, YMCA gyms and there was a rumor of one of the California teams awhile back holding their games on a streetball court in a park in LA. Last season it has teams refusing to travel to away games, 3 teams refused to take part in the playoffs.

It also has the carnival sideshow aspect too, the whole 13th Man concept is strange. All teams can carry a celeb as their 13th Man who can dress and actually play in a game. Seems to me I read that last season one team had 14 home games and 14 season ticket holders, so each season ticket holder got to be the 13th Man. So just remember support the Jumping Frogs or Kebekwa and you too could be an ABA player like Dr. J.

In addition to this, there were attempts at concept teams. The Gallup Tallons began last season as an all-Aboriginal team, the Vancouver, B.C. franchise in 2004 (that never saw the light of day) was supposed to be an all-Asian team. Last season saw a team kicked out of the Chinese Basketball Association play out of a warehouse in California. This season the Alexandria, Virginia franchise will at the very least feature some of Mongolia's finest ballers. Another team couldn't pay its players, so it recruited a bunch of high school seniors to form its team for free.

Let's also not forget the debacle two seasons ago in Little Rock, where the first female coach of a men's professional team was fired by the owner in the middle of a game for not benching their superstar. Apparently, the team had signed him to a ridiculously expensive contract and couldn't afford to play him. In the end it featured the female owner hitting the coach with her high heeled shoes and being dragged away by arena security. Lastly, the LA Aftershock featured a brother-sister act on its roster. The brother could only play home games as he was out on parole and the sister had washed out of the WNBA a few seasons back.

I'd be surprised if Quebec City lasts the season. The league won't die Joe Newman is smart in that he has so many teams lined up that if only a handful finish the season, that's more than most leagues have. Plus with a $10,000 expansion fee and no credit/financials check teams will exist for years to come. Only 9 US States have not had teams yet and 5 Canadian Provinces haven't had teams yet. I'm thinking its a matter of time before Saskatoon and Winnipeg are announced as expansion teams, only to see the ABA decide that in fact they're an expansion team for next season, as happened with the Ontario Red Wolves, who were to play in Missassauga this season and now apparently they will play in 2007.

If you want to check out this debacle head over to www.abalive.com and for lively discussions on the lovable deliusion of Uncle Joe check the boards at www.oursportscentral.com (help rejuvenate the hockey boards there too)

BraveSirRobin
08-31-2006, 01:37 PM
The first time I heard about this I thought it was a joke. Jumping Frogs? Wow, I don't see this team lasting very long in Quebec.

X0X0A0
08-31-2006, 08:16 PM
It is the ABA, the team will be lucky to make it to the halfway point of the season before folding.

dabid
08-31-2006, 09:28 PM
ABA is so over saturated, my home town has a team. And if you dont live in the state of Massachusetts, you wouldnt have known a clue about the town.

Shootmaster_44
09-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Has anyone every attended an ABA game? I'm curious as to what the calibre on the floor is. I know some leagues can be in shambles off the field but on the field the play is really good, kinda like the Canadian Baseball League was.