SJ gets a second rounder from Calgary for Kiprusoff(!)

c9orf
11-16-2003, 03:54 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/pcgi-bin/templates/sportsView.cgi?/news/2003/11/16/Sports/flames_Kiprusoff1116

I sincerely hope that we didn't pass up that offer, for either Boucher or Bierk. It would even be somewhat tempting for Burke, except for the fact that Calgary would never have taken his salary.

A Calgary 2nd rounder will be, what, the 35th pick? For a bum like Kiprusoff, that's a steal by SJ.

LaLaLaprise
11-16-2003, 04:45 PM
1) Kipprusoff isnt a bum

2) Calgary wont be that bad.

3) Kippy has more potential than either Bierk or Boucher so you probably wouldnt have gotten a 2nd rd pick.

steveburfoot
11-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Also I think a former coach acquiring a player who did well under him previously is bound to over pay slightly (apparently there was a study which shows you value either things you own or have owned over that which you have not) maybe he thought kipper would be gold with a change of scenery, time will tell

CoyoteBaloney
11-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Phoenix would give Boucher away for free. No way did we pass over that offer ... it was never offered to us.

It doesn't matter the potential of any goalie mentioned. Cechmanek, Hedberg and Kiprusoff have all been traded for a 2nd round pick in the past 5 or 6 months. Are you telling me Kiprusoff and Cechmanek have similar potential?

11-17-2003, 06:22 AM
It looks like the going rate for a good goaltender is about a 2nd round pick. I don't dare take that offer until the deadline if I have to. The market is surely better at that point, we might squeak out a 1st or 2nd and a prospect.

There seems to be some movement in the league now with Klemm going to Dallas, Kippy to Calgary, rumors persist of Parrish & Comrie being traded as well. We could see a little trade activity now before the Xmas freeze.

Gwyddbwyll
11-18-2003, 11:39 AM
1) Kipprusoff isnt a bum

I agree. Kip is yet another of those goalies with some talent who could turn it on.

2) Calgary wont be that bad.

Matter of opinion. As it stands they actually have the 34th pick.

3) Kippy has more potential than either Bierk or Boucher so you probably wouldnt have gotten a 2nd rd pick.

I dont think he has more potential. He's the same age and has done virtually the same, actually slightly worse in his 50 NHL games - 0.897 sv pct (vs .901 and .899) and 2.84 gaa (vs 3.18 and 2.64). And I may be wrong but I dont recall him ever being the hottest goalie in the league as both Bierk and Boucher have. Or playing his way into the team. Or going to the conference finals.

As CT said its unlikely we were offered the 2nd I agree. Calgary certainly wont take Boosh's salary while they have Turek. Bierk might be cheap enough for them but he's injured yet again.

MiketheCurler
11-20-2003, 12:37 PM
It was reported the Canucks had offered a 2nd rounder for Kiprusoff as well but was rejected in the off season, so they went with Hedberg.
Of course there is going to be a big difference (hopefully) in a Flames #2 than a Canucks #2.

the future
11-20-2003, 02:09 PM
not to be picky but it's a conditional 2nd or 3rd in 2005. so saying it's 34th or 35th is a moot point since next years draft isnt involved.