Gratton queston (from a B's fan)

bb_fan
11-17-2003, 06:35 AM
So i have heard on hear in a few spots that he is rumored to be on the block.

i always liked him and wouldnt mind seeing him in boston.

I dont often make trade proposals, so please dont flame this to badly,

But would a Zammuner and either Hilbert or Huml for Gratton be fair value wise and would it be a good fit at all for PHO?

If not, what would be?

11-17-2003, 07:25 AM
So i have heard on hear in a few spots that he is rumored to be on the block.

i always liked him and wouldnt mind seeing him in boston.

I dont often make trade proposals, so please dont flame this to badly,

But would a Zammuner and either Hilbert or Huml for Gratton be fair value wise and would it be a good fit at all for PHO?

If not, what would be?

I like the Hilbert or Huml part, but not so sure the team would care much for Zamuner.

Even though Gratton has contributed to the team, despite what some people seem to think, he could probably be had for just a solid prospect like that given the salary involved and our glut at center.

bb_fan
11-17-2003, 08:26 AM
I like the Hilbert or Huml part, but not so sure the team would care much for Zamuner.

Even though Gratton has contributed to the team, despite what some people seem to think, he could probably be had for just a solid prospect like that given the salary involved and our glut at center.

i'd love tobe able to unload either prospect (not my favorites, even though most people seem pretty high on them) and hilbert has been out with a groin, and huml with something, but if they were healthy and PHO was interested i'd do it for that little, hard to picture pho not wanting more though.

CoyoteBaloney
11-17-2003, 10:17 AM
I haven't heard a thing about Gratton rumoured to be traded. Not that I can't see him being dealt away. He carried a $2.2 million salary but he is the team's best face-off man and is playing a good defensive game and a decent offensive game this season. As I said in another post the Coyotes would have to recieve something significant for them to give up Gratton and weaken their face-off capabilities and remove a big-bodied center from their line-up.

PhoPhan
11-17-2003, 10:36 AM
I think Gratton for Zamuner and a prospect would be a good base to start, as Zamuner is a good defensive thirdline center, and could make up for what Gratton loses, but I'd like to see someone with a little more upside than Huml (maybe Zinovjev?).

bb_fan
11-17-2003, 10:46 AM
I think Gratton for Zamuner and a prospect would be a good base to start, as Zamuner is a good defensive thirdline center, and could make up for what Gratton loses, but I'd like to see someone with a little more upside than Huml (maybe Zinovjev?).

Hmm,i think from a Boston point of view Zino and Zamo would be be to much.

I think management is much higher of Zino than humul or hilbert (when healthy) and they havent yet really had a chance to see how good he can be just yet.

But with no room in the lineup at the moment fro Zino, something has to go give i think.

Hordichuk_24
11-17-2003, 10:47 AM
I would rather keep Gratton. If we could find someone else to move instead them I might be for it.

DesertDawg
11-17-2003, 11:01 AM
the only way Gratton goes to the B's is if Samsonov was part of the deal! The Coyote's will only deal if it means inproving the roster and they already have depth so they can trade (a package of players) from their strengths and bring in another sniper... the Coyote's are not trying to reduce payroll, that is something they already did during the off season...

_Del_
11-17-2003, 12:16 PM
the only way Gratton goes to the B's is if Samsonov was part of the deal! The Coyote's will only deal if it means inproving the roster and they already have depth so they can trade (a package of players) from their strengths and bring in another sniper... the Coyote's are not trying to reduce payroll, that is something they already did during the off season...

That's simply not true. First, the Coyotes, like most everyteam in the league, are definately looking to trim salary. How much and who is always debateable, but they are not in good financial shape at all -- despite high hopes for the new arena.
Secondly, there are numerous assets from Boston that would be capable of landing Gratton apart from Samsonov, which would be foolish from a Bruin's POV.
I've always been a Zamuner fan, but don't think he's a good fit for a Gratton move. Huml and Hilbert are more suspects than prospects. Having said that, there are other guys to be added -- and I wouldn't hold my breath for Rolston either. At this point, I can see a deadline deal(s) that ship out established talent for picks and prospects.

While what you said sounds great as a fan, and no doubt reflects what you'd like to see, it simply doesn't reflect the reality of PHX's situation.

CoyoteBaloney
11-17-2003, 02:00 PM
I don't think the Coyotes will weaken their starting line-up to save less than $2 million ... and at this point of the season the savings might be more like $1 million.

If a deal doesn't improve the Coyotes roster, they won't deal at this time unless it involves one of the 2 players that still get paid a good salary for the rest of the season (Burke or Savage) or Boucher .. .the Coyotes would let Boucher go for a song right now if it meant not paying him his salary.

bb_fan
11-18-2003, 11:56 AM

Cant see Samsonov invloved in any deal surrounding Gratton........

Gwyddbwyll
11-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Doesn't Zamuner make about $2M himself and just returning from some serious injuries? I cant see him being very attractive to the Coyotes especially when they wouldnt save any money in the deal.

My guess is Barnett would try to get Boynton as he supposedly did in exchange for Burke. He could have settled for Hilbert or Huml but there was no indication of interest. I'd be wary of Huml's continual returns to the AHL.