After 20 mins, Eager 1G, 1A

hbk
11-17-2003, 03:03 PM
As part of Team OHL against the Russian Selects. OHL team is physically dominating and the Russians only have six shots (very, very few of them being legitimate scoring chances).

Eager hitting everything and everyone. He hits very hard. Playing with Anthony Stewart and Mike Richards. He doesn't look out of place.

PhoPhan
11-17-2003, 03:29 PM
As part of Team OHL against the Russian Selects. OHL team is physically dominating and the Russians only have six shots (very, very few of them being legitimate scoring chances).

Eager hitting everything and everyone. He hits very hard. Playing with Anthony Stewart and Mike Richards. He doesn't look out of place.

He is a train.

hbk
11-17-2003, 03:55 PM
after 40 minutes. Eager has 2 goals and an assist to go along with his 2 PIM. He's making a strong statement about making Team Canada for the World Junior Championship. He also probably just earned himself a contract from the Coyotes.

In terms of style of play. Take the grit of Roenick, speed of Nagy, and toughness of Brad May. He's the type of player you want on your team. He's playing awesome tonight.

PhoPhan
11-17-2003, 05:09 PM
I hate to judge a player on one performance (read: Gelech) but a game like this is huge. Hopefully he can continue at this pace for a while.

hbk
11-17-2003, 05:17 PM
yes. i agree.

don't read my enthusiasm as an indication that he's going to be a superstar. the description of Eager has always been Brad May with better skating. it fits. it was just encouraging to see his style of play. it's an NHL style.

ps he was named Team OHL Player of the Game.

Greg
11-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Not to downplay Eager's game, but reading posts at NOOF it seems like a pee-wee girls team could have beaten the sorry excuse for a team the Russians sent. If anything though, I hope this raised awareness of Eager for Blair Mackasey and Team Canada.

steveburfoot
11-17-2003, 05:53 PM
At least Eager was selected for the team, which has to be good, another good indicator could be how much ice time he gets and what situations he got to play in

hbk
11-18-2003, 03:29 AM
Not to downplay Eager's game, but reading posts at NOOF it seems like a pee-wee girls team could have beaten the sorry excuse for a team the Russians sent. If anything though, I hope this raised awareness of Eager for Blair Mackasey and Team Canada.

very poor Russian team no question. they were not without skill though and the important thing to note is the physical pressure did not allow the Russians to play their style of game and when they couldn't play a skill game they had absolutely nothing to fall back on.

Just nice to see Eager play and play well. It reaffirms his position in our top 10 prospects and likely bodes well for a future contract. Hopefully it helps him get selected for the World Junior team. That's all that can be taken away from this game in good conscience.