GDT: vs Islanders

justapantherfan
11-19-2003, 03:13 AM
Well with a loss to the Thrashers we should take a win out of the Island!!!!

Well any news on who will be missing tonights game?

Clint
11-19-2003, 04:20 AM
Well with a loss to the Thrashers we should take a win out of the Island!!!!

Well any news on who will be missing tonights game?
This morning the Herald Said that Kozlov will be back in the lineup!!! Hopefully he'll give Olli that scoring spark he's been kinda missing.

justapantherfan
11-19-2003, 05:28 AM
I read that Darcy will be out 4-6 weeks now, since an xray was done and the injury was worse then they thought. OK why didn't the first xray show that? Sometimes I wonder about the people they send our guys too.

Acadmus
11-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Here's a missive from the cynic in me...

look for the Islanders to be given 10-15 power plays tonight while still playing physical hockey, ultimately winning 5-1 or something like that.
Here's why (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/panthers/sfl-panther19nov19,0,6181469.story?coll=sfla-sports-panthers) .

We all know how the refs are calling Panthers games these days. What's good for the goose ain't allowed for a Panther.

Captain8
11-19-2003, 08:13 AM
Here's a missive from the cynic in me...

look for the Islanders to be given 10-15 power plays tonight while still playing physical hockey, ultimately winning 5-1 or something like that.
Here's why (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/panthers/sfl-panther19nov19,0,6181469.story?coll=sfla-sports-panthers) .

We all know how the refs are calling Panthers games these days. What's good for the goose ain't allowed for a Panther.

One of the top priorities for the revamped coached staff should be cutting down the PIMs, which will eventually get the refs off their back.

The lack of discipline was so glaring under Keenan that Dudley has no excuse for letting it continue.

Jeff Shafer
11-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Kozlov will be back!!!!!!! Biron and Lijia might play as well...... :handclap:

GO PANTHERS

Heimy
11-19-2003, 11:52 AM
We all know what they're thinking on the island...that the Panthers should be an easy 2 points. That the Cats are soft and quit when the going gets tough. That they can just push our guys around and they'll wilt under the pressure....and going on what we've seen so far they're right :(

Let's go kittycats!!! :mad:

patastrophe
11-19-2003, 05:18 PM
i'm listening to this game on internet radio...does it look as bad as it sounds???

PantherBlood6*
11-19-2003, 05:39 PM
i'm listening to this game on internet radio...does it look as bad as it sounds???

Yes it does...

4-1 now...This team has no heart in its play what so ever. Whoever thought this team was anywhere similar to the Marlins story, you couldn't be any further from the truth.

evildreams
11-19-2003, 06:06 PM
This team is pathetic; it's as though they learn nothing from their accomplishments (i.e. game vs. TPB). when the organization is ran in an unprofessional manner (i.e. the debacle of a relationship between cohen/dudley/keenan from start to finish) and there is lack of urgency to seek a fulltime replacement for these guys based on the addition of a small amount of money (relative to play salaries), the whole fiasco just trickles down to the product on the ice. i guess when no one expects anything of them, and i do mean the local media and fans, then the players perform accordingly. i have zero confidence of this franchise doing anything while cohen and his buddies run the franchise; heck, even jeffrey loria spent a bit to win.

Heimy
11-19-2003, 06:29 PM
This is unwatchable!

Exactly what kind of system is this anyway? All I see is our defensemen backing into our zone over and over, NEVER stepping into their man. Even when our D is in the opponent's end they're not pinching or even positioned so as to keep the puck in the zone. They're positioned way back near center ice. Do they need to get a head start on backing in? Ridiculous!!

And what's with the passing? How many times did you see a forward recieving a pass with his back facing the direction he's needs to be going over these last 4 games? That's a great idea! Let's take any speed out of this equation. Horrible!

I was gonna wait another 5-10 games before I posted anything negative but this is UNACCEPTABLE! I'm going to go watch the SeaCows play some real hockey instead of this non-contact crap!

MoeHowardDavid
11-19-2003, 06:50 PM
It seemed like the Panthers gave up after it was 2-1. There was absolutely no urgency and even on power play opportunities they weren't applying any pressure. :shakehead

Atleast Luongo made some great saves on breakaways and on that penalty shot. The four goals were obviously not entirely his fault.

FlaPanthers7
11-19-2003, 06:58 PM
This was utterly disgusting hockey tonight. Players were AFRAID to check a team that's notorious for shrinking when playing against harder checking teams. The effort wasn't there, the intensity wasn't there...even our checkers looked soft.

I can't believe this was a home game... :shakehead

evildreams
11-19-2003, 06:58 PM
This is unwatchable!

Exactly what kind of system is this anyway? All I see is our defensemen backing into our zone over and over, NEVER stepping into their man. Even when our D is in the opponent's end they're not pinching or even positioned so as to keep the puck in the zone. They're positioned way back near center ice. Do they need to get a head start on backing in? Ridiculous!!

And what's with the passing? How many times did you see a forward recieving a pass with his back facing the direction he's needs to be going over these last 4 games? That's a great idea! Let's take any speed out of this equation. Horrible!

I was gonna wait another 5-10 games before I posted anything negative but this is UNACCEPTABLE! I'm going to go watch the SeaCows play some real hockey instead of this non-contact crap!

i am really hoping for the worst for this franchise this season; how else should we expect serious change to be brought about?

PanthersRule96
11-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Just think how good we'll be WHEN we get Ovechkin. Our luck is that we'll actually finish dead last and loose the lottery for once. Dudley must be targeting Ovechkin.

Jones23
11-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Players were AFRAID to check a team that's notorious for shrinking when playing against harder checking teams.

Isles are a harder checking team!...If anything Isles are notorious of playing down to their competition.

m2k2p
11-19-2003, 10:46 PM
I wish I would of stayed home tonight, this was a pathetic display by the Panthers tonight. I will give the Isles credit they are turning into a really good team, but the lack of effort and poor defense is unacceptable. I had great seats too...what a waste.

justapantherfan
11-20-2003, 03:16 AM
I thought I was going to see a hockey game last night. I had to check my tickets because I thought I was watching Disney on Ice. That was one of the worst games I had to watch this year.

Acadmus
11-20-2003, 05:11 AM
Somebody needs to show the Panthers all the posts in this thread plus the new "Ovechkin Race" thread ED started to let them know what their own fans think of their recent play. No more excuses or whining. Their killing NHL hockey in south Florida playing like this.

Dudley needs to hire a real coach, real soon, too. If what people in this thread noticed about the D is part of Dudley's coaching strategy, he's obviously trying to implement his own version of a Lemaire-style trap system, the kind a low-talent, hard-checking team uses. This team, however, is exactly the opposite of that.

I am Jack's Fish
11-20-2003, 06:35 AM
Remember folks, the Miami Manatees play next Wed at 7:05.

The overall high-end talent might not be the level as the Panthers, but the effort, heart, and production is hands down much more of a value than other sources of high priced entertainment in this town.

Acadmus
11-20-2003, 06:56 AM
As for related teams, at least San Antonio is doing well at 9-3-2-0. Maybe the Panthers should switch teams.

Captain8
11-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Somebody needs to show the Panthers all the posts in this thread plus the new "Ovechkin Race" thread ED started to let them know what their own fans think of their recent play. No more excuses or whining. Their killing NHL hockey in south Florida playing like this.

Dudley needs to hire a real coach, real soon, too. If what people in this thread noticed about the D is part of Dudley's coaching strategy, he's obviously trying to implement his own version of a Lemaire-style trap system, the kind a low-talent, hard-checking team uses. This team, however, is exactly the opposite of that.

Dudley mentioned that he's trying to put multiple systems in place, which I interpret as both a passive and and aggressive forecheck, or trap, if you will. As we know, the ideal time to do that is during training camp. During the regular season, throwing a lot of new stuff at players leads to indecisiveness and hesitation as players try to adapt.

One thing that suprised me last night was Dudley's generous allocation of minutes to Biron. The guy has been out a long time and looked average at best even when he was healthy. Watching him scramble and fumble the puck for 19 minutes was grating. And in fairness to him, the new system was another obstacle for him to deal with.

As we watch the Panthers struggle, though, let's remember that we asked for this -- many championed a youth movement and wanted a teacher to coach it. Now we are getting it in some form, however imperfect it may be at the moment. Switching to the first person, I never felt that this team was talented enough to turn on a dime and I never felt that Dudley was accurate in gauging its level of talent. Now I'm glad the burden is on his shoulders. If he succeeds, fine. If he finds he can't succeed, maybe he'll finally realize that a new mix of players is needed and push for changes, as he did when he pushed Keenan out.

FlaPanthers7
11-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Believe me I give credit to the Isles, they played their arses off and checked the heck out of the Panther forwards. Was it just me or did anyone else see the talent gap between our two teams? To me it was pretty obvious. You've got a rookie in Hunter who nets 2 goals, a guy who's playing his first game since being called up who scores a goal (Timander), and just overall a better team effort. That's a prime example of other guys chipping in, not just the stars scoring. I give the Isles their kudos for last night's win. :handclap:

But more importantly to me are questions like: Where was Huselius last night? Where was Jokinen? Kozlov I can cut a little slack, it is his first game back from injury to give him the benefit of the doubt. Where are our third and fourth liners??? Besides the goal from Horton they are NOT producing. Weiss and Bure were shut down by the Isles checking, and that's going to happen some games. That's when the other boys need to step up and play to, for example, the Isles' INTENSITY.

I saw no urgency from the Panthers last night despite all the talk about it's win now or it'll be too late later. The Isles are a good team, but certainly not an elite team. I think the lack of consistency, even before Keenan's system was junked, will continue to plague the Panthers until certain moves are made. In the end, whatever system is in place, it comes down to players playing hockey. There are some players that are being relied on to produce that simply are not producing consistently enough to make this team well rounded and a threat every night on the ice.

Interesting that Dudley is meeting with GM's that are looking to make moves...there may be hope yet! ;)

sting_fan
11-20-2003, 11:29 AM
But more importantly to me are questions like: Where was Huselius last night? Where was Jokinen? Kozlov I can cut a little slack, it is his first game back from injury to give him the benefit of the doubt. Where are our third and fourth liners??? Besides the goal from Horton they are NOT producing. Weiss and Bure were shut down by the Isles checking, and that's going to happen some games. That's when the other boys need to step up and play to, for example, the Isles' INTENSITY.

The fourth line did their job, IMO. They went out there and created some scoring oppertunities. They were the only Panthers line that was even on the night. The third line was never given an oppertunity to make a difference. Dudley is very much different then Keenan in that respect; he doesn't use his lower lines as much.

I thought Kozlov played OK, especially considering the circumstances. Jokinen looked lost. Hagman didn't do anything, good or bad, that really made him standout. Weiss looked like the same kid we watched last season. Bure continues to play keep-away with himself. Skates round and round until someone touches him and he looses the puck. And Huselius'; other then a couple games this season, he's a non-factor. And speaking of non-factors, where has Marcus Nilson run off to?

rmp
11-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Isn't Weiss playing injured with some groin or shoulder problem?

Captain8
11-20-2003, 12:32 PM
The fourth line did their job, IMO. They went out there and created some scoring oppertunities. They were the only Panthers line that was even on the night. The third line was never given an oppertunity to make a difference. Dudley is very much different then Keenan in that respect; he doesn't use his lower lines as much.

I thought Kozlov played OK, especially considering the circumstances. Jokinen looked lost. Hagman didn't do anything, good or bad, that really made him standout. Weiss looked like the same kid we watched last season. Bure continues to play keep-away with himself. Skates round and round until someone touches him and he looses the puck. And Huselius'; other then a couple games this season, he's a non-factor. And speaking of non-factors, where has Marcus Nilson run off to?

I wonder how long Dudley waits before shopping Huselius. I've been a past supporter, thinking in terms of Elias or a poor man's Naslund. But all I see right now is a one-dimensional player playing at half-speed most of the time.

This is another case of deciding whether to believe if Dudley's platitudes and hype. Hopefully, his thinking is more sober than his quotes.

Pigge
11-20-2003, 04:00 PM
I wonder how long Dudley waits before shopping Huselius. I've been a past supporter, thinking in terms of Elias or a poor man's Naslund. But all I see right now is a one-dimensional player playing at half-speed most of the time.
It took Naslund and Elias four full seasons to really get settled in the league. It might take about the same or longer for Huselius, depending on when the Panthers get some sort of consistency with the coaching and system. He needs to get used to the league mentally and physically, which just takes time.

Captain8
11-21-2003, 08:05 AM
It took Naslund and Elias four full seasons to really get settled in the league. It might take about the same or longer for Huselius, depending on when the Panthers get some sort of consistency with the coaching and system. He needs to get used to the league mentally and physically, which just takes time.

No disputing your point, although my issue is with his work ethic and desire to compete. The numbers would be a lesser concern if those elements were present.

evildreams
11-21-2003, 10:28 AM

Elias began play in North America at 19. Arrived at age 23.

Naslund began play in North America at 20. Arrived at 25.

Huselius began play in North America at age 23. Now 25 and seems to have regressed.

*arrived=first pt/gm season or 30/30 season