Joe Girardi Fired

David Puddy
10-03-2006, 02:00 PM
The Florida Marlins have fired Manager Joe Girardi, as many expected. It is a really foolish move if you ask me, and I suspect many view this move in the same regard.

LINK (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2521568)

Ar-too
10-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Foolish is a kind word.

Bruinaholic
10-03-2006, 02:38 PM
The powers that be of the Marlins are a ****in joke....
I really dont think they deserve to have a franchise and the fans down there deserve a better group from top to bottom(and a real baseball park).

Ar-too
10-03-2006, 02:45 PM
...the fans down there deserve a better group from top to bottom(and a real baseball park).

I agree with the other parts of what you said, but what makes you say this? The fans have shown very little interest in baseball, for obvious reasons: there's better things to do in Miami.

GKJ
10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Its just Jeffrey Loria sabotaging another team.

Bruinaholic
10-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree with the other parts of what you said, but what makes you say this? The fans have shown very little interest in baseball, for obvious reasons: there's better things to do in Miami.

How can they get attached to the team and its players when its a revolving door....Pudge Rodriguez was a phenom down there for the year he was there and after they win the world series...c ya
They were bent when Sheffield was shipped off in the late 90's as a part of the 1st of 2 house cleanings of World Series Championship Teams.
Also Dolphin Stadium is not the place to have 81 home games....Josh Beckett said it best in an interview i saw this weekend where he said Miami needs a retractable roof stadium "its kind of hard to enjoy a game in a place(as a fan)that rains every day at 4 or 5 in the afternoon and where the humidity is intense....you have to be enibriated beyond belief to sit there and watch a game"
I laughed my *** off when he actaully said the enibriated beyond belief part.

I bet almost anything that if the City,state and team came together and agreed on a fair deal for a 37-40,000 seat retractable roof stadium in a little better area for 325$-350$million and the team spent 55-70$ on salaries and had an ownership group w/ a little direction and a half a brain the Marlins would be a huge success...even if it meant moving a little ways out of Miami...i remember reading Fort Lauderale or even Orlando?(kinda far from Miami) were places that were interested

Fish on The Sand
10-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't see how anybody could like this move unless they are a Cubs fan.

Bruinaholic
10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't see how anybody could like this move unless they are a Cubs fan.

Hes gonna be such a good fit there, Baker i always thought was overrated.
I dont like Girardis hard *** persona insisting on curfews and no facail hair but the Marlins where probably the only team in the game where this wouldnt be a problem w/ all the players being young and wet behind the ears..
I cant see Aramis Ramirez(assuming hes there),Derek Lee and Jacque Jones among many vets taking this from a manager but well see how things shake out

KH1
10-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Unbelievable. Loria is to baseball what Charles Wang is to hockey--take over the operation of the team like you know what you're doing and then fire anybody who argues. At least Wang spends money on the Isles though.

NYYmt62
10-03-2006, 11:49 PM
This is a joke. Look what he did with an $18mil payroll. Selig should have stepped in and did something about this. Loria will line his pockets with the money from revenue sharing and really not care what his baseball team looks like for as long as he can.

frontsfan2005
10-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Girardi to the Cubs for sure

HajdukSplit
10-04-2006, 06:28 AM
dumb move, and even worse they hire their new manager shortly after. He will most likely be going to the Cubs but I heard Lou Pinella wants to come back to manage and the Cubs are interested in him too

Dr Love
10-04-2006, 07:30 AM
How can they get attached to the team and its players when its a revolving door....Pudge Rodriguez was a phenom down there for the year he was there and after they win the world series...c ya

And the year he was there the fans were so enthused that the 119 loss Tigers drew more fans than they did.

They were bent when Sheffield was shipped off in the late 90's as a part of the 1st of 2 house cleanings of World Series Championship Teams.

In '97 they were 5th in the NL in attendance.

Now, the stadium is not condusive to a large draw, and a retractable dome would certainly help, but the Marlins have never drawn. They've drawn over 3 million fans once, and that was their first year.

BuppY
10-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Is Girardi to cubs for sure?

Dogbert*
10-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I guess the only question that remains is this: once Loria's finished destroying his second team, where does he go? I'm sure that Selig harbours ill will towards Minnesota for foiling his contraction scheme, so maybe we'll see the Twins' ownership decide to sell all of a sudden.

Voice of Reason
10-05-2006, 09:51 AM
The buzz was that, despite the one incident with Joe yelling at Loria during a game, he's a little bit of a Nazi and kind of a d**k. At least that's what I read on msnbc.com.

TheDanceOfMaternity
10-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Oh, come on. The combined payroll is like 14 million, and you can the manager when they almost ended at .500?

KH1
10-08-2006, 12:47 PM
The buzz was that, despite the one incident with Joe yelling at Loria during a game, he's a little bit of a Nazi and kind of a d**k. At least that's what I read on msnbc.com.
Who the hell cares if Girardi is a jerk to the front office? Those players would go to the end of the earth for him, and he was an excellent game coach--what more could you ask for from a manager?

robert terwilliger
10-08-2006, 04:55 PM
well, the marlins will be awful next year and girardi won't be out of work for long.

i don't like the yankees, but if they're considering lou pinella over girardi, they're passing thai sticks around those offices.

Gibsons Finest
10-08-2006, 08:24 PM
It's almost as if the movie Major League came to life, only as the Marlins instead of the Indians, and instead of moving to Miami, they want to move from Miami. Loria completely cleans house, trading every skill player except Cabrera(and there were rumors that he wanted to trade him, too) for prospects, and lowering the payroll to less than what A-Rod makes. Then, Girardi leads this team of youngsters to near .500 season, which in some peoples' eyes makes him a MoY candidate, and they fire him? Ridiculous. Either Loria is so messed up that he expected a team with a $18 million payroll to make the playoffs or finish .500, or, he really hates this team. What happens next? The Marlins nearly do it all again, so this time he trades guys like Cabrera, Willis, and such to other teams for AA prospects?

robert terwilliger
10-08-2006, 09:31 PM
well, to stick with your 'major league' theme, the marlins are sold in the offseason and the new owner makes a splash by signing barry bonds. he eventually goes broke paying the salary and expenses for the team, so he sells bonds to the braves for an average left-fielder and ultimately is forced to sell the team back to loria, who makes the marlins' lives a living hell. meanwhile, dontrelle willis becomes obsessed with his image and starts wearing nice suits and not throwing the ball as hard so as not to end his career. the new manager has a heart attack and is replaced by joe borowski, who leads the team into the playoffs and a showdown with bonds and the braves. a resurgent dontrelle willis comes out of the pen and blows bonds away with a 102mph fastball to end the game and the series, sending the marlins to the world series.