Kobe Bryant

12# Peter Bondra
10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I saw that he was drafted as a 18 year old in 1996 and went to play right away in the NBA.

I was looking at a couple of other players and saw they were drafted when they were 20, 21 etc years old. Kobe being drafted so young, was there any shock he was chosen that soon? Also being a 18 year old in the NBA, was there lots of hype around him due to him not going to college?

Ar-too
10-04-2006, 02:04 PM
There wasn't any shock. He came into the league right around the same time as Kevin Garnett (drafted straight after high school at 18), Tracy MacGrady (drafted straight after high school at 18), and a few others. There was hype, but nowhere near what we've seen regarding Lebron "King" James (drafted straight after high school at 18). Lebron's delivered so far, not on a Tiger Woods hype/delivery ratio, but way up there anyways.

Russian_fanatic
10-12-2006, 07:01 PM
When Lebron was drafted NO ONE expected him to be this good this quick. Most people expected him to average 13 PPG as a high schooler which IMO is still special for someone coming out of high school. Lebron played it smart, and built his body starting in grade 9 or so I heard. Lebron came into the league as a man child, built like a running back.

Kobe wasn't expected to be Kobe when drafted. He was suppose to be good, but to my knowledge I don't think many people expected 20+ PPG out of him. His real developement came, when people doubted him after his rookie year, and he proved them wrong.

took420s
10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
The reason why there was little national hype for KB was that he was only drafted #13...and if you see pictures of him at the time he was really scrawny. The guy looked like a kid, unlike LBJ who looked like a grown man at 18.

But believe me...There was hype here in LA, afterall we traded Vlade Divacs in his prime for KB and that was when Shaq was still unsigned so it looked like a huge gamble to the fans (even though insiders say Snaq knew he was coming to the Lakers the year before). I saw KObe play in Long Beach at his first summer pro league and the hype was huge...and he did not dissapoint, looking very poised and blowing by many seasoned college players.

Another point is that Kobe was not born and raised in the "hood" like many other NBA players. He basically grew up in Italy and when he did come to the US he played for a high school prep school in Philly, not an inner city school. His upbringing alienated him from many other "regular" kids his age and is why I think there was just not the same hype that surrounded Lebronze.

Go Lakers:yo:

Russian_fanatic
10-17-2006, 09:20 PM
^^^

I'd like to know something... why did you say Lebronze? Where was Carmelo on that WBC Team? How about Wade? It's not Lebron James fault that they lost. He wasn't used right, he was used as a playmaker when he should have been used as an all around offensive player. Team USA looked its most dangerous when the offense ran through Lebron.

Lebron is the last person to blame, because he was 3rd in PPG, 2nds in APG, and 1st in RPG. He was the best all around player for team usa. Wade, and Carmelo where better scorers though.

took420s
10-18-2006, 02:35 PM
^^^

I'd like to know something... why did you say Lebronze? Where was Carmelo on that WBC Team? How about Wade? It's not Lebron James fault that they lost. He wasn't used right, he was used as a playmaker when he should have been used as an all around offensive player. Team USA looked its most dangerous when the offense ran through Lebron.

Lebron is the last person to blame, because he was 3rd in PPG, 2nds in APG, and 1st in RPG. He was the best all around player for team usa. Wade, and Carmelo where better scorers though.

Don't get me wrong...I love Lebronze, but there is a concensus in the media that he is the best player on the planet right now and the best player on the planet should not let his team loose to Greece period.

You're right, I think Lebronze was the best player on team USA...only because of Kobe's knee surgery. Just like Kobe does...when a Lebronze led USA team looses he deserves to take the heat and if he can't then he is not a true leader. Kobe simply would not have let us lose to Grece...no way.

And don't get me started about D Wade...dude was exposed in international play, where the refs were not there to bail him out of every drive to the lane. No what that team needed was a true LEADER...and to me Lebronze is just not on Kobe's level yet...nobody is.

So is it a little mean to call Lebron Lebronze? Probably, but Kobe deals with much worse hate and only gets better year after year. Lets see how Lebronze, Wade, and Melo respond once they have a real general leading them into battle in 2008.