youtube took down Gonzo's 2001 game 7 game winner

Fish on The Sand
10-06-2006, 02:09 AM
how sad. I watched a video clip from mlbs archives but it wasn't as good as the youtube version. To see grown men practically cry tears of joy while other grown men and former champions cried tears of despair is a memory one never forgets. To see Paul O'neil hunched over the dugout rail like that was very telling. Here is a manwho won 4 of the last 5 world series, and played through his own father's death to win one of them and here he is looking as though his soul was ripped out of his body. If the niners had lost to the chargers 12 years ago I don't think you would have seen Jerry Rice act the same way. That's what separates baseball from the other sports. There is a passion to win the world series that burns like no other sport. The next closest would be the stanley cup playoffs, but baseballis a little different. You have guys setting home run records and not even talking about it because they want to win.(Barry Bonds). You have a man who is physically disabled and can barely walk doing anything he can, even if it means following the team city to city out of his own pocket.(Jeff Bagwell). You have managers who have been around for years humbled after finally winning.(Jim Leyland). You have a national government step in to avert a strike that could cancel the world series. You have a national government order baseball to continue playing during a war, and you see a nation rally around baseball during a terrorist attack. The tradition of baseball dwarves that of any other sport, and that boils over into the world series.

coyoteshockeyfan
10-06-2006, 02:19 AM
YouTube doesn't have the clip any more? Why?

Fish on The Sand
10-06-2006, 02:20 AM
YouTube doesn't have the clip any more? Why?

I don't know. They have the 2002 celebration, and Dubya throwing out the first pitch for game 1. Whoever had it up must have removed it.

Dolemite
10-06-2006, 03:17 AM
how sad. I watched a video clip from mlbs archives but it wasn't as good as the youtube version. To see grown men practically cry tears of joy while other grown men and former champions cried tears of despair is a memory one never forgets. To see Paul O'neil hunched over the dugout rail like that was very telling. Here is a manwho won 4 of the last 5 world series, and played through his own father's death to win one of them and here he is looking as though his soul was ripped out of his body. If the niners had lost to the chargers 12 years ago I don't think you would have seen Jerry Rice act the same way. That's what separates baseball from the other sports. There is a passion to win the world series that burns like no other sport. The next closest would be the stanley cup playoffs, but baseballis a little different. You have guys setting home run records and not even talking about it because they want to win.(Barry Bonds). You have a man who is physically disabled and can barely walk doing anything he can, even if it means following the team city to city out of his own pocket.(Jeff Bagwell). You have managers who have been around for years humbled after finally winning.(Jim Leyland). You have a national government step in to avert a strike that could cancel the world series. You have a national government order baseball to continue playing during a war, and you see a nation rally around baseball during a terrorist attack. The tradition of baseball dwarves that of any other sport, and that boils over into the world series.

They probably didn't get express written consent from the Mafia....er MLB.

David Puddy
10-06-2006, 03:23 PM
They probably didn't get express written consent ...I think that they only had implied verbal consent.

88Bottles
10-06-2006, 05:56 PM

The reason there is more passion involved in baseball is because, unlike other sports, the fact that only 8 teams total make it to the playoffs, allows for a high percentage of failure throughout ones career, especially if it is spent with one team that continues to lose, therefore when you win, there is a higher feeling of achievement because you worked longer to get there. The road to the world series, let alone the playoffs, is a much tougher one in baseball.

The other reason is that baseball players spend a lot more time in the minor leagues, or up and down.

lux_interior
10-07-2006, 09:05 PM
I think that they only had implied verbal consent.

Or implied verbal "go along with it".