GDT: vs Thrashers

justapantherfan
11-21-2003, 03:09 AM
Well maybe we can redeem ourselves tonight. I really am getting tired of us losing and getting pushed around.

It's about time we got some people that like to push back. With Darcy out and no other real tough guy it's about time we bring up Grant or Jeff Paul.

Oh well.

Hey Acadums maybe you should predict us to win tonight. :D

Acadmus
11-21-2003, 04:50 AM
Hey Acadums maybe you should predict us to win tonight. :D

I'm going to...everything's come together so my wife and I can buy our condo today and move this weekend as expected (there were doubts raised regarding the presence of the seller/builder at the scheduled time), so I'm in a good, optimistic mood, and ready to predict good fortune ;)

So...

The Panthers, sick of losing, put a drubbing on the Atlanta players. They're kept in the game only through goaltending, but the kittycats become Panthers tonight (not permanently, but for tonight :) ) and win 4-1. Luongo holds the shutout until the 7:18 mark of the third period. (I need a swami smiley here). Thrashers bodies will be flying everywhere - even Viktor Kozlov will be getting physical (though he'll be protecting his face).

How's that?:)

justapantherfan
11-21-2003, 05:51 AM
Awsome!!!! You got me all pumped up to go to the game NOW! :handclap:

And hope everything goes well with the new place. :)

Thewbacca
11-21-2003, 03:50 PM
1-0, Atlanta, McEachern skates around the Panther zone untouched.

m2k2p
11-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Kovalchuk you ****ing coward! Attacking Nilson from behind. I wish Hordichuk was out there tonight, but I am sure Marcus will get some revenge later.

Rattrick
11-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Kovalchuk you ****ing coward! Attacking Nilson from behind. I wish Hordichuk was out there tonight, but I am sure Marcus will get some revenge later.

He should have been ejected for that, dirty ass peice of garbage. But it's okay because the Panthers suck anyway.

Thewbacca
11-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Panther commentators are saying that these goals allowed are strange but I just think they are pathetic. I am starting to wish we got some Tampa Bay games down here thats how pathetic the play has been. Two shorthanded goals and the first I think was a pritty weak breakaway goal.

Rattrick
11-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Panther commentators are saying that these goals allowed are strange but I just think they are pathetic. I am starting to wish we got some Tampa Bay games down here thats how pathetic the play has been. Two shorthanded goals and the first I think was a pritty weak breakaway goal.

The first was bad luck -- Bure broke his stick trying to shoot the puck from the point. The second was a horrible rebound by Luongo.

m2k2p
11-21-2003, 05:22 PM
The first was bad luck -- Bure broke his stick trying to shoot the puck from the point. The second was a horrible rebound by Luongo.

I would'nt really fault Luongo for the goals except that last shorthanded one with the bad rebound. Pathetic team defense and lack of intensity mostly. Thanks goes out to Majesky though, nice shot :)

Rattrick
11-21-2003, 05:39 PM
This team is just so disoriented. They don't shoot when they need to, they can't get their power play setup, they hold on to the puck too long and they keep trying this dump and chase crap which I have yet to see work.

m2k2p
11-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Another pathetic display. Now Messier is injured. I don't think I am gonna waste anymore text on this team tonight.

sting_fan
11-21-2003, 06:33 PM
The second shorthanded goal was devasting. It was nothing more then a complete lack of effort on Bure's part. He justed glided into the zone and watched as Sutton jumped on the puck and buried it.

evildreams
11-21-2003, 07:53 PM
i continue to hope for the worst for this team as far as the onice product is concerned. cohen NEEDS to feel the hurt; he needs to hurt in ticket sales and learn that he MUST invest in this team before the fan. folks, these loses are a good thing; management/ownership can't keep buffering the fans with sporadic wins. it is great to see this team lose; this is the only way change is to come about.

Rattrick
11-21-2003, 08:17 PM
i continue to hope for the worst for this team as far as the onice product is concerned. cohen NEEDS to feel the hurt; he needs to hurt in ticket sales and learn that he MUST invest in this team before the fan. folks, these loses are a good thing; management/ownership can't keep buffering the fans with sporadic wins. it is great to see this team lose; this is the only way change is to come about.

Thanks for the support ED, it means a lot to us fans who actually care about this team. http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/angryfire.gif

evildreams
11-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the support ED, it means a lot to us fans who actually care about this team. http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/angryfire.gif

i care, and if you did as well you'd understand my point; evidentally you don't (nor would i expect you too)

I am Jack's Fish
11-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Don't forget ladies and gentlemen, the Manatees play on Wed night at the Miami Arena!

Yeah, the Panthers play the same night against the Rangers, but if you are going to spend money on some tickets to see a hockey game, come see the Manatees...

also, the Manatees gad for the 2nd week in a row a "Player of the Week" in the WHA2. This week was Oak Hewer, who was originally drfated by the TB Lightning, and he is a big mobile power-forward with a soft set of hands.

That is my .02 cents!

Bummer of a loss by the Panthers, eh?

MoeHowardDavid
11-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Going to the draft lottery again wouldn't hurt, especially if we nab Ovechkin.

evildreams
11-21-2003, 09:22 PM
Don't forget ladies and gentlemen, the Manatees play on Wed night at the Miami Arena!

Yeah, the Panthers play the same night against the Rangers, but if you are going to spend money on some tickets to see a hockey game, come see the Manatees...

also, the Manatees gad for the 2nd week in a row a "Player of the Week" in the WHA2. This week was Oak Hewer, who was originally drfated by the TB Lightning, and he is a big mobile power-forward with a soft set of hands.

That is my .02 cents!

Bummer of a loss by the Panthers, eh?

mark,
i understand you were a pioneer of this site/boards and you now work for the manatees, but your post has nothing to do with the panthers game and belongs on its own thread (which was stickied for some strange reason). as for the manatees, the ONLY way it will work for them is if mr. wonka is paying all employees of the league (including players) slave labor wages, because i just can't see the wha2 breaking even on its operating costs. i worked for the matadors, and you guys are making the same mistake: weak-ass advertising; it is laughable how a vast majority of the people i know swore sports were no longer being played at the miami arena. the manatees cannot hang with the sports dollar the cats, heat, fins, 'canes, and marlins extract, no matter how bad some of those teams are playing. the wha2 has 2 things going for it, and they are very lame crutches: 1)guys who work hard and love the game (i can see this at a pick up game at kendall ice arena for free), 2)no red line=lots of offense (the rhi took out the freakin' bluelines, had tons of offense, and we all know how long the florida hammerheads lasted at the miami arena). it is recognized as being an inferior league to at least the ahl and echl, and it will never draw players of equal caliber for that reason alone. it will obviously never touch the ahl, and over the past 5 years the echl has begun increasing it nhl affiliations and merged with at least the wphl, so many prospective manatees have many teams to choose from in the superior echl. do us a favor mark, give us the stat we really want from each game: paid attendance and turnstile attendance.

oh, and your ticket prices give me a peek into the reality of the league's operating costs; check out the outrageousness of mantees tix vs. far superior products (i chose the best products from the ahl):

http://miamimanatees.com/tickets.html

vs.

http://www.binghamtonsenators.com/tickets.asp
http://staging.web2life.com/wolvesdev/html/taa_individual.html
http://www.soundtigers.com/tickets/individual.htm
http://www.monarchshockey.com/tickets/individual/

I am Jack's Fish
11-22-2003, 04:55 AM
mark,
i understand you were a pioneer of this site/boards and you now work for the manatees, but your post has nothing to do with the panthers game and belongs on its own thread (which was stickied for some strange reason). as for the manatees, the ONLY way it will work for them is if mr. wonka is paying all employees of the league (including players) slave labor wages, because i just can't see the wha2 breaking even on its operating costs. i worked for the matadors, and you guys are making the same mistake: weak-ass advertising; it is laughable how a vast majority of the people i know swore sports were no longer being played at the miami arena. the manatees cannot hang with the sports dollar the cats, heat, fins, 'canes, and marlins extract, no matter how bad some of those teams are playing. the wha2 has 2 things going for it, and they are very lame crutches: 1)guys who work hard and love the game (i can see this at a pick up game at kendall ice arena for free), 2)no red line=lots of offense (the rhi took out the freakin' bluelines, had tons of offense, and we all know how long the florida hammerheads lasted at the miami arena). it is recognized as being an inferior league to at least the ahl and echl, and it will never draw players of equal caliber for that reason alone. it will obviously never touch the ahl, and over the past 5 years the echl has begun increasing it nhl affiliations and merged with at least the wphl, so many prospective manatees have many teams to choose from in the superior echl. do us a favor mark, give us the stat we really want from each game: paid attendance and turnstile attendance.

oh, and your ticket prices give me a peek into the reality of the league's operating costs; check out the outrageousness of mantees tix vs. far superior products (i chose the best products from the ahl):

Thanks for your questions ED.

First off, I am very happy with the salary I am making, and my co-workers are paid well in relation to other minor-league teams.

As for the finances. To be honest, I don't worry about it too much. Waronker has spent a good amount of money, and will continue to spend money as he sees fit. The "weak" advertising you describe in relation to other major sports teams is fine. We advertise on Fox 940, Coast 97.3, Coral Gables Gazette, Miami Herald, Miami Hurricane, Sun-Sentinel (occasionly) several local community papers, BARTV, and we are looking into advertising on TV all over South Florida. We tried advertising on WQAM with Farrell, but the Panthers nixed our efforts by complaining to the station, actually calling us competition! (that is like the Dolphins calling FIU competition)

Can we compete with the 4 other major sports dollar wise, no. Are we trying to? as best we can. yes, most poeple dont know we are there, but you know what, outside of what we are doing now, the only thng we can do is go to their houses personally and tell them. Advertising only works with people who are looking or listening.

As far as getting media coverage, I am very realistic in knowing what I face. This is a major market with tons of sports teams, but the simple fact that the Herald and Sentinel have run stories after every one of our games has been very welcome by us. Every Thursday at 8:30 on 940 we have a 7 minute coaches show. If you look for it, you will find it. You might even stumble across it. There will be more media coverage from tv and radio as well as the season goes on.

As for the ticket prices, if you want to go see a game in those other cities, by all means, go ahead. But as far as professional sports goes in this town, our tickets are very affordable and well worth the night of entertainment. I didnt realize we were competing with the superior products of the AHL and ECHL teams in Providence, Richmond, and elsewhere. What we are competing for in this town are those people who can't afford to go to high-priced sporting events (Marlins are the only exception to this), families who dont want to spend $150 a night for entertainment, the people who want to see players playing for the love of the game (and it shows in their play), and those fans sick of havng to worry about everything else about their sports team outside of the actual game.

Bottom line ED, for once stop worrying about all of those things that one worries about too mich when following major league sports. Money, contracts, ticket prices, parking costs, etc etc.

The purpose of the Manatees is to give hockey fans a fun entertaining product for a reasonable price, and allow people to become FANS again without having to worry about the multi-million dollar mistakes and headaches other teams in this town have.

Just come, spend $10 on a ticket, relax, and have fun for two hours. Remember what that was like?

Coolburn
11-22-2003, 05:56 AM
I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with ED but he has some very valid points. While I respect everything you've done in the past for HF, I think the post you made was done NOT to comment on the Panthers game. When you make a post like that, it just seems (maybe to me) that you're just doing your job instead of being a Panther fan. I agree again, that I'm not sure why there's a whole stickied thread regarding the Mantees on the Florida Panthers section of the boards. I thought this was our section to discuss the Panthers and their prospects. I would suggest to HF that they create an extra section under the minor leagues for WHA & WHA2 talk where discussing the Manatees make more sense. Personally, I think I will never go to a Manatees game because of location...not the neighborhood of where the arena is located but the fact that its located so far south in Miami. My opinion is that the largest hockey population with disposable income isn't in Miami and that will be the main problem with the Manatees.

Now back to the real reason for the thread, the game against ATL. I think we're in a similar situation to ATL was last yr. When we can hire our version of Hartley, then I think we'll turn it around. But at that point it might be too late for the playoffs. But ATL ended up with the 8th pick last yr and thats around where I expected us to finish anyhow (actually I was thinking 10th pick).

evildreams
11-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Thanks for your questions ED.

First off, I am very happy with the salary I am making, and my co-workers are paid well in relation to other minor-league teams.

As for the finances. To be honest, I don't worry about it too much. Waronker has spent a good amount of money, and will continue to spend money as he sees fit. The "weak" advertising you describe in relation to other major sports teams is fine. We advertise on Fox 940, Coast 97.3, Coral Gables Gazette, Miami Herald, Miami Hurricane, Sun-Sentinel (occasionly) several local community papers, BARTV, and we are looking into advertising on TV all over South Florida. We tried advertising on WQAM with Farrell, but the Panthers nixed our efforts by complaining to the station, actually calling us competition! (that is like the Dolphins calling FIU competition)

Can we compete with the 4 other major sports dollar wise, no. Are we trying to? as best we can. yes, most poeple dont know we are there, but you know what, outside of what we are doing now, the only thng we can do is go to their houses personally and tell them. Advertising only works with people who are looking or listening.

As far as getting media coverage, I am very realistic in knowing what I face. This is a major market with tons of sports teams, but the simple fact that the Herald and Sentinel have run stories after every one of our games has been very welcome by us. Every Thursday at 8:30 on 940 we have a 7 minute coaches show. If you look for it, you will find it. You might even stumble across it. There will be more media coverage from tv and radio as well as the season goes on.

As for the ticket prices, if you want to go see a game in those other cities, by all means, go ahead. But as far as professional sports goes in this town, our tickets are very affordable and well worth the night of entertainment. I didnt realize we were competing with the superior products of the AHL and ECHL teams in Providence, Richmond, and elsewhere. What we are competing for in this town are those people who can't afford to go to high-priced sporting events (Marlins are the only exception to this), families who dont want to spend $150 a night for entertainment, the people who want to see players playing for the love of the game (and it shows in their play), and those fans sick of havng to worry about everything else about their sports team outside of the actual game.

Bottom line ED, for once stop worrying about all of those things that one worries about too mich when following major league sports. Money, contracts, ticket prices, parking costs, etc etc.

The purpose of the Manatees is to give hockey fans a fun entertaining product for a reasonable price, and allow people to become FANS again without having to worry about the multi-million dollar mistakes and headaches other teams in this town have.

Just come, spend $10 on a ticket, relax, and have fun for two hours. Remember what that was like?

mark,
two quick ideas:

1) get at least 1 spot a week and advertise on one of cbs/fox/abc/nbc
2)there's a group of people in miami who have money and usually gladly throw it away; they're called college students. you guys totally passed over fiu, and my g/f told me that they passively gave out tix at um. you guys need to hit up mdcc, fiu, and um with posters, brochures, etc.; it's embarassing how you guys have missed such a huge market.

panthersr#1
11-22-2003, 08:03 AM
panthers have $14 tickets, high school has $5, pick up games are free. there are other options for the money. naming the team after an endangered species was about right. arent they going to blow up miami arena anyway? watching old guys that cant get other jobs playing against other old guys that cant get jobs, sounds like fun. maybe you should have those guys perform "Chorus Line" and charge less than they do on broadway. it only works when there isnt a better product within 500 miles. whats the under/over for amount of seasons they play? i bet one.

I am Jack's Fish
11-22-2003, 08:38 AM
mark,
two quick ideas:

1) get at least 1 spot a week and advertise on one of cbs/fox/abc/nbc
2)there's a group of people in miami who have money and usually gladly throw it away; they're called college students. you guys totally passed over fiu, and my g/f told me that they passively gave out tix at um. you guys need to hit up mdcc, fiu, and um with posters, brochures, etc.; it's embarassing how you guys have missed such a huge market.

1: Not a bad thought. Something is in the works actually, but the major networks command an extremely high price, and there are more focused networks for us to advertise.

2: We have been running ads in the Miami Hurricane for some time, and FIU has had some stuff in the past, and we will resume doing that very soon. We did a blitz at the UM game against Tennessee, but with our luck the Canes ended up losing, and possibly making all their fans not want to do anything afterwards except go home and drown in their sorrows. lol..

I am Jack's Fish
11-22-2003, 08:51 AM
panthers have $14 tickets, high school has $5, pick up games are free. there are other options for the money. naming the team after an endangered species was about right. arent they going to blow up miami arena anyway? watching old guys that cant get other jobs playing against other old guys that cant get jobs, sounds like fun. maybe you should have those guys perform "Chorus Line" and charge less than they do on broadway. it only works when there isnt a better product within 500 miles. whats the under/over for amount of seasons they play? i bet one.

$14 tickets and $5 tickets way up in the rafters of the ODC. Not a bad price at all, cant argue with that.

Miami Arena isn't going anywhere, unless somehow the city wants to pay off the 15 years of the multi-million bond they have on the building anyway. That will cost a lot a money for the poeple and city who invested in a building that was out of date the moment they built it. Sure, it is easy for everyone to say they will knock it down, but the reality of knocking down a building that is still being paid for is something drastically different.

Actually, the players on the team aren't old at all. I am pretty sure but I can't confirm it until I sit down and do the math, but the average age on our team might be older than the average age on the Panthers. And just ask the fans who have seen the product so far, and it is far from a bunch of old geezers skating around. This team is fast, young, aggressive, offensive minded, passionate, spirited, tough, and a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

As for the years we have, who knows? They might last one, but I am going to think the owner will want to have the team here when the NHL goes on strike for who knows how long. (trust me, the players, the union, and the owners are 95% sure there will be a long lock-out). No NHL hockey in South Florida (or what passes for one) means plenty of fans will watch the Manatees for their hockey fix.

Thanks for the comments!

Captain8
11-22-2003, 09:17 AM
The second shorthanded goal was devasting. It was nothing more then a complete lack of effort on Bure's part. He justed glided into the zone and watched as Sutton jumped on the puck and buried it.

That was pathetic.

Bure is really the epitome of a Jekyll and Hyde on the ice. Every good thing he does is offset by something that hurts the team.

If he could funnel the positive energy he brings into better team play...

Rattrick
11-22-2003, 09:34 AM
I agree with ED on this one. I believe the the purpose of that post was to migrate fans from the Panthers to the Manatees. There is a specific thread for that not the game day threads.

Rattrick
11-24-2003, 07:56 AM
i care, and if you did as well you'd understand my point; evidentally you don't (nor would i expect you too)

If you are implying a lack of knowledge on my part, think again. Where do you get this feeling that you run this place? Keenan is not coming back, face it, swallow it with a grain of salt and move on.

Coolburn
11-24-2003, 03:06 PM
They might last one, but I am going to think the owner will want to have the team here when the NHL goes on strike for who knows how long. (trust me, the players, the union, and the owners are 95% sure there will be a long lock-out). No NHL hockey in South Florida (or what passes for one) means plenty of fans will watch the Manatees for their hockey fix.

Thanks for the comments!If I had the option to watch the Manatees live or watch hockey on TV, I would take TV. The reason I bring this up is because during the last lockout, the AHL & IHL got a lot of TV time and there are ideas that the same could happen this time around. I would think that we might get a chance to see some of the Rampage games when/if the lockout occurs and at least thats related to the Panthers. No NHL hockey in South Florida is not a good thing for any hockey in South Florida. What would be good for the Manatees is the Panthers playing well and drawing large crowds. Larger crowds = more interested hockey fans = better for Manatess...just IMO.

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=531&xlc=1083788

Clash*
11-26-2003, 09:34 AM
With Roenick and Hull havin both already stated they'd both go to a new WHA, I would have no problems watchin the WHA or for that matter right now, watchin WHA2 games, if it means we have ANY hockey here to see live next year. There's always hockey to be seen, if you have the Fox Sports nets channels on digital or satellite tv, but live is so much better.