Andrew Bynum

took420s
10-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Maybe some of you know who he is and some of you may not.

He was the Lakers 10th pick in last years draft (17 years old straight outta high school). Right now he is 7' 1" 285 and getting bigger :yo:

He barely played last season (Phil Jax is not a fan of rookies...especially 17 year old kids), but due to the injuries to Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm he will be the starting center for the Lakers come opening night.

His 2 big highlights from last year were a 16 point 4th quarter against the Knicks (most of them against Curry) and dunkng on Snaq...subsequently getting into a scuffle while going down the other end (Snaq did not like the forearm Bynum gave him).

This preseason young Andrew has seen huge minutes due to the injuries to the other Laker centers and he has not folded. Last night against Nene and the Nugglets A-Bomb dropped 23 pts-7 rbs-5 ast-3 blks in just about 35 minutes.

I know I know...its just preseason right? Maybe, but the kid (just turned 19 today) will be starting for the Los Angeles Lakers, the premier franchise in basketball for the next few weeks.

Keep an eye on him, I know I will be :handclap:

Russian_fanatic
10-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I've like him for awhile. I think he can be a 15-10 center.

took420s
10-28-2006, 11:59 PM
I've like him for awhile. I think he can be a 15-10 center.

Well we are hoping for more, but that seems about right at this point...I can't wait to see him start a regular season game (1st is against the Suns). The Lakers actually beat the Suns with was basically the Suns starters a few preseason games ago...Andrew played very well and kept Amare out of sync while getting his own offense going on the other end.

Andrew yelled at Sasha in the 3rd Q of the final preseason game to "Give him the F-ing ball!" after he established position asnd was not fed in consecutive posessions. During the timeout the Lakers coaches echoed his remaks to the rest of the team...kid was unstoppable against Nene and he deserved the ball...Gotta love that coming from a kid :yo:

Still no Kobe though...the youngins gotta step up!

Bruinaholic
10-30-2006, 11:42 PM
I think he could be a poor mans Aloujawon(sp) but bigger in the long run
Im not a huge NCAA Fan but i was kinda bummed he passed up going to Uconn because if he didnt he wouldnt be eligible for the NBA draft i think for 2 or 3 years w/ the new age restriction.
Bynum is a prime example of a player that would have been best suited in college but what can ya do

Skylab
10-31-2006, 12:48 AM
the Los Angeles Lakers, the premier franchise in basketball.

Living in the past?

took420s
10-31-2006, 01:21 AM
I think he could be a poor mans Aloujawon(sp) but bigger in the long run
Im not a huge NCAA Fan but i was kinda bummed he passed up going to Uconn because if he didnt he wouldnt be eligible for the NBA draft i think for 2 or 3 years w/ the new age restriction.
Bynum is a prime example of a player that would have been best suited in college but what can ya do

You're right about the college thing...He was hurt his senior year in high school so he only played about 35 game of high school B ball. But the Lakers loved his work out and gave him the promise that they would pick him at #10.

took420s
10-31-2006, 01:22 AM
Living in the past?

2002 Championship
2001 Championship
2000 Championship
1988 Championship
1987 Championship
1985 Championship
1982 Championship
1980 Championship
1972 Championship
1954 Championship
1953 Championship
1952 Championship
1950 Championship
1949 Championship

Living in the past, present and future...sucka :yo:

Skylab
10-31-2006, 02:12 PM
2002 Championship
2001 Championship
2000 Championship
1988 Championship
1987 Championship
1985 Championship
1982 Championship
1980 Championship
1972 Championship
1954 Championship
1953 Championship
1952 Championship
1950 Championship
1949 Championship

Living in the past, present and future...sucka :yo:

past is debatable, see the Celtics overall and the Bulls and Pistons in more recent history

present is laughable, 10th overall last year, 21st the year before and behind the Clippers both years. recent history suggests they aren't even the best team in LA

future, who knows

took420s
10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
past is debatable, see the Celtics overall and the Bulls and Pistons in more recent history

present is laughable, 10th overall last year, 21st the year before and behind the Clippers both years. recent history suggests they aren't even the best team in LA

future, who knows

First of all this was not supposed to be Lakers thread but a discussion about the next great center Andrew Bynum.

That being said I find this path fun too so I will endulge you...

Show me another team that has consistantly won titles like the Lakers? The Celtics have been asleep for 20 years, the Bulls only had the 90's and the Pistons have a few split between a couple decades.

The Lakers consistantly win...you say they were 10th in the league last year? Well that is true but they were projected to be much worse since Snaq left. Point is the Lakers know how to rebuild and it does not take decades to do it (ie. Celtics/Bulls/Pistons).

And back to my original point...If Andrew Bynum continues to progress like he has the last year (kid just turned 19 with no college experience!) then you will be forced to sit through the next Laker Dynasty. Bash them now while you have the chance, because from this year forward they will be back on top with the best owner, best coach, best player, and soon the best center in the association :bow:

Fish on The Sand
10-31-2006, 03:44 PM
First of all this was not supposed to be Lakers thread but a discussion about the next great center Andrew Bynum.

That being said I find this path fun too so I will endulge you...

Show me another team that has consistantly won titles like the Lakers? The Celtics have been asleep for 20 years, the Bulls only had the 90's and the Pistons have a few split between a couple decades.

The Lakers consistantly win...you say they were 10th in the league last year? Well that is true but they were projected to be much worse since Snaq left. Point is the Lakers know how to rebuild and it does not take decades to do it (ie. Celtics/Bulls/Pistons).

And back to my original point...If Andrew Bynum continues to progress like he has the last year (kid just turned 19 with no college experience!) then you will be forced to sit through the next Laker Dynasty. Bash them now while you have the chance, because from this year forward they will be back on top with the best owner, best coach, best player, and soon the best center in the association :bow:

maybe the suns b team can knock them out in the first round again.

USC Trojans
10-31-2006, 05:32 PM
I'll be looking for him tonight...he can't be any worse at center than Kwame Brown.

Skylab
10-31-2006, 09:46 PM

Bash them now while you have the chance, because from this year forward they will be back on top with the best owner, best coach, best player, and soon the best center in the association :bow:

a few points...
i didn't say the Lakers weren't "the premiere franchise in basketball" in the past, i said it was debatable. arguably they might be, but you can build a case for others.

i said the idea of the Lakers as "the premiere franchis in basketball" in the present was laughable. your response was that they were supposed to be worse than 10th overall. that may be, it still doesn't make them the current "premiere franchise in basketball", it makes them a mediocre playoff team with some upside, but huge holes at many positions.

i never bashed the Lakers, just questioned your statement of them as the "premier frahchise in basketball" in the "past, present and future"...

you might want to let Bynum improve on his career numbers of 1.6 ppg and 1.7 rpg, before annointing him the best center anywhere other than my men's league. of course he'd have to play here to prove it. does he have upside and promise, sure, but lets not get ahead of ourselves

took420s
10-31-2006, 10:12 PM
a few points...
i didn't say the Lakers weren't "the premiere franchise in basketball" in the past, i said it was debatable. arguably they might be, but you can build a case for others.

i said the idea of the Lakers as "the premiere franchis in basketball" in the present was laughable. your response was that they were supposed to be worse than 10th overall. that may be, it still doesn't make them the current "premiere franchise in basketball", it makes them a mediocre playoff team with some upside, but huge holes at many positions.

i never bashed the Lakers, just questioned your statement of them as the "premier frahchise in basketball" in the "past, present and future"...

you might want to let Bynum improve on his career numbers of 1.6 ppg and 1.7 rpg, before annointing him the best center anywhere other than my men's league. of course he'd have to play here to prove it. does he have upside and promise, sure, but lets not get ahead of ourselves

You didn't answer my question...Name another team that has been consistantly successful as the Lakers. When I say "premier franchise" I am talking about of ALL TIME. Not just this year or next year...ALL TIME.

And your numbers for Bynum were fom last year...when the season started the kid was only 17 years old.

Lets look at his current stats:

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
06-07 LAL 8 6 22.3 .711 .000 .773 1.4 3.5 4.9 2.0 0.1 0.9 2.50 2.30 10.1

That's a field goal percentage of 71% and 10 points in only 22 minutes of action.

The game will be on TNT...no Kobe tonight so the Suns should see a good dose of A Bomb...hopefully he does not dissapoint in his first start ever (on opening night no less). Sink or swim time...Go Lakers!!!

Brodie562
11-01-2006, 12:39 AM
:yo:

You called it. what a 3rd period they're having! Farmar is even getting into it.

Bynum showed signs of this kind of play last year, and against Shaq too. His eyes on some of those plays were intense. I hope he could keep this up.

took420s
11-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Bynum with 18 pts / 9 rebs / 5 asst in his first ever start.

All that in less than 30 minutes :yo:

No Kobe, gave up 41 in the 1st Q, and the Lake Show still came out and showed why they are still a team to beat in the NBA :bow:

Odom is going to the All Star game this year my friends...dude dropped something like 36/13 tonight.

USC Trojans
11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
scary that Bynum is still only 19 years old...in a few years this guy could be 7'2" 320 lbs and dominating the paint

took420s
11-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Let's see how the Kid responds to a back-to-back, Lakers playing GS tonight.

Should not be that hard for him, I was shocked to see that as well as his boxscore was, he only played 23 minutes :bow: Phil Jax is keeping his minutes low, one of Bynum's weaknesses is his stamina...Kinda like Yao but I think he will increase his conditioning further than Yao has, that guy seems to only be able to play spurts and then he is winded.

Until Mihm and Kwame come back you will see Andrew start at center with a good dose of Ronny Turiaf and when their competion goes small...Odom will play some C too. When the Lakers get healthy they are really a very versitile team.

Go Bynum :yo:

Hellström
11-02-2006, 10:07 AM
5-4-2 in 10 minutes (not bad), but 4 fouls..

took420s
11-02-2006, 03:10 PM
5-4-2 in 10 minutes (not bad), but 4 fouls..

Yeah that foul trouble really limited him last night, and Ronny Turiaf was lighting it up so Andrew got to sit for most of that game. Ronny is another player to watch...dude had open heart surgery and a few months later was signed and playing for the Lakers.

Andrew will unfortunately have games like that, but the kid has shown that he learns from his mistakes. The Lakers really only want him to anchor the D, be a beast in the paint and alter shots...Its a learning process but I think that the playing time he is getting now is only going to speed that up. Can't wait to see the next game!

took420s
11-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Season is young but I think Andrew has proven that he is well on his way to being the next great center in this league.

His stats after 4 games:

11.3 points
6 rebounds
2 assists
1 block
75% field goal
68% free throw

But take into account that these numbers have all been accomplished in only 19.3 minutes per game :yo:

Phil is bringing him along slowly, can't wait to see how he develops as the season progresses. So far I have seen that he may not be getting a ton of blocks but he certainly affects almost every shot in the paint, dude has a huge wingspan. Looking at the shooting percentage I don't understand why he does not get more touches, I mean every time he gets off a shot it seems to either go in or he is fouled. His passing is superb out of the double team. He still needs to increase his stamina over the course of a full game...once he does that you're looking at the starting center for the Lakers for the next 15 years...

took420s
12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Just thought I would resurrect this thread.

2007-2008 averages:

points = 12.5
rebounds = 10.1
blocks = 2.1

Most important are his minutes per game at only 29.8.

I bring this thread up for 2 reasons...1 is that he is in his third season and yet is still only 20 years old and you can visibly see him get better with each game...Most recently making Amare look like a dwarf and pounding the Suns until they could not take it anymore! Dude has made Kobe forget all about his trade demands as well.

And 2...Can Minnesota really say they got the best package for KG when the Lakers were willing to part with both Bynum and Odom? Of course not and I take great joy in seeing Kevin McHale look more and more like an even worse GM than Isiah could ever hope to be.

bumrusherer
12-28-2007, 05:59 AM
Good bump :)

Drew is a go-to move away from being an All Star. And a move the other way from being a dominant player for 10+ years.

The dudes hands are just so soft. Everything that is thrown in his direction, he brings down.

took420s
12-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Good bump :)

Drew is a go-to move away from being an All Star. And a move the other way from being a dominant player for 10+ years.

The dudes hands are just so soft. Everything that is thrown in his direction, he brings down.

Imagine that all this success he is having and most of his points are from dunks! The guy rarely gets to iso and back anybody down....and is just recently getting more than 10-12 shots off. He is coached by the best big man to ever play in Kareem, you know there are go to moves he is learning and in time will break them out.

But above all else it is the confidence that Kobe has shown in him that will increase his confidence and numbers. When the rest of the Lakers see Kobe routinely looking for Drew, the whole team gets into it.

Those hands...damn if only Kwame hand those hands he would have been worth the #1 pick :biglaugh: anything you throw up Drew will grab it and stuff it easily.

Guys like Amare can no longer play the Lakers with only offense in mind. Teams were used to ignoring our centers since Snaq left, now its both ends of the court baby and until the opposition gets that in their heads Drew will continue to dominate these mini-centers that the league has moved to.