Why did Kobe change to 24

lucscaps
11-08-2006, 12:19 PM
What's the deal with this?

mr gib
11-08-2006, 12:43 PM
What's the deal with this?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2421874

http://www.truehoop.com/los-angeles-lakers-10632-kobe-bryants-number-change.html

Greek_physique
11-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's a better question.

If Kobe retires with the Lakers, do they retire number 8?

12# Peter Bondra
11-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Here's a better question.

If Kobe retires with the Lakers, do they retire number 8?
Depends on what success he has with the number 24.

Greek_physique
11-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Depends on what success he has with the number 24.

Does he have to win at least 3 championship rings to retire number 24?

You think they'd retire both 8 and 24 if he did get 3more rings? :)

malfeasance
11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
He's a big Jeff Gordon fan

malfeasance
11-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Actually, 24 is his new goal.

24 shots per quarter.

Ar-too
11-08-2006, 03:11 PM
$

vancityluongo
11-08-2006, 07:10 PM

:dunno: Maybe something like this:

Bryant
8/24

took420s
11-08-2006, 09:47 PM
$

Yeah...Because that 120 million dollar contract he has with the Lakers can barely cover rent.

GKJ
11-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah...Because that 120 million dollar contract he has with the Lakers can barely cover rent.

No, more like he is a money driven cash cow who is one of the most greedy, selfish cancers on the planet.

took420s
11-09-2006, 02:55 AM
No, more like he is a money driven cash cow who is one of the most greedy, selfish cancers on the planet.

...and he eats babies sauteed in a spicy fetus sauce.

If you are going to make irrational statements, you might as well come up with something new ;)

Ar-too
11-09-2006, 10:03 AM

Some people can't get enough. Compare CEO salaries to the salary of the average worker over the last 25 years or so.

Bryant certainly seems like the type of person who can't get enough.

12# Peter Bondra
11-09-2006, 03:12 PM

Sadly for KB, he wont get another 3 rings.

GKJ
11-09-2006, 03:31 PM
...and he eats babies sauteed in a spicy fetus sauce.

If you are going to make irrational statements, you might as well come up with something new ;)

Irrational? He is probably the most hated athlete in sports.

took420s
11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Irrational? He is probably the most hated athlete in sports.

So you hate him because you think others hate him? Thanks for making my point...irrational

He was still top 5 in jersey sales last year and it was not just LA natives that were buying it either....He is still a starter in every All Star game (voted in by fans). I think he is hated by those who know nothing about basketball and by those who hate watching the Lakers whoop their teams. He is certainly not hated by the players, I can give you quote after quote by NBA players giving KB props.

Here is 1 from Dirk Nowitzki:

Sport1: What did the Americans lack?

Nowitzki: It was bitter that Kobe Bryant got injured. His presence alone would have been enough to win the tournament. That's the level I see him on. To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly.

http://www.truehoop.com/international-basketball-45487-dirk-nowitzki-says-kobe-bryant-would-have-changed-everything.html

Even sports writers are changing their tune, because they know he is the best player on the planet and that the Lakers are about to be right back on top.

I don't expect you to change your mind, afterall that would be the rational thing to do...But I provided some links for you so you can come with some lame comeback as to why Kobe hated and the Lakers suck ;)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15474406/
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At9Mrc9IXjpHhNcOAyU73eq8vLYF?slug=cnnsi-the12hottestque&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke8nov08,1,557646.column?page=1&ctrack=1&cset=true&track=rss
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5984620

Detox
11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
There was an interview that Chris Myers did with Kobe recently on why he changed his number

Edit: heres the link
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/5439126
Click on CMI: Kobe Bryant to watch

Watching him play this season, it refelcts what he said in the interview about starting a new era, hes become more of a well rounded player, contributing more as a teamate insted of looking for his own shot and I bet if it came down to it, he would still be able to take over games when it has been deemed necessary

The Lakers are looking like theyre back on the road to success

and how is he the most hated athlete in pro sports??? theres some claims in this thread that are absurd and unfounded to say the least

took420s
11-14-2006, 03:02 AM
There was an interview that Chris Myers did with Kobe recently on why he changed his number

Edit: heres the link
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/5439126
Click on CMI: Kobe Bryant to watch

Watching him play this season, it refelcts what he said in the interview about starting a new era, hes become more of a well rounded player, contributing more as a teamate insted of looking for his own shot and I bet if it came down to it, he would still be able to take over games when it has been deemed necessary

The Lakers are looking like theyre back on the road to success

and how is he the most hated athlete in pro sports??? theres some claims in this thread that are absurd and unfounded to say the least

Someone who gets it...Thanks!

Kobe haters are usually also big Laker haters...I can understand that to a certain degree. Although back in the day I used to HATE the Celtics, but I always respected a player like Larry Bird because you could tell that everytime you saw him play, you were seeing something special...same thing with Jordan, I hated the Bulls but that guy was freak.

But today's Kobe haters take it even further than just hating the player that embarrasses their team, they seem to hate him personally and make up things that tries to justify their position. They say he ran off Snaq, when really it was Jerry Buss who was smart not to give him the 30 million he wanted to be an ungratefull fatt ***. They like to call him selfish, but if you look at his stats, when he is surrounded by talent he averages more assists because they actually convert his passes to buckets.

I think a big part of it had to do with sports writers taking negative attitudes towards him, but as I showed in my previous post that trend is changing because these writers know he is the best and cannot truthfully continue to bash him. These writers can see that Kobe and the Lakers are coming back strong and want to jump back on the Showtime wagon IMO...even when some others still choose to continue the irrational hate.

GKJ
11-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Let's see...

Shaq has another ring...

Kobe missed the playoffs and his team choked the next year to a team who are bigger chokers than they were.

Typically, I don't pay attention much to basketball because of the prima donnas who run around with their massive egos and Kobe's ego is the biggest of them all. Maybe he learned his lesson and is actually an adult now, or if he's putting on an act (he's not fooling me) and when it all falls apart again he'll stand around and blame everyone else. Your true colors never change.

He also trashed Philly after the finals for no particular reason because 'he never felt like he was part of the town' when he lived here roughly half his childhood, and then high school and then he sat and cried when everyone booed him at the allstar game and then trashed the town again like a 5-year old.

Laker fans not included, I've come to find out that fanboys of Kobe Bryant are not exactly well-to-do.

He is a piece of trash.

took420s
11-14-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't pay attention much to basketball

That's what I thought an irrational hater would say.

"Oh but Shaq won a ring...and and and, Kobe said something bad about Philly..." Please stop now, (pats GKJ 514 on the head and sets the warm milk on the nightstand)...The boogyman won't get you tonight. :biglaugh:

Detox
11-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Let's see...

Shaq has another ring...

Kobe missed the playoffs and his team choked the next year to a team who are bigger chokers than they were.

Typically, I don't pay attention much to basketball because of the prima donnas who run around with their massive egos and Kobe's ego is the biggest of them all. Maybe he learned his lesson and is actually an adult now, or if he's putting on an act (he's not fooling me) and when it all falls apart again he'll stand around and blame everyone else. Your true colors never change.

He also trashed Philly after the finals for no particular reason because 'he never felt like he was part of the town' when he lived here roughly half his childhood, and then high school and then he sat and cried when everyone booed him at the allstar game and then trashed the town again like a 5-year old.

Laker fans not included, I've come to find out that fanboys of Kobe Bryant are not exactly well-to-do.

He is a piece of trash.

Biggest ego in the NBA??? Have you heard of Ron Artest and Gilbert Arenas?

You dont follow basketball, yet several incidents involving Philly (I gather your a Philly fan regardless the sport) entitles you to make outlandish claims such as the most hated athlete in sports, cancer etc... what does this thread have to do with any of that??? By changing his number to 24 reinstates all of that?

Shaq has another ring because of Flash; hes a shadow of his former self and frankly shouldve retired after last season (14 and 7 are hardly hall of fame numbers). Like Took stated, it was friction with Buss regarding salary that led to Shaq leaving not Kobe (in all circumstances its still the best move for the Lakers franchise). The media has been forever guilty of blowing things out of proportion and painting opposing forces as good vs evil (Shaq vs Kobe) that eventually the general public become naysayers as they have been indirectly influenced in what they read, see and hear.

Im not saying Kobe vists orphans or feeds the homeless in his spare time, its just dumbfounding to see such seething hatred for a being when theres no substance to such feelings. Granted Philly fans have a case off the court with Kobe but the rest of the fans of the NBA can see, even if the season is still young, that Kobe and the Lakers are back as a force in the West. Will they win it all? If Bynum progresses like he has (I believe he will have his ups and downs naturally), Odom continues his steller play, and Kobe turns into the cerebral player in crunch time then its very possible theyll be making noise come April/May.

Russian_fanatic
11-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Why did Kobe change his numer? Kobe's #8 jersey was one of the highest selling jersies EVER, and there is atleast 1 person on your block who owns one. Kobe's jersey sales have been low, because mostly everyone has a Kobe jersey. He brang out the #24 because he wants more jersey sales.

mr gib
11-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Someone who gets it...Thanks!

Kobe haters are usually also big Laker haters...I can understand that to a certain degree. Although back in the day I used to HATE the Celtics, but I always respected a player like Larry Bird because you could tell that everytime you saw him play, you were seeing something special...same thing with Jordan, I hated the Bulls but that guy was freak.

But today's Kobe haters take it even further than just hating the player that embarrasses their team, they seem to hate him personally and make up things that tries to justify their position. They say he ran off Snaq, when really it was Jerry Buss who was smart not to give him the 30 million he wanted to be an ungratefull fatt ***. They like to call him selfish, but if you look at his stats, when he is surrounded by talent he averages more assists because they actually convert his passes to buckets.

I think a big part of it had to do with sports writers taking negative attitudes towards him, but as I showed in my previous post that trend is changing because these writers know he is the best and cannot truthfully continue to bash him. These writers can see that Kobe and the Lakers are coming back strong and want to jump back on the Showtime wagon IMO...even when some others still choose to continue the irrational hate.

hey brah - the last half of the suns - lakers series let's just say there were a few things to dislike about kobe - which is evidence enuff that people hate him - laker fans alike -

Detox
11-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Why did Kobe change his numer? Kobe's #8 jersey was one of the highest selling jersies EVER, and there is atleast 1 person on your block who owns one. Kobe's jersey sales have been low, because mostly everyone has a Kobe jersey. He brang out the #24 because he wants more jersey sales.

http://probasketball.about.com/od/merchandise/tp/topnbajerseys05.htm
5th last year, 1st in 2004....riiiiight its about jersey sales

KaptainKourage*
11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Jack Bauer fan

KaptainKourage*
11-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Jack Bauer fan

took420s
11-14-2006, 10:01 PM
hey brah - the last half of the suns - lakers series let's just say there were a few things to dislike about kobe - which is evidence enuff that people hate him - laker fans alike -

What are these "few things"? I would love to hear them. Kobe did nothing but execute his coach's game plan, so if you have any issues with the way he played the criticism is for Phil Jackson because Phil has repeatedly said that Kobe did everything he wanted him to do in that series. What killed the Lakers in that series was a completely stone cold Smush Parker and a miracle 3 pointer by Tim Thomas in game 6, not to mention a totally bogus sexual assault charge by some skank against Kwame Brown that completely took him out of his game (and yes I say skank because the "woman" was never heard from again after the charge)

I tend to take the opinion of the Lakers coach and other officials in the NBA who have nothing but praise for the guy. When its needed, Phil Jackson criticizes his star player and I usually agree with that criticism...I am not a blind Kobe jocker, if he got traded tomorrow, as long as he left in a classy way unlike Snaq, I would still be a fan of his.

Anyway, I think the original poster's question was answered by the few who actually chose to provide helpful links on the subject instead of taking another opportunity to show their distaste for Kobe. The haters will continue to hate and the true NBA fans will continue to enjoy watching one of the greatest players do what it takes to lift his team back up to the top.

If anyone wants to start a "Why do we love to hate Kobe" thread, I will be there with logical arguments to defend my position and will offer links to to help substantiate my claims.