Sjostrom called up

Dan
11-26-2003, 05:02 AM
The Falcons will be without Sjostrom, who was recalled by the Phoenix Coyotes. To replace him, the Falcons have called up left wing Matt Zultek from the Trenton Titans.

Source (http://www.masslive.com/falcons/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/106983673992954.xml)

ducky
11-26-2003, 05:07 AM
Why?

Is someone injured?

OR should this fuel trade speculation...for example if Phoenix is trading a current roster player for a prospect or picks there might be a vacancy in the lineup.

CoyoteBaloney
11-26-2003, 05:54 AM
1) Some of the players presently on the Coyotes roster are loafing through the game and Coach Francis wants to make them the healthy scratch.

2) Because a player has a nagging injury that isn't worth putting anybody on the IR.

3) Try to spark some sort offense with only 2 goals in the last 3 games.

I guess we will find out the reason tomorrow night.

scoob4093
11-26-2003, 06:52 AM
1) Some of the players presently on the Coyotes roster are loafing through the game and Coach Francis wants to make them the healthy scratch.

2) Because a player has a nagging injury that isn't worth putting anybody on the IR.

3) Try to spark some sort offense with only 2 goals in the last 3 games.

I guess we will find out the reason tomorrow night.

Interesting move by the Yotes. Since he has done absolutely nothing to merit the promotion and since the team already has 3 healthy scratches in Ference, Nazarov and the (allegedly injured) Bierk who's spot would he be taking?

vsmith
11-26-2003, 06:57 AM
Maybe a Taffe - Sillinger - Sjostrom trio?

Predatore
11-26-2003, 11:40 PM
I hope the call-up will boost Sjöström's confidence and make those shots go in, when he returns to the Springfield.
Should be interesting to see what he can do with his speed in the NHL.

Hordichuk_24
11-27-2003, 01:58 AM
Maybe a Taffe - Sillinger - Sjostrom trio? The paper said he would be playing LW on a line with Sillinger and Cleary.

hbk
11-27-2003, 04:45 PM
nothing to lose with this move.

sjostrom has speed and enthusiasm. he's a very good two way player who Francis can stick in a system. if anything, he may scare some players (Krys Kolanos I am thinking of you) into pulling their head out of their butt. Sjostrom has impressive skills but he is obviously not ready for full time NHL duty. However, if he gets some space he is very capable of bringing fans out of their seats. I think he'll become a favorite around here very soon.

Doug
11-27-2003, 05:27 PM
However, if he gets some space he is very capable of bringing fans out of their seats.
Hopefully he has plenty of space in the press box tonight.

I don't mind him being recalled, but it's really aggravating to lose Sjostrom for a weekend in which the Falcons are playing four games in five days just so he can sit in Phoenix and get a tan. :rant:

_Del_
11-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Hopefully he has plenty of space in the press box tonight.

I don't mind him being recalled, but it's really aggravating to lose Sjostrom for a weekend in which the Falcons are playing four games in five days just so he can sit in Phoenix and get a tan. :rant:

I'm not a Springfield fan, but this move made no sense to me either -- they announced he was a healthy scratch and I was alittle angry too...
Why recall him if you're not going to play him...

:dunno:

roadrunner
11-27-2003, 09:29 PM
I'm not a Springfield fan, but this move made no sense to me either -- they announced he was a healthy scratch and I was alittle angry too...

To scare Kolanos. KK is still asleep so Freddie will play in Boston (and a short trip back to Springfield) and Krys will sit.

vsmith
11-27-2003, 11:11 PM
To scare Kolanos. KK is still asleep so Freddie will play in Boston (and a short trip back to Springfield) and Krys will sit.

Seems very probable after the LA game.

CoyoteBaloney
11-28-2003, 12:55 PM

Could be any number of reasons. My guess is that Sjostrom felt tired and maybe even sick after the flight to Phoenix. Now he has to fly back to Boston for Sunday night's game. I bet he gets left there and sent back to Springfield.