hey guys, a serious matter

patastrophe
11-27-2003, 04:26 AM
everyone and his grandmother (that watches hockey anyway) pretty much knows theres a lockout coming. id like to try to see if we can actually force their hand in avoiding it. i dont know how much of a shot at it we have, but i think we ought to start a letter writing campaign to put some fan pressure on them to get a deal done...as baseball fans did to avert a possible lockout in their sport. as gate driven as our league is, the threat of hitting them in the wallet carries a little more weight for us...if we dont go to games, they dont have tv money to bail themselves out. Thus, our games greatest weakness becomes a pretty good tool for the fans to use against BOTH sides to force them to get a deal done.

anyways, im sending a letter to each of the following: the nhl league offices, the nhlpa, the florida panthers, and russo, biggane, and neal. I urge all of you to do the same. im going to copy my letter into the post so you guys can see it before i send it out, and if youd like to use mine your more than welcome. I have some friends here in l.a. that are going to get the kings and ducks offices as well as elliott and the rest from the times and the o.c. register.

also, if you guys think this is a good idea, lets take it to the other forums and get the fans of other teams in on it. heimy, you and mark, being moderators would probably be a big help in this if you agree with it.

here are the addresses for the league and team offices

National Hockey League
1251 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

National Hockey League Players Association
777 Bay St., Ste. 2400
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C8, Canada

Florida Panthers Hockey Club
One Panther Parkway
Sunrise, FL 33323

and here is a copy of the letter im sending:

November 27, 2003

National Hockey League
New York, NY 10020

CC: The Florida Panthers, The National Hockey League Players Association, Mike Russo-The South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Brian Biggane-The Palm Beach Post, David J. Neal-The Miami Herald

To whom it may concern,

As a fan of the National Hockey League, as well as and ardent consumer and supporter of our game, I find talk of an impending lockout deeply disturbing as well as somewhat offensive. While I am quite comfortable with the fact that big league sports is an enormous business with revenues in the hundreds of millions and growing, fans have quite a different perspective of things. We suffer with our teams when they lose, we rejoice with our teams when they are victorious, but
above all WE PAY THE BILLS. We spend our money on tickets, and concessions, and jerseys, and hats, and stickers, and we spend it loyally as well as abundantly.
In short, itís the fans that are the lifeblood of this sport. Not Nextel, or ESPN/ABC, or Fox Sports Net, or Microsoft, or the NHLPA, or Bob Goodenow, or Bill Daly, or Gary Bettman. The aforementioned entities will not suffer much in the case of a lockout. Itís the fans that suffer at your expense. At a time when the regular, blue-collar type family that put the NHL in the position it is in now can barely afford single games, much less season tickets, for some to insist that there is not a solution to prevent a lockout is insulting and detestable. We, the fans, are quite aware of the amount of money flowing through the gates, because we put it in the cash drawer. We, the fans, are also quite sick of the all or nothing rhetoric being played out by both sides in the media with no hope, or apparently, any desire to compromise and save next season. You will notice I make no effort to choose between the players and the owners as to who is right. That is because as a fan I quite honestly could care less, as long as the situation is resolved in an equitable fashion, we have a healthy league, and the games go on.
That being said, I know that I am only one individual. If there is a lockout I will choose to turn my sports dollar elsewhere. I love our game and it would pain me immeasurably to do so, but I have no interest in patronizing a product that would have such a callous disregard for its customers as to suspend operations without so much as a half-hearted attempt to resolve a labor dispute. I am only one person, but I know other fans who feel the same way.

let me know what you guys think.

Desert Panther
11-27-2003, 04:24 PM
everyone and his grandmother (that watches hockey anyway) pretty much knows theres a lockout coming. id like to try to see if we can actually force their hand in avoiding it. i dont know how much of a shot at it we have, but i think we ought to start a letter writing campaign to put some fan pressure on them to get a deal done...as baseball fans did to avert a possible lockout in their sport. as gate driven as our league is, the threat of hitting them in the wallet carries a little more weight for us...if we dont go to games, they dont have tv money to bail themselves out. Thus, our games greatest weakness becomes a pretty good tool for the fans to use against BOTH sides to force them to get a deal done.

anyways, im sending a letter to each of the following: the nhl league offices, the nhlpa, the florida panthers, and russo, biggane, and neal. I urge all of you to do the same. im going to copy my letter into the post so you guys can see it before i send it out, and if youd like to use mine your more than welcome. I have some friends here in l.a. that are going to get the kings and ducks offices as well as elliott and the rest from the times and the o.c. register.

also, if you guys think this is a good idea, lets take it to the other forums and get the fans of other teams in on it. heimy, you and mark, being moderators would probably be a big help in this if you agree with it.

National Hockey League
New York, NY 10020

777 Bay St., Ste. 2400

One Panther Parkway
Sunrise, FL 33323

November 27, 2003

National Hockey League
New York, NY 10020

CC: The Florida Panthers, The National Hockey League Players Association, Mike Russo-The South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Brian Biggane-The Palm Beach Post, David J. Neal-The Miami Herald

To whom it may concern,

As a fan of the National Hockey League, as well as and ardent consumer and supporter of our game, I find talk of an impending lockout deeply disturbing as well as somewhat offensive. While I am quite comfortable with the fact that big league sports is an enormous business with revenues in the hundreds of millions and growing, fans have quite a different perspective of things. We suffer with our teams when they lose, we rejoice with our teams when they are victorious, but
above all WE PAY THE BILLS. We spend our money on tickets, and concessions, and jerseys, and hats, and stickers, and we spend it loyally as well as abundantly.
In short, itís the fans that are the lifeblood of this sport. Not Nextel, or ESPN/ABC, or Fox Sports Net, or Microsoft, or the NHLPA, or Bob Goodenow, or Bill Daly, or Gary Bettman. The aforementioned entities will not suffer much in the case of a lockout. Itís the fans that suffer at your expense. At a time when the regular, blue-collar type family that put the NHL in the position it is in now can barely afford single games, much less season tickets, for some to insist that there is not a solution to prevent a lockout is insulting and detestable. We, the fans, are quite aware of the amount of money flowing through the gates, because we put it in the cash drawer. We, the fans, are also quite sick of the all or nothing rhetoric being played out by both sides in the media with no hope, or apparently, any desire to compromise and save next season. You will notice I make no effort to choose between the players and the owners as to who is right. That is because as a fan I quite honestly could care less, as long as the situation is resolved in an equitable fashion, we have a healthy league, and the games go on.
That being said, I know that I am only one individual. If there is a lockout I will choose to turn my sports dollar elsewhere. I love our game and it would pain me immeasurably to do so, but I have no interest in patronizing a product that would have such a callous disregard for its customers as to suspend operations without so much as a half-hearted attempt to resolve a labor dispute. I am only one person, but I know other fans who feel the same way.

I couldn't say it better myself. That about sums things up.

PanthersRule96
11-27-2003, 05:11 PM
I couldn't say it better myself. That about sums things up.

Ditto, extremely well written with no flaws. Very convincing. Did you send it yet?

MoeHowardDavid
11-27-2003, 05:31 PM
I approve of the letter. :handclap:

barrytrotzsneck
11-27-2003, 07:12 PM
great letter...and one of our posters over on the Predators board, Dulzhok, opened this site up earlier this week....

http://www.savehockey.com/

this kind of goes along with what you were saying. please read this over and take the time to sign the petition as well. most of all...tell every hockey fan you know about this. it might help...but it's a small step to take if it can.

thanks for your time.

Heimy
11-27-2003, 08:35 PM

National Hockey League
New York, NY 10020

777 Bay St., Ste. 2400

One Panther Parkway
Sunrise, FL 33323

November 27, 2003

National Hockey League
New York, NY 10020

To whom it may concern,

I love activists! :handclap:

I can't imagine any reason not to support your plea. While you might not reflect everyone's exact feelings on all the issues I admire your passion and share much of your sentiment.

I'm among the few optimists that cling to the hope that reason prevails so a work stoppage is averted. Concessions from all parties are essential in finding a solution. But, if they want to (further) alienate the fanbase and badly retard any growth of this great game they're on the right track. Let's hope they're not that stupid and greedy.

patastrophe
11-28-2003, 12:18 AM
I love activists! :handclap:

I can't imagine any reason not to support your plea. While you might not reflect everyone's exact feelings on all the issues I admire your passion and share much of your sentiment.

I'm among the few optimists that cling to the hope that reason prevails so a work stoppage is averted. Concessions from all parties are essential in finding a solution. But, if they want to (further) alienate the fanbase and badly retard any growth of this great game they're on the right track. Let's hope they're not that stupid and greedy.

since everyone seems to support this, over the next couple of days im going to post this in the main nhl thread, as well as the individual team threads. ill probably send my actual hard copy letters out at the end of the week. anyone know the postage rates to ontario?

m2k2p
11-28-2003, 11:20 AM
:handclap: I think your letter sums things up well patastrophe.

Acadmus
12-01-2003, 07:22 AM
I'll take the role of devil's advocate and tell you why your letter will not have an impact.

The lockout will occur because two sides (NHL team owners and NHLPA) have a disagreement on a major financial issue. The NHL doesn't want the players' salaries to get so high that only the 6 richest teams have the ability to remain solvent. The players don't want to see restrictions on their pay that won't change regardless of the future success of the league.

Your letter urges them to avoid an impasse or you'll take your money elsewhere. It does not take sides to pressure one side in the dispute to understand why their stance is wrong. Both sides will continue to do what they are doing now, which is to blame the other for the failure to reach a deal and causing the loss of fans and revenue.

Just to give you an example of something that could be said to actually help the situation, I'll give you my opinion on the impasse.

The players association is refusing to understand the realities of hockey's position in sports. Always referred to as the 4th major sport in the U.S. (the predominant market), hockey is actually better ranked as the 8th major sport in the U.S. Ahead of them in importance to the viewing public in order are: Football (American), Baseball, College Football, Basketball, College Basketball, Stock Car racing, and Golf. I base these on the amount of coverage I've noticed on network TV, major national cable channels, and ESPN's main channel, though I may be off in terms of actual ratings, but I'm fairly sure I'm not.

The financial realities are that the players in the NHL make a much higher percentage of the sport's total revenues as salaries than in any other sport. Since hockey has only a fraction of the overall revenue, the major hit team budget's take on player salaries only serves to diminish the ability of teams to remain "in the black." The impact over the years since the 1st collective bargaining agreement is that, despite expanding to new markets, the NHL is on the verge of collapsing back into a small league of no more than 12 teams, leaving many players unemployed and dropping revenues since 12 teams won't play 82 games a season each. The simple fact is that smaller market teams can't afford to be competitive, and non-competitive teams will lose fan interest until, finally, the financial losses are such that teams declare bankruptcy and fold. Three teams have already gone bankrupt in the past 4 years, and only barely managed to avoid folding or relocating.

The players simply have to realize that no sport can sustain an environment where the increase in player salaries outpaces the increase in the sport's revenues by such a substantial margin. Since some teams will take advantage of their spending power to try to buy championships or at least maintain a level of dominance over opponents, restrictions need to be in place to protect smaller teams.

A letter saying something like that will have more impact, because it tries to get one side to compromise their position. It'll have even more impact if you collect 1,000 fan signatures to go with it;)

MoeHowardDavid
12-01-2003, 01:20 PM
The players association is refusing to understand the realities of hockey's position in sports. Always referred to as the 4th major sport in the U.S. (the predominant market), hockey is actually better ranked as the 8th major sport in the U.S. Ahead of them in importance to the viewing public in order are: Football (American), Baseball, College Football, Basketball, College Basketball, Stock Car racing, and Golf. I base these on the amount of coverage I've noticed on network TV, major national cable channels, and ESPN's main channel, though I may be off in terms of actual ratings, but I'm fairly sure I'm not.

NHL Regular season television ratings are also way below some sporting events which would surprise you. ESPN's Professional Bowling Association games, for example, usually get twice as many viewers in the United States. The sad thing is that the NHL is quickly falling off the radar completely.

Rattrick
12-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Actually, there was an article in the Palm Beach Post and hockey was rated above Nascar, Tennis and Golf. I believe Football, College Football, Baseball, Basketball and College Basketball (in no particular order) were all above NHL Hockey.

MoeHowardDavid
12-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Actually, there was an article in the Palm Beach Post and hockey was rated above Nascar, Tennis and Golf. I believe Football, College Football, Baseball, Basketball and College Basketball (in no particular order) were all above NHL Hockey.

I may be wrong but I think NASCAR is far more popular in the United States than hockey.

Clash*
12-01-2003, 08:00 PM
I may be wrong but I think NASCAR is far more popular in the United States than hockey.
the average race is the equivalent to two sold out NFL games in Nascar, and then you need to figure in the TV contracts for NBC, TNT and Fox (FX also), plus they have their own channel they own in Speed Channel, which is a regular station on most networks now. Right Now, NASCAR generates more money than just about every other sport out there and the fan interest is much greater than just the old school rednecks of the south now.

patastrophe
12-02-2003, 01:37 AM

doesnt make it suck any less LOL

Pantherfemme
12-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Wow, i'm really getting an education here. I always thought hockey players as a whole were paid a heck of a lot less then most of the other major league sports. But is this lockout more about the issue of like how it is in MLB? You know, the Yankees have a salary budget of like 165 million and then the little ol Marlins who have a budget of 60 million (or whatever it is) So like that's why the Yanks have a world Series dynasty because they can afford to buy the best players. Which made the Marlins winning the world series against them so sweet. Is that what the issues are? I mean I can totally agree about the whole fan thing being a huge portion of the pie. I mean dang, the Panthers pretty much suck right now but I still go to games and buy the merchandise not only because I love my team but because I love the game. So yeah, it would totally suck if we had the lockout. Just hope some light bulbs go off in time so we dont miss any ice time. Hope I made sense because Im still learning.... :dunno: