Sonics owner outlines plans for new Seattle Arena...

Dolemite
11-30-2006, 04:06 PM
...that will house the sonics but also ::gasp:: an NHL team. The Arena will be outside the city limits of Seattle (Excellent choice) as the City of Seattle is probably the worst place for a new arena given the Local Governments in the area.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003454358_sonics30m.html

This surprised everyone in the local media yesterday. However, it's clear that the City of Seattle isn't going to let this go without a fight.

"This is less about the Sonics and Storm and more about the development of a community asset," Bennett said. He said he wants a new venue of the type that "doesn't exist here today" — one that could also accommodate an NHL team, Final Four college-basketball-tournament games and even national political conventions.

Discuss.

GKJ
11-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Would it house the Thunderbirds too?

Dolemite
11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Would it house the Thunderbirds too?

I'm not sure. There's been talk of the T-Birds moving to a new arena in Kent, WA (just south of Downtown Seattle).

http://www.kentchamber.com/custom2.asp?pageid=2190

I haven't heard any statements from the T-Birds following the new Arena news.

golfmade
11-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Wouldn't it have to be somewhere outside the Seattle city area, there's no place that I can think of where a new arena would go. Either has to be somewhere south or north.

Dolemite
11-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Wouldn't it have to be somewhere outside the Seattle city area, there's no place that I can think of where a new arena would go. Either has to be somewhere south or north.

There are places in Redmond and Renton and some up north of Kirkland but the problem is, if these areas are to be considered, the highway infrastructure will need to be upgraded as the max capacity of most of the area freeways (mostly all of 405, 520, I-90 and I-5 where some sites were rumored to be located near) were reached about 15 years ago.

The reason why these highways haven't been upgraded is because the governmental officials who are in charge of green lighting these projects are wussies as they don't want to stake their reputation on major highway upgrades.

golfmade
11-30-2006, 11:30 PM
There are places in Redmond and Renton and some up north of Kirkland but the problem is, if these areas are to be considered, the highway infrastructure will need to be upgraded as the max capacity of most of the area freeways (mostly all of 405, 520, I-90 and I-5 where some sites were rumored to be located near) were reached about 15 years ago.

The reason why these highways haven't been upgraded is because the governmental officials who are in charge of green lighting these projects are wussies as they don't want to stake their reputation on major highway upgrades.

Exactly, rather than work on the problem of the freeways years ago they put it off and now it's even worse. I5 is a mess and I don't see how they could expand it, same with the 405.

I don't follow the Sonics as close as I used to but couldn't they just tear down the Key an build a new arena on it, or is the 'shoeprint' of the building too small?

Dolemite
11-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Exactly, rather than work on the problem of the freeways years ago they put it off and now it's even worse. I5 is a mess and I don't see how they could expand it, same with the 405.

I don't follow the Sonics as close as I used to but couldn't they just tear down the Key an build a new arena on it, or is the 'shoeprint' of the building too small?

The City of Seattle is owed $30 million on Key Arena. Barry Ackerly, the former owner of the Sonics at the time of the remodel of Seattle Center Coliseum into Key Arena, decided against making it big enough for NHL and make it a basketball arena only. A costly mistake that is going to bite the City of Seattle in the backside for years to come.

They can't expand I-5 but they can expand all the other freeways.

::edit::

Part of the reason why I moved from Seattle was the transportation situation in the area.

TheDanceOfMaternity
12-09-2006, 11:22 PM
:clap:

Finally. I didn't want to see one of my favorite cities completely deteriorate as a sports town.

It's been beaten to death, but I can't see how Seattle wouldn't be a better hockey town than many of the struggling franchises right now.