Jeff Pietrasiak

Greg
11-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Young Wildcat gets nod

By ROGER BROWN Portsmouth Herald

DURHAM – He hasn’t played a lot, but he has played well. That’s why sophomore goaltender Jeff Pietrasiak will be the University of New Hampshire’s starting goaltender tonight when the third-ranked Wildcats play Rensselaer at the Whittemore Center.

It will be Pietrasiak’s third start of the season and the fourth of his career. In six career appearances he’s 3-0-0 with a 1.44 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage.

Pietrasiak was in goal for victories over Canisius (8-2) and Northeastern (5-2) this season. After Pietrasiak made 26 saves in Saturday’s win over Northeastern, UNH coach Dick Umile said Pietrasiak’s performance earned him another start.

“I felt I’ve played pretty good,” Pietrasiak said. “I’ve felt confident. I think I’ve definitely improved a lot since last year. If I stay focused I feel like I can stop the puck every time.”

Pietrasiak spent two seasons at the Berkshire School before enrolling at UNH, which is 8-3-1 and coming off Tuesday’s 5-4 loss to UMass-Lowell. He was also recruited by Boston College, Michigan, Colorado College, Massachusetts and Yale, and said that his final decision was a choice between BC and UNH.

Pietrasiak played in two games during his freshman year. He stopped 22 shots in a 3-1 victory over Connecticut, and relieved Mike Ayers midway through the third period of an 8-3 triumph against Merrimack.

The Phoenix Coyotes own Pietrasiak’s professional rights. The Coyotes selected him with the 186th pick (sixth round) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

He’s spent most of this season watching Ayers, who shared the 2002-03 Hockey East Player of the Year award with Boston College forward Ben Eaves.

“It’s hard playing behind Mike,” Pietrasiak said. “I’m just happy to play as much as I can and get the experience I’ll need for next year.”

Notes

UNH has received oral commitments from Texas Tornado (NAHL) defenseman Brad Flaishans and Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL) forward Greg Collins. Flaishans, a Glendale, Ariz., resident, will be the first Arizona native to play for UNH. He’s scheduled to join the Wildcats next fall.
link (http://nashuatelegraph.com/Main.asp?SectionID=26&SubSectionID=398&ArticleID=94593)

PhoPhan
11-29-2003, 08:29 PM
:D

Told...ya....soooooo.

LeNeveu Deux

Oilers Chick
11-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Young Wildcat gets nod

By ROGER BROWN Portsmouth Herald

DURHAM – He hasn’t played a lot, but he has played well. That’s why sophomore goaltender Jeff Pietrasiak will be the University of New Hampshire’s starting goaltender tonight when the third-ranked Wildcats play Rensselaer at the Whittemore Center.

It will be Pietrasiak’s third start of the season and the fourth of his career. In six career appearances he’s 3-0-0 with a 1.44 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage.

Pietrasiak was in goal for victories over Canisius (8-2) and Northeastern (5-2) this season. After Pietrasiak made 26 saves in Saturday’s win over Northeastern, UNH coach Dick Umile said Pietrasiak’s performance earned him another start.

“I felt I’ve played pretty good,” Pietrasiak said. “I’ve felt confident. I think I’ve definitely improved a lot since last year. If I stay focused I feel like I can stop the puck every time.”

Pietrasiak spent two seasons at the Berkshire School before enrolling at UNH, which is 8-3-1 and coming off Tuesday’s 5-4 loss to UMass-Lowell. He was also recruited by Boston College, Michigan, Colorado College, Massachusetts and Yale, and said that his final decision was a choice between BC and UNH.

Pietrasiak played in two games during his freshman year. He stopped 22 shots in a 3-1 victory over Connecticut, and relieved Mike Ayers midway through the third period of an 8-3 triumph against Merrimack.

The Phoenix Coyotes own Pietrasiak’s professional rights. The Coyotes selected him with the 186th pick (sixth round) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

He’s spent most of this season watching Ayers, who shared the 2002-03 Hockey East Player of the Year award with Boston College forward Ben Eaves.

“It’s hard playing behind Mike,” Pietrasiak said. “I’m just happy to play as much as I can and get the experience I’ll need for next year.”

Notes

UNH has received oral commitments from Texas Tornado (NAHL) defenseman Brad Flaishans and Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL) forward Greg Collins. Flaishans, a Glendale, Ariz., resident, will be the first Arizona native to play for UNH. He’s scheduled to join the Wildcats next fall.
link (http://nashuatelegraph.com/Main.asp?SectionID=26&SubSectionID=398&ArticleID=94593)

What the article fails to mention is why. Ayers has been struggling of late and so Dick Umile (UNH head coach) decided to go with Pietrasiak. I will say this though, in the only UNH game thus far that I've seen Pietrasiak start, he looked very good. He looked confident, cool as a cucumber and got a win for UNH. He should do well and I hope he does. UNH is a very good team.