What's the deal with Mike Sillinger?

G'aal
11-30-2003, 02:54 AM
He's been a reasonably productive center in the NHL (40-50 point range) and his acquisition cost wasn't cheap (Teppo Numminen). Can anyone explain to me why he's languishing on the 'Yotes fourth line?

I know he had hernia surgery, so maybe he's just recovering and needs to play limited minutes right now. Is that it, or is there something else?

Just curious -- he's been fairly consistent in the NHL despite his many changes of venue, so it was surprising to see that he's only on the 4th line. Plus, his salary is a little on the expensive side for that role.

XX
11-30-2003, 07:42 AM
He should be paired with grinding guys that can score, not Nash. Sillinger is probably to me the best sniper on the team after Nagy, hes scored many a goal on 2 on 1s where he just rips it high.

I just wish he had some talent to play with him.

CoyoteBaloney
11-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Sillinger has a different role this season then he has had in his recent seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets. With Columbus he was asked to score. With Phoenix he is asked to play defense. Therefore, you can't expect the same production from him or any player when their role and responsibilities change. Hence you cannot compare Gratton and Briere stat for stat.

ulf
11-30-2003, 12:01 PM
gratton...sillinger ...johnson/wilson would be a very effective control and shut down line if that's what francis had in mind.

nagy sillinger bronco could be an effective attack line with speed, but i agree he is being inappropriately used imo

no matter what he still needs a fire lit under him as one of the vet leaders that his is supposed to be.

G'aal
11-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Sillinger has a different role this season then he has had in his recent seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets. With Columbus he was asked to score. With Phoenix he is asked to play defense. Therefore, you can't expect the same production from him or any player when their role and responsibilities change. Hence you cannot compare Gratton and Briere stat for stat.

Makes sense, though Sillinger can score, as evidenced by his career 13% shooting. Seems strange that he'd be utilized in a defensive-only (or primarily) role when he's got offensive skills.

My guess is that he'll not last the year in Phoenix. Someone will come knocking looking for a 3rd line/occasional 2nd line centerman, which is where he probably should be.

11-30-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I assume Sillinger is receiving far less even strength and power play time on the ice than he has the past few years on other teams, mostly playing the 4th line and PK unit. Ice time definitely factors into it, but I've been very pleased with Sillinger and he's become a key to the PK winning the draws. Only Gratton & Sillinger are outdrawing the opponents on an average basis.