Petr Bondra

robertch
11-30-2003, 05:38 AM
Is Petr Bondra Slovak? This is what I thought, but TSN has him listed as Ukrainian. Is this a mistake? Thanks for your input.

kacz
11-30-2003, 05:52 AM
No mistake. Peter was born in Luck (Pronounced Lutsk), Ukraine.

Ukrainian hockey players before 1992 had to either go as Russians or escape from communisum. If it wasn't for the lack of hockey in Ukraine, we would of had an awesome team.

robertch
11-30-2003, 06:01 AM
true that. I always liked Khristich too.

kacz
11-30-2003, 06:08 AM
true that. I always liked Khristich too.

Yeah, he's playing in Europe right now. He's a regular for Ukraine at the World Championships...

e-e
11-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Peter Bondra was born on February 7, 1968 in the Ukrainian town of Lutsk (Luck). Peter's parents met in the late 1960's in Ukraine where they had gone to seek work. Peter's father was a bus driver and the family moved to Czechoslovakia, the father's home, when Peter was three years old. He hasn't much to do with Ukraine but first 3 years of his life.

Ego
12-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Peter Bondra was born on February 7, 1968 in the Ukrainian town of Lutsk (Luck). Peter's parents met in the late 1960's in Ukraine where they had gone to seek work. Peter's father was a bus driver and the family moved to Czechoslovakia, the father's home, when Peter was three years old. He hasn't much to do with Ukraine but first 3 years of his life.

He has so much to do with Ukraine as Stan Mikita with Slovakia. Mikita was born in SLovakia, but moved to Canada before he even started play hockey.

e-e
12-02-2003, 09:21 AM
He has so much to do with Ukraine as Stan Mikita with Slovakia. Mikita was born in SLovakia, but moved to Canada before he even started play hockey.

agree. mikita hasn't much to do with slovakia except his parents.
on the other side need to say the bondra's grown up in slovakia with ukraine passport. he could't even play for czechoslovakia until he got slovak passport in early 90's.
he's played for slovakia's national team since. i'd guess he consider himself a slovak. but to make sure we gotta ask him. :teach:

bobbyboucher24
12-06-2003, 09:03 AM
I knew Bondra was born in the Ukraine, but I thought he was ethnically Slovak? Isn't his last name Slovak?

e-e
12-07-2003, 10:50 AM
I knew Bondra was born in the Ukraine, but I thought he was ethnically Slovak? Isn't his last name Slovak?
his father is slovak and peter has his name... :teach:

kajoo
12-22-2003, 12:45 PM
As far as I know Peter consider himself Slovak born in Ukraine nowadays living in the States. Frankly, what are we thinking isnīt as important as his belief. Wish I were so sight for to be Slovak, Ukrainian or Ruthenian as Peter by people of all of these nations.