Bednar released, McNeill reassigned to SA.

Crossbar
12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
http://www.floridapanthers.com/pressbox/news/1201bednar.shtml

12/1/2003
PANTHERS REASSIGN McNEILL, RELEASE BEDNAR
Stewart, Swanson to Attend World Junior Selection Camp
SUNRISE - Florida Panthers General Manager and Head Coach Rick Dudley announced Monday that D Grant McNeill [right] has been reassigned to San Antonio of the American Hockey League, the club's top developmental affiliate, and RW Jaroslav Bednar has cleared unconditional waivers and come to a mutual release agreement with the team. Accordingly, Bednar is now no longer under contract with the Panthers.

"In Grant's case, we want him playing, developing and improving in San Antonio," Dudley said. "He's going to be an NHL player, he just needs to gain some more professional experience at the AHL level. With the play of some of our younger players recently, Jaroslav has not had the opportunity to play regularly here. We have had several players in the organization that we feel have moved by him on the depth chart, and we wanted to give him the opportunity to play elsewhere."

McNeill, 20, skated in three games since being recalled from the Rampage on Nov. 22. The 6-foot-2, 214-pound native of Vermilion, Alberta, made his NHL debut on Nov. 22 at Washington. McNeill has played 13 games with San Antonio this season and leads the Rampage in penalty minutes (51).

Bednar, 27, has appeared in 13 games with Florida this season, scoring one goal and adding an assist for two points. The 6-foot, 198-pound native of Prague, Czech Republic, began the season with the Rampage, scoring three points (two goals, one assist) in two games. He was recalled by the Panthers on Oct. 12.

STEWART, SWANSON TO ATTEND WORLD JUNIOR SELECTION CAMP

Panthers prospects RW Anthony Stewart and D Jeremy Swanson are among 34 players who will battle for spots on the Canadian World Junior Team at a selection camp in Kitchener, Ontario. The camp, which will take place Dec. 11-18, will determine which players represent Canada in the 2004 IIHF World Junior Championship in Finland from Dec. 26, 2003 to Jan. 5, 2004.

Stewart, 18, was a Florida Panthers first-round selection (25th overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft in Nashville. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound native of LaSalle, Quebec, has tallied 28 points (17 goals, 11 assists) with 40 penalty minutes in 21 games this season with the Kingston Frontenacs of the Ontario Hockey League. His 17 goals ties him for fourth among all OHL goal scorers.

Swanson, 19, was Florida's sixth-round choice (169th overall) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. The 6-foot, 208-pound native of Red Rock, Ontario, has 14 points (two goals, 12 assists) with 44 penalty minutes in 28 games this season with the OHL's Barrie Colts. He leads all Barrie defensemen in points and is tied for 13th among all OHL defensemen.

Acadmus
12-02-2003, 03:57 AM
Isn't this the first time in their 11 year history the Panthers have released and NHL-caliber player mid-season?

Takkie
12-02-2003, 05:58 AM
Isn't this the first time in their 11 year history the Panthers have released and NHL-caliber player mid-season?

i'm more bummed that mcneil got sent down, i liked the kid alot.

Heimy
12-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Here's another case of pisspoor asset management. I think I see a pattern developing and I don't like it. :(

Acadmus
12-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Here's another case of pisspoor asset management. I think I see a pattern developing and I don't like it. :(

Heimy, I don't think any of us should judge the asset management of ANY general manager this season, as they're all likely to make moves that don't normally make sense. Bednar cleared waivers, which means Dudley couldn't get much for him anyway, so why keep an unhappy player on your payroll sucking up a cool $1 million or so? I'm guessing the odd behavior in letting so many players go for no return has to do with expectations for next season - you know, the one where no games will be played and little in terms of revenue will be recognized? And after that, where a salary cap may be in place and a useless piece may prevent you from having the money to retain a needed piece? Remember, Jokinen and Kozlov, amongst others, are on one-year deals.

Burke's Evil Spirit
12-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Damn, I rather liked Bednar...

Jeff Shafer
12-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Bednar has the skill but hasn't put it all together yet, hopefully he can get a chance on another team to show what the Panthers wanted of him.

sting_fan
12-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Bednar was making $500,000 and had a contract that was set to expire at seasons end. Dudley commented in the preseason how impressed he was with Bednar's play. All three beat reporters made reference to Bednar having a strong camp. After all that, Dudley sends him down. No question in my mind that decision was influenced by the fact Bednar filed for arbitration in the offseason. Dudley didn't like the idea and ultimately made Bednar pay, initially as GM, and later as coach.

I'm happy to see Bednar go, for his own sake.

Pigge
12-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Maybe Bednar turned into a locker room cancer.

Crossbar
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Consider that we called up Weiss and Nedorost from the Rampage this year and might want them both to stick around (Weiss for sure will stay) and now Cullen, Samuelsson, MacDonald, and Ritchie are all coming back from IR (Messier not too far away either) we have no room for Bednar on a 22/23 man roster and hes too expensive for the AHL, plus Bednar isn't exactly young for a sophmore NHLer.

PantherBlood6*
12-02-2003, 09:01 PM
Maybe Bednar turned into a locker room cancer.

Bednar is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He'll spend 15-20 minutes talking to fans after a game no matter how bad he or the team may have played. He's shy, too so I doubt that was it.

He's just a 27 year old skilled forward on a team with too many skilled forwards. He fell victim of the numbers game, guys like Nedorost, Kolnik, beat him out because they're younger.

I still don't agree with guys like Samuelsson Cullen MacDonald or Ritchie getting chances to play over Bednar. Samuelsson has been useless for the most part all year long, same for MacDonald aside from his faceoffs. I like Ritchie but his upside isnt much more than a 4th liner and Cullen is decent, but not close to being worth the 1.85 mil he's getting. Even Novoseltsev has had more chances to play than Bednar under Dudley.

Sting is probably right, Dudley hates arbitration and this and the Worrell trade may be a way to send his message. I hope Bednar shows Dudley up on this one...I really liked Jaro and only hope the best for him.

patastrophe
12-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Bednar is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He'll spend 15-20 minutes talking to fans after a game no matter how bad he or the team may have played. He's shy, too so I doubt that was it.

He's just a 27 year old skilled forward on a team with too many skilled forwards. He fell victim of the numbers game, guys like Nedorost, Kolnik, beat him out because they're younger.

I still don't agree with guys like Samuelsson Cullen MacDonald or Ritchie getting chances to play over Bednar. Samuelsson has been useless for the most part all year long, same for MacDonald aside from his faceoffs. I like Ritchie but his upside isnt much more than a 4th liner and Cullen is decent, but not close to being worth the 1.85 mil he's getting. Even Novoseltsev has had more chances to play than Bednar under Dudley.

Sting is probably right, Dudley hates arbitration and this and the Worrell trade may be a way to send his message. I hope Bednar shows Dudley up on this one...I really liked Jaro and only hope the best for him.

i have no doubt bednar is a nice guy. i also have no doubt that fl is running a low payroll.

the question to be asked, though, is this: in all the ice time he's gotten this season and last (and he got a pretty fair bit last year), what did he ever do? and whatever he did, was it enough to warrant filing for arbitration or demanding a trade?

in my mind floating and avoiding physical contact and putting up 20 points (3 total pp points for a guy thats supposed to be an offensive threat) in 65 games doesnt earn you that right.

its not bad asset mgmt if the asset in question has preven himself not to be an asset. so there, asset asset asset.

wint
12-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Maybe the Bednar release is part of a fundraiser to pay Larry Robinson to coach for the rest of the year? Assuming that the Panthers payed Jaro half of what he was owed for the rest of the season, that would add another $150,000-$200,000 to the cause.

Acadmus
12-03-2003, 06:09 AM
Bednar was making $500,000 and had a contract that was set to expire at seasons end. Dudley commented in the preseason how impressed he was with Bednar's play. All three beat reporters made reference to Bednar having a strong camp. After all that, Dudley sends him down. No question in my mind that decision was influenced by the fact Bednar filed for arbitration in the offseason. Dudley didn't like the idea and ultimately made Bednar pay, initially as GM, and later as coach.

I'm happy to see Bednar go, for his own sake.

Well, regardless of my being wrong on the amount (though I still suspected his contract expired at year end) I still think this loss, and others Dudley has allowed this year, are more a part of the unusual economics and conflict strategy going into important negotiations between the NHL teams and the players' union. Too many assets are being allowed to just walk away or be taken for chump change (the minor fee necessary to claim someone off waivers). No GM would allow that under normal circumstances. Also consider the number of free agents remaining unsigned, the number of one-year contracts signed this off-season, and the number of upper-echelon players placed on waivers and not touched by other teams (highlighted by Curtis Joseph). Teams just don't want to be tied down to these assets if they don't have to be.

$500,000 isn't much to save, but put it in the bank instead of shelling it out to Bednar all season and it'll cover the salaries of probably 4 - 6 staffers in the organization next year if there's a lockout.

Rattrick
12-03-2003, 06:25 AM
Let me do my own version of explaining the situation:

Bednar didn't like sitting and doing nothing and didn't want to be with the team. The result? He got his wish and was released. I liked him as a person/player myself, but if you don't want to be with the team (regardless if you're Luongo, Bouwmeester, Jokinen let alone Bednar), see ya!

Heimy
12-03-2003, 06:34 AM
i have no doubt bednar is a nice guy. i also have no doubt that fl is running a low payroll.

the question to be asked, though, is this: in all the ice time he's gotten this season and last (and he got a pretty fair bit last year), what did he ever do? and whatever he did, was it enough to warrant filing for arbitration or demanding a trade?

in my mind floating and avoiding physical contact and putting up 20 points (3 total pp points for a guy thats supposed to be an offensive threat) in 65 games doesnt earn you that right.

its not bad asset mgmt if the asset in question has preven himself not to be an asset. so there, asset asset asset.

Well, he lead all rookies in assists last season even though he only played 65 games. Considering he rarely if ever played big minutes or with scoring lines and you've got something quite noteworthy. He also was a leading scorer in both the Czech and Finnish Elite leagues. The guy can play and he very much wanted to. He wasn't provided the chance here and that's why I said what I did. It's not like we've got an over-abundance of scoring.

sting_fan
12-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Let me do my own version of explaining the situation:

Bednar didn't like sitting and doing nothing and didn't want to be with the team. The result? He got his wish and was released. I liked him as a person/player myself, but if you don't want to be with the team (regardless if you're Luongo, Bouwmeester, Jokinen let alone Bednar), see ya!

Be with the team? If I were Bednar, I wouldn't want to be with the team either. He's sat in the pressbox for the last 7 games. Don't forget, these guys have a lot of pride; money isn't everything.

Bednar was a cheaper upgrade over Samuelsson. I would have much rather seen Bednar on the ice and Samuelsson in the pressbox.

Acadmus
12-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Be with the team? If I were Bednar, I wouldn't want to be with the team either. He's sat in the pressbox for the last 7 games. Don't forget, these guys have a lot of pride; money isn't everything.

Bednar was a cheaper upgrade over Samuelsson. I would have much rather seen Bednar on the ice and Samuelsson in the pressbox.

It might be due to Bednar's early request to be traded, after he sat just for a couple of games. That's probably why, when Samuelsson WAS in the press box lately due to injury, Kolnik got the call up and Bednar still sat.

patastrophe
12-03-2003, 04:36 PM

samuelsson backchecks...something we dont have a lot of.

patastrophe
12-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Well, he lead all rookies in assists last season even though he only played 65 games. Considering he rarely if ever played big minutes or with scoring lines and you've got something quite noteworthy. He also was a leading scorer in both the Czech and Finnish Elite leagues. The guy can play and he very much wanted to. He wasn't provided the chance here and that's why I said what I did. It's not like we've got an over-abundance of scoring.

he spent a fair amount of second line time with both us and an injury riddled kings squad.

as far as czech and finnish leagues...two words: jiri dopita.