Vince Bellissimo

Erack82
12-02-2003, 12:38 AM
I know that Vince isn't a highly touted prospect like a Nathan Horton or Petr Taticek. But I thought I would give you all an update on how he has been progressing.

There have been a few pleasent surprises that I have seen from Vince so far this season....

1) He has added a step of quickness to his skating this year. Vince is by no means a speedster make no mistake, but he has improved his skating from last season which is something he needs to continue doing if he wants to turn pro.

2) Stepping up the physical play. Never known as a banger, he is getting in the trenches a little more this year than last year, Vince is using his size a little bit more which is something that I have been wanting to see from the guy. Last year he seemed to avoid all physical play and his 18 PIM last year showed that. Not to be confused with a powerfoward, he hs already picked up 14PIM in 17 games this season.

3) Leadership. When senior captain Dana Lattery went down with an injury, it was a huge blow to the team. But both on and off the ice Vince was noted as one of the team leaders already as a sophmore, picking up the slack in Lattery's absence. Something which is always a plus for a young prospect.

Overall it seems like Vince is developing nicely and is slowly starting to round out his game. One thing he still needs to improve on is his defensive awareness. Granted WMU is a horrible defensive team. I am hoping he can start to learn the defensive game a little more and actually get used on the PK next season.

Stats so far this season....
17GP 5G 11A 16PTS 14PIM +5

Crossbar
12-02-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks Erack82! We don't hear very much about Vince so the comments/opinions are much appreciated!

hockeyking
12-02-2003, 06:30 PM
at the end of the day........prospects like bellisimo are the types of players that would put taticek and horton in their back pockets. when it comes to raw talent those two arent close to bellisimo. i have nhl center ice and horton(even though he's only an 85) doesn't impress me one bit. taticek hasn't done a thing in the minors.
i remember watching bellisimo play tier 2 at st. michael's. solid player who rarely makes mistakes. also has some of the nicest hands ive ever seen. i saw him again last year on satelite versus notre dame in his freshman year. this kid is gonna be an impact guy. he does not get very much hype being a fifth or sixth rounder. but dont let that fool you.
i also got to see a bit of rob globke in that game too. this is another kid who looks like a real player and not a hype job. big kid who can skate and score. a real nhl type. my point is at the end of the day players like these two guys always end up being the impact guys. the tools are there.

hockeyking
12-02-2003, 06:39 PM
also, i think i remember reading a couple of summers ago that dudley was really impressed with bellisimo and globke and believed they both have bright futures. this might have been from one of their summer prospect camps that they had. i think bellisimo might have lead the scrimmages in scoring along with weiss.

Pie Man
12-02-2003, 11:09 PM
also, i think i remember reading a couple of summers ago that dudley was really impressed with bellisimo and globke and believed they both have bright futures. this might have been from one of their summer prospect camps that they had. i think bellisimo might have lead the scrimmages in scoring along with weiss.

Yeah thats right! After Bellisimo was drafted and then they enter a summer camp or something and after watching Bellissimo played Dudley said the like Bellissiome quite a bit as he does everything on the ice! and then I draft him in my fantasy league...

Erack82
12-03-2003, 04:23 AM
Bellissimo has always been an impact guy, with St. Michaels, with Topeka, and now with Western Michigan. The scored a hatrick in his first ever CCHA (exhibition).

One thing I really think he needs to work on is his acceleration and overallspeed. Vince looks average at best in terms of skating at the CCHA level. But yes I do agree he does have some nice hands. He does score a bunch from in close, both the pretty goals and garbage goals.

Erack82
12-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Globke's Irish vs Bellissimo's Broncos tonight.. I'll try and give an update after the game.

Foppa
12-05-2003, 02:24 PM
I had the pleasure of watching Vince play with the USHL's now defunct Topeka Scarecrows for a season. He could absolutely toy with most USHL defenders. Scored from anywhere and everywhere on the ice. Looked plenty fast...but this was the USHL, not major college hockey so it could have been a bit of a mirage.

Got myself a signed Bellissimo bobblehead on bobblehead night and have kept in safe-keeping in case he ever made it big. Plus he's got a cool name...everytime he scored we would yell 'BBBBBEEEELLLLLISSSSSSSIMMMOOOOOOOO'

I sure hope he keeps developing. Would be fun for me to see an NHL player who spent part of his time developing in the middle of the Kansas wheatfields :)

evildreams
12-05-2003, 04:44 PM
at the end of the day........prospects like bellisimo are the types of players that would put taticek and horton in their back pockets. when it comes to raw talent those two arent close to bellisimo. i have nhl center ice and horton(even though he's only an 85) doesn't impress me one bit. taticek hasn't done a thing in the minors.
i remember watching bellisimo play tier 2 at st. michael's. solid player who rarely makes mistakes. also has some of the nicest hands ive ever seen. i saw him again last year on satelite versus notre dame in his freshman year. this kid is gonna be an impact guy. he does not get very much hype being a fifth or sixth rounder. but dont let that fool you.
i also got to see a bit of rob globke in that game too. this is another kid who looks like a real player and not a hype job. big kid who can skate and score. a real nhl type. my point is at the end of the day players like these two guys always end up being the impact guys. the tools are there.

i co,pletely agree with your take on guys like bellisimo, but the reality is that nhl teams are forced to justify high draft choices, thus leaving lower round picks to dwindle in obscurity. guys like bellisimo almost never make it.

Erack82
12-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Looked plenty fast...but this was the USHL, not major college hockey so it could have been a bit of a mirage.

Yeah that is the USHL. His freshman year he looked a step slow. But this year, he has shown improvement like I have said. Today against Notre Dame he was just flying! I believe he had a 3 point night. Totally outplayed Globke. Globke did show nice moves taking advantage of his size, but so far Bellissimo has been the go to guy and is already a fan favorite. He is still along shot, but I think at least he could be come a quality AHLer. Something along the lines of Oilers property Mike Bishai who reminds me alot of Vince.

Erack82
12-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Actually make that a 4 point night for Vince. (1G 3A) :D

Coolburn
12-06-2003, 03:50 AM
Damn was that a hockey scoring fest or what...the final score was 8-6!! Glad to hear Vince is improving in many areas...he still has a few yrs to prove himself though which could work to his benefit really. Hopefully by the time he's a senior, he will be a polished prospect and a good possibility for making it to the NHL.

Erack82
12-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Oh yeah, it was a great game to watch, lots of scoring, lots of hitting. One thing though, goaltending was AWFUL. I wan't expecting that from Notre Dame, but WMU's offensive can explode at any time. Should be another great game tonight. I'll try and fill you all in on that game as well.

hockeyking
12-06-2003, 11:28 AM
i co,pletely agree with your take on guys like bellisimo, but the reality is that nhl teams are forced to justify high draft choices, thus leaving lower round picks to dwindle in obscurity. guys like bellisimo almost never make it.
i understand your point of view. i still think though that at the end of the day, the best players make it. just have a look at all of the guys in the national hockey league drafted after the second or third round. yes the higher picks get the best opportunity to perform, thats obvious espescially in florida, but the bottom line is wins. players make it if they are good enough

Erack82
12-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Globke played a much stronger game posting 2 assists, he played more physical than yeserdays game, but ND still lose 6-4. Where has their defence gone? 14 GA in two games? Yikes. Bellissimo was a scratch because of an injury? I'm not sure what but I will try and find out. I didn't see anything wrong with him yesterday? :dunno: Shouldn't be too serious.